PDA

View Full Version : Fighter call outs wreak of WWE

FCK
10-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Is it just me, or are you getting slightly annoyed at the lack of respect UFC fighters are showing to each other now, before and post fight.

Nick Diaz's latest calling out of GSP, calling him a motherfucker, and scared of him, just seems completely unecessary, rude and disrespectful.

I'm not offended by the language used, although I think its rude to use it against the champ, who has done nothing to wrong/upset you personally. Diaz fucked up his chance to fight GSP originally due to his own stupid fault. He tried to explain it was everyone else but HIS fault in a god awful excuse.

We didn't see GSP call Diaz a motherfucker and an unprofessional bell end for that did we? - NO

Diaz doing this stupid call out just reminds me of Chael Sonnen's disrespect towards Anderson Silva after his fight with Brian Stann. Chael's opinion then and post fight comments were just embarassing to me as a MMA fan. It totally feels like MMA is slipping down a slipperly slope of getting closer and closer to WWE.

Is this just an effort to gain more status and money from fights?

Is this a move that Dana encourages fighters to do to gain more fans from WWE?

Either way, I HATE IT. I try and tell my mates who aren't MMA fans that MMA fighters have a lot of respect for other fighters, and its nothing like WWE, but when the biggest championship fights are marred by one fighter running his mouth off, insulting the others wife, saying he's faking an injury, saying he's scared, its a hard argument to win.

cjamis000
10-30-2011, 03:33 PM
i think this is exactly what you should expect from diaz. nick diaz has grown on me over the past couple of years because he really does come in to fight and he puts on great fights. but, expecting him to act respectful and mature is really unrealistic. i dont even view him as being good at hyping fights, he is really just good at fighting and doing things to make himself look bad.

Death Beast
10-30-2011, 03:33 PM
As much as you hate it, that's how much casual fans love it. Those are the ones who are more likely to spend money on PPVs, as opposed to hardcore fans who only pay when they really want to support a fighter and know where to watch for free if not.

This isn't just a WWE thing either. Pride used to do these types of things all the time. Boxing has always featured people calling each other out and trash talking to help sell the fights. I really don't have a problem with it since it does help sell fights and increase the sport's popularity overall. Everytime someone watches hoping Brock or Nick will spaz, there's a chance they'll enjoy the rest of the card and realize that there's more to it than that.

noahm
10-30-2011, 03:39 PM
i think this is exactly what you should expect from diaz. nick diaz has grown on me over the past couple of years because he really does come in to fight and he puts on great fights. but, expecting him to act respectful and mature is really unrealistic. i dont even view him as being good at hyping fights, he is really just good at fighting and doing things to make himself look bad.

qft

Trustym2
10-30-2011, 03:43 PM
It builds up the next fight. Like it or not, it gets people interested. The bad thing with Diaz though, is he'll do that after a fight, then he'll disappear and you won't hear from him again to keep hyping the fight.

likebutta
10-30-2011, 04:51 PM
lol, sorry dude but even though I don't follow WWE or pro wrestling much at all anymore, don't try to put shit like that and compare diaz calling somebody a motherfucker "WWE-like". WWE has more class than that.

K1NG P3NN
10-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Chael really doesnt like Anderson. And Diaz doesnt like anyone. It's not fake in these instances. I feel like when GSP did that dumb little "imprezzed" speech, that was orchestrated. But I have no problem with them not getting along. Alot of times, it makes better fights.

Xtremo
10-30-2011, 05:50 PM
OK it's like this...

Dana IS NOT telling fighters to go out and disrespect other fighters in order to create a buzz among the ufc fans and media...

Nick Diaz is just being Nick Diaz...

Sonnen is a good guy in person, but he knows that to get back into the title shot picture, he needs to stir up the mma community and do whatever he has to in order to get the title shot. He doesn't care if he has to go and disrespect Silva's wife or not...He doesn't care if he'll be seen as the bad guy...He just wants another shot...And guess what? He now has it.

How many guys have lost against Silva and how many of them got another title shot after just one win... Sonnen knows what he is doing, Barnett knows what he is doing...
On a related note, Sonnen actually almost graduated from the WCW Power Plant in 01', before WCW was bought by the WWE in 01'. (http://www.fightopinion.com/2010/05/09/chael-sonnen-wcw-pro-wrestling-paulo-filho/) That is where his heel character comes from. And we know Barnett has wrestled for a long time in Japan. It's good for them and they know it. They know how to market themselves, and they do it well.

Now Nick Diaz is just the type of guy to speak his mind. I'm not going to get into the whole Diaz upbringing thing, but it is who he is and ain't no stopping that. If GSP grew up where Nick grew up, we'd maybe see a different GSP. If Nick grew up how GSP grew up, we'd see a more humble Nick.

Koscheck also play his character real good.

These four fighters come to mind as to how the UFC looks like the WWE. But it's only four fighters out of how many??? Plus their is nothing wrong with UFC looking like the WWE. Everyone knows the WWE is more entertainment and the UFC is the real deal. If fighters have bad blood against one another, what's wrong with that?? It makes for a more interesting show leading up to the fight. To quote Eric Bischoff, "Bad blood creates controversy and controversy creates cash".

Instead of writing all of what you wrote, you should have just wrote, I hate the WWE and I fucking hate Nick Diaz... and I know that is a fact...

Nothing wrong with about 3 % of fighters acting out...Dana has already said he would deal with them one way or the other....

OH and Nick Diaz did say at the press conference that, "You see what I have to do in order to get a title shot??!". He said that regarding him being disrespectful to Georges after the fight. And he said that right after Dana announced Diaz vs GSP. Dana said Nick fired GSP up so bad and that GSP wanted to fight Diaz now instead of Condit. And that was when Nick said that line. So maybe Nick does know what he is doing when he opens his mouth. Then Dana said, "you want it, you got it".

Your whole rant is like saying Mayweather is turning Boxing into the WWE. No, these fighters are going to be who ever they want to be...If some fighters are disrespectful, so be it. That is why casual mma fans buy these pay per views, to see the Koschecks, the Diaz, the Mayweathers maybe get their ass kicked...

Oh and how did I forget Brock..

MIZjitsZOU
10-30-2011, 06:21 PM
^^^^This and all of this! Rep'd.

Trodden
10-30-2011, 07:29 PM
this argument is simple

Its all about getting people talking, not imitating.

The WWE does that shit to get people talking. Some MMA fighters talk shit to get people talking, not to emulate the WWE

I personally hate all of it, (except for Mayhem, he's fucking funny), but I hate people comparing MMA to professional wrestling in any way

Hdrs
10-30-2011, 09:49 PM
The fact that anyone would have to defend the legitimacy or 'class' of MMA to a non-MMA fan says more about the non-fan than it does MMA. Personally I think that anyone who judges combat sports based on how much or how little it resembles pro wrestling is a bit short sighted on their part.

Whether you're a fan or not I think it's important to remember that (like it or not) 'entertainment' is a very big part of this and any other sport. That being said, it's a little easier to understand where the trash talking comes from. Is it disrespectful and juvenile? Maybe...depends on who you ask. Does it sell tickets and PPV buys? ABSOLUTELY!!

Like the others have already said, the fighters in question know that making some noise to get the right people's attention isn't just done with punches, kicks and submissions. Sometimes in order to get people to really hear you...you have to open your mouth.

dj triple
10-31-2011, 02:06 AM
comparing the ufc and the wwe is completely stupid because no matter what there is going to be a lot similarities.. it's like trying to compare the backstreet boys to real music..

Jelyman
10-31-2011, 02:24 AM
Yeah the comparison is a stretch to say the least, but I can see how it can get a bit annoying.

What I did find a little funny was how it seemed initially like Diaz wasn't going to say anything but then Rogan kept on prodding. Of course it takes a feather to prod Diaz and voila.

Sniggles
10-31-2011, 04:13 AM
The only reason that fighters calling out other fighters out after a win seems WWE-esque is because you were once a WWE fanatic. Combat sports have had call outs for since the dawn of time. Who can really blame a contender, who is jacked on adrenaline from participating in a war, for letting everyone know who's head he wants next.

Of course the words that Nick Diaz spat out were disrespectful but he has the right to say whatever he wants. Noone stands behind your shoulder and tells you what you shouldn't say so what right do you have to bitch about what someone has to say about who they want to fight next in their career. Get over yourself if you think it is MORALLY wrong for a fighter to be disrespectful to another. Do you live on another planet?

dmc_tim
10-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Is it just me, or are you getting slightly annoyed at the lack of respect UFC fighters are showing to each other now, before and post fight.az doing this stupid call out just reminds me of Chael Sonnen's disrespect towards Anderson Silva after his fight with Brian Stann.

no, i actually enjoy it from time to time honestly. what i get tired of all the time is the huggin and hand shaking before and after every fight,if they did it anymore id think every fighter was gay together. i get tired of hearing 99 percent of fighters saying "this guys a great fighter" "toughest fight of my career" "hes really good" blah blah blah and all that crap when they dont mean it. say what you feel is all i can say, if all you yearn for is the crap they make the fighters say, then you'd be a good politician.

Y2JUBAE
10-31-2011, 08:55 AM
They are just trying to get noticed. Everyone saw how GSP got his title shot against Matt Hughes and now everyone tries to do it... Diaz however, right along with his entire ring crew are nothing but thugs.

nezlam1
10-31-2011, 03:59 PM
no, i actually enjoy it from time to time honestly. what i get tired of all the time is the huggin and hand shaking before and after every fight,if they did it anymore id think every fighter was gay together. i get tired of hearing 99 percent of fighters saying "this guys a great fighter" "toughest fight of my career" "hes really good" blah blah blah and all that crap when they dont mean it. say what you feel is all i can say, if all you yearn for is the crap they make the fighters say, then you'd be a good politician.

I see nothing wrong with two fighters shaking hands or hugging after a fight. It's just a way of showing respect to a fellow fight for having balls enough to fight you. Matter of a fact it's something I always like about MMA.

JPeezy
11-03-2011, 03:14 PM
I watch MMA to be entertained. If a guy calls out another fighter in an entertaining way (Sonnen to Silva after his last fight), I am all for it.

trustkill
11-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Is this just an effort to gain more status and money from fights?

Unfortunately, yes.

I'm sure many hardcore fans on this board have served as an MMA liason . . . hosting UFC parties and helping casual fans find an entry point into the sport. I was happy that my casual fan friends enjoyed the UFC136 fights . . . but I had mixed feelings when Chael called out Anderson after the fight. I laughed and cringed at the same time . . . I was worried that my casual fan friends might accuse me of hosting a worked fight/staged event. At the end of the day, some of those casual fans might transform into real fight fans. And that's what matters.

Masscore
11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Calls outs happen in all sports. So I really have no problem with it. Can it annoy me, sure but overall its a part of all sports and it will always be a part of all sports.

Y2JUBAE
11-17-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't mind the calling out so much, but Diaz just had no class. Sonnen calling Silva out was fine to me until he backed out of his own challenge.

It seems like since GSP got that title shot from his famous call out of Hughes, everyone and their mom has started catching on to it. it works, hype yourself into a fight, but if you lose and you call someone out... you really look like an idiot.