PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock as a coach

TapOut27
06-28-2006, 03:34 AM
I now have formed a different opinion on shamrock as a coach for the 3rd season of TUF. Now his team did not respect him or his methods during the show, and he basically got his ass kicked for all basis of competition. While tito drove his team to winning both titles. Ken was a good coach on the show, but a terrible trainer.

After rewatching most of the episodes before the finale went live I saw that ken did not push his guys to the extent of tito, and was not rolling with his guys. The trainers he brought with him were a joke, and did not compare to saul or lister. Why am I argueing that he was a good coach?! Simple, during the beginning episodes, he told each team member what they sucked at and what they needed to improve upon. During each fighters fight, the advice that he was giving his fighters was perfect, but not one of the fighters listened to anything he said because they lacked respect for him do to the training sessions. All of the openings for attacks he yelled for were not only wide open, but would have changed the direction of the fights.

Now shamrock is by far teh worst trainer to have appeared on the show, and probably will be the worst for some time, however his advice to his fighters during hte matches was exactly what they should have done to win the fight. I can't remember how many times he shouted high kick! Anyways, these are my observations from rewatching the show :blink:

Afro
06-28-2006, 03:47 AM
I agree, the guys he picked didnt really have the right attitude to match Kens coaching but at the same time its a given that Ken really didnt wanna be there and didnt put in full effort, I believe if Ken had wanted to be there and put in full effort it be a different scenario.. Ken just didnt give the drive needed to coach these guys and demand there respect, but at the same time you gotta look at the guys he picked and there attitudes have nothing to do with coaching

Kalib Starnes - Respect the guy, like him as a fighter but not the toughess.. its a given the guy complained about stuff he shouldnt be complaining about, and a verbal tapout is a sissy move

Tait Fletcher - turned down a fight that really showed what kind of character he had, the guy wasnt cut out to be a fighter

Kristian whatever - turned down a fight as well, wasnt cut out to be a fighter

Ken made some bad choices cuz if you think about it if he had choosen Bisping.. Bisping would of won regardless! yes Titos coaching was great for him but Tito picked a winner right off the bat, then with Titos first pick he choose Matt.. Matt had the biggest heart there! these are all intangibles that cant be taught, Titos eye for these things in the house was much better then Kens on the show... Tito caught on to the intangibles, and Ken didnt. Just wasnt a good showing for Ken at ALL, while I do believe he cared for the fighters.. he just didnt care for them enough.

And what bugs me is.. do you know what the requirements are to get into the Lions den? you have to pass a test to tryout and its no pushover test either.. but Kens showing on the show didnt reflect that at all.

Bran
06-28-2006, 04:42 AM
i think what people are forgetting too is that ken doesn't realize how much the game has changed. he's fighting the same he was 10 years ago and, imo, refuses to evolve with the game. had kendall been on ken's team he wouldn't have gotten to the finals. no one on ken's team learned anything whereas tito's guys grew.

WorldsMostDangerousMan
06-28-2006, 04:46 AM
a 30-minute run around his property in Diamond Hill in near-freezing temperatures. After completing the run, the men then had to carry eight sand bags – estimated to weigh 25 to 50 pounds each – and carry a keg of water – weighing in at about 75 pounds – up a hill and then carry them down again. This event took each competitor approximately thirty minutes to complete because many carried one up at a time.

As each competitor completed the sandbag event, they then had to carry the water keg around the property one full time, walking in melting snow and mud. Nearly every contestant dropped the keg on numerous occasions, but that didn’t stop them.

They had short breaks after this last event and then started sprints and piggy backs. From here, the competitors and coaches – Ken Shamrock, Vernon “Tiger” White, Ashe Bowman, and Richard Montoya – drove to the dojo for the indoor competitions.

The first test consisted of doing bear crawls around the 20x30’ wrestling mat. Soon after, they had to do 200 push-ups, followed by 500 squats, and then 200 crunches. From here, they had to do a rotation of bags, grappling, and hitting focus pads for about 30 minutes. They then had to spar each other in ground and stand-up fights.

The series of events tested each competitor physically, mentally, and emotionally. One quit during the bear crawl event because he did not want the rest of those trying out to be punished for him not going fast enough.
----
found that on his website, so obviously he knows the importance of conditioning but he wasnt there to be a coach for the kids i mean yeah he wanted to help them out but the main reason he was there was to get another shot at tito

Afro
06-28-2006, 04:59 AM
basically in a nutshell Ken could of been a good coach, but made the decision not to dedicated himself to that.

#1taz
06-29-2006, 04:55 AM
basically in a nutshell Ken could of been a good coach, but made the decision not to dedicated himself to that.

But he had no problem getting paid large to do it and still taking the PPV fight that was part of the deal...and that is just wrong.

And then to blame it all on his guys....and to try to say Tito was just lucky, playing for the cameras, and sucked as a trainer was pretty lame.

Tito may be a lot of things...but a crappy trainer isn't one of them.

Shamrock was just jealous and upset because he got publically out-classed.

It cracked me up when all he got to do was to be an over-paid jewelry delivery boy in the finale on TV.

Kenny boy...you got served!

lmao!

CHUCKtheCHAMP
06-30-2006, 01:40 AM
But he had no problem getting paid large to do it and still taking the PPV fight that was part of the deal...and that is just wrong.

And then to blame it all on his guys....and to try to say Tito was just lucky, playing for the cameras, and sucked as a trainer was pretty lame.

Tito may be a lot of things...but a crappy trainer isn't one of them.

Shamrock was just jealous and upset because he got publically out-classed.

It cracked me up when all he got to do was to be an over-paid jewelry delivery boy in the finale on TV.

Kenny boy...you got served!

lmao!

100% agreed!! ken was jsut there to get at tito... he's a piece of shit...

Raiders18
06-30-2006, 04:24 AM
When the show first started i hated Tito and liked Ken. BUt as the show went on it changed and I like Tito now and hate Ken everysince after Tito was telling his guys about the story where some little kid asked KEn for his autograph and Ken basically told him to get the hell out of my way.

killerinstinct
06-30-2006, 05:03 AM
When the show first started i hated Tito and liked Ken. BUt as the show went on it changed and I like Tito now and hate Ken everysince after Tito was telling his guys about the story where some little kid asked KEn for his autograph and Ken basically told him to get the hell out of my way.
I saw Ken at the battle of the Brady a small mma promotion in Oklahoma. Ken litterally sat 3 chairs down from me.I asked for his autograph and he said his security guys wouldn't let him.

Raiders18
06-30-2006, 05:16 AM
His security guys wouldn't let him? Anyways after TUF3 i no longer like Ken much anymore.

flashy
06-30-2006, 05:32 AM
During each fighters fight, the advice that he was giving his fighters was perfect, but not one of the fighters listened to anything he said

i noticed that too, they were shutting him out totally.

MikeT
06-30-2006, 08:31 AM
I saw Ken at the battle of the Brady a small mma promotion in Oklahoma. Ken litterally sat 3 chairs down from me.I asked for his autograph and he said his security guys wouldn't let him.

why does ken need security guys? is he not an MMA fighter who constantly acts like a complete bad ass? do the other fighters (Couture, Liddel etc) who are just as famous walk around with security

killerinstinct
06-30-2006, 08:40 AM
why does ken need security guys? is he not an MMA fighter who constantly acts like a complete bad ass? do the other fighters (Couture, Liddel etc) who are just as famous walk around with security
i don't know ,but ken was getting pissed.all the fans were cheering "Tito, Tito"(not me of course)Ken got up on the microphone and started talking shit to the crowd.

#1taz
06-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Shamrock always has been and always will be "more show than go".

The guy should have retired for good a long time ago..but sadly, as long as they are willing to pay him and he can drag out his old BS "pony and dog show" out for the cameras and get some air time...then he will still be around MMA events boring us to death.

His trash-talking skills are as good as his skills any more in the octagon...and I have personally seen him be an ass to fans numerous times - as a "wrestler", as a MMA fighter, and as a spectator watching other guys fight.

And the guy never goes out in public to a bar or anywhere else with out other guys to protect his precious little butt.

The guy seriously is a rude egotistical prick.

I am not a real huge fan of Tito...but I hope he seriously beats the crap out of him.