PDA

View Full Version : your Favorite Fighter that Doesn't have all the tools?

The8thPlague
11-14-2011, 05:33 PM
I've thought about this a lot & it really jumped back in my head when the Dennis Siver/Donald Cerrone fight was announced.
I like both fighters, but I'm a big fan of Siver. And when that fight was announced I knew that Cerrone was gonna break Siver's win streak because Dennis just doesn't have all the tools he needs to be the ultimate wrecking machine.

I know a lot of us have favorite fighters that we know will never challenge for the belt, but we still love 'em anyways.

I'm a huge fan of strikers that can pick you apart on their feet, so most of my favorites probably don't have good TDD or are horrible off their backs.
But when they fight THEIR game, they're fucking monsters!!!

HW: Pat Barry - how can people Not love this guy?
He's really respectable of the sport & his opponents, and he's funny.
This dudes stand-up is ridiculous. I think I'd rather be hit by a car than kicked in the chest by this dude.
4 Losses. 3 by submission.
He is so unbelievably good at kickboxing that there is no reason that he couldn't go to Xtreme Couture or some place like that & just work on his Wrestling, TDD, & Ground Game for a full year & not even do Stand Up.
He's my favorite HW fighter that I fear for 50% of the time when he fights against someone that has a ground game.

LHW: Krzysztof Soszynski & Matt Hamill.
Matt Hamill - Though he's retired now, so it doesn't matter.
I liked Matt Hamill probably because I always felt he was an underdog without his hearing. And he just seemed like an all around nice guy.
Great Wrestler & the headkick he did to Munoz was a thing of beauty.
But I was always unsure of him making it through a fight as the winner.
I just feel that if he had a better stand up game & could hear his corner during fights he would have been more of a beast than he already was.

Krzysztof Soszynski - maybe I'm drawn to the gleam off his bald head or maybe all his tattoos, but I totally dig this dude.
It's probably because if he gets you in a Kimura he's gonna snap your fucking arm off. That's probably why I like him.
I just never know about this guy when he fights. He looks like a beast & is pretty OK at every aspect of the game, but he has Lost(and Won) if every way you can. Decisions, T(KO)'s, & Submissions.
I think maybe he carries too much muscle & could use better cardio & sometimes it looks like he doesn't commit to the attack enough.

MW: Alessio Sakara.
I have a few on this list: Alan Belcher, Tom Lawlor, & Jorge Rivera.
But Alessio is my favorite of all of them.
Since joining the UFC his record has looked like this:
NC,
Win,
Loss,
Loss,
Win,
Loss,
Win,
Loss,
Win,
Win,
Win,
Loss.
That is just wayyyyyy too much inconsistency for me.
[I think for the remainder of this portion I'll have "Sakara = Excitement" give his words on why this awesome scrapper can't get his shit together...]

WW: Dan Hardy & Paul Daley.
I can wrap both these guys up in the same couple of sentences.
When these guys fight their games & throw bombs... They're Gonna Fuck Shit Up!!! Bottom Line.
But if they get taken to the ground... I'm sorry, but they're British... they're not gonna Win that.

LW: Denis Siver.
I have a few on this list: Spencer Fisher, Ross Pearson, Sam Stout.
But Siver is my favorite of all of them.
His stand up is obviously amazing & his TDD is actually pretty good.
He's kind of a "1 trick pony" like Donald Cerrone has said. But I think he's another guy, like Pat Barry, that could abandon his stand-up game and focus a lot more on Wrestling & BJJ. (although he did lose to punches from Guillard & Cerrone picked him apart on the feet).

This is long enough, so I'm not even gonna do featherweight & bantamweight.

So let us know, Who's Your Favorite Fighters that just don't have all the tools?

disposableassassin
11-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Chris Leben power but no speed decent jits not much wrestling hella inconsistent but still my favourite fighter

The8thPlague
11-14-2011, 05:44 PM
any others in other weight classes?
I love Leben too. His lack of speed would definitely have to be his downer, because other than that the dude is pretty well rounded.
I never count him out of a fight.

IceCold48
11-14-2011, 05:49 PM
wand doesnt have much skills outside his striking and i love the guy. a lot of the prdie fighters dont have all the tools actually which why i think they havent done so well since the sport has changed and pride folded.

0mega1
11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
My favorite fighter Martin Kampmann: lacks one punch K.O. power and wrestling but is mad technical and has very good JJ.

disposableassassin
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
any others in other weight classes?
I love Leben too. His lack of speed would definitely have to be his downer, because other than that the dude is pretty well rounded.
I never count him out of a fight.

lets see if i can come up with one for at least the divisions you named.

hw-lesnar-striking
lhw-:confusedsmilie:
mw-(other than leben)chael-jiu jitsu
ww-shields-striking and wrestling
lw-florian-wrestling

i dunno i think i can come up with a better list once i ponder on it for awhile these just kinda popped in my head still cant think of a LHW right bow other than K-sos

The8thPlague
11-14-2011, 11:38 PM
ww-shields-striking and wrestling
wuhhhhh???
:huh:

disposableassassin
11-15-2011, 01:18 AM
wuhhhhh???
:huh:

IS thaT Sarcasm?:huh:

Trodden
11-15-2011, 02:30 AM
Mike Tyson - when cardio was his only problem

initial_zen
11-15-2011, 04:19 AM
duane ludwig used to be one of my favorites that was missing a little wrestling and jits. I had high hopes for Dean lister too, but he was just too one dimensional.

cnlclink
11-15-2011, 04:24 AM
Sammy Stout no doubt. Also Jeremy Stephens, Sclememko and for LHW, Bader. Ugh this sucks doing on cellphone.

Trodden
11-15-2011, 04:30 AM
or Anderson Silva

sure he has great Muay Thai, great BJJ, great cardio, great striking defense, great TDD, great boxing, really good wrestling,

but his English is horrible!

SimpleJack
11-15-2011, 04:42 AM
Probably Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold.....sure neither of them is a very good technical wrestler, but goddamnit, they know how to kick some ass when it's needed.

SwordofAres
11-15-2011, 05:47 AM
Mac Danzig, Jason MacDonald, Marcus Davis, Ed Hermen, Chris Leben.

Huh as Im writing this I just realized my underachieving favorites are all TUF alums except for the TUF killer.

Sakara=Excitement
11-15-2011, 06:19 AM
I think for the remainder of this portion I'll have "Sakara = Excitement" give his words on why this awesome scrapper can't get his shit together..

When you say Alessio's name, it's like shining the Bat Signal in the air.

Hmmm, why can't Alessio get his shit together? He's not that great of a fighter? lol. He's good but can't seem to put it all together. For one he's WAY too technical and it hurts him. You see the same thing with Martin Kampmann. He got dragged into brawls with some HEAVY hitters (Leben, Alexander, McFedries) in his early UFC career and wanted to put on a show for the fans. One of the reasons why I'm sure they kept him around.

His chin is good, but he took some nasty shots in those fights (still not sure what the fuck happened against Drew?) and paid the price. His wrestling is decent (showed great TDD against Weidman, who is a touted wrestler, for the first round until gassing) and his Jits is decent. The later part of his career has been mauled with too many injuries and fight cancellations (fathers death being one of them). After the Weidmann fight he had ANOTHER knee surgery.

Hard to tell man, I love the guy...he always comes to fight and will fight until the very end. I love his warrior spirit when fighting. I mean I could easily jump on the Anderson Silva bandwagon but what fun is that? I'll stick to ol' Sakara.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C9-uzGv0bjk/TXEWJK4dabI/AAAAAAAABmo/4kf14qw8dOg/1111111111111.gif

So I don't know if I answered the question but I think whats hurt him now is his lack of fighting. He goes 3-0 with picking up a win against Thales Leites (one fight removed from fighting for the title) and keeps getting hurt, sick, injured, death in the family, etc. Hard to get any momentum going if you can't fight.

dbader08
11-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Hard to tell man, I love the guy...he always comes to fight and will fight until the very end. I love his warrior spirit when fighting. I mean I could easily jump on the Anderson Silva bandwagon but what fun is that? I'll stick to ol' Sakara.

So I don't know if I answered the question but I think whats hurt him now is his lack of fighting. He goes 3-0 with picking up a win against Thales Leites (one fight removed from fighting for the title) and keeps getting hurt, sick, injured, death in the family, etc. Hard to get any momentum going if you can't fight.

That is why I am a Nick Diaz fan.

But I would say Chris Lytle never having very good wrestling would be my answer, or else he would have smoked Hughes and Koscheck in those fights and would have went who knows how far. He is also just not a very big WW and fighting guys like Alves and Kos is a pretty big task when your a bit small for that weight class.

deeznizzies
11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
melvin manhoef

brock lesnar

aoki

disposableassassin
11-15-2011, 01:51 PM
ooh ooh i got one how about robbie lawlers lack of sub defense

MIZjitsZOU
11-15-2011, 01:58 PM
I get invested in some of the TUF guys. You spend about eight weeks watching the show and how everyone handles themselves personally, so you kind of get to know them. I like the way Matt Brown and Demarques Johnson fight. They always put on good fights, but will not challenge for the belt.

Your question is, "Who is your favorite fighter that does not have all the tools?" What if they don't have all the tools, but still can challenge for the belt? Disposable Assassin chose Brock and Chael, and Brock has had the belt and Chael is still challenging for it.

Pasha K
11-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Minowawawawawawawawamaaaaaan!

rivethead
11-15-2011, 05:16 PM
BJ Penn.

I would like to see him develop more Muy Thai and work on his conditioning. Not to mention his mental/emotional state.

rh

The8thPlague
11-15-2011, 06:27 PM
When you say Alessio's name, it's like shining the Bat Signal in the air.

Hmmm, why can't Alessio get his shit together? He's not that great of a fighter? lol. He's good but can't seem to put it all together. For one he's WAY too technical and it hurts him. You see the same thing with Martin Kampmann. He got dragged into brawls with some HEAVY hitters (Leben, Alexander, McFedries) in his early UFC career and wanted to put on a show for the fans. One of the reasons why I'm sure they kept him around.

His chin is good, but he took some nasty shots in those fights (still not sure what the fuck happened against Drew?) and paid the price. His wrestling is decent (showed great TDD against Weidman, who is a touted wrestler, for the first round until gassing) and his Jits is decent. The later part of his career has been mauled with too many injuries and fight cancellations (fathers death being one of them). After the Weidmann fight he had ANOTHER knee surgery.

Well done. I knew you'd fill that section in pretty well.

The8thPlague
11-15-2011, 06:28 PM
IS thaT Sarcasm?:huh:

Not at all.
Didn't he out-wrestle Dan Henderson for 4 rounds to win?

Luc1an
11-16-2011, 12:23 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UcF1Et2A30c/TMXRWxrnIGI/AAAAAAAAChA/dnNuuef7Di4/s1600/18223000928.jpgLytle and Leben for me.

disposableassassin
11-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Not at all.
Didn't he out-wrestle Dan Henderson for 4 rounds to win?

well for some reason i didnt really think of that fight. good example. well his striking still sucks:angry4:

The8thPlague
11-17-2011, 12:54 AM
yeah, that's still true.
I've never been a fan of him.

Y2JUBAE
11-17-2011, 10:15 PM
My favorite fighter Martin Kampmann: lacks one punch K.O. power and wrestling but is mad technical and has very good JJ.

If he had KO power, he could be the champ. Kampman is a tough fight for anyone and he always shows up ready to go!