PDA

View Full Version : Anyone practice Judo?

MIZjitsZOU
11-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Dear MMA News Posters,

I was wondering if any of you practice Judo? I am sure there are threads out there that maybe focus on this, if so cool, but this can be a new one to throw out new ideas.

I would love to hear everyone's favorite throws and what works for them standing and on the ground.

I would also like to hear from our Jiu Jitsu brothers, because I think Judo can make your Jiu Jitsu stronger and Jiu Jitsu can make your Judo stronger.

So who out there is a Judoka?

MIZjitsZOU
11-23-2011, 04:26 PM
I am a green belt who has been doing Judo for two plus years (off and on when time allows) My favorite throws are ippon seionage, o soto gari, o uchi gari, and tai otoshi, but I don't use all very effectively. I also love uchi mata, harai goshi, and susai tsurkomi goshi, but I am definitely not great at these. I like to try and combo o uchi to o soto, and ko soto to tai otoshi/harai.

I started Judo at 30. I just got off an army deployment where we practissed unorganized grappling. When I got home I didn't have any partners, so I wrestled with my dog until he almost bit my ear off (literally). I then tried out Judo without really knowing what it was, b/c it was near my house. I have really enjoyed it since then.

Pasha K
11-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I practiced a little bit of Judo 3 years ago but I trained for only 3 or 4 months. I earned a yellow belt but then I stopped because of time issues.

It is very nice but I remember I had a lot of troubles remembering the names in Japanese, it is much easier to remember "Armbar" than "Jiu Jigatame", or Kimura than "Ude Garami". LOL and I remember our instructor only said the names in Japanese, so he was like "Go for an Uchi mata" and I was like "WTF is an Uchi mata?", I mean, I probably knew the move but it was hard for me to remember it by the name.

Now I train Valetudo, and even though I know very few things of Judo, I have used them in the trainings of Valetudo and sometimes I have been succesful.
I definitely think the takedowns and throws in Judo are way more awesome than the takedowns of wrestling.

MIZjitsZOU
11-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Now I train Valetudo, and even though I know very few things of Judo, I have used them in the trainings of Valetudo and sometimes I have been succesful.
I definitely think the takedowns and throws in Judo are way more awesome than the takedowns of wrestling.

Pashak, when you say Valetudo do you mean the "everything goes" like they did alot in Brazil (I am picturing the video's from the 90's where they had bad ass fights down in Brazil). You don't where a Gi for that do you?

If you where a gi (like in Judo in Jiu Jitsu) you should look up Judo for BJJ. The guy who does it is Jimmy Pedro, who is a US Judo Olympian and the coach of the 2012 games for us. It shows you Judo techniques that will help your BJJ.

Could you explain the Valetudo for me?

Pasha K
11-24-2011, 01:22 AM
I mean I train MMA.
They teach us striking, takedowns and ground game.
We do not wear GI, we just use MMA gloves.

Probably it would be better to train only Muay Thai for some years in order to get very good in the stand up, and then spend some years training BJJ or Wrestling for the ground, and only theeeen begin training MMA.
However I like a lot MMA, I enjoy a lot the trainings, and when we spar with MMA rules I like knowing that if someone is owning me in the standup, I can go for a takedown and maybe in the ground I will be more succesful.

Being said that I feel much comfortable in the stand up than in the ground, I have long arms so I have reach advantage almost over everybody in my GYM and I trained some boxing in the past so it obviously helps a lot.
In the ground though....I have tons of work to do there.