PDA

View Full Version : Marco Antonio Barrera vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, March 17

Salvy_Mic
01-13-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm sure most of you know all about this dream fight (even if it is 3 years too late), but I'd like to know what everyone thinks about this fight, and how it'll go down. Personally, I think Marquez'll beat Barrera in a hard-fought, action packed split decision. And seriously, I don't know why they never fought before, or why Marquez never got to fight Erik Morales also.

In a side note, and as another topic for discussion, WBC Jr. Featherweight champion Israel Vasquez is taking on WBC Bantamweight champion Rafael Marquez, who's moving up to challenge for Vasquez's title on April 7, on Showtime. This is also a dream match, but unfortunately, I've seen little of either of them, so I'm here to learn.

It seems as if the Marquez brothers are finally getting their big money, career-defining fights.

Punk Ass
01-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Marquez will win, Barerra is falling off a lil and had too many wars. Don't think his body holds up any longer.

Luis Cruz
01-13-2007, 07:19 PM
I meant to bring this up and kept forgetting, glad someone did. Yea it's a couple years late but hey better now then never. I have been begging for this match to be made for a long time. This is definately one of my dream matches that's finally happening. Both guys had their bumps in the road but both are still great fighters. Barrera might be slightly dipping a little more but he's no Morales yet. He still has some fight i believe. This mach is going to be great, this is a very hard fight to pick. I'm a big Marquez fan so i'll probably lean towards him with a little bias, but their skills are very close to the same as well as their styles.

Rafael Marquez has been high on my p4p list for a while, around #3 or 4 last time i think it was. Vasquez is on a tear and looked scary against Larios and Gonzalez plus Marquez is moving up which he's been planning for a bit. This fight has fireworks written all over it, it can't go any other way but a war. Both of these fights actually. I expect fight of the year caliber fights in both of these. I'm thinking Rafael and Israel is going to look like Arce vs Hussein 1. THIS is what a PPV card should be made of!

Punk Ass
01-13-2007, 08:30 PM
I meant to bring this up and kept forgetting, glad someone did. Yea it's a couple years late but hey better now then never. I have been begging for this match to be made for a long time. This is definately one of my dream matches that's finally happening. Both guys had their bumps in the road but both are still great fighters. Barrera might be slightly dipping a little more but he's no Morales yet. He still has some fight i believe. This mach is going to be great, this is a very hard fight to pick. I'm a big Marquez fan so i'll probably lean towards him with a little bias, but their skills are very close to the same as well as their styles.

Rafael Marquez has been high on my p4p list for a while, around #3 or 4 last time i think it was. Vasquez is on a tear and looked scary against Larios and Gonzalez plus Marquez is moving up which he's been planning for a bit. This fight has fireworks written all over it, it can't go any other way but a war. Both of these fights actually. I expect fight of the year caliber fights in both of these. I'm thinking Rafael and Israel is going to look like Arce vs Hussein 1. THIS is what a PPV card should be made of!

Kinda bad for PPV IMO. These fighters just arent popular enough.

Luis Cruz
01-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Kinda bad for PPV IMO. These fighters just arent popular enough.

Shiiiiiiit but Barerra vs Peden is PPV quality????? lol

I know what you're saying but they throw fights all the time that shouldn't be on PPV, this is one that SHOULD be PPV quality. When it comes down to it, i don't think any freakin boxing should be PPV, if you have HBO you should get the fights, just like Showtime. If you don't have either THEN there should be a PPV option. These two fights alone got my 45 or 50 dollars. lol

Salvy_Mic
01-14-2007, 07:44 AM
And actually, the Israel Vasquez/Rafael Marquez fight is free, on Showtime, not PPV. It's Barrera/Marquez that's going to be on PPV. It looks like the mid to small weight classes are gonna be carrying boxing for awhile, at least until Klitschko/Peter II for a title unification happens.

Luis Cruz
01-14-2007, 12:27 PM
And actually, the Israel Vasquez/Rafael Marquez fight is free, on Showtime, not PPV. It's Barrera/Marquez that's going to be on PPV. It looks like the mid to small weight classes are gonna be carrying boxing for awhile, at least until Klitschko/Peter II for a title unification happens.

Oh damn i thought they were on the same card like they were in August. Well that just took some steam out of this PPV for me. Oh a good note that means two good fights on two different nights. I guess the Rafael fight is going to be around a month later.

Salvy_Mic
01-15-2007, 04:27 AM
I wonder who else would fight on the Barrera/Marquez undercard though? It's a Golden Boy card, so I think we may see Rocky Juarez against someone, and then, another tinyweight title fight. Maybe Rocky Juarez vs. Oscar Larios in a Featherweight title eliminator?

Salvy_Mic
02-21-2007, 06:18 AM
Here's the full card for this PPV that I gleamed off of espn.com:

Marco Antonio Barrera vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, for Barrera's WBC Jr. Lightweight Championship

Daniel Ponce De Leon vs. Gerry Penalosa, for De Leon's WBO Jr. Featherweight Championship

Demetrius Hopkins vs. Steve Forbes, 12 round Jr. Welterweight fight

Looks like a solid card. Forbes is always a tough out for any fighter, a former champion, and a significant test for young Hopkins. De Leon has been crushing guys left and right, and will be bigger than former titlist Penalosa, a few fights into his comeback and moving up from Bantamweight.

I think should Hopkins win, he may get a crack at one of the 140 lb. belt holders. I hear talks about De Leon taking on fellow 122 lb. titlist Celestino Caballero in a unification bout, which would also be a rematch. As for the main event, the winner of that fight would be the logical next opponent for Manny Pacquiao, but seeing as how the Top Rank/Golden Boy has little chance of thawing out anytime soon, the winner would probably face WBC #1 contender Humberto Soto. All in all, I think it's a pretty good card to buy.