PDA

View Full Version : MMA journalist Ariel Helwani to have amateur first MMA fight

trustkill
12-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Link to full article: MMA journalist Ariel Helwani to have amateur first MMA fight (http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/showthread.php?75435-MMA-journalist-Ariel-Helwani-to-have-amateur-first-MMA-fight)

MMA journalist Ariel Helwani revealed today he is scheduled to have an amateur MMA bout in January 2012. The 29 year old recently awarded MMA journalist of the year award for the second successive year suprised many when he revealed he has been training for two years.

Helwani commented: "I've kept this low-key obviously it just started off just as a keep fit thing and also self defence really" he smiled adding: "I live in New York now it's a dangerous place sometimes".

When asked where he'd trained the Canadian responded "mainly at Fight House because it's near where I live though I obviously travel a lot following UFC events. I've done a few sessions at Jackson's, Blackhouse, Team Quest and a few other one-offs like at the Rough House with UFC 138 being close-by".

When asked why he'd started the training Ariel said: "well there is the fact that I get quite a lot of spare time on the road, I enjoy it and it's a way of challenging myself". Probing about his skillset revealed: "I've learned a few tricks. Look it's obviously just a hobby but my thai kicks are reasonable and my dirty boxing technique particularly the overhand right are alright".

When asked about his amateur bout in January he revealed: "it's just a way of test what I've learned. It gives me something to aim for. The match is against a guy at a similar level from the Renzo Gracie gym (home of Frankie Edgar among others). It won't be filmed or anything".

When asked which weight division the clash will be Ariel said: "it's at lightweight". The journalist profile raised considerably after a series of run-ins with Rampage Jackson. Asked if he would one day consider a match up with the former light heavy weight champion he joked: "sure we can do that if he gets down to lightweight".

CtGreat
12-18-2011, 05:23 AM
I know Nick Diaz hopes he gets his ass kicked

Pasha K
12-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Good for him

IceCold48
12-18-2011, 06:53 AM
I know Nick Diaz hopes he gets his ass kicked

and tito, rampage, james toney and bloodstain lane.

CtGreat
12-18-2011, 06:55 AM

Man...he sure has some frightening enemies haha

Pasha K
12-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Yeaaah, specially BloodstainLane.

Sniggles
12-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Fuck Bloodstain Lane.

Don't forget Team Jackson and DFW.

rabidsponge
12-18-2011, 04:32 PM
if this is true then i think its great...so many people report on mma and have such strong opinions but have never once trained or competed. good for him, i have more respect for him