PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Breen: People wouldn’t intensely hate Jon Jones if he was white

Sakara=Excitement
12-24-2011, 07:35 PM
http://www.fightopinion.com/2011/12/16/ufc-jon-jones-race/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+fightopinion+%28FightOpinion. com+-+Your+Global+Connection+to+the+Fight+Industry.%29

“The way and the specific dudes that Jones took out in the fashion in which he did it in is ridiculous and I think this is easily the best year we’ve seen in Mixed Martial Arts. It’s not just that he dominated a bunch of guys that are on the list of all-time great Light Heavyweights to begin with, it’s the fact that he beat Shogun so horrifically that if there was a rematch you would have a feeling in your gut that Shogun could die in the cage. He forced Quinton Jackson to raise the white flag in a way that we just really hadn’t seen Quinton Jackson do. Normally, if you’re going to stomp Quinton Jackson you better beat the ever-loving hell out of this guy and leave him laid out bleeding out of his face on the ropes. And then against Lyoto Machida someone who his lone real incident of serious adversity was getting cracked by Shogun, someone who concede has some freaky sort of power, Jones then dropped Lyoto and then dropped him again like a sack of potatoes after choking him unconscious. So, I think it’s probably the most impressive three fight span that I can think of in Mixed Martial Arts to go along with probably the most impressive year… and by probably the most impressive year, I mean quite certainly the most impressively year I’ve ever seen in MMA.

“So, I think if you’re looking for someone to beat Jon Jones, acting like some guy’s going to pull out this great game plan over 25 minutes? I don’t know. I’m more interested in a guy that, even if he might go down in a flaming car wreck of a disaster, might actually have the offensive power to put him away. Dan Henderson can sucker guys into an exchange, he can land really heavy powerful punches, maybe he lands the one big right overhand that does it. I think he’s got a better chance than Rashad Evans who always takes his time, is measured, is a stocky, compact guy. I think Rashad Evans is going to get ripped up against Jon Jones because he’s a slow starter and Jon Jones can just come forward and go-go-go. But Dan Henderson, maybe he can get a right hand in there, maybe he can make that kind of thing work. If he doesn’t, he’s going to be in a world of hurt and I think it’s going to turn into an epic beatdown. But I think that’s the kind of dynamic you look for. I’m still interested in seeing if a guy like King Mo or Phil Davis could put Jon Jones on his back and see what happens from there. But… as far as guys at the top of the division that might actually be challenging soon, Henderson is a guy who piques my interest because even if he has the chance of just getting assaulted in lopsided fashion, I do think he’s the one guy that kind of maybe land that one big kind of haymaker that might put Jon Jones down on queer street and possibly be finished. Because I don’t see another guy that has a great chance of setting it up.”

Dan Henderson is the best remaining opponent for Jon Jones? I guess we shouldn’t care about the Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis fight then in Chicago?

“I did MMA Nation with Luke Thomas on Sunday night and he said that the two people, that when he posts videos or radio segments about, that there’s the most vitriolic feedback: Amir Khan and Jon Jones. And, oh my God, is it any questions that they’re both part of races that polarize people on different sides of the Atlantic? No way! The thing that I find amusing is… race isn’t everything but it’s not nothing. I find it amazing that I still get e-mails from people and, to be fair, I think if Jon Jones was white I still think he would polarize people but I don’t think so many people would react so intensely as they do and found and rationalize their hate in the way they do if he was white. And the same thing for Amir Khan. If Amir Khan was white… Amir Khan is… he’s even more of an innocuous personality. I mean, he gets a lot of the same sort of criticism for being sort like fake or inauthentic but ultimately… if he was white and not brown, would people feel that way on either side of the Atlantic? I’m not so sure, you know. So, I think there are guys that they wouldn’t be ultimately the most popular dudes in the world if they were white, they would still polarize people, I think, but I don’t think there would be the intensity, the magnitude of the venom that goes with it because some of the e-mails and tweets I get about Jon Jones at this point in time, you’d think this guy was some kind of genocidal dictator not just a fighter in the UFC.

“Seriously, like… why? And this is the thing, I’m not saying, ‘oh, Jon Jones, a great dude’… like I said and I have said for a long time, Jon Jones is, you know, not… he is not every bit the son of the Preacher man he attempts to be. He is, in that way, not a genuine personality and, yet, he’s an incredible, incredible fighter who is not responsible for all of the evils in the world, who did not do a terrible thing by breaking when John McCarthy said break and let Machida fall to the canvas, who is not some kind of demonic entity. It’s totally OK to dislike Jon Jones but… as I said on Twitter, if this guy announces his entire purse was going to go to cancer research, people would ask why he hates AIDS victims. It’s crazy.”

Jordan then had a caller on his show lay out some non-racial reasons as to why MMA fans hate Jon Jones so much:

“Two other reasons besides just race as to why he’s hated, this is me being objective looking at it from both sides. Something I saw posted on a Sherdog forum, he said like Jon is like, we all know you’re cocky, so why don’t you just come out and be the cocky champion and we’ll love you for it. And I kind of understand it, I kind of feel like, yeah, he tries so hard to put this image on and, you know, I really don’t think it’s him. I think the other thing is, the last point why I think so many fans hate him so much, most MMA fans especially internet fans are people who aren’t really into sports too much, right, they’re not into like football or basketball or baseball, you know, MMA was like *their* sport and, to them, it was like something they could see themselves doing and I think with Jon Jones they see an athletic and explosive, there goes that term again, athletic and explosive athlete who probably could have started at receiver in the NFL or played, you know, the 3 spot in the NBA just come in to the UFC and basically just dominate, you know, their sport and I think they almost see it as like the future and they don’t like that and I think that really has to do with like a lot of hate for this guy to come out of nowhere and basically destroy all heir PRIDE heroes and you know how much they love PRIDE and all that and basically makes it to the point now where you don’t even want to see a rematch (because) he’s beating people so bad. I mean, now, I’m hearing stuff like on these boards now they’re saying that he should be a heavyweight? Like, c’mon, he walks around at 220…”

Which lead to this response:

“One of the major charges led against him is this idea that he’s not an authentic personality, that he’s someone that tries to act like this wholesome Christian well-manicured sort of dude and really he’s about as rowdy and bawdy as any 24 year old who might be the baddest dude on the entire planet. That’s absolutely insane. In fact, it’s crazy that Jon Jones just isn’t absolutely wild as a person because if I woke up tomorrow and not only was the UFC Light Heavyweight champion but I realized I had the ability to essentially destroy almost any dude I get my hands on, I might go mental. So, it’s crazy that he’s not even at that point. But secondarily, I think, that’s another point, too, that’s come up. It almost seems like early on people were thrilled at how many exciting things Jon Jones could do but he’s made so many great fighters look ordinary now it almost seems like defeating the purpose of having fights, it almost seems unfair. And I think with this, one of the heard ideas you’ve heard more and more recently, ‘oh, go fight Heavyweights!’ I have a news flash for you, by the way — if you don’t to see Jon Jones do crazy stuff and embarrass guys, you don’t want him to fight at Heavyweight.”

If people hate Jon Jones, they’re certainly willing to pay to watch him if you believe the initial PPV buy rate estimates from Dave Meltzer (in the upper 400,000s, near 500,000). Running out of potential opponents in the future could be a problem, for sure… so I’m guessing a fight against Anderson Silva might be desirable at this point.

thefirm0
12-24-2011, 07:45 PM
i couldn't read all that, didnt really like the first couple paragraphs, i'll just respond to the title.

I seriously hope a white man isnt pulling the race card for a black man who doesnt seem to care if people hate him or not. Race is not really a factor for me i dont care what you are as long as your cool. its just that jon jones isnt really that cool from what ive seen, he could be ultra cool when he's with his family for all we know, but a lot of people dislike his personality and root against him, so fucking what, hes rich as hell, got a hot girlfriend, ufc champ, seems happy as a motherfucker. this guys a crappy radio host who is just trying to get some kind of article done.

Sniggles
12-24-2011, 08:08 PM
That's ignorant. People hate him for the way he acts then he pretends to act another way. He doesn't have his own personality so he lets people tell him what his personality should be.

CtGreat
12-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Very interesting, a white guy claiming racial bias against a black man; I dont see that very often.

CanaanCreed
12-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Lengthy read, but interesting. I actually agree with a few of the points made. I think this argument of JJ being inauthentic isn't very fair. But then again, life isn't very fair.

The MMA community is rather averse to the claims of someone being "the next big thing". I think JJ suffers from backlash of being anointed the one to carry the torch of the next gen of fighters, more than anything else. I've seen some pretty overtly racially charged stuff said about him as well as some language that clearly has a racial subtext to it. Which is actually NO different than what I've seen/heard uttered about Rashad, Silva or Rampage.

If I was JJ, I'd keep my eye on the prize and stay focused on building a legacy. It's all gravy if they love you or hate you. The only time you have to worry is if they are indifferent towards you. That means nobody cares. And that means nobody makes money.

Trodden
12-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Trodden: I would probably intensely hate Jordan Breen if only I knew who the hell she was

roaddawg
12-24-2011, 08:37 PM
That's ignorant. People hate him for the way he acts then he pretends to act another way. He doesn't have his own personality so he lets people tell him what his personality should be.

Ahhhh bs. People hate him because hes beating the shit out of their favorite fighters and making it look easy.

Sakara=Excitement
12-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Ahhhh bs. People hate him because hes beating the shit out of their favorite fighters and making it look easy.

How is it you have yet ANOTHER person who beats women and goes to jail for it? What are you at now, like 4?

MMAtt
12-24-2011, 09:23 PM
How is this garbage not in noobjack?

Sakara=Excitement
12-24-2011, 09:31 PM

How is it that you cry and complain about things being in n00bjack all the time? Just like a chick. Like I wake up and just expect to get bitched at for not doing something. How about this, if you want things posted in certain spots, contribute to the fucking boards and post it where you see fit. Or go suckle from the teet of the MODs and ask them to move it.

You constant whining is boring.

thefirm0
12-24-2011, 09:33 PM
How is it you have yet ANOTHER person who beats women and goes to jail for it? What are you at now, like 4?

i knew he beat women

Sakara=Excitement
12-24-2011, 09:36 PM
i knew he beat women

Mayweather Sentenced to 90 Days in Jail (http://boxing.about.com/b/2011/12/23/mayweather-sentenced-to-90-days-in-jail.htm)

Mayweather has been sentenced to 90 days in Nevada's Clark County Jail on misdemeanor domestic violence and harassment charges. He is to report on January 6 at 10:45am to begin serving his sentence. The wrist slap portion of his sentence will also require Mayeather to attend a 12-month domestic violence program, pay $2,500 in fines and perform 100 hours of community service.

The full sentence was actually for six months, but three months were suspended (and he received credit for three days already served). As expected, Mayweather's attorney asked for a home detention program and - surprisingly, and to her credit - Judge Melissa Saragosa denied the request, saying "No matter who you are, you have consequences to your actions when they escalate to this level of violence".

CtGreat
12-24-2011, 09:53 PM
How is it that you cry and complain about things being in n00bjack all the time? Just like a chick. Like I wake up and just expect to get bitched at for not doing something. How about this, if you want things posted in certain spots, contribute to the fucking boards and post it where you see fit. Or go suckle from the teet of the MODs and ask them to move it.

Who shit in your grits today? :huh:

Sakara=Excitement
12-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Who shit in your grits today? :huh:

I've been here long enough that it just gets old to hear the same shit from the same people day in and day out without helping these boards in any way possible. Bitch, bitch, bitch, but that's all they do. I'm not always the most constructive member on here but jesus christ, at least I contribute.

I'm just tired of it and it came to a head....and on the topic of Grits, I would love some right now. It's cold and rainy as shit here.

H0SS
12-24-2011, 10:49 PM

I find it amusing that you would write that. I've been reading these boards since before I was a member, and I remember you being permanently secured on Rampage's nutsack when he was on top of the LHW division. You are such a fair-weather fan. I'm sure once Jones and Mayweather lose, you'll find another "explosive" fighter to worship. :laughing4:

Sakara=Excitement
12-24-2011, 10:57 PM
I find it amusing that you would write that. I've been reading these boards since before I was a member, and I remember you being permanently secured on Rampage's nutsack when he was on top of the LHW division. You are such a fair-weather fan. I'm sure once Jones and Mayweather lose, you'll find another "explosive" fighter to worship. :laughing4:

Replace black with explosive and you'll be on to something.

Bearded Big Country
12-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Im starting to notice that Jones and Fedor threads always lead to fights 0_o

rodneykm
12-25-2011, 02:17 AM
All I can say is.....wait for it...wait for it....

LOL.

Sniggles
12-25-2011, 02:30 AM

Bitch. If the only thing you have to post is this then - Don't Fuckin Post.

rivethead
12-25-2011, 02:44 AM
This is from one of those sherdog guys, isn't it?

I read the title, and I immediately thought "I don't know anyone who actually hates Jones, never mind intensely hate him. I know people who get tired of fanboy cheerleaders and rag on them, but Jones is pretty unassuming, from what I understand."

And then I read a little bit of this densely typed dreck and realized he was exactly the type of fanboy cheerleader that makes stupid claims, and then when people point out that they're stupid, they respond with something foolish like "why are you hating on Jones, dog?"

I guess there is a reason I don't read anything this guy writes.

I never even made it to the misplaced racist stuff.

rh

Supe
12-25-2011, 03:45 AM

rep'd. He's like someones annoying little sister that cries cuz you wont let her play with you. Jordan Breen should write an article about him. just replace "Jon Jones" with "MMATT" and "white" with "not a teenage girl"

dbader08
12-25-2011, 04:39 AM
Jordan Breen is annoying and really is one of my least favorite mma analysts.

H0SS
12-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Replace black with explosive and you'll be on to something.

"Explosive" was actually my way of saying black, lol. Roaddawg's ignorant comments have been entertaining me for a few years now. He plays his role as the Resident Racist quite well. He's pretty much on par with Chaelfan.

Pasha K
12-25-2011, 05:34 AM
I think if Jon Jones was white I still think he would polarize people but I don’t think so many people would react so intensely as they do and found and rationalize their hate in the way they do if he was white

RD that was you?

Bearded Big Country
12-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Jordan Breen is annoying and really is one of my least favorite mma analysts.

He also looks like a Ed Hardy doushe.

roaddawg
12-25-2011, 06:47 AM

Like I said Jon Jones is beating the shit out of peoples favorite fighters. What do you find so shocking about that comment? More importantly how does racism tie into that statement?

H0SS
12-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Like I said Jon Jones is beating the shit out of peoples favorite fighters. What do you find so shocking about that comment? More importantly how does racism tie into that statement?

Ha ha, because the statement was made by someone who always favors whoever the current best black fighter is. Just once try to see past someone's skin color. You are the same guy who said that James Toney vs Kimbo Slice would be an MMA match made in heaven, and then went on to claim it wouldn't be a freakshow fight. I bet you pick AO over Brock, Rumble over Vitor, Guillard over Miller, and Cormier over Barnett. Am I wrong? Oh and btw, I'll just leave this here...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/501/236/floyd-mayweather-jail-sentence-2011_crop_650x440.jpg?1324754810
:dancingsmile:

Pasha K
12-25-2011, 09:40 AM
I bet you pick AO over Brock, Rumble over Vitor, Guillard over Miller, and Cormier over Barnett.

Not sure about that. For RD to be black is not enough, the fighter has to be an african american fighter. Overeem is not American, so probably RD will root for Lesnar.

MMAtt
12-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Perhaps you should go find some posts of me complaining about noobjack because I believe this is my first, I'm a contributing member I'm just not sitting around copying and pasting articles all day.

MMAtt
12-25-2011, 12:15 PM
rep'd. He's like someones annoying little sister that cries cuz you wont let her play with you. Jordan Breen should write an article about him. just replace "Jon Jones" with "MMATT" and "white" with "not a teenage girl"

This makes no sense at all but congrats on sucking sakaras dick, I'm sure he appreciates it

MMAtt
12-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Bitch. If the only thing you have to post is this then - Don't Fuckin Post.

The racial card is a subject that's been beaten to death, I don't have anything else to say about it, I hate him for everything he is but not the color of his skin, its a garbage article and doesn't deserve to even be posted.

MIZjitsZOU
12-25-2011, 09:15 PM
I can't believe I am going to type this (no offense Road Dawg), but I am kinda agreeing with RD here.

Jon Jones is straight up waxing my heros. What is Sakara's word: Merc'd. He straight up merc'd shogun, then rampage, then Machida, and next probably my favorite fighter if they make him versus Hendo. It is always sad to see the legends get surpassed.

I don't agree with the writer about all the racial shit. Some guys are just polarizing. Say Lebron James for example, dude is a bad ass, but just something about him pisses me off. Nothing to do with being black, but I am just a kevin durant sort of dude.

So I think it is b/c he comes off as a bit of a d#####, and he is so good that he straight up destroys the guys I have looked up to in MMA for so long.

Jon Jones is a great fighter, perhaps the greatest p4p guy right now. No delusion in that.

roaddawg
12-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Ha ha, because the statement was made by someone who always favors whoever the current best black fighter is.

- Actually I favor blackhouse fighters. I wanted Lyoto to beat Jon Jones....
- Rashad vs Tito... I wanted Tito to win.
- Diaz Vs Paul Daley I wanted Diaz to win.

Just once try to see past someone's skin color.

Practice what you preach. Did I accuse you of favoring white fighters only?

You are the same guy who said that James Toney vs Kimbo Slice would be an MMA match made in heaven

James Toney vs Kimbo Slice would be a match made in heaven for me and that is my opinion.

, and then went on to claim it wouldn't be a freakshow fight.

Whether it would be a freak show fight or not I would watch it just like I watched Fedor fighting Hong Man Choi and Zulu.

Whats your point?
MMA’s 10 Most Insane Freak Show Fights | | Cagepotato (http://www.cagepotato.com/mmas-10-most-insane-freak-show-fights/)

I bet you pick AO over Brock, Rumble over Vitor, Guillard over Miller, and Cormier over Barnett. Am I wrong? Oh and btw, I'll just leave this here...

- AO beats Brock due to Brocks ring rust and his bad reactions to getting hit. If he couldn't trade with Cain I wouldn't expect him to fare well in standup against a K-1 champion. For the record I was the one supporting Brock when he first entered the UFC while everyone else was pissing on him.... documented.

- I expect Rumble to beat Vitor and for the record Rumble is also one of my favorite fighters.

- I like Guillard's explosive style but his cockyness gets him in trouble more often than it should. I expect Miller to win but I want Guillard to win and challenge Edgar for the title.

- Cormier vs Barnett? I don't even like Barnett and never at any point have I ever cheered for him to beat anyone at anytime not even in his prowrestling matches.

Now since you made these accussations it begs to question should I hold you up to the same regard since you apparently dislike all black fighters?

It seems like you have more of an issue with skin color than I do.

Not sure about that. For RD to be black is not enough, the fighter has to be an african american fighter. Overeem is not American, so probably RD will root for Lesnar.

I'm not making fun of you but Anderson Silva is my favorite fighter in MMA. Anderson Silva is not African American. He is an Afro Brazillian.

I would bother more to school you but people like you seldomly give a fuck and its probably all the same to you. Im sure when you look at someone of Asian decent if you aren't sure what they are you probably arbitrarily call them Korean, Chinese or Japanese. To people like you it's probably interchangeable.

Just a guess though I could be wrong because I dont know you at all. I do find it funny however that everyone here "thinks" they know me.

FFFRpickup
12-26-2011, 03:10 AM
I went through the entire psot and some of it makes sense. I do not agree witht eh race bullshit as I have ignorant peopel regardless of race and some of my favorite fighters have acted just like jones. I like Jones. He is defiantelly a talented man. The artivle says he walks around at 220? NO WAY in hell. Unless he has another brother the same height and on heroine! That's obsurd. 220. No way. I also believe he really does have an unfair advantage against his opponents. Let's be fair here at least. has he ever fought a guy in which he didn't have at least a 10 inch reach advantage? Ever fought a guy in which he didn't have a 10-20 pound wieght advantage? I realize that peopel (including myself) have said in the past that GSP and A Silva both are big for their divisions. Silva has always had a reach advantage by a few inches at least. but that's it. Gsp has always been a big ww and was critisized for dominating with the weight advantage (until alves)

Now for Jones. all things equal...do your research...look high and low....can we find anybody that has his height, reach and his weight come fight time? I do not think so. Now if we want find anybody to compare...what does that say? that says he is a freak of nature. Good for him...not so good for the sport. I mean. he is the first example of natureal growth hormoes in the food chain. hehe,, He IS the thirteen year old I saw at the mall that was 6' tall. the new breed. Jon Jones.

CtGreat
12-26-2011, 06:30 AM
- Actually I favor blackhouse fighters. I wanted Lyoto to beat Jon Jones....
- Rashad vs Tito... I wanted Tito to win.
- Diaz Vs Paul Daley I wanted Diaz to win.

Practice what you preach. Did I accuse you of favoring white fighters only?

James Toney vs Kimbo Slice would be a match made in heaven for me and that is my opinion.

Whether it would be a freak show fight or not I would watch it just like I watched Fedor fighting Hong Man Choi and Zulu.

Whats your point?
MMA’s 10 Most Insane Freak Show Fights | | Cagepotato (http://www.cagepotato.com/mmas-10-most-insane-freak-show-fights/)

- AO beats Brock due to Brocks ring rust and his bad reactions to getting hit. If he couldn't trade with Cain I wouldn't expect him to fare well in standup against a K-1 champion. For the record I was the one supporting Brock when he first entered the UFC while everyone else was pissing on him.... documented.

- I expect Rumble to beat Vitor and for the record Rumble is also one of my favorite fighters.

- I like Guillard's explosive style but his cockyness gets him in trouble more often than it should. I expect Miller to win but I want Guillard to win and challenge Edgar for the title.

- Cormier vs Barnett? I don't even like Barnett and never at any point have I ever cheered for him to beat anyone at anytime not even in his prowrestling matches.

Now since you made these accussations it begs to question should I hold you up to the same regard since you apparently dislike all black fighters?

It seems like you have more of an issue with skin color than I do.

I'm not making fun of you but Anderson Silva is my favorite fighter in MMA. Anderson Silva is not African American. He is an Afro Brazillian.

I would bother more to school you but people like you seldomly give a fuck and its probably all the same to you. Im sure when you look at someone of Asian decent if you aren't sure what they are you probably arbitrarily call them Korean, Chinese or Japanese. To people like you it's probably interchangeable.

Just a guess though I could be wrong because I dont know you at all. I do find it funny however that everyone here "thinks" they know me.

Man, RD just blew that argument out of the water :laughing4: