PDA

View Full Version : Stretching for BJJ

bboyphl
01-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm trying to get more flexible so that when I start BJJ I wont have to worry about being stiff as a board. I would like to know what kind of stretches I should do to get looser. It would be great if anyone could give me some stretches which over time would allow me to do the rubber guard.

Clint
01-16-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't have much to add other than Yoga is great for your flexibility.

Alwaysbelieve1
01-17-2007, 12:58 AM
For really tight people PNF(proprioceptor neuromuscular facilitation) is one of the best methods for stretching. You can even do that lifting as well.

PNF relates to the 'proprioceptor nerves' found in all nerve endings of joints, muscles, and tendons. This method turns on contradictory muscles while relaxing the stretching ones.

bboyphl
01-17-2007, 02:30 AM
For really tight people PNF(proprioceptor neuromuscular facilitation) is one of the best methods for stretching. You can even do that lifting as well.

PNF relates to the 'proprioceptor nerves' found in all nerve endings of joints, muscles, and tendons. This method turns on contradictory muscles while relaxing the stretching ones.
Exactly how do I find more information on PNF? And I'm broke right now so I can't take yoga. Some tips would be nice.

strife
01-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Exactly how do I find more information on PNF? And I'm broke right now so I can't take yoga. Some tips would be nice.

www.google.com

bboyphl
01-17-2007, 02:42 AM
www.google.com
I would have never thought of that. Thanks strife

Metalhead
01-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I've heard a lot recently that the most common form of stretching, static stretching, is actually detrimental. Thoughts?

Alwaysbelieve1
01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
I've heard a lot recently that the most common form of stretching, static stretching, is actually detrimental. Thoughts?

Never heard that one and never had any issues regarding that. Ballistic stretching yes, but not static. I prefer PNF anyway. If you perform PNF properly you will actually break a good sweat too just as bodybuilders do flexing their muscles when they are posing.

Metalhead
01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah, what I've heard and read (although I do lack sources) is that if you stretch and hold a stretch you're actually weakening the muscle and tendons. If you are going to do that kind of stretch do it well after the body has warmed up, never before.

Before a work out you want dynamic stretching.

Alwaysbelieve1
01-18-2007, 12:55 AM
If you are going to do that kind of stretch do it well after the body has warmed up, never before.

Of course I agree with this statement. This is what I do and have done with not only myself, but also my clients for years.

Before a work out you want dynamic stretching.

Dynamic stretching? If you mean ballistic- this should NEVER be done.

Metalhead
01-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Of course I agree with this statement. This is what I do and have done with not only myself, but also my clients for years.

Dynamic stretching? If you mean ballistic- this should NEVER be done.

I'm assuming ballistic is like bouncing and what not??

Dynamic streching is hard for me to explain, but it's warming up your muscles doing movements that mimic what will be done in the sport you're playing. For instance, instead of stretching you're groin by separating your legs far and leaning down one side, do side shuffles and hip movements.
Instead of sitting on the ground and trying to touch your toes, slowly and in a controlled manner do high front kicks, going higher and higher every time.

I'm terrible at explaining that without showing but it's probably exactly what you mean by PNF.

Alwaysbelieve1
01-18-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm assuming ballistic is like bouncing and what not??

Dynamic streching is hard for me to explain, but it's warming up your muscles doing movements that mimic what will be done in the sport you're playing. For instance, instead of stretching you're groin by separating your legs far and leaning down one side, do side shuffles and hip movements.
Instead of sitting on the ground and trying to touch your toes, slowly and in a controlled manner do high front kicks, going higher and higher every time.

I'm terrible at explaining that without showing but it's probably exactly what you mean by PNF.

This is nothing of what I mean by PNF. I explained what PNF is. What you explained is simply part of a warm-up--- not any official type of stretching. It's all good though. :)

Metalhead
01-19-2007, 12:51 PM
This is nothing of what I mean by PNF. I explained what PNF is. What you explained is simply part of a warm-up--- not any official type of stretching. It's all good though. :)

Like I said it's extremely hard for me to explain. Just stretching as in sitting and holding a stretch is not what should be done prior to a work out. Should only be used immediately after.

Alwaysbelieve1
01-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Like I said it's extremely hard for me to explain. Just stretching as in sitting and holding a stretch is not what should be done prior to a work out. Should only be used immediately after.

Agreed and that is why I noted a good warm-up is to create movement.