PDA

View Full Version : Training supplements

jlruthven84
01-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Not sure if this belongs in this forum, but I was just wondering...

Any of you guys use stuff like Xyience or anything like it? Regardless, how much does stuff like that actually help you, are there any detrimental side effects, and is it possible to seriously compete in today's MMA game if you don't use something like that?

dudefella
01-19-2007, 03:02 AM
Xyience is basically over-marketed junk... there are much better products available for less money. Never trust something so heavily marketed... with that much cash flow in marketing, they don't need quality products. Now, is the stuff necessary? Not really, if your diet is great. Is it helpful? From a bodybuilding perspective, absolutely. I'd say a good multivitamin is necessary for anyone doing any kind of serious training. It's nearly impossible to get everything through even the strictest diet. It's also nearly impossible to get enough protein through dieting to put on muscle quickly without a protein supplement (considering 1.5-2 grams/lb of bodyweight is optimal). Possible, yes, but very expensive, and a LOT of eating.

Stuff I'm currently taking (putting on muscle right now so I can train and fight at 205):
protein supplement (obviously)
two multivitamins (haven't been able to find one in Canada that I'm happy with, so I take 2 different ones)
creatine ethyl ester (after a few weeks on this, I'd say creatine monohydrate is better)
omega 3-6-9 fatty acids (it's good for you)
milk thistle (good for the liver)
chromium picolinate (supposedly assists in insulin production and enhances its effects in the body... jury's out on this one, only been taking it a few weeks.. it's cheap)
weight gainer (one big shake... calories from fat and sugar, some protein, amino acids... not the healthiest thing in the world, but it's really hard for me to hit 4000 calories in a day with straight food.. a full serving is ~1100 calories, don't feel like getting up to look. Definitely no worse for me than a few slices of pizza)

starting next week (I wouldn't recommend this to anyone under 21 or governed by an athletic body):
Methyl 1-D (prohormone... I guess "oral steroid" in lamens terms)
Liquid Masterdrol (again... prohormone)
I-GH-1 ("growth hormone secretagogue"... basically taking this to complement M1D and LM)

That stuff is basically a 4 week cycle of weak "steroids" (really not the right term, but this isn't a bodybuilding forum) without any nasty side-effects, which should bring me up to 205 so I can train for next fall. Absolutely unnecessary, but I want to train on the mat instead of the freeweights as much as possible before the fall. Very ill-advised to take any of those prohormones if you haven't done a significant amount of research on the subject.

Following that cycle:
Formadrol Extreme (Post Cycle Therapy... testosterone booster, will bring my endocrine system/testosterone production back to normal.. I believe it's a 3 week cycle, can't be bothered to go grab the bottle)

Again, I'd like to reiterate that none of this stuff is necessary, and you can be successful in MMA without any of it. That said, I'd recommend anyone training seriously take:

A good multivitamin
Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids (fish oil, flax seed oil.. whatever.. your body needs these, and it's just plain good for you)
protein supplement

I'd also recommend L-glutamine to anyone that has problems with getting sick or hurt (more common) after over-training... everyone hits the over-training wall at some point, and being sidelined for a few weeks is a real pain in the ass. I will warn you though... glutamine farts are the absolute WORST.

Clint
01-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Again, I'd like to reiterate that none of this stuff is necessary, and you can be successful in MMA without any of it. That said, I'd recommend anyone training seriously take:

A good multivitamin
Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids (fish oil, flax seed oil.. whatever.. your body needs these, and it's just plain good for you)
protein supplement

I'd also recommend L-glutamine to anyone that has problems with getting sick or hurt (more common) after over-training... everyone hits the over-training wall at some point, and being sidelined for a few weeks is a real pain in the ass. I will warn you though... glutamine farts are the absolute WORST.

This sums it up right here. People seem to have mixed opinions of L-Glutamine but it's cheap enough to take anways.

Frasedog
01-19-2007, 11:42 AM
I am an avid weightlifter and everything I'v read says l-glutamine is a great suppliment. It is the most abundant amino acid in the body, and is used for a variety of functions. The idea here is that when you lift, your muscles will want more than your body can provide. Supplimenting ensures that your muscles get what they need.
Right now I am taking a Twinlab Creatine Stack that contains creatine, l-glutamine, and taurine. Its convenient rather than taking each one separate.
Always take protein 1-2 grams per pound you weigh.

Clint
01-19-2007, 11:51 AM
I am an avid weightlifter and everything I'v read says l-glutamine is a great suppliment. It is the most abundant amino acid in the body, and is used for a variety of functions. The idea here is that when you lift, your muscles will want more than your body can provide. Supplimenting ensures that your muscles get what they need.
Right now I am taking a Twinlab Creatine Stack that contains creatine, l-glutamine, and taurine. Its convenient rather than taking each one separate.
Always take protein 1-2 grams per pound you weigh.

The other view on it is that you will get all of the glutamine you need from protein powders and that most of it is obsorbed by your GI tract and never really reaches your muscles. Like I said though it's cheap enough to try it out and see how you like it. It's not like it's gonna hurt.

Frasedog
01-19-2007, 11:53 AM
The other view on it is that you will get all of the glutamine you need from protein powders and that most of it is obsorbed by your GI tract and never really reaches your muscles. Like I said though it's cheap enough to try it out and see how you like it. It's not like it's gonna hurt.
youre absolutely right. i took a whey protein a while ago made by optimum nutrition and it had their "aminogen" amino acid formula in the powder. it didnt break down the amounts though. ive always heard 5-10 g per day is good.

Clint
01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Yeah generally if your gonna supplement it then 5-10 grams should be plenty. Optimum Nutrition is a solid whey for the money by way (and it tastes pretty good compared to some I've tried)

dudefella
01-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Yeah generally if your gonna supplement it then 5-10 grams should be plenty. Optimum Nutrition is a solid whey for the money by way (and it tastes pretty good compared to some I've tried)
I wouldn't go over 5g with glutamine... the farts are bad enough at 5g, but even more excess turns you into a biohazard.

knappman
01-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Ok first off Xyience is not junk. If you are looking to bulk up that supplement is not going to help you. The guy who said it is junk needs his fucking mind re-examined. Xyience helps with toneing. If you want to bulk up you need a product called "Mass Stack."

I Use xyience and it is amazing it gives me the edge i need to train hard and gives me wicked recovery time. I use the NOX-CG 3 and the X-test and it has allowed me to work my body more like a machine. I love xyience i am a believer and it has helped me in my MMA and has improved my cardio greatly. For the guys that want a good workout or want to get in shape i recommend buying LL Cool J's "platnuim workout" it is an amazing book and it teaches you everything.

Basically there is different supplements for different people and they benefit a person in different ways. People that think xyience is crap well then that is there opion. Xyience has been around a long time and it has quality not quanty.

Clint
01-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Ok first off Xyience is not junk. If you are looking to bulk up that supplement is not going to help you. The guy who said it is junk needs his fucking mind re-examined. Xyience helps with toneing. If you want to bulk up you need a product called "Mass Stack."

I Use xyience and it is amazing it gives me the edge i need to train hard and gives me wicked recovery time. I use the NOX-CG 3 and the X-test and it has allowed me to work my body more like a machine. I love xyience i am a believer and it has helped me in my MMA and has improved my cardio greatly. For the guys that want a good workout or want to get in shape i recommend buying LL Cool J's "platnuim workout" it is an amazing book and it teaches you everything.

Basically there is different supplements for different people and they benefit a person in different ways. People that think xyience is crap well then that is there opion. Xyience has been around a long time and it has quality not quanty.

You are being ripped off. You can get better products for half of the price of xyience products. On top of that the quality is low (tests found that some of the vitamins listed in their vitamins aren't even in there for example).

dudefella
01-19-2007, 03:35 PM

I'm sorry, but the general consensus in the bodybuilding and supplement industry is that xyience is overpriced and overhyped, and there are better alternatives. I've got many acquaintances in the industry (LG Sciences, Ultimate Nutrition, Prolabs, and a few smaller niche companies) who are quick to point out to me competitors products that are equal (and cheaper at retail) or better, and NONE of them point me in the direction of xyience. Their best product was their multivitamin, but it's been discontinued.

You get good gains from their products? Great, but you could have gotten the same (or better) gains for less money with other brands. You are, indeed, being ripped off.

Frasedog
01-19-2007, 05:52 PM

Who the hell can afford their products anyway. the month supply of nox cg3 is like $60. That is one fricken suppliment. I spent less on NO Xplode, GNC creatine monohydrate and GNC l-glutamine, and my protein. Sure if you dont mind dropping $120 a month on suppliments get the Xyience, but for that kind of cash your money would be better spent on Muscletech or BSN products.

dudefella
01-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Who the hell can afford their products anyway. the month supply of nox cg3 is like $60. That is one fricken suppliment. I spent less on NO Xplode, GNC creatine monohydrate and GNC l-glutamine, and my protein. Sure if you dont mind dropping $120 a month on suppliments get the Xyience, but for that kind of cash your money would be better spent on Muscletech or BSN products.
GNC is really expensive as well.. they mark up way more than most stores. Bodybuilding.com has the best prices hands down, and shipping is cheap in North America. I don't know how they make any money... their margins are so low.

Alwaysbelieve1
01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
I will take this info directly from my Smart Nutrition Book which is part of the A.B.1 Training Systems Program. :)

1. Protein Sources

i. The most important choice here is quality.
ii. Taste should not be a factor. Think about what it is doing to your body.
iii. Muscle Milk(RTDs), Nectar, Optimum Nutrition, and Pure Advantage are all great whey protein brands.
iv. GNC’s Protein 95 is a great (Supro Soy) soy protein source. Spiru-Tein is also a good brand choice for soy as well.
v. The other option is a protein bar. Balance, Zone, Nitrotech or Detour brands are some of the best bars to choose.

2. The next is the most important, the multi-vitamin.

a. Other than water this is the absolute most important item to have in your diet. Do not use generics such as store brands, Centrum or One-A-Day merely because of the binders in them. They have been proven not to dissolve or absorb at all in your system. The only reason they are able to be manufactured then sold is because the FDA does not regulate supplements. One of the brands I would recommend which is very cost effective as well is Source Natural’s Life Force Multivitamin w/o iron for men and with iron for females. (females who are post menopause should also use the w/o iron version). Take one directly after the first food meal of the day and then again around lunch time. You may notice from the very first couple days of taking it that you will have much more energy, but most people achieve the full potential in about 30-45 days.

I also stand by the Standard Process Brand. Their items are whole food based. I currently use these myself.

3. OPTIONAL: L-Glutamine(a.k.a. “Glut”)

This is for most people who are trying to recover very quickly and/or put on a whole lot of muscle.
a. “Glut” is a free-form amino acid produced in the muscle cells. It aid in the recuperation and repair (building) of muscle tissues after a workout. If the body lacks this it may take longer to repair and also deprive the muscles from stored Glut aminos in the cells and you actually can lose muscle tissue.
b. This should be taken about twice a day. A serving of Glut is 4-5 grams of the powder form. Take one serving either in the morning or immediately after exercise and the final serving right before bedtime. Each day about 10 grams must be consumed for optimal benefit in muscle building programs. Weight loss programs may also benefit from glutamine.

4. Dandelion Root

This is a natural diuretic (relieves the body of excess water). Use this if you often feel bloated or are a woman who needs to lose some excess body water to look and feel much leaner.

I hope that helps and if anyone desires more info on these or other products please just post replies to this thread and I will gladly continue this great topic.

Geronimo
01-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Tuna, lean chicken and turkey, and protein shakes. All protein with little or no fat or carbs.
Also add a little flax oil to your shakes for heart health. dont die young like a pro wrestler