PDA

View Full Version : Mistake In Sonnen-Bisping Judging, Sonnen Wins Split Decision

Sakara=Excitement
01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Mistake In Sonnen-Bisping Judging, Sonnen Wins Split Decision - FightLine.com (http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2012/0129/547225/chael-sonnen/)

What was in the water last night in Chicago?

It was reported by UFC president Dana White shortly following the UFC on Fox 2: Evans vs. Davis event had concluded that Chris Weidman, who stepped up on short notice to take on Demian Maia on the night's main card, had not beaten Maia by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27), as was initially announced by Bruce Buffer, but had actually defeated the Brazilian by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27).

This morning, F4WOnline reports that the Weidman-Maia decision wasn't the only judges' decision to be rendered or read incorrectly, as apparently there was an error in getting across the correct result of the night's co-main event, which pitted middleweights Chael Sonnen and Michael Bisping against one another.

Originally and controversially read as a unanimous decision in Sonnen's favor, with scores of 30-27, 29-28, and 29-28 all going for the Oregonian. As it's being reported, the actual scorecards show a different story, one that much better reflects what happened in the fight. According to F4WOnline, two judges gave rounds one and three to Sonnen, with Bisping taking the second, while the third judge scored it unanimously for Bisping.

Masscore
01-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Wasn't there a fight where they read the wrong winner? I want to say it was Din Thomas v. Matt Serra or something along those lines.

dimerules28
01-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Woah seriously, someone had the whole fight for bisping, that's kinda crazy. I think you could make an argument for the first 2 rounds but def
Not the third. That being said, I think sonnen won, but was thoroughly unimpressed with how he got the win. Barely edging someone after you talk that much trash should not warrant you a title shot

Ashy Larry
01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Hah 30-27 for bisping is just as bad as 30-27 sonnen. It was obvious neither of them won all 3 rounds

Repenter
01-29-2012, 07:47 PM
only a matter of time til the wrong winner is read, and there is a very public stripping of title shots because of a fuck-up.

this is why i drink.

FCK
01-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Whoooooa? Talk about tainted result?

Why on earth was it read out wrong? Was Bruce Buffer not on his game or something?

This doesn't make sense at all.

I thought Weidman winning by split decision was very fortunate for him, and must have been damn close on the score cards, but by unanimous decision? Hmmm.

Bisping/Sonnen score card seemed a little better, as the judges must have done an overly shit hot scoring on that close fight to pull out a unanimous decisious - which is unlike them.

What is the explanation for this weird misreadings? Bruce Buffer? Or the guy that wrote the card for him to read the result? Bit controversial though.

FFFRpickup
01-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Woah seriously, someone had the whole fight for bisping, that's kinda crazy. I think you could make an argument for the first 2 rounds but def
Not the third. That being said, I think sonnen won, but was thoroughly unimpressed with how he got the win. Barely edging someone after you talk that much trash should not warrant you a title shot

Remember. Silva is avoiding Sonnen. Silva's plan has always been to have all top contenders fight each other and elimiante each other from contention. Then when nobody strings together a run...he gets to fight the lieks of Cote, Leites or Maia. It's what Silva does. He did it to Hendo and now Sonnen. You kinda loose motivation walking through top contender after top contender while the champ avoids you. Silva is brilliant at that. Bisping now gets sent to the bottom. While Silva avoids Sonnen. having every top contender eliminate themselves while he waits for surgury waits or for recovery waits for his brazilian. what ever. Silva is great but not a goood representative of a true champion.

I'm sure Silva will fight Maia again hurt or not.

Eric T Smith
01-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Hah 30-27 for bisping is just as bad as 30-27 sonnen. It was obvious neither of them won all 3 rounds

Very true. 30-27 in either direction is wrong. I personally scored it 29-28 Bisping, but can see how it could've been 29-28 Sonnen. I think any time a judge goes heavily against popular opinion, they should be forced to stand in front of a panel and explain themselves.

Supe
01-29-2012, 10:12 PM

I thought chael convincingly won the third. The other two rounds could have gone either way in my book.

dimerules28
01-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Remember. Silva is avoiding Sonnen. Silva's plan has always been to have all top contenders fight each other and elimiante each other from contention. Then when nobody strings together a run...he gets to fight the lieks of Cote, Leites or Maia. It's what Silva does. He did it to Hendo and now Sonnen. You kinda loose motivation walking through top contender after top contender while the champ avoids you. Silva is brilliant at that. Bisping now gets sent to the bottom. While Silva avoids Sonnen. having every top contender eliminate themselves while he waits for surgury waits or for recovery waits for his brazilian. what ever. Silva is great but not a goood representative of a true champion.

Lol what does any of what you said have to do with my comment. Sounds like you really wanted to get sum silva hate off your chest.

Cat--Smasher
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ypcZjPFRvWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

foutch550
01-29-2012, 11:37 PM
No way Bisping won that fight. I agree that Sonnen's performance was not near as good as I had hoped, but the little he did do was more than Bisping pulled off.

Repenter
01-29-2012, 11:48 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ypcZjPFRvWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i haven't had a chance to watch the full fight yet... but i'm wondering just how selective the editing was on that, because it looks like chael beat bisping from piller to poste based on that video.

beau420
01-30-2012, 12:37 AM
First off.

This should have been in the Noob Jack shit. A story on a website who refered to an article on a website called WON/F4W - WWE news, Pro Wrestling News, WWE Results, UFC News, UFC results (http://www.f4wonline.com)

Which is Wrestling Observer/Figure Four Weekly

Correction to earlier report on UFC scorecards (http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/97-ufc/23988-correction-to-earlier-report-on-ufc-scorecards)

In the first report we had last night on the UFC scorecards, we had a typo saying one judge, Clay Goodman, gave all three rounds to Bisping when he actually gave all three to Sonnen, as obviously a third to Bisping made no sense. Sorry for the error.

Don't post from this shit site.

Source was shit....story and a story based on a story is shit too.

Sakara=Excitement
01-30-2012, 01:24 AM
First off.

This should have been in the Noob Jack shit. A story on a website who refered to an article on a website called WON/F4W - WWE news, Pro Wrestling News, WWE Results, UFC News, UFC results (http://www.f4wonline.com)

Which is Wrestling Observer/Figure Four Weekly

Correction to earlier report on UFC scorecards (http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/97-ufc/23988-correction-to-earlier-report-on-ufc-scorecards)

Don't post from this shit site.

Source was shit....story and a story based on a story is shit too.

Two snaps and a twist thread police girlfriend!

How about you start posting any articles at all so we all know which are and arent shit by your blessing.

beau420
01-30-2012, 02:05 AM
Two snaps and a twist thread police girlfriend!

How about you start posting any articles at all so we all know which are and arent shit by your blessing.

First....LOL....second...here is seriously what people should do:

Step 1. Never post an article that lists another website as their only reference. Like if MiddleEasy reports that some other website has posted....don't post MiddleEasy's link...post the website that originated the story.

Step 2. Look for any other website on the internet that backs up that fact. ANY second source at all. One source referenced in 10 different articles is still just one source.

And Step 3. Wait to see if I login and bitch out at the person who posted it.

----

All I did was read twitter. I saw no other reporter talk about it. Nothing mentioned during the press conference.

Now some shitty wrestling website has the inside scoop that NO other website on the internet has? Seems obvious to me. But two pages of comments is apparently enough to convince some.

Come on people. We are better than the Underground and Sherdog message boards spreading misinformation and jumping on rumour train. Be diligent.

Sakara=Excitement
01-30-2012, 03:06 AM
First....LOL....second...here is seriously what people should do:

Step 1. Never post an article that lists another website as their only reference. Like if MiddleEasy reports that some other website has posted....don't post MiddleEasy's link...post the website that originated the story.

Step 2. Look for any other website on the internet that backs up that fact. ANY second source at all. One source referenced in 10 different articles is still just one source.

And Step 3. Wait to see if I login and bitch out at the person who posted it.

----

All I did was read twitter. I saw no other reporter talk about it. Nothing mentioned during the press conference.

Now some shitty wrestling website has the inside scoop that NO other website on the internet has? Seems obvious to me. But two pages of comments is apparently enough to convince some.

Come on people. We are better than the Underground and Sherdog message boards spreading misinformation and jumping on rumour train. Be diligent.

Are you my boss or something? LOL

IceCold48
01-30-2012, 03:18 AM

i think its worse.

H0SS
01-30-2012, 03:51 AM
No way Bisping won that fight. I agree that Sonnen's performance was not near as good as I had hoped, but the little he did do was more than Bisping pulled off.

The sad thing is that some people point at the Bisping fight as proof that Chael had an unfair advantage against Silva, not realizing that A)he was still on TRT against Bisping, and B)He will most likely be on TRT against Silva again.

_DCdoctr_
01-30-2012, 05:10 AM
The sad thing is that some people point at the Bisping fight as proof that Chael had an unfair advantage against Silva, not realizing that A)he was still on TRT against Bisping, and B)He will most likely be on TRT against Silva again.

What's pontentially even more thought provoking is who's actually on some form of PED that we don't know. It seems a lot more people/athletes are coming out and saying that it's more widespread than we'd like to admit.

At least Chael has a legitimate reason to be utilizing TRT, though that does open another can of worms as to why he requires the therapy in the first place, e.g. his hypogonadism.

BP

speranman
01-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Why on earth was it read out wrong? Was Bruce Buffer not on his game or something?

I do recall in an earlier fight that Buffer read something like...referee Herb Dean and the 3 judges scored the bout.....

You could tell when he said it that he knew he messed up, but he didn't want to correct himself.

Y2JUBAE
01-30-2012, 02:46 PM

Maybe you just tuned in but Silva has beaten Hendo and Sonnen and not by decision either.

FCK
01-30-2012, 03:02 PM
That high light reel video posted is quite funny.

From that video it looks like like a walk in the park for Chael. Not much of the first round is covered, and the second is completely covered from every angle favouring Sonnen. Considering nothing much can be taken from the third as it was uneventful then yeah it looks like Sonnen walked through Bisping not even taking a shot.

We never saw the shots Bisping landed in the first round, or the quick standups, or Sonnen getting turned around in the clinch, or the reversal late in the 3rd Bisping got over Sonnen.

Those all led to a great performance from both fighters I feel. The highlight reel was never going to be stunning.

Considering how well Bisping did in basically neutralising Sonnen causing any real damage, or threatening a submission, I felt the ref's decision to standup the fight could have been implemented maybe twice in that fight.

Masscore
01-30-2012, 03:22 PM
i haven't had a chance to watch the full fight yet... but i'm wondering just how selective the editing was on that, because it looks like chael beat bisping from piller to poste based on that video.

Just two things.

1. Bear hugging is not a highlight and thats all Bisping really did.

2. If you watch the fight with out Joe Rogan screaming about how awesome Bisping was, you will see that Sonnen was actually getting the better in the stand-up. He clipped Bisping twice but you don't notice it because Goldberg and Rogan don't mention it. This is their second worse annoucing job they have ever done. Number 1 still being Munoz v. Okami.

grambino
01-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Just two things.

1. Bear hugging is not a highlight and thats all Bisping really did.

2. If you watch the fight with out Joe Rogan screaming about how awesome Bisping was, you will see that Sonnen was actually getting the better in the stand-up. He clipped Bisping twice but you don't notice it because Goldberg and Rogan don't mention it. This is their second worse annoucing job they have ever done. Number 1 still being Munoz v. Okami.

Thank you, that's exactly right. Bisping didn't do anything. Listening to the fight reminded me of Crocodile Dundee. When he goes to the states and gets in the hotel room and the tv is on and it's playing the Lucille Ball show and he says "yep, see in". That's how I felt with the commentary. I hadn't listened to a fight in a few years and since I dvr'd this one and everyone was asleep I couldn't listen to music so I decided to listen and it reminded me of exactly why I don't listen. They're trying to convince me that Bisping is winning the fight and Chael needs to finish him in the 3rd to win! This actually had me concerned because you usually lose a decision to a TUF winner. Thank God the judges aren't listening to Rogan. I don't think Bisping is a scrub, but he's not one of the top guys either. He's at the top of the second tier.

disposableassassin
01-30-2012, 04:03 PM

anderson doesnt have the TDD or ability to get back up that bisping has. IMO that is the one truly elite level skill that bisping has. this fight went how it did because styles make fights.

beau420
01-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Thank you, that's exactly right. Bisping didn't do anything. Listening to the fight reminded me of Crocodile Dundee. When he goes to the states and gets in the hotel room and the tv is on and it's playing the Lucille Ball show and he says "yep, see in". That's how I felt with the commentary. I hadn't listened to a fight in a few years and since I dvr'd this one and everyone was asleep I couldn't listen to music so I decided to listen and it reminded me of exactly why I don't listen. They're trying to convince me that Bisping is winning the fight and Chael needs to finish him in the 3rd to win! This actually had me concerned because you usually lose a decision to a TUF winner. Thank God the judges aren't listening to Rogan. I don't think Bisping is a scrub, but he's not one of the top guys either. He's at the top of the second tier.

Here are the fight stats:

FightMetric: Sonnen vs. Bisping Official UFC Statistics (http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/01/sonnen-vs-bisping-official-ufc.html#more)

Total strikes were 135 to 102 for Sonnen. Bisping actually had more head strikes than Sonnen.

What Rogan forgets to take into consideration sometimes, is power, and how strikes affect the fighter.

Bisping was more affected by Sonnen's shots than Sonnen's strikes.

What I was surprised to see, is that Sonnen outstruct Bisping in the first round. And that Bisping scored 10 more head strikes in the 3rd round than Sonnen did.

Again...it was close. And I could see how a judge could score it two rounds to 1 for Bisping. But I am glad they were able to score it for the fighter with more significant strikes and more dominant.

You guys are talking about the fight like it was a Sonnen blow out.

I thought Sonnen has looked his worst fight since Maia....and apart from that, one of his worst showings since he entered the UFC.

FCK
01-30-2012, 05:51 PM
anderson doesnt have the TDD or ability to get back up that bisping has. IMO that is the one truly elite level skill that bisping has. this fight went how it did because styles make fights.

Yeah but if Anderson Silva really did have a broken rib going into that fight, you could easily imagine how that would have effected Silva's mobility on the ground/feet, flexibility to hip escape and simply painful to throw his legs up so high for a triangle.

I think Anderson doesn't quite have the TDD Bisping has because he's so good at not letting an opponent get so close. Chael's style plays the numbers in that if he comes forward for the take down, at least some of those times he's gonna get throught AS strikes to get in a position to take him down.

Chael also has a pretty good chin on him though, so he's got another advantage in trying to get the takedown in that he can weather the storm.

I think AS standup ability would be just as good as Bispings if we see a 100% healthy Silva in rematch.

Masscore
01-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah but if Anderson Silva really did have a broken rib going into that fight, you could easily imagine how that would have effected Silva's mobility on the ground/feet, flexibility to hip escape and simply painful to throw his legs up so high for a triangle.

I think Anderson doesn't quite have the TDD Bisping has because he's so good at not letting an opponent get so close. Chael's style plays the numbers in that if he comes forward for the take down, at least some of those times he's gonna get throught AS strikes to get in a position to take him down.

Chael also has a pretty good chin on him though, so he's got another advantage in trying to get the takedown in that he can weather the storm.

I think AS standup ability would be just as good as Bispings if we see a 100% healthy Silva in rematch.

For the one millionth and last fuckin time, Silva DID NOT HAVE A BROKEN RIB going into the fight. It got cracked in the first round. So when Sonnen rocked Silva in the first minute, Silva was friggin fine. If he did do you think he could have cut weight, fought or even got fuckin cleared by the CSAC? I just ask that people use some common friggin sense when it comes to this stuff.

Cat--Smasher
01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
So I wonder?

Did this thread end up in Noob Jack because of the shitty quality of the source, because it was total bullshit or because it has digressed to a discussion on Silva's "broken rib"?

sproggy
01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
I came for the punch and pie.

Masscore
01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
So I wonder?

Did this thread end up in Noob Jack because of the shitty quality of the source, because it was total bullshit or because it has digressed to a discussion on Silva's "broken rib"?

Combination of all three I believe.