PDA

View Full Version : Nick Diaz vs. Anderson Silva, @ 185lbs

dan the man 67
02-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Nick Diaz vs. Anderson Silva, @ 185lbs

Who takes it?

roaddawg
02-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Anderson has a better arsenal at his disposal not to mention hes very evasive.
Im going with Silva.

Xtremo
02-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Silva easy. Diaz would be moving up for the first time. Maybe if he gets some comfortable wins at that weight in future UFC events, he might do good. But if his next fight would hypothetically be against Silva at middleweight, then Silva all day.

Punk Ass
02-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Silva is way too big for Diaz.

MMA_juggalo
02-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Silva.....his striking is just so much better than Nick's. On a good night his striking takes dudes apart, when he is not dancing around and not engaging. And Silva could prolly make Diaz tap.
:hulk09:

NLRepublic
02-06-2012, 11:49 PM
This is a little unfair, as anyone at 205 and under not named Jon Jones would likely lose to Silva

FCK
02-06-2012, 11:58 PM
If Diaz thought Condits gameplan was annoying, then imagine the tantrum that'd arise after Andersons first hit knocked him silly whilst he blinked, and the second hit his coach told him about after he woke up.

Silva hits waaaay too hard and is way too quick for Diaz to even comprehend. Still be an amusing fight though.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
02-07-2012, 01:58 AM
I would pay 1 million dollars to see Nick Diaz throw up his arms and hands mid-round and jaw-jack Anderson.....

Rise
02-07-2012, 01:22 PM
I would pay 1 million dollars to see Nick Diaz throw up his arms and hands mid-round and jaw-jack Anderson.....

I was thinking the same thing watching Diaz do that as well one can only hope.

Anyways Silva is way more diverse a striker just as quick if not more so then Diaz. He's alot bigger and Diaz loses the reach advantage he normally has no question Silva takes this with ease.

KevoOnTheRadio
02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Is this a serious question?

Masscore
02-07-2012, 03:12 PM

I am wondering the same thing. Diaz's style would be tailor made for Silva to pick apart and destroy. Hell, Diaz would be lucky to make it out of the first round.

dan the man 67
02-07-2012, 06:33 PM

I am wondering the same thing. Diaz's style would be tailor made for Silva to pick apart and destroy. Hell, Diaz would be lucky to make it out of the first round.

Absolutely, it's a serious question. Why wouldn't it be? Do you deny that Diaz is one of the best strikers in the WW division, if not the best? He has picked apart some other great strikers, like BJ, Paul Daley, Zaromskis, etc. His style is quite unique.

Silva, of course, is a phenomenal striker as well, however he is not G*d. I don't believe that it's an instant win if an opponent chooses to stand against Silva. He hasn't faced another striker with Diaz's style.

Diaz has fought at 185lbs before, so it's not completely foreign to him.

I think it would be an interesting matchup myself.

Supe
02-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Diaz gets mauled and mopped up off the canvas. His pressing forward style and reach disadvantage would give Silva a chubby.

Punk Ass
02-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Absolutely, it's a serious question. Why wouldn't it be? Do you deny that Diaz is one of the best strikers in the WW division, if not the best? He has picked apart some other great strikers, like BJ, Paul Daley, Zaromskis, etc. His style is quite unique.

Silva, of course, is a phenomenal striker as well, however he is not G*d. I don't believe that it's an instant win if an opponent chooses to stand against Silva. He hasn't faced another striker with Diaz's style.

Diaz has fought at 185lbs before, so it's not completely foreign to him.

I think it would be an interesting matchup myself.Yeh, some are looking at this in black and white. Saying that Diaz's style is tailor made for Silva is kind of stupid because what other style wouldnt be tailor made for him? To beat Silva striking, you have to pressure him. Simply put, there just hasnt been anyone good enough overall to beat him.

It will be very hard for Silva to land a clean punch on Diaz. It would be a chess match that I think Silva would out point Diaz. It would look like 2 extremely high level Boxers trying to impose their will but Silva will get the better of the chest match because he has the height, reach, and strength advantage.

Sniggles
02-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Silva would have a huge size, reach and skill advantage. Results would be the same as Leben v. Silva.

CtGreat
02-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Silva would have a huge size, reach and skill advantage. Results would be the same as Leben v. Silva.

This^

Silva would obliterate Diaz within the first round. He is way too fast, way too strong/big, and way too skilled for Diaz.

TBEAR
02-07-2012, 07:12 PM

ME TOO

^^^and this is my thoughts on this thread

Anderson destroys Nick all day, everyday

Masscore
02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Yeh, some are looking at this in black and white. Saying that Diaz's style is tailor made for Silva is kind of stupid because what other style wouldnt be tailor made for him? To beat Silva striking, you have to pressure him. Simply put, there just hasnt been anyone good enough overall to beat him.

It will be very hard for Silva to land a clean punch on Diaz. It would be a chess match that I think Silva would out point Diaz. It would look like 2 extremely high level Boxers trying to impose their will but Silva will get the better of the chest match because he has the height, reach, and strength advantage.

Diaz is really overrated or Silva is really underrated. Silva eats strikers for lunch and spits them out. He has already fought a guy who is arugably a better boxer then Diaz and that is Belfort. What happened in the fight? Silva made him look like a god damn fool.

Silva is probably the best counter striker in the history of MMA and Diaz would play right into that. Diaz would come forward, eat a number of jabs until Silva found the right moment to unleash a fight ending strike. Plus we are talking about a guy whose jabs have demolished the chins of Leben and Okami. Two guys who you have to hit with a sledgehammer to rock and Silva did it with well timed jabs.

Silva might have some weaknesses (takedown defense) but its not like Diaz would go all Chael Sonnen on Silva. So it would not be a matter of IF Diaz got finished it would be a matter of WHEN Silva got tired with him and decided to call it a day.

FFFRpickup
02-07-2012, 07:31 PM
I can see diax throw his hands out and,just when he starts his taunting....he eats a front kick and goes to sleep. So I go with Silvia....griffin styles.

Punk Ass
02-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Silva would have a huge size, reach and skill advantage. Results would be the same as Leben v. Silva.Do you understand that Leban's striking is amatuerish compared to Diaz? you cant compare the 2. This is just crazy.

Diaz is really overrated or Silva is really underrated. Silva eats strikers for lunch and spits them out. He has already fought a guy who is arugably a better boxer then Diaz and that is Belfort. What happened in the fight? Silva made him look like a god damn fool. Belfort has had problems with lesser strikers in Chuck liddell and Tito Ortiz. He is no Nick Diaz.

Also, Diaz is underated IMO. There is no one 170lbs and under who can go toe to toe with him. Condit tried once, said fuck that, and was on his bicycle the whole fight.

Diaz would not look like shit against Silva.

Silva is probably the best counter striker in the history of MMA and Diaz would play right into that. Diaz would come forward, eat a number of jabs until Silva found the right moment to unleash a fight ending strike. Plus we are talking about a guy whose jabs have demolished the chins of Leben and Okami. Two guys who you have to hit with a sledgehammer to rock and Silva did it with well timed jabs. You dont really understand how good Diaz's striking is.

Silva might have some weaknesses (takedown defense) but its not like Diaz would go all Chael Sonnen on Silva. So it would not be a matter of IF Diaz got finished it would be a matter of WHEN Silva got tired with him and decided to call it a day.non sense lol. It would be a very good fight.

dan the man 67
02-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Really? You feel that Diaz's skill set is on par with Leben, and that Diaz would do no better? Wow. No offense to Leben, but I think Diaz is on another level entirely.

This^

Silva would obliterate Diaz within the first round. He is way too fast, way too strong/big, and way too skilled for Diaz.

Diaz's hands are pretty fast too. Strong and big? Silva is only 1" taller than Diaz, and if they're fighting at 185lbs, both may be 10lbs heavier come fight time. How do you know Silva is stronger than Diaz? Neither fighter is overly muscular - both are pretty lean. You are just making an assumption. As far as skillsets go, I would give the edge to Silva, but not by enough where I don't think it would be an interesting matchup. Diaz brings a completely different style to the table, different from Belfort - Silva has never fought anyone with a similar style to Diaz.

KevoOnTheRadio
02-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Sure Diaz had fought at MW before, but he's a small one. Silva is a guy who cuts from HW numbers to get to 185. Sure, GSP has good stand up, but how would he do against a Jon Jones or a JDS? Diaz has good boxing, but Silva is on another level.

dan the man 67
02-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Sure Diaz had fought at MW before, but he's a small one. Silva is a guy who cuts from HW numbers to get to 185. Sure, GSP has good stand up, but how would he do against a Jon Jones or a JDS? Diaz has good boxing, but Silva is on another level.

GSP against Jones or JDS??? Firstly, JDS is 3 weight classes above GSP, and Jones is 2 weight classes above, so I don't understand the comparison. Secondly, GSP's standup is not on the same level as Diaz. Speaking of "levels", I don't think there is another level above Diaz's striking in MMA. I would agree that Silva has better standup than Diaz, but I do not agree that it is "another level".

KevoOnTheRadio
02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
GSP against Jones or JDS??? Firstly, JDS is 3 weight classes above GSP, and Jones is 2 weight classes above, so I don't understand the comparison.

And Silva is in a different weight class as well, and has fought as high as LHW.

Secondly, GSP's standup is not on the same level as Diaz. Speaking of "levels", I don't think there is another level above Diaz's striking in MMA. I would agree that Silva has better standup than Diaz, but I do not agree that it is "another level".

I would say GSP has better stand up the Diaz, but Diaz has better boxing. There is a difference. And the underlined is just ridiculous.

lwbrewer
02-07-2012, 08:52 PM
My thought is once Silva gets your rhythm down no body is any better than avoiding strikes. Diaz is a great striker, Once Silva Decides he's studied Nick enough and starts his ducking and weaving than throws his jabs Nicks in trouble. If he can't avoid that it's all over except for the post fight crying

CtGreat
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Muytai>boxing

TBEAR
02-07-2012, 09:04 PM
GSP against Jones or JDS??? Firstly, JDS is 3 weight classes above GSP, and Jones is 2 weight classes above, so I don't understand the comparison. Secondly, GSP's standup is not on the same level as Diaz. Speaking of "levels", I don't think there is another level above Diaz's striking in MMA. .

Really??????

That is just not close to true

0mega1
02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
wouldnt even be a close/fair fight. Diaz would get stopped either late in the first or early in the second round. I cant believe this is even a discussion.

dan the man 67
02-07-2012, 09:52 PM
And Silva is in a different weight class as well, and has fought as high as LHW.

We're talking about Diaz going up 1 weight class, not 2 or 3.

I would say GSP has better stand up the Diaz, but Diaz has better boxing. There is a difference. And the underlined is just ridiculous.

I guess it comes down to how you define "levels". For me, to be on a different level is to be so far advanced over the next guy, not just a little. I think Diaz's striking is at such a high level that there is no one who is that much better than him. There may be some who are a little better, but not on a different level.

For example, I would say Diaz's boxing is a little better than BJ Penn's, but certainly not by enough to say that Diaz is at a different level. I would say that JDS' boxing is on a different level than all other HWs.

There is no exact definition as to what would put someone on another level versus someone else

m1ckeykn0x
02-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Didn't everyone just see Condit VS Diaz?

Where Condit landed his punches and kicks, Anderson would land, with more, and with much better technique, power, agility, and evasiveness. Add in size and reach advantage, and Nick Diaz just got murdered by Anderson Silva, not to mention Anderson's knees and if he used his muay thai clinch on Nick.

I would love to see that fight, although, I wouldn't want to see Nick commit suicide afterwards. I actually enjoy watching him come fight and appreciate what he brings to the table as an athlete and fighter, but that's it.

Masscore
02-08-2012, 01:29 AM
Diaz just got outstruck by Condit and yet he is suppose to hold his won with a guy who is a far better striker then Silva. Really guys, really? I am not even a Silva fan and I am can say without a doubt he is the best striker in MMA and second place is a distant second place.

The Return Of......
02-08-2012, 05:32 AM
there is another level of striking above diaz. and several levels above that is Anderson Silva.

i mean, come on. look at who diaz had out boxed. the only 2 in there who have any claim is paul daley and bj penn. penn got tired and roughed up against the cage and daley rocked diaz a couple of times. not to mention daley is sloopy compared to silva. but hell compared to silva everyone is sloppy.

diaz would try to taunt, anderson would drop his hands move back to the cage diaz would swing anderson wouldnt be there cuz well he never seems to be there when someone swings then he would KO diaz. if it didnt end in the first it would only be cause we saw a 5 min dance off between the 2 first

FFFRpickup
02-08-2012, 06:12 AM
Yeh, some are looking at this in black and white. Saying that Diaz's style is tailor made for Silva is kind of stupid because what other style wouldnt be tailor made for him? To beat Silva striking, you have to pressure him. Simply put, there just hasnt been anyone good enough overall to beat him.

I think it will look like the condit fight except DIAZ would be on the canvas asking the ref... "he threw spinning shit eh?"

cnlclink
02-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Didn't everyone just see Condit VS Diaz?

Where Condit landed his punches and kicks, Anderson would land, with more, and with much better technique, power, agility, and evasiveness. Add in size and reach advantage, and Nick Diaz just got murdered by Anderson Silva, not to mention Anderson's knees and if he used his muay thai clinch on Nick.

I would love to see that fight, although, I wouldn't want to see Nick commit suicide afterwards. I actually enjoy watching him come fight and appreciate what he brings to the table as an athlete and fighter, but that's it.

His clinch is devastating...Diaz would likely be happy to just get ko'ed cleanly than wind up in that clinch, that is the stuff nightmares are made of...Franklin x2 experienced them.

there is another level of striking above diaz. and several levels above that is Anderson Silva.

i mean, come on. look at who diaz had out boxed. the only 2 in there who have any claim is paul daley and bj penn. penn got tired and roughed up against the cage and daley rocked diaz a couple of times. not to mention daley is sloopy compared to silva. but hell compared to silva everyone is sloppy.

diaz would try to taunt, anderson would drop his hands move back to the cage diaz would swing anderson wouldnt be there cuz well he never seems to be there when someone swings then he would KO diaz. if it didnt end in the first it would only be cause we saw a 5 min dance off between the 2 first

Or would just clinch-fuck him and then ouch on Diaz's face.

I do find this fight slightly interesting just to see if Diaz could somehow tire Silva out, would he have a chance?

dan the man 67
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Okay guys, Anderson vs Nick in a weed smoking contest............who takes it? :)

TBEAR
02-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Okay guys, Anderson vs Nick in a weed smoking contest............who takes it? :)

LOL Nick by a mile

cnlclink
02-10-2012, 04:40 PM
LOL Nick by a mile

You mean Nick would smoke him in that competition.

W.Silva>C.Norris
02-12-2012, 11:51 AM
So, Im gonna assume Im having a stroke, and didnt just read that nick diaz has the best striking in MMA. About the only best that nick has in anything in mma is unibrow.

Silva stamps nick into obscurity, and if by some god granted miracle, diaz actually managed to stay awake for the end of the fight, his face would look like a pound of raw hamburger.

Kimbo> Rampage
02-25-2012, 09:52 PM
I love Diaz but he doesnt stand a chance in this one. But Anderson is getting older. One day he is just going to show up and not have it anymore. He relies on his talents. He can still win with skill, but that isnt his style.

m1ckeykn0x
02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
I love Diaz but he doesnt stand a chance in this one. But Anderson is getting older. One day he is just going to show up and not have it anymore. He relies on his talents. He can still win with skill, but that isnt his style.

Have you returned from the dead? :D

Dan
02-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Anderson has a better arsenal at his disposal not to mention hes very evasive.
Im going with Silva.

I'm going to go with the same man. If Condit could be evasive enough to frustrate Diaz then I have no doubts that Silva could do the same.