PDA

View Full Version : Rousey: Not a bit sorry to be breaking girl's arms

Cat--Smasher
02-08-2012, 05:47 AM
Rousey: Not a bit sorry to be breaking girl's arms
http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&rs=60&q=75&x=44&y=18&w=310&h=165&ro=0&s=ronda-rousey-08-19-11-0-24-37-455.jpg

On Sunday, Jeff Sherwood, the father of MMA journalism, interviewed Ronda Rousey at the LA Fitness Expo. Rousey possesses a combination of skill, looks, and wit that, were she male, would make her the transcending figure that pundits believe MMA needs in order to break through fully to the mainstream.

Maybe she is anyway. Maybe Ronda Rousey is on her to becoming the face of MMA.

The interview was wide ranging, compelling, and as real as it gets.

Rousey on Cris Cyborg

"She was a detriment to women's MMA. No little girl is going to watch Cris Cyborg fight and want to be like her one day. I don't think it's a good example. I think it was obvious all along that she was doping, and I think it sends a bad message to kids that you need to dope in order to be achampion. I think it's better with her gone."

On Miesha Tate saying she talked her way into a title shot

"There's a reason why the Olympics is every four years. It's because if they had it every year, they would go bankrupt. The Olympics is the epitome of sport and that's where it's all just about the sport. But with professional sports it's about entertainment. It's about making money. The core of everything is still about the sport, but that's not everything it's about. It's hilarious when these girls are ‘you talked yourself into a title shot!' What you're really saying in a mean way is that I'm smarter than all of you, and I actually have an understanding of how this works and used it to my advantage."

On ring card girls

"There's a reason why the ring girls aren't asked to star in movies, and it's because they're pretty but talentless."

On the Olympics

"Everyone talks about how awesome the Olympics are, but you know what? After the Olympics they give you ten grand a handshake. And you know what, it costs way more than ten grand to get there. The Olympics didn't give a damn about me after I was done. And I gotta do what I gotta do to make a living. If I gotta pose for some magazines...I'm not gonna show my nipples or a------ or anything like that but if I gotta walk around at the beach in a bikini, why not let someone take a picture of me and put it in a magazine?

"All these companies make millions and millions of dollars to put the Olympic rings as like a logo. I walked into 24 hour fitness the other day. They're a multi-million dollar sponsor of the Olympic games. And they have all these Olympic rings all over the place. They know I'm an Olympic medalist. They know I'm an Olympian. They will not let me in there without paying. I have to pay to go into 24 hour fitness. I have to buy every single Gatorade bottle. That money does not go to the athletes. That money goes into a lot of really corrupt national governing bodies that bounce that money around, they give it to all their friends, and almost none of that money makes it to the athletes. USA Judo is the most corrupt organizations ever, and they hated me because I was not afraid to say it, and they always gave me as little funding as possible.

"At the 2007 Worlds they sent more officials and more people from their organization, and then they made most of the athletes pay for themselves to go. They only sponsorerd three athletes to go, and they sent like eleven different people. And I remember at the Pan Am games, or Pan-Am champsionships in wherever we were at, a bunch of the athletes had to pay for themselves to go and then they flew some PR girl at the last minute. Thousands of dollars just to show up and hang around. And they're sending all their people first class, and they're spending all this, you look at their budget and they're spending thousands of dollars on entertainment for each other. All the people that work for this organization are sitting in these amazing hotels, and the athletes, I'm sitting in a hut. A chalet in the middle of Belgium.

"All that money and none of it goes to the athletes, and the second that you're done fighting they just give you a kick in the ass out the door. There's nothing set in place to help the athletes after they're done. What are you doing while you're training your whole life? You're not getting as much education as you could. You're not getting as much work experience as you could. And so what happens after the Olympics Is that you have all these athletes that have no work experience, no education, and they have no health insurance. And it's all bulls---.

"And that's why I'm like screw everyone's idea of 'oh what sports are supposed to be like'. I did what sports were supposed to be like, and I was living in my car. So you know what, fine. I'm gonna talk a bunch of shit. I'm gonna pose in a couple of pictures. And I'm gonna break a couple of girl's arms, and I'm not gonna feel the least bit sorry about it because you know what? At least I can feed my dog."

Rousey: Not a bit sorry to be breaking girl's arms - MMA News (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/383505/Rousey-Not-a-bit-sorry-to-be-breaking-girls-arms/)

CtGreat
02-08-2012, 05:52 AM
I never really thought about Olympic athletes like that

Pasha K
02-08-2012, 06:55 AM
.I'm not gonna show my nipples or a------ or anything like that

:( :( :( :'(

SwordofAres
02-08-2012, 07:21 AM
I cant wait till Miesha shuts this girl up

MIZjitsZOU
02-08-2012, 02:06 PM
I cant wait till Miesha shuts this girl up

"this girl" is a world class athlete. her jitz and judo is gonna give Miesha's wrestling fits. Someone might shut her up one day, but I don't think it will be Miesha. Bad matchup for her, IMO.

Unless the weight cut is too much.

Hawkeye
02-08-2012, 02:34 PM
I met this girl a few years ago...she was a little tubbo....interesting to see what a little diet does to a peson.
as a fighter, i cant say one way or another, but as a quest instructor visiting her school, she's someone who might as well have stayed home.

H.

bega
02-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't mind people hyping themselves but I think she is spending too much time with Nick Diaz. There are also other Olympic athletes but they are not saying publicly that they need free gym access and free Gatorade.

Also, Chris Cyborg was caught ONCE using steroids (and every other time she was tested she passed the test). I'm not saying that other times she was or wasn't using but just because she is not looking "girly" you cannot say that she is juicing all the time.

And the biggest problem I have with her attitude is that she is OK with the idea of breaking few arms. C'mon, you are professional athlete, show some respect to other fighters that are going through the same process. It is one thing not to like them but completely different to be OK to hurt them.

TheKidInside
02-08-2012, 03:23 PM
good luck to Meisha but she's got nothing for Ronda...i don't know if you guys realize who her boyfriend and training partner for like 5 years now is but it's the dude Henry she always mentions who just happens to be one of the few people in the WORLD to be awarded a RICKSON GRACIE black belt in Jiu Jitsu...Ronda is going to tear right through Miesha in a very scary way because having a world Judo experience is like nothing you can imagine...especially infinitely tougher and more hectic than female wrestling.

I am so glad she's said all that about US Judo association because having trained and competed at the national level I can tell you ALL of that is absolutely true...The US Judo association requires gyms to pay a huge membership fee yearly, then MUST present several athletes per competition and pay ridiculous entree fees (if you do grappling tournaments you know they're expensive but Judo is about 200 bucks per lol) and of course pay your own way there, etc.

Chillzone
02-08-2012, 03:41 PM
And the biggest problem I have with her attitude is that she is OK with the idea of breaking few arms. C'mon, you are professional athlete, show some respect to other fighters that are going through the same process. It is one thing not to like them but completely different to be OK to hurt them.

I'm perfectly okay with a competitor breaking another competitor's limb in order to win the fight. As cruel as it sounds, from an honor standpoint, if I'm a BJJ fighter who got bested on the ground, I owe it to my opponent to tap and not have to make the decision of snapping my arm/ankle/etc. Big Nog had no intentions of tapping against Mir and was going to try and wait until Mir slacked off to get out... so like Mir said "I knew he wasn't going to tap, so I took a deep breath and snapped it."

I'm also okay with her not wanting to be naked in magazines/on the internet. A little mystery is nice IMO, and from a father's standpoint, I feel it's okay to be gorgeous/sexy without having to get naked just because people will make it rain Benjamins to see. Not to mention, when really has the hype behind naked pictures of a celebrity lived up to expectation? Having said that, with Miesha talking all this crap about how Rousey markets herself, I bet once her own career starts to wind down, she will try to get into movies as well as pose naked for a magazine (depending on how successfull, she may have to settle for a lower level-less airbrushing magazine)... you heard it here first.

:wav:

CRisCO
02-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Honestly that was a raw ass interview and I respect her way more now.

The8thPlague
02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Female Chael.
SHUT UP!!!

Pasha K
02-08-2012, 09:19 PM

First of all I don't think she would want to break an arm. I think she tries to say that if her opponent does not tap, she will not have any mercy and will break the arm, which is very understandable. You need to win the fight, and if the only way to do that is to break an arm, then it must be like that. If the opponent does not tap it is his/her fault.

Ronda is talking a lot of smack but I do not dislike her, she said herself that she does that just for WMMA to be more popular.

dan the man 67
02-08-2012, 09:37 PM
I am starting to believe that this girl has some serious issues. Everything that comes out of her mouth is negative and/or controversial. Maybe it's all an act to play the villain role............?

Pasha K
02-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I am starting to believe that this girl has some serious issues. Everything that comes out of her mouth is negative and/or controversial. Maybe it's all an act to play the villain role............?

Obviously it is

Masscore
02-08-2012, 10:06 PM
See seems to be talking for a fighter that has never done anything MMA. Win a title and come back to me ok.

Sakara=Excitement
02-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Cyborg would donkey kong this girl.

dan the man 67
02-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Obviously it is

Why is it obvious? She could very well be a genuinely bitter and negative person with no happiness in her life.

Supe
02-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Why is it obvious? She could very well be a genuinely bitter and negative person with no happiness in her life.

Arent they all friend.

Pasha K
02-08-2012, 10:24 PM

In almost all the cases, the trash talk is just a strategy to attract fans.
Ronda said herself that she talks shit because she wants WMMA to be more popular.

0mega1
02-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Arent they all friend.

:laughing4::valh2:

Sakara=Excitement
02-08-2012, 10:28 PM
In almost all the cases, the trash talk is just a strategy to attract fans.
Ronda said herself that she talks shit because she wants WMMA to be more popular.

So it's all good when she does it but you go fucking flippitdy your shit when Chael does it even when she's said multiple times she's doing it just like Chael?

Hypocrite much?

Masscore
02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Female Chael.
SHUT UP!!!

At least Sonnen has done something with his career. He didn't start talking shit until he beat 3 Top 10 MWs (Filho, Okami and Marquadt). Rousey has barely won 4 fights and is talking like she is the next big thing in all of MMA.

I do not mind trash talk from fighters who have a proven career. She right now is far from a proven fighter.

Pasha K
02-08-2012, 11:25 PM
So it's all good when she does it but you go fucking flippitdy your shit when Chael does it even when she's said multiple times she's doing it just like Chael?

Hypocrite much?

Fortunately I stopped taking seriously anything Chael says.

TheKidInside
02-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Honestly that was a raw ass interview and I respect her way more now.

QFT

mma #1 fan
02-09-2012, 01:17 AM
"this girl" is a world class athlete. her jitz and judo is gonna give Miesha's wrestling fits. Someone might shut her up one day, but I don't think it will be Miesha. Bad matchup for her, IMO.

well lets see what happens say 3 min in to the fight you know deep water for Ronda. I think Ronda will be learning a lesson in this fight.

SwordofAres
02-09-2012, 05:40 AM

We'll see about that.

The8thPlague
02-09-2012, 09:23 AM
At least Sonnen has done something with his career. He didn't start talking shit until he beat 3 Top 10 MWs (Filho, Okami and Marquadt). Rousey has barely won 4 fights and is talking like she is the next big thing in all of MMA.

I do not mind trash talk from fighters who have a proven career. She right now is far from a proven fighter.

All very true.

lwbrewer
03-04-2012, 07:58 PM
This was fun to read a month later all the talk from everybody, and the result last night of her subing Tate for the title. I can't say I wouldn't of been talking the same smack to back then, as luck would have it I didn't see it to be involved.lol.
Being a world class athlete in Judo and the fact womens MMA is in it's raw stages. She got away with it and may do so for awhile since Cyborg went hot. Of course I really didn't think of Cyborg as a female.

TheKidInside
03-06-2012, 05:55 PM
I was so hoping she'd lose...but it's OK...Sarah Kaufman is gonna beat the living piss out of her

0mega1
03-06-2012, 06:06 PM
I was so hoping she'd lose...but it's OK...Sarah Kaufman is gonna get subbed in the first round

* Fixed that for you.

disposableassassin
03-06-2012, 06:26 PM
kaufman s good but i doubt she will be able to keep from getting tossed around and subbed the same as everyone else.

JustScrap
03-15-2012, 08:41 AM
She don't give a damn about her bad reputation :)

roaddawg
03-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Kaufman couldn't handle Tate's wrestling. Rousey went through Tate like a hot knife through butter. What are the chances Kaufman can beat Rousey?

Yet another shining example of effective MMA math that will be brought to light. I'm convinced the only two women that can beat Rousey is a focused Gina Corrano and Cyborg and neither one of those fights are likely to come into fruition.

Rousey whom is quickly becoming the reincarnated female version of Chael Sonnen is gonna be around for awhile.