PDA

View Full Version : Din Thomas helps break up near riot

KevoOnTheRadio
02-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I was at an amateur MMA event this past Saturday. Rise of a Warrior 5. Good fights every time, and I've always enjoyed myself. I'm not sure the rules in other states, but in an amateur fight in Florida at least, you're not allowed to hit a grounded opponent in the head, and a knockdown results in an 8 second count.

Din Thomas was there, three piece suit style. Sitting cage side representing ATT, where the majority of the fighters competing that night train. My buddy's kid got a picture with him, he talked to us for a bit. Basically, Din Thomas is just as cool as you'd always thought Din Thomas would be. Also, there was former UFC fighter and TUF Season 4 alum Charles "Chainsaw" McCarthy. He's retired now, but trains fighters. I'm not sure out of what camp, might be ATT as well.

About half way through the card Andrew Schoenfield fought Mike Marhje. Good first round. In the second round Schoenfield hit Marhje with a knee as Marhje was getting to his feet. Marhje felt his hand was down and it was an illegal blow. It was awful close, but without replay hard to determine. Marhje turned his head and pointed at the ref to complain. Well Schoenfield seized the opportunity and connected with a quick one two combination. Marhje was stunned and they clinched against the cage.

A few seconds later after some scrambling Schoenfield was put on his back. Not sure if he was taken down or knocked down. Marhje got on top of him and immediately started raining down blows to the head. Obviously illegal, the ref tried to intervene. Marhje shrugged him off and kept pummeling Schoenfield even after the ref tried to stop it. So Charles McCarthy jumped over the cage and tackled Marhje off of a near unconscious Schoenfield. At that point they started wrestling around. Not sure if there were punches thrown or McCarthy was trying to keep Marhje on his back. Hard to tell from my vantage point.

Now this was taking place right in front of Din Thomas. Apparently he didn't like what he saw. In a flash, he jumped onto the cageside table he was sitting at, climbed over the fence like a dressed up Spiderman, and broke it up. Bell ringing, pure chaos. The entire place was ready to break out into a riot. Remember, these are local amateur fighters. Lots of their family and friends in attendance.

The MC of the event, a local radio douche DJ, got on the mic to calm everybody down. Worked a little bit, they cleared the cage and announced Schoenfield won by DQ. Now instead of moving on to the next fight, they bring in McCarthy to get his take on what happened. He started explaining his point of view, and then stopped. Apparently he didn't like what some of the fans were screaming to him. He takes the mic, climbs up onto the cage and starts threatening at everyone! "Fuck you motherfuckers! I'll meet you in the parking lot and fight everyone of you fucks. There's not a mother fucker in this building that could beat me! I'll fuck all of you up!". Real classy stuff.

Finally the head promoter got into the cage and calmed everything down. The next fighter came out, and order was restored. Crazy stuff. I thought you guys would get a kick out of it. Figured NJ City was a good place for this article, but feel free to move it mods.

TheKidInside
02-14-2012, 12:02 PM
great story bro!

Cat--Smasher
02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I hope we get to see some of that pop up on Youtube.

KevoOnTheRadio
02-14-2012, 12:31 PM
I left my damn cell phone in the truck, or I would have video proof

KevoOnTheRadio
02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Charles McCarthy issues a statement...

This past Saturday an unfortunate incident occured in the cage involving one of my students, Andrew Schoenfeld. During his bout I felt that his opponent was taking liberties with him and rushed in to protect him. After this happened I was given the opportunity to speak and while still emotionally charged from what had happened only a few moments earlier, made some comments to certain members of the audience which I immediately regretted. I am taking this opportunity to apologize to all of Rise of a Warrior’s fans for my behavior and want to assure all of you that it will not happen again. I look forward to having a long relationship with Rise of a Warrior and bringing more of my students to compete for one of the best amateur mixed martial arts promotions in the United States.

http://riseofawarrior.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/431723_345544392142839_300675309963081_1092012_186 232483_n-600x375.jpg