PDA

View Full Version : Lose Weight or Gain Mass First?

icedout921
01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Ight I am currently 5"9 175 having been weight training hard for the past two months. Ive gained alot of muscle and still happened to trim off 10 pounds.

However at the moment I still have a bit of a gut which makes the little progress I have not really show. I want to lose my gut but still want to get bigger. I read on another forum that you need to gain bulk and muscle mass first than burn it off.

So what do you guys think?

Clint
01-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Hmm it depends but in general it is easier to gain muscle and then burn fat since the extra muscle will burn calories. The key though is to gain muscle without gaining excess fat in the process. So you want to eat plenty but do so while eating a clean diet.

Geronimo
01-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Typically while youre bulking up the fat will be naturally burned off.
If you keep gaining fat then your not training properly

dudefella
01-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Typically while youre bulking up the fat will be naturally burned off.
If you keep gaining fat then your not training properly
Not necessarily true... if you keep gaining fat, it's more likely that you're not eating properly.

icedout921
01-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Well I know you have to eat right but Im hearing to gain mass you have to eat every 2 hrs. Im just worried that will cause me to gain more fat which I do not want.

Clint
01-27-2007, 09:03 PM
It's entirely possible to gain muscle without fat. It's just a somewhat slow process. Increase you calories untill you start gaining muscle but if you start gaining fat as well cut them back down. Adjust every two weeks until everything is working the way you want. The best thing to do first is start a food journal and write down everything you eat and the calories.

KENO5366
01-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Not necessarily true... if you keep gaining fat, it's more likely that you're not eating properly.

Thats me right there. lol Im gaining both at the same time. I plan on adding winter weight and then burn it off for the summer.