PDA

View Full Version : 15 rounds

thefirm0
02-23-2012, 06:59 AM
I was reading about ali's career today on wikipedia and i realized these guys go for 15 rounds, I'm not a boxing fan, I havent watch a boxing match since rocky V, how long are their rounds? id be in awe if i found out they beat on each other for an hour in one fight.

Xtremo
02-23-2012, 07:41 AM
that is the most trollest thing ive ever read, but if ur serious, they usually go 12 rounds for 3 mins a piece. :)

KevoOnTheRadio
02-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Title fights used to be 15 rounds, but they capped it after the Mancini/Kim fight in '82.

Mancini's first defense, against former world champion Ernesto Espaņa, went smoothly with a Mancini knockout win in the 6th round.
His next defense would change both his life and the face of boxing: On November 13, 1982, a 21-year-old Mancini met 23-year-old South Korean challenger Duk Koo Kim. Kim had to go through the process of losing several pounds immediately before the fight to make the weight. The title bout, at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, was televised live at 1pm PST on CBS Sports, and by fight time Kim was spent.[citation needed] It was, according to many observers, a fight filled with action, but Mancini had an easy time hitting Kim during the 14 rounds the fight lasted. Kim suffered brain injuries that led to his death five days later.[5] The week after his death, the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine showed Mancini and Kim battling, under the title "Tragedy In The Ring".
Mancini went to the funeral in South Korea, but he fell into a deep depression afterwards.[3] He has said that the hardest moments came when people approached him and asked if he was the boxer who "killed" Duk Koo Kim. Mancini went through a period of reflection, as he blamed himself for Kim's death. In addition, Kim's mother committed suicide four months after the fight, and the bout's referee, Richard Green, killed himself in July 1983.[6]
As a result of this bout, the WBC took steps to shorten its title bouts to a maximum of 12 rounds. The WBA and WBO followed in 1988, and the IBF in 1989.[6]

disposableassassin
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
holy shit that is a crazy story. three deaths because of a 15 rd fight.

thefirm0
02-23-2012, 07:08 PM
that is the most trollest thing ive ever read, but if ur serious, they usually go 12 rounds for 3 mins a piece. :)

haha no really it said ali and frazier went 15 rounds twice, i was just wondering how long those rounds were, i know they dont go that long now, i knew it was 12 rounds but i thought it may have been 5 min round in which case the fight would have taken over an hour.

beau420
02-24-2012, 07:14 AM
haha no really it said ali and frazier went 15 rounds twice, i was just wondering how long those rounds were, i know they dont go that long now, i knew it was 12 rounds but i thought it may have been 5 min round in which case the fight would have taken over an hour.

Youtube is your friend:

Ali vs. Frazier 1971 - rare NBC show!! (part 1 of 4) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmcsXB-fOw0)

They even have fights from the early 1900s. Jack Johnson at his best....with racist commentary.

Check Jack Johnson vs Jess Willard...ended with a KO in the 26th round.

Always 3 minutes....since like late 1800s.

Wicked read on the rules of boxing:

Boxing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing)

All the different rules and how they came to be

Sniggles
03-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Title fights used to be 15 rounds, but they capped it after the Mancini/Kim fight in '82.

http://www.denisesisko.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/TheMoreYouKnow.gif

Thanks. I never knew that.

:pimpdaddy:

Spyke
03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah, and waaaaaaay back in the day there were actually no round limits. Naturally, as skill levels go up, regulations increase.

Also, boxers used to have to weigh-in on the morning of the fight...that was changed with the Ali act (I think). It was supposed to give the combatants time to restore their bodies before the match.

I sure wouldn't mind if top-tier title matches would go back to 15 rounds, though.