PDA

View Full Version : Vitali to return to Boxing!

JimmyMoore
01-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Path paved for Vitali return!
Former champion approved for title shot against Maskaev!
By Matt Richardson
FightNews has confirmed that former WBC champion Vitali Klitschko has been OK'd to emerge from retirement for a tentative April bout against WBC champion Oleg Maskaev. Klitschko (35-2, 34 KOs) abruptly retired in the fall of 2005 after suffering a knee injury which forced a third delay with then-interim champion Hasim Rahman.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While nothing is signed, negotiations between the two camps are continuing and look promising. Maskaev and his team had originally been in negotiations for a unification bout against Vitali’s younger brother, IBF champion Wladimir. Wladimir suddenly decided to fulfill his mandatory defense against Ray Austin on March 10. Maskaev (34-5, 27 KOs) also had a mandatory defense of his own due against WBC #1 ranked Samuel Peter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the rules of the WBC, Klitschko is allowed a title opportunity due to his status as a former champion. WBC Rule 1.21 concerning championship defense obligations outlines that a champion must defend their title “either in a voluntary or mandatory defense” against a variety of potential opponents, which includes “former or retired world champion (upon majority vote of the Board of Governors)." FightNews has learned that the WBC Board of Governors has approved a title shot for Klitschko against Maskaev.
While the “Nigerian Nightmare” - who paid for two sanctioning fees for WBC eliminators in his bouts against James Toney - will undoubtedly be displeased by the actions of the WBC, there is no legal action the fighter or his promoter can take as the WBC rules allow this situation. Due to this rule, Peter will not receive any “step aside” compensation although the WBC will most likely mandate that the winner of Maskaev-Klitschko face him next.

billbrasky
01-24-2007, 06:31 PM
The Wbc is such a joke...I really cant stand these fuckin sactioning bodies anymore theyre ruining the sport. yea im glad that vitali is back because it brings another live body to a division that is in the toilet, but sam peter earned a title shot by beating toney twice. Maskaev has been trying to duck him by first trying to fight wladamir and now vitali. Maskaec should have to defend against peter and then the winner gets vitali.

JimmyMoore
01-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah, it really is bullshit the way they've treated Peter.

Matt Boone
01-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Hope it's legit, Vitali back = good.

JimmyMoore
01-24-2007, 08:59 PM
UPDATE:

Former WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko released the following statement in regards to his comeback:

“I’ve been back in the gym for a couple of weeks and I feel great. My injuries have healed and after much hard work and with the approval of the doctors, I am cleared to continue my boxing career.

“I am returning to the ring to get my WBC heavyweight championship back. In November 2005, due to a serious knee injury, I retired without having lost the WBC belt in the ring. At the WBC gala event on December 20, 2005 in Cancun, Mexico, the WBC designated me as “WBC Champion Emeritus” and assured me that whenever I was ready to return, I would become the immediate mandatory challenger for the title.

“I’m back and I have requested that the WBC sanction a bout between me and Oleg Maskaev. I look forward to reclaiming my title, and want to thank everyone who has been so supportive during my short retirement from the ring.

“I look forward to seeing us all together soon and I am also excited about having the opportunity to fulfill the dreams of the Klitschko brothers being heavyweight champions at the same time!

Vitali Klitschko

Luis Cruz
01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
The Wbc is such a joke...I really cant stand these fuckin sactioning bodies anymore theyre ruining the sport. yea im glad that vitali is back because it brings another live body to a division that is in the toilet, but sam peter earned a title shot by beating toney twice. Maskaev has been trying to duck him by first trying to fight wladamir and now vitali. Maskaec should have to defend against peter and then the winner gets vitali.

I 100% agree. Peter issued a couple statements about it and he's PISSED. The first thing they did was put him in a rematch he should by no means should have had to be in. Now this?? There's really no one behind Peter waiting so why not wait until AFTER he beats Oleg?? The WBC is bullshit, the hell with them. I hope Peter beats them both into retirement back to back and then throws the title in the garbage. Vitali's being an ass for pulling this too. He should show a little damn respect for the guy fighting for his shot and wait another few months or take a warm up bout to knock some rust off while these two fight. This is the shit that makes people shit on boxing, it's a joke and shouldn't be happening.

Dork8503
01-24-2007, 09:56 PM
yeah it is a joke but its also for money, peter cant sell like vitiali can, and i agree again its total bullshit but i have a feeling its all about money, but i feel that he should have had a warm up match first then beat the shit out peter after he beat oleg, im sorry but vitali is alot better then wlad and wlad beat peter, vitali is faster and hits harder so it dont really matter peter isnt going to be champion any time soon, which again angers me because i like peter so he should have at least got to face oleg first so he could be champ, maybe now he can fight the 7' guy or shannon briggs both of whom i dont like. i wish there was somthing that peter could do because this is bullshit, the rematch with james then this, i mean the first fight was close but should have fought for the title then had a match with james but what the fuck. Im just glad Vitali is back but he came back the wrong way

Luis Cruz
01-24-2007, 11:11 PM
yeah it is a joke but its also for money, peter cant sell like vitiali can, and i agree again its total bullshit but i have a feeling its all about money, but i feel that he should have had a warm up match first then beat the shit out peter after he beat oleg, im sorry but vitali is alot better then wlad and wlad beat peter, vitali is faster and hits harder so it dont really matter peter isnt going to be champion any time soon, which again angers me because i like peter so he should have at least got to face oleg first so he could be champ, maybe now he can fight the 7' guy or shannon briggs both of whom i dont like. i wish there was somthing that peter could do because this is bullshit, the rematch with james then this, i mean the first fight was close but should have fought for the title then had a match with james but what the fuck. Im just glad Vitali is back but he came back the wrong way

Don't compare the Peter of then with the Peter of now, it's two totally different fighters. Wlad is also different. I wouldn't say Vitali hits harder they seem to be about the same with that. Same for speed. And Wlad is also a lot better now with Manny so i wouldn't say Vitali is that much better than him anymore, he's been active Vitali hasn't that could even them up now, unless Vitali stays active. I always thought he was ducking Rahman anyways. The way he hurt his leg the first time just sounded like a complete bullshit story. I hope Peter gets a fight with Wlad next after he beats Austin and takes the title from him just to squash their dreams. I too am glad Vitali is back because it gives the division more life but he's pulling some bitch shit on Peter thus i will root for Peter to dismantle all of them. :afro:

Dork8503
01-25-2007, 01:10 AM
i had a complete brain fart about Vitali, he has been out for 2 years he is going to have some ring rust, but the thing is he has a more solid chin then his brother, yes peter showed some great improvements in his last fight but i still dont think he can beat vitali, well thats only if vitali goes back to his former self, and i dont think he can beat wlad either. Although peter showed alot more movement and better combos in his last fight which if he used it against wlad could put him down, but i still think the reach and jab will still be to much for peter. This time i believe when they fight wlad wont hesitate to knock him out, when he had peter rocked he didnt jump on him to finish. This time i think it will be much more different. Peter couldnt finish him in the first fight just kept knocking him down, i dont think peter hits and harder just a smarter fighter then before. Outcome of the fight is ko by wlad

Luis Cruz
01-25-2007, 02:02 AM
i had a complete brain fart about Vitali, he has been out for 2 years he is going to have some ring rust, but the thing is he has a more solid chin then his brother, yes peter showed some great improvements in his last fight but i still dont think he can beat vitali, well thats only if vitali goes back to his former self, and i dont think he can beat wlad either. Although peter showed alot more movement and better combos in his last fight which if he used it against wlad could put him down, but i still think the reach and jab will still be to much for peter. This time i believe when they fight wlad wont hesitate to knock him out, when he had peter rocked he didnt jump on him to finish. This time i think it will be much more different. Peter couldnt finish him in the first fight just kept knocking him down, i dont think peter hits and harder just a smarter fighter then before. Outcome of the fight is ko by wlad

Nah cause Wlad is the same fighter he was back then, Manny was already there. Peter didn't finish him because he wasn't as disciplined as he is now. Wlad was too scared to finish him and because of his weak chin he'll still carry that fear of getting ko'd cause he's already felt Peter's power. Peter fighting someone with the boxing skill of Toney will help him a great deal in the experience factor because no other Heavyweight even comes close in terms of actual boxing skill next to Toney, so no one will throw anything at Peter that would overwhelm him. Wlad hit him with his absolute best shot in round 11 when Peter was gassed like hell (which probably contributed to him getting rocked) and still couldn't even knock him down let alone knock him out. A better conditioned, experienced, and boxer Peter is a very bad matchup for the glass jawed Wlad. Vitali does have a much better chin you're right and that could definately cause for some problems for Peter if Vitali comes back like he never lost a step. But i feel Peter can knockout any of the Heavyweights fighting today and i won't bet against him anytime soon.

Dork8503
01-25-2007, 03:24 AM
i can agree with that, wlad will carry that fear of the weak chin around, but i think the fight will pretty much be the same thing but with one of them getting ko'ed, wlad is still young and still learning. i wont diss on peters skills because he does have them. He will be champ but i just dont see him beating vitali unless he comes back like shit. With Wlad i can see that because of the chin but like i said i dont see him punching any harder then he did in the first fight so i just dont think he will knock him out, its very likely he can because peter hits harder then the guys that have knocked him out before, so would i bet against him in this fight no i wouldnt because that would just be stupid. Probally caught up in the fact that i like both of the brothers more so its clouding my judgement.

JimmyMoore
01-25-2007, 05:32 PM
OPEN LETTER FROM DUVA TO VITALI:

Vitali,

First of all, if you have a desire to come back to the ring, we welcome you.
However, do not think that we will stand by and allow you, the cowardly champion Maskaev, or anyone else involved, to interfere with Samuel Peter’s right to fight for the WBC Heavyweight Championship.
You can try all the propaganda you want, but it’s not going to work. The boxing media, fans and public are too smart for that. Everyone universally recognizes Samuel Peter’s right to fight for the WBC Heavyweight Championship.
I have always had a great deal of respect for you as a fighter and a person. If you are the man that I think you are and that you claim to be, you will understand and respect Samuel Peter’s right to fight Oleg Maskaev. Hopefully you, Maskaev, the WBC and all other associated parties will do the right thing and honor Sam Peter’s mandatory.
We welcome a fight against you for all the marbles after Samuel knocks Maskaev out. In fact, I’m even willing to sit down with you and your representatives right now and negotiate a deal for when that time comes. However, if you, and all associated with this, continue to attempt to interfere with Samuel Peter’s rights, an even bigger and more expensive fight will occur outside the ring and in the public arena.
I am urging you and everyone else to do the right thing.

Sincerely,

Dino Duva

Dork8503
01-25-2007, 08:53 PM
i dont think there is anything they can do to Vitali because its not his choice well it is but its the boxing com that over sees everything, as much as i like Vitali i think he should fight someone like toney or someone else to get the ring rust off, then fight for a title. I feel peter is being fucked out of this fight he earned it not once but twice. Let peter beat oleg then those 2 can fight.

Punk Ass
01-26-2007, 01:33 PM
i dont think there is anything they can do to Vitali because its not his choice well it is but its the boxing com that over sees everything, as much as i like Vitali i think he should fight someone like toney or someone else to get the ring rust off, then fight for a title. I feel peter is being fucked out of this fight he earned it not once but twice. Let peter beat oleg then those 2 can fight.

Agreed!

Also, Peter has improved after fighting Toney. A Peter Vitali Fight will be a toss up. Besides Lennox Lewis Peter will be the best fighter he's fought. With that said I still can't bet against Manny Steward.

Dork8503
01-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Harlem, Do you know if Vitali is going to be trainning with him too.

Jones
02-01-2007, 02:01 AM

Peter can't sell like Vitali can? I don't know about that. Vitali's first title defense against Williams on PPV garnered less than 50K PPV buys which was a big time box office bomb for HBO.
Vitali also seems like an opportunist. If you closely examine his boxing career and personal issues from late 2004 onward, you'll notice something very peculiar about the way he was doing things leading up to his 'retirement' 2 years ago.

Jones
02-01-2007, 02:03 AM

Peter paid over $50,000 in sanctioning fees. The WBC like every sanctioning body is completely corrupt.

Jones
02-01-2007, 02:06 AM
Hope it's legit, Vitali back = good.

Vitali coming back, getting injured like he always does and fighting once per year = bad. Almost age 36, he's got very little time left.

JimmyMoore
02-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Lennox Lewis comeback?
Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis is reportedly considering coming out of retirement for a world championship rematch with Vitali Klitschko. The bout could take place at the newly contructed Wembley Stadium in late September and early November and purses in the $25 million range are being mentioned. Promoter Bob Arum told the Daily Mail, "No matter how often a boxer says he will never come back, the money always talks louder in the end if the offer is big enough. I am told Lennox is back in the gym and this is an enormous fight in the making." For Lewis-Klitschko II to take place, Vitali would have to first defeat WBC champ Oleg Maskaev. WBC president Jose Sulaiman said Lewis would be granted "champion emeritus" status, which according to WBC rules could give Lewis an immediate shot at the title, bypassing hard luck mandatory challenger Sam Peter yet again. Peter has won two WBC eliminators and his handlers are currently mulling over a $2.5 million step-aside offer for Klitschko-Peter to take place. Arbitration on that matter could be next.

This sounds extremely speculative at this point, but if it goes down like this, Samuel Peter could get fucked worse than any athlete ever. I would love to see a Lewis/Vitali rematch, but Peter would be completely justified in burning the fucking building to the ground if it happened.

Punk Ass
02-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Lennox Lewis comeback?
Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis is reportedly considering coming out of retirement for a world championship rematch with Vitali Klitschko. The bout could take place at the newly contructed Wembley Stadium in late September and early November and purses in the $25 million range are being mentioned. Promoter Bob Arum told the Daily Mail, "No matter how often a boxer says he will never come back, the money always talks louder in the end if the offer is big enough. I am told Lennox is back in the gym and this is an enormous fight in the making." For Lewis-Klitschko II to take place, Vitali would have to first defeat WBC champ Oleg Maskaev. WBC president Jose Sulaiman said Lewis would be granted "champion emeritus" status, which according to WBC rules could give Lewis an immediate shot at the title, bypassing hard luck mandatory challenger Sam Peter yet again. Peter has won two WBC eliminators and his handlers are currently mulling over a $2.5 million step-aside offer for Klitschko-Peter to take place. Arbitration on that matter could be next.

This sounds extremely speculative at this point, but if it goes down like this, Samuel Peter could get fucked worse than any athlete ever. I would love to see a Lewis/Vitali rematch, but Peter would be completely justified in burning the fucking building to the ground if it happened.

Nice! Shows you how much they are warriors. 2 of the most dominant H@W of our time coming back to give us a hell of a show. One of the biggest fights of the year.

Punk Ass
02-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Harlem, Do you know if Vitali is going to be trainning with him too.

Yes, both brothers train with steward.

Dork8503
02-24-2007, 11:09 PM
thats cool, thanks for the info, i dont know if vitali trained with him before, i kinda think he didnt, but look how much he helped wlad improve i thinkhe could help vitali, i know vitali is getting up there in age but with his help i think he could greatly improve vitali

Punk Ass
02-25-2007, 01:25 AM
thats cool, thanks for the info, i dont know if vitali trained with him before, i kinda think he didnt, but look how much he helped wlad improve i thinkhe could help vitali, i know vitali is getting up there in age but with his help i think he could greatly improve vitali

He trained Vitali also before he retired in his last couple on fights. Of course after Lewis.