PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Josh Koscheck vs BJ Penn

trustkill
05-17-2012, 08:00 AM
From Koscheck's Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/JoshKoscheck/status/202984574307938304

Josh Koscheck
‏@JoshKoscheck

#UFC just offered me to fight BJ Penn...I said YES!!!!! Just waiting on him!!!!!! Let's scrap bra?

Cat--Smasher
05-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Fuck I hope BJ takes the fight and pulls off a sick sub on Kos,,, But I see it more as Kos holding BJ down for round 1, eye poke in round to allows Kos to land some shots and then more holding down in round 3 for the decision. BJ announces his retirement yet again.

trustkill
05-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Is Koscheck violating a gentleman's agreement not to disclose the names of fighters who (potentially) decline fights. Clearly Kos wants the fight, and he's using the public tactics to put pressure on BJ into accepting.

Is this cool or not cool? What say you, MMA community?

The Donosaur
05-17-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm cool with it. A win over penn would be a big highlight for kos. If bj denies him the chance he should be allowed to share that info if he chooses to. I also wouldn't complain if bj turned it down & said kos hasn't accomplished enough to fight him.

deeznizzies
05-17-2012, 10:33 AM
bj is gonna jab kos to death! this is a great fight for penn.. if he loses, it's because kos dry humped him and was afraid to stand with a smaller man. i think this is a win win for penn. puts him back into the top 5-7 ww's with a win...

The Donosaur
05-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Losing because you can't stop the takedown is called poor takedown defense. It is not "dry humping". Also i'm sick of this smaller guy crap that bj gets a pass for. If they fight they will be at 170 each. He has the option of fighting at a lower class.

MIZjitsZOU
05-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Losing because you can't stop the takedown is called poor takedown defense. It is not "dry humping". Also i'm sick of this smaller guy crap that bj gets a pass for. If they fight they will be at 170 each. He has the option of fighting at a lower class.

I don't disagree with all that you are saying, but if they fight they will not both be at 170, unless you mean the day before at the weigh ins. This is a bad match up (IMO) for BJ. I would love to see him take on Demain Maia, or someone who is not a super strong wrestler. Rematch with Diaz would be nice. BJ is tough, but he is not a grinder, and does poorly (IMO) against grinders.

The Donosaur
05-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Yes sir i meant weigh-ins. Bj is making the choice to fight at 170. There are other options present, & he picked 170. You said you'd like to see him face a wrestler, but most of the top guys at 170 are wrestlers. I doubt bj would take a step down.

The Donosaur
05-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I meant you'd like to see him face a non-elite wrestler. Sorry man i just got off work i'm super tired. Any ways i think bj probably would turn down a fight with mia.

dbader08
05-17-2012, 03:37 PM
If Penn actually comes in in really good shape, I think he takes Kos by UD or early tko...but he usually shows up with a little pudge which you can't be doing against someone like Kos.

Kimbo> Rampage
05-17-2012, 03:40 PM
That would be a good fight. BJ has excellent TDD, one of the best ever. However Josh has the 2nd best takedowns at WW, no questions. His explosive double leg is second only to GSP. The only gut to take GSP down, and he did it in both fights.

I hope Kos tries to stand with BJ and gets clowned. He will most likely take the wrestlers gameplan. I have always said that Kos was better than somebody like Fitch, but the one area I questioned if he was better, was his sub defense. If he has that level of sub defense, he should get the UD. but BJ is a beast on the ground.

lwbrewer
05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
If Penn actually comes in in really good shape, I think he takes Kos by UD or early tko...but he usually shows up with a little pudge which you can't be doing against someone like Kos.

The pudge part for BJ wouldn't necessary mean he wasn't in shape. Yes BJ has showed up before not properly prepared, but his small frame he doesn't have to diet hard to make weight. Only point I'm trying to make is you don't have to be riped to be in shape.

Kimbo> Rampage
05-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Yes fighting at WW is too easy for BJ. So he can have some extra fat. 155 is where he should be, but doesnt want to have to diet and cut at his age, so let him fight at WW. Early in his career he would have actually made FW easily imo.

initial_zen
05-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Kos gameplan will be to hold him against the fence for a couple rounds and then go for a takedown when bj gets tired.. If bj does take the fight, i hope he trains hard for it and comes back in top form.. I don't want to see a half ass penn, I want to see him with the fire back.

Y2JUBAE
05-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Wonder if BJ will target that eye lol.

Flynnja
05-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Is Josh Koscheck the Fighter to Pull BJ Penn Back into the UFC Octagon? (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/josh-koscheck-fighter-pull-bj-053255443--mma.html)

Following his last fight, a loss to Nick Diaz at UFC 137 late last year, B.J. Penn all but signed his retirement papers.

Ive got a daughter, another daughter on the way, I dont want to go home looking like this. Im done, he said before he walked out of the Octagon, his face battered and bruised.

Penn has since waffled on whether or not he is truly done, saying hes enjoying life as a retired fighter, but falling short of saying that he would never return.

UFC president Dana White and matchmaker Joe Silva, however, are working their magic, trying to make it as difficult as possible for Penn to walk away for good. Knowing it is going to take more than just a typical fight to light a fire in the Hawaiian, they are dangling rather large carrots in front of him.

Having already tried to talk Penn into a fight against Gilbert Melendez for the Strikeforce lightweight title an offer he declined it now appears that a bout with Josh Koscheck is in the offing.

UFC just offered me to fight BJ PennI said YES!!!!! Koscheck wrote on his official Twitter account on Wednesday night. Just waiting on him!!!!!! Let's scrap bra?

There was no immediate response from Penn, who has been rather calculated of late. He put a lot of thought, together with his team, into the Melendez offer prior to turning it down. Hes likely to do the same with any offer to fight Koscheck.

Odd person to be offered Penn for his return.

rivethead
05-17-2012, 10:23 PM
It would be hilarious if Penn started training with Georges to prepare for Kos.

Any ways i think bj probably would turn down a fight with mia.

mia, like the singer?

I can't imagine why Penn would turn down a fight with Maia. He's never been one to turn down fights to my knowledge.

rh

Flynnja
05-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Searched turned up nothing, then I see the other topic ofcourse. Remove please. My bad.

mmawolverine
05-17-2012, 10:30 PM
id rather see him a 155 but if he does in fact face kos i think bj has the potential to gain alot more fans by finishing koschek, sakara=e would you back penn in this fight?
if i was zuffa i would throw mucho dinero and other incentives for bj to go down to 155 or even 145

K1NG P3NN
05-17-2012, 10:43 PM
If this fight happens, then I think BJ will beat Kos up. Because Kos doesn't seem to use his wrestling anymore, and in a stand-up battle, gotta give it to BJ. Although I think Kos is trying to goad Penn into fighting him, which might not work. Interesting to see though. BJ NEEDS to move back to 155 IMO he is the best that he can be there.

Xtremo
05-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Is Koscheck violating a gentleman's agreement not to disclose the names of fighters who (potentially) decline fights. Clearly Kos wants the fight, and he's using the public tactics to put pressure on BJ into accepting.

Is this cool or not cool? What say you, MMA community?

Well, it is Koscheck we are talking about here. It's a pretty smart idea though if he really really wants to fight him.

I personally think Koscheck will go and trade with him on the feet, but in doing so, he will go ahead and lose via UD and another eye shut...

rivethead
05-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Penn has stated that he's staying retired.

rh

Masscore
05-17-2012, 11:46 PM
This is a fight I have wanted to see for a long time and I am glad it is finally happening.

I think Koscheck takes this via decision. BJ Penn will win the first round but Koscheck will use his size to eventually wear Penn down and win rounds 2 and 3. Should be a pretty epic clash.

Xtremo
05-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Whats the name of the guy that tossed nate around like a rag doll? I wanna see him take on kosheck instead.

Bearded Big Country
05-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Whats the name of the guy that tossed nate around like a rag doll? I wanna see him take on kosheck instead.

Rory MacDonald! :D

kingrobert
05-18-2012, 01:04 AM
I really want to see Bj fight again but not at 170. Im tired of seeing him loose to bigger stronger guys. I admire Bj hart but unless he wants to retire again he needs to fight at 155. Kos can take Bj down and hold him there all fight. Kos also never gets tired witch is a huge problem for Bj. Bj hasnt really had a decent win at 170 for a long time. He beat and over the hill Hughes and got a tie against Fitch.

Bj could make another run at 155 IMO. I dont think he could win more than 2 in a row at 170.

Sakara=Excitement
05-18-2012, 01:38 AM
B.J. Penn Declines Fight with Josh Koscheck: 'I'm Not Coming Back Anytime Soon' | MMAWeekly.com (http://www.mmaweekly.com/b-j-penn-declines-fight-with-josh-koscheck-im-not-coming-back-anytime-soon)

Thanks but no thanks.

On late Wednesday evening, UFC welterweight Josh Koscheck revealed that he had been offered a fight against former two-weight class champion B.J. Penn, and he immediately accepted.

At the time, Koscheck was still awaiting word back from Penn and his camp to if they would accept the fight.

On Thursday, Penn answered back and returned in form on Twitter stating that hes not ready to come back yet, and would not be facing Koscheck.

I know it costs a lot of money to live that lavish lifestyle, big house, fast cars, and you need big fights, but sorry Im not coming back anytime soon, wrote Penn when addressing Koscheck on the social networking site.

Penn has backed off his retirement statements of late, but it looks like whenever the UFC was asking him to step into the cage with Koscheck was sooner than he was ready to return.

The former welterweight and lightweight champion stepped away from the sport following a loss to Nick Diaz at UFC 137 last year, and since that time has kept his statements vague about returning to fighting.

Just recently, UFC President Dana White revealed that Penn would come back to the Octagon, but it looks like it wont be for the fight with Josh Koscheck.

When Penn will return and who its against will remain a mystery for now.

KevoOnTheRadio
05-18-2012, 01:45 AM
I know it costs a lot of money to live that lavish lifestyle, big house, fast cars, and you need big fights, but sorry I’m not coming back anytime soon

Haha stupid.

The Donosaur
05-18-2012, 03:42 AM
ha ha Rivethead cut me a break I had just gotten of work. Although i don't think he would take a fight against a female (i think i don't actually know mia is female) rapper. It would give him a reputation as a woman beater, and that would be horrible.