PDA

View Full Version : Dan Hardy slams "ignorant, calculated " Matt Hughes over hunting

Cat--Smasher
05-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Dan Hardy slams "ignorant, calculated " Matt Hughes over hunting
Dan Hardy slams "ignorant, calculated " Matt Hughes over hunting - Fighters Only (http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/16251-dan-hardy-slams-qignorant-calculated-q-matt-hughes-over-hunting)

Dan Hardy is not a fan of hunting or hunters - at least, not the recreational kind.

And so he finds himself again condemning former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes, with the addition of former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

Hughes recently posted a photograph to his personal website in which he can be seen posing with the carcass of a large black bear he has killed. The photograph ignited debate on the MMA message boards and left Hardy sickened.

“I just can't agree with what he's doing, and I can't find any way for him to justify it. I'm sure there are ways that he's convinced himself that it's ok, but in my opinion, every human being innately has morals. They know what's right and wrong, and whether it's legal or not, it's the wrong thing to do. It's not illegal to sleep with your best friend's wife, but if you do it, you're an asshole,” he tells Bloody Elbow staffer Stephanie 'Crooklyn' Daniels.

“I don't think that humans are in any way elevated above the other species that are on the planet. For somebody to think it's ok to go out and shoot one of them, because it's not illegal, I just don't make the connection. If it's illegal to shoot human beings, it should be illegal to shoot animals, as well.

“Now, as far as hunting for food goes, that's a different thing. If I needed to kill an animal for food, I would. To go out there and shoot them for his own entertainment...I mean, he's not going out there and having bear sandwiches for lunch off his kill, that's for sure.

“The fact that he had to go out and find it tells me that it wasn't an over population issue. The same situation happened with the bobcat. He had to go in search for the damned thing before he could kill it. It's not like it was near his house. If he were standing next to it in his back yard, that might be a different situation, but I still wouldn't be proud of that.”

“Out of all the species, we're the only one that has evolved enough to have a set of morals and be able to co-exist with the other species, and people like Matt Hughes, reading from his bible, and interpreting however he wants, going out there and shooting animals for fun, it's just ignorant and calculated. I just can't agree with him,” he says.

“People say, 'Oh, you're just calling out an aging welterweight. He was the champion, and he's done more than you.' It's not about mixed martial arts. I don't like Brock Lesnar for his ethics on hunting, either. I'm not saying these things about Matt Hughes because I want to fight him.

“I mean, if the opportunity was there, I would, but it's a completely different subject. I respect him as a champion, but that doesn't mean he's not an asshole as a person. He's proven that he is.”

Pasha K
05-25-2012, 07:16 AM
He should be more worried about his next fight rather than what kind of person is Hughes.
Hardy is in a big losing streak and no one knows why he is still in the UFC.

Sakara=Excitement
05-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Wait...is this a new interview? Because he's been saying this shit for a long ass time now.

CtGreat
05-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I think hunting for "sport" is bullshit also. I believe if you kill something, then you should have to eat it and use as much of its carcas for resources as possible. Not just kill something and stuff it so it looks cool in your living room.

Cat--Smasher
05-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Wait...is this a new interview? Because he's been saying this shit for a long ass time now.

Hence why it was posted in noob jack city. Dan needs to get over his weird obsession with Hughes.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
05-25-2012, 08:10 AM
IMO, this is a smart move on Hardy's part to set up a future fight that is winnable for him and with a good showing against Ludwig, I could see the allure in a Hardy/Hughes "Grudge Match", this type of stuff draws heat and sells fights(remember Hardy/Davis?) and I think at this point in his career, Hardy needs a big win if he wants to stay relevant and Matt Hughes needs a win period if he wants to keep fighting, this type of shittalk will only stoke the ambers that'll make Hughes want to take the fight, which would mean a good payday for Dan.

Gamesmanship and clever positioning by Hardy and if Hughes takes the bait I think Hardy could even have himself another pseudo-big fight in the UFC.

The Donosaur
05-25-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm sure there is a catch & release joke to be made here. The punchline would be how hughes would catch hardy with takedowns for 15 minutes & then the ufc would release him. I am to lazy to think of the middle part though.

m1ckeykn0x
05-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Dan Hardy sounds like he has nightmares that he is a bobcat running through the woods while Matt Hughes on his tail with a shotgun.

FCK
05-25-2012, 02:23 PM
The guy makes a pretty valid point though.

Who ever thought that Bob Cat or Black Bear looked better dead standing over it, then spotting it in the wild in its natural territory. Hunting for fun is just sad and ignorant.

CRisCO
05-25-2012, 02:29 PM
“I don't think that humans are in any way elevated above the other species that are on the planet. For somebody to think it's ok to go out and shoot one of them, because it's not illegal, I just don't make the connection. If it's illegal to shoot human beings, it should be illegal to shoot animals, as well.

lol wut?

MIZjitsZOU
05-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I am an avid hunter who eats what he kills. To each their own concerning the choice to be pro hunting or anti hunting. I will continue to hunt until the day I die whether legal or illegal.

rivethead
05-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I am an avid hunter who eats what he kills. To each their own concerning the choice to be pro hunting or anti hunting. I will continue to hunt until the day I die whether legal or illegal.

People are also overlooking the population control issue: if left entirely unchecked, deer and bear populations can get overcrowded to the point where it's prone to starvation and disease.

rh

CtGreat
05-25-2012, 06:49 PM
People are also overlooking the population control issue: if left entirely unchecked, deer and bear populations can get overcrowded to the point where it's prone to starvation and disease.

rh

That's a legitimate issue, however hunting for sport will never sit right with me. Utilize what you kill to the fullest of your ability. Sell the meat, sell the hide, etc etc. Otherwise it's just wasteful

Sakara=Excitement
05-25-2012, 06:54 PM
The guy makes a pretty valid point though.

Who ever thought that Bob Cat or Black Bear looked better dead standing over it, then spotting it in the wild in its natural territory. Hunting for fun is just sad and ignorant.

Just because you dont agree with something doesn't make it sad and ignorant. That's classless and disrespectful.

CtGreat
05-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Just because you dont agree with something doesn't make it sad and ignorant. That's classless and disrespectful.

Things being sad and/or Ignorant are personal opinions, not objective facts. So to him it's sad and ignorant. Some view honor killings as sad and monstrous
, others view them as just/the right thing to do.

CRisCO
05-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Things being sad and/or Ignorant are personal opinions, not objective facts. So to him it's sad and ignorant. Some view honor killings as sad and monstrous
, others view them as just/the right thing to do.

You shouldn't state your opinions as fact then.

CtGreat
05-25-2012, 07:59 PM
You shouldn't state your opinions as fact then.

This is a discussion board, I feel like one really shouldn't have to state that their opinions are opinions; thats alittle redundant isn't it?

It's like saying, "in my opinion, green jelly beans taste better than red jellybeans." Green jelly being better than red jelly beans is obviously a personal preference so it would be unnecessary for one to say that it's their opinion.

Luc1an
05-25-2012, 08:06 PM
mmmm jellybeans. I personally dont agree with hunting either but to each his own. I say you should only be allowed to hunt with a knife and your bare hands! Its not fair when you sit ina tree with a high powered rifle! lol

CRisCO
05-25-2012, 08:11 PM
This is a discussion board, I feel like one really shouldn't have to state that their opinions are opinions; thats alittle redundant isn't it?

It's like saying, "in my opinion, green jelly beans taste better than red jellybeans." Green jelly being better than red jelly beans is obviously a personal preference so it would be unnecessary for one to say that it's their opinion.

Your right if your going to discuss which jelly bean tastes better. If your going to say "If you enjoy Red jelly beans you are ignorant and stupid" You sound like a fucking douche unless you add that it is in fact ONLY your opinion.

rivethead
05-25-2012, 08:26 PM
That's a legitimate issue, however hunting for sport will never sit right with me. Utilize what you kill to the fullest of your ability. Sell the meat, sell the hide, etc etc. Otherwise it's just wasteful

I'm not a fan of Hughes at all, but I'd be stunned if he pulled a lesnar and just left the carcass to rot. I'm pretty sure he'd use the meat and hide.

rh

CRisCO
05-25-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm not a fan of Hughes at all, but I'd be stunned if he pulled a lesnar and just left the carcass to rot. I'm pretty sure he'd use the meat and hide.

rh

Matt generally does. What he didn't use himself he would give away also. The bear is probably being stuffed for his massive shed he built not to long ago.

The Donosaur
05-28-2012, 07:37 AM
I live in West Virginia. I have hit 14 deer in my life. Try defending them after they have destroyed multiple vehicles of yours. I hate them so much.

Cat--Smasher
05-28-2012, 07:50 AM
I live in West Virginia. I have hit 14 deer in my life. Try defending them after they have destroyed multiple vehicles of yours. I hate them so much.

Holy fuck 14 deer? wow.

Deer are also pests in my area, I have to scan the yard before letting the dog out and they are often in my driveway / yard when I pull in... but I have lucky never hit one. A couple buddies have on the hwy.

Fuck I could literally reach out a window in my house and touch a deer at times its crazy. If I was not too much of a pussy to gut em, Id be eating and shooting deer with a bow at ease.

mmawolverine
05-28-2012, 09:40 AM
well perhaps we could give deer more options than just getting hit by cars and blown up by high powered rifles in the hands of sportsman, hunting as a way of survival vs hunting as a sport they both require varying degrees of respect and responsibility for the animal that has given its life unwillingly, but who is mr hardy to berate the hunting practices of hughes and lesnar isnt there a wildlife fish and game department better suited to these triflings

LukeSalvatore
05-29-2012, 02:37 AM
While I agree with Hardy's views on hunting, he should probably not say anything at all unless he's a vegetarian. An argument could be made that eating meat at all is done purely for the purpose of entertainment as it is no longer necessary for a person to eat meat whatsoever. One could criticize him for being an hypocrite as he is a meat eater himself.

MIZjitsZOU
05-29-2012, 06:01 AM
While I agree with Hardy's views on hunting, he should probably not say anything at all unless he's a vegetarian. An argument could be made that eating meat at all is done purely for the purpose of entertainment as it is no longer necessary for a person to eat meat whatsoever. One could criticize him for being an hypocrite as he is a meat eater himself.

Luke, why is it no longer necessary to eat meat? I come from farmers. Some people will raise animals, hunt, fish, grow crops until they die. Can you put your being in their shoes?

I have a two hundred years on the farm and native blood in my veins that will hunt till the day I die, maybe my kids won't, but I will. Why am I wrong.

CRisCO
05-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Speak for yourself.

Cat--Smasher
05-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Enter Jon Fitch.

Is Jon still vegan? If a fighter can go vegan, us average Joe's should have no problem.

With that said, I dont think I would ever go total vegan, too restrictive and most vegan's seem to have a feeling of superiority to them (well at least in the Westcoast where it is hip to be hippy)... I did almost majority vegetarian for a few years when I was living with an old GF who was a veggie. Not actually that bad once you learn some good recipes.. but I sure as fuck loved that one or two nights a week she was working and Id cook up a burger or steak.

CRisCO
05-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Enter Jon Fitch.

Is Jon still vegan? If a fighter can go vegan, us average Joe's should have no problem.

With that said, I dont think I would ever go total vegan, too restrictive and most vegan's seem to have a feeling of superiority to them (well at least in the Westcoast where it is hip to be hippy)... I did almost majority vegetarian for a few years when I was living with an old GF who was a veggie. Not actually that bad once you learn some good recipes.. but I sure as fuck loved that one or two nights a week she was working and Id cook up a burger or steak.

Meat is way to useful to abandon.

Bearded Big Country
05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I feel like the only reason Hardy brings up Hughes anymore is to try and get that big fight

Masscore
05-29-2012, 05:41 PM
1. I am pretty sure Hughes would beat Hardy.

2. I would rather see Hughes go out in a meaningful fight. Have him fight Serra one last time or Hallman to get some revenge. Hardy is a nobody who had a title shot gifted to him because the UFC has raging hard ons for British fighters.

rivethead
05-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Really, the only difference I've found between vegans and non-vegans is that non-vegans don't care what you eat.

Simple biological fact: if a mammals eyes face forward, they're genetically engineered to be a predator and eat meat. If their eyes are positioned to the sides of their head, they are not.

rh

LukeSalvatore
05-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Luke, why is it no longer necessary to eat meat? I come from farmers. Some people will raise animals, hunt, fish, grow crops until they die. Can you put your being in their shoes?

I have a two hundred years on the farm and native blood in my veins that will hunt till the day I die, maybe my kids won't, but I will. Why am I wrong.

I should have explained my comment more to give some context to what I was trying to say.

For a significant number of people living in advanced countries you would not need to eat meat in order to survive and be healthy. We do need protein and we do need a health of nutrients that are richly found in meat, however all of a persons essential nutrients can be taken from non-meat sources and/or supplements. It's a different way of life, and it definitely takes more effort, but eating meat for a lot of people is simply not a necessity as it was for our ancestors. We have access to food like beans throughout the seasons unlike our ancestors, we have access to a variety of vegetables and fruits that would not have all been available to our ancestors. So in this context, eating meat is not necessary, and one could argue that for a lot of people it is eaten only for entertainment, because it tastes good.

I eat meat, but I also recognize the quasi-hypocritical-ness that exists whenever I speak for animal rights. I would like to be a vegetarian/vegan one day to resolve that feeling of being a hypocrite, but I wouldn't push it on others. I just thought it was an interesting comment to make in light of Dan Hardy's rant on hunting.

dan the man 67
05-31-2012, 10:54 PM
I couldn't agree with Hardy more.

Nothing sickens me more than to hear about animal cruelty, and hunting for sport.

MIZjitsZOU
05-31-2012, 11:08 PM
I couldn't agree with Hardy more.

Nothing sickens me more than to hear about animal cruelty, and hunting for sport.

More than pedophilia?

dan the man 67
05-31-2012, 11:30 PM
More than pedophilia?

I am just talking about the animal world...............

Luc1an
05-31-2012, 11:51 PM
I am just talking about the animal world...............

what about animal rape then huh?