PDA

View Full Version : The BJJ Thread

Dan
06-04-2012, 03:29 AM
Credit to MizJudozou for coming up with the idea to make this thread. I'm sure there are quite a few guys and girls that train in BJJ (and maybe a couple of Judo players too), and a thread like this could be great for guys looking for advice, or if people want to share their thoughts on training sessions, techniques, supplements that help, drills, warm-ups, etc, etc.

Feel free to start posting!

MIZjitsZOU
06-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Ok fellas (and ladies) I am back. I have taken about two months off training with a broken lazy bone, but I am now back. Actually I had another baby and have just been chillaxin. I wen to a no-gi class last night and it feels great to be back. I rolled three times at the end of class and only got tapped four times, which is low considering one of they guys I went against is good. Plust that is what I get for being so lazy for so long.

So I don't know the name of the technique we worked last night, but it was a sweep from half guard. Starting on bottom in half guard you get on your right side, hook your left leg in opponents right leg/groin area, swim in and catch left leg while putting your head against the opponents hip...

here is the tricky part your hips roll back to the left, forcing your opponent over you. Now we practiced two different things. First we practiced pushing the opponents right leg out forcing them off balance. You do this by bringing your right leg over your left leg and pushing out. Then you bring your right foot down and post with your left hand, back out while holding the leg (shing) to your ear. Drag them down to the mat and take back.

The second variation was if you couldn't off balance them by taking their leg out then you bring your left leg down and sweep them by kicking your left foot into their ankle while bringing your right foot and body back against them to take them to the mat. You then swim under the leg and take side mount.

Probably to hard to visualize without a video. I will search for one. It feels good to be "back in the saddle." :dancingsmile:

CtGreat
06-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Ok fellas (and ladies) I am back. I have taken about two months off training with a broken lazy bone, but I am now back. Actually I had another baby and have just been chillaxin. I wen to a no-gi class last night and it feels great to be back. I rolled three times at the end of class and only got tapped four times, which is low considering one of they guys I went against is good. Plust that is what I get for being so lazy for so long.

So I don't know the name of the technique we worked last night, but it was a sweep from half guard. Starting on bottom in half guard you get on your right side, hook your left leg in opponents right leg/groin area, swim in and catch left leg while putting your head against the opponents hip...

here is the tricky part your hips roll back to the left, forcing your opponent over you. Now we practiced two different things. First we practiced pushing the opponents right leg out forcing them off balance. You do this by bringing your right leg over your left leg and pushing out. Then you bring your right foot down and post with your left hand, back out while holding the leg (shing) to your ear. Drag them down to the mat and take back.

The second variation was if you couldn't off balance them by taking their leg out then you bring your left leg down and sweep them by kicking your left foot into their ankle while bringing your right foot and body back against them to take them to the mat. You then swim under the leg and take side mount.

Probably to hard to visualize without a video. I will search for one. It feels good to be "back in the saddle." :dancingsmile:

For getting him off balance. If you are in your right side, and you hooked your leg (assuming you meant foot) in their groin area/right leg. How are you supposed to bring your right leg OVER your left leg, if your right leg would be your bottom leg/underneath their hips and hooked around their right leg? Putting your right leg over your left leg(which is still hooked in their groin) and then turning to your left hip sounds semi impossible in terns of getting them off balance. I got jujitsu tonight so I'll test this out before practice n see if I can duplicate what you said.

MIZjitsZOU
06-07-2012, 05:09 PM
For getting him off balance. If you are in your right side, and you hooked your leg (assuming you meant foot) in their groin area/right leg. How are you supposed to bring your right leg OVER your left leg, if your right leg would be your bottom leg/underneath their hips and hooked around their right leg? Putting your right leg over your left leg(which is still hooked in their groin) and then turning to your left hip sounds semi impossible in terns of getting them off balance. I got jujitsu tonight so I'll test this out before practice n see if I can duplicate what you said.

CT I tried to find a video but can't find one. I will ask the name of it when I go to next class (I was about 10 minutes late to class and jumped in while they were doing the technique).

It is from the half guard. You start on your right side (z guard). Swim under and hook right leg. Throw hips back to your left to sweep. Opponent gets themselve stopped. You move your right leg to on top of your left leg that is controlling their right leg. You push their right leg out to off balance them. Then you scoot out, take their left leg, and take them down, and take their back.

I know shitty description, but I will find out the exact terminology next class.

Dan
07-01-2012, 04:29 AM
Considering I can only make one class a week (sometimes two) because of work, taking 3 weeks off is a pretty big deal, and it would take me a while to refresh my memory. But, my school has started 7 til 8am classes called "BJJ before work" which I'll be going to twice a week (with one of those being no-Gi) alongside my normal evening class. Hopefully I'll improve much quicker this way, so I'll keep everyone updated!

MIZjitsZOU
07-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I have been working out very hard to try and get back in shape (running and BJJ).

I bruised my ribs last Tuesday, but decided I should harden the fuck up and go to my open on Thursday. Amazingly I felt no pain once the class started, and have had no bad repercussions.

Moral for me is: when I have a slight injury I might as well get on the horse and keep riding.

I am really trying to get better on my guard and half-guard. I am not very good with sweeps, so I have putting myself in these positions to get better.

Dan
07-06-2012, 06:00 AM
I have been working out very hard to try and get back in shape (running and BJJ).

I bruised my ribs last Tuesday, but decided I should harden the fuck up and go to my open on Thursday. Amazingly I felt no pain once the class started, and have had no bad repercussions.

Moral for me is: when I have a slight injury I might as well get on the horse and keep riding.

I am really trying to get better on my guard and half-guard. I am not very good with sweeps, so I have putting myself in these positions to get better.

Hey man, hope your ribs are better now. I went to training last night and got exactly the same injury; we were working on different kinds of side control and my partner was much bigger and I got a sharp pain in my ribs about 20mins in to the lesson that just wouldn't shift. But, rather than taking today's morning class off (7-8am) I took your advice and sucked it up and went to class. Just the same as you, the pain went away as soon as class started. Thanks for that bro!

I nearly had a big breakthrough at today's class - I was rolling with the guy that choked me twice a few weeks back, and was adament that the same thing wouldn't happen again. He had me in side control but I managed to sneak out and get his back. I worked to get the hooks in and managed to get them both in pretty deep. I tried to stretch him out but he managed to peel my legs out. At this point I thought I'd give a body triangle a try (not something we've been taught but something I was confident I could do after watching some vids on lockflow). I locked in the triangle and managed to snap on a rear naked. I was over the moon because with the body triangle on, I knew I had him. He raised his hand ready to tap before my teacher shouted 'TIME' and so we all broke.

Five seconds more and I would have got my first tap in live sparring, and to make it all the more sweet, it would have been against a guy that choked me twice, and by the same technique, which would have been quite satisfying.

Not got my first sub yet (officially), but I'll update you when I do!

MIZjitsZOU
07-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Awesome Dan. Sounds like you had it sunk in pretty well. Great to hear you are making great progress.

I need to watch those vids on "lockflow". Where did you see them? Almost every time I go for the body triangle, when I take someones back, i end up getting on their side and they reverse it and I end up in bottom guard. I am glad you spoke about that, so I can ask my instructor (or higher belts) what I am doing wrong. Anyone here know?

I am off summer school (I teach public school) so I am now not only back in bjj, but I also started going back to judo (my original home). I am sore as shit from getting my ass thrown a bunch on Thursday, but the ribs feel great. Looking forward to really improving both my games.

Dan
07-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks a lot man, it definitely motivated me because it confirmed to me that I have improved. The video I watched on Lockflow (MMA News and Techniques | Lockflow.com (http://lockflow.com/)) has actually been removed I'm afraid, but there are loads on YouTube and I find them to be really helpful, I've picked up a couple of great techniques on there that I can't wait to try. One in particular is the no-arm triangle: Critical BJJ Technique - No Arm Triangle | MMA Everything (http://www.lockflow.com/critical-bjj-technique-no-arm-triangle). I'd never seen this technique and I will hopefully be able to catch a guy with it because he won't see it coming, but also as the guys I'm rolling with are also white belts it's unlikely they'll know how to effectively defend against it.

I think, to be honest, that is part of the reason why I was able to sink in the body triangle, the guy I was rolling with was concerned with defending the choke so didn't see the triangle coming.

That's great that you've been able to get back in to training, I'm very jealous. I'm applying for PhD funding at the moment, and once I get that (whenever that may be) my time will be my own, so I'll be free to train much more too, and plan on stepping it up in a big way!

Good luck man, I'll let you know how tomorrow morning's session goes!

MIZjitsZOU
08-05-2012, 01:41 PM
We had a BJJ clinic yesterday from Kiko France. He is the black belt that gave our instructor his black belt. It was very cool to get to learn techniques from a guy who has world class bjj. Anyone else ever had the chance to train/do a seminar from someone who was great at their sport?

Most of the techniques were advance for me, but the opportunity to see where my bjj could go was awesome. It was also very cool to see how things chain together at a higher level to see what happens when you put together different techniques for a similar situation. Definitely worth the time and money.

MIZjitsZOU
10-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Ok guys haven't posted on this thread for a while. Been working my BJJ pretty hard. I am also coaching basketball so it is getting hard to get in for both. I am wanting cool vids if anyone has links. I like Marcello Garcia. I also like working a high guard, and not just my legs high, but one where i am close to having a triangle/armbar (watch first round of bart p's last fight).

I was getting swept quite a bit when in halfguard (on top of course), but I think I solved this b/c I get relaxed on my underhooks. I need work on my guard, either opening up more, or attacking more, but i have to quit staying in closed guard and playing handsy. I am getting better with my sweeps.

Anyone got some cool vids with good definition?

Edit: in paragraph number 2 I said I solved this, but I still have problems when people have their knee in my side (from their half guard, while on their side in an offensive position).

MIZjitsZOU
11-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Bump!

I would love to get some of the other BJJ guys on this site to post in this. I know FG, Crisco, CT, Danc, are some of you.

Anyone got cool vids. I like Marcelo Garcia. Anyone got good sites for techniques.

Sniggles
11-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Arthur would hook you up good.

MIZjitsZOU
11-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Arthur would hook you up good.

Is Arthur the kid inside?

Dan
11-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Ok guys haven't posted on this thread for a while. Been working my BJJ pretty hard. I am also coaching basketball so it is getting hard to get in for both. I am wanting cool vids if anyone has links. I like Marcello Garcia. I also like working a high guard, and not just my legs high, but one where i am close to having a triangle/armbar (watch first round of bart p's last fight).

I was getting swept quite a bit when in halfguard (on top of course), but I think I solved this b/c I get relaxed on my underhooks. I need work on my guard, either opening up more, or attacking more, but i have to quit staying in closed guard and playing handsy. I am getting better with my sweeps.

Anyone got some cool vids with good definition?

Edit: in paragraph number 2 I said I solved this, but I still have problems when people have their knee in my side (from their half guard, while on their side in an offensive position).

Hey Miz, I meant to post on this last week but was really busy with work. Good to hear your half guard is working more now and feels stronger, I have exactly the same issue, and still feel quite vulnerable to sweeps in half guard. I'm one of the smaller guys in the gym, so most guys can power out of it, and I don't have a strong enough base to hold the position for long at the moment.

In one class last week we had the sparring set up so that the five blue, purple, or brown belts that were in the class would do rounds with the 11 white belts, and would do 'winner stays on'. Needless to say, the non-white belts didn't lose a single round, but one dude impressed me a lot in particular.

This guy is 5"1', around 40, maybe a natural 135 pounder (although I don't know what he competes at in BJJ), bald-headed and bearded, and a purple belt. He's ginger haired, so kinda Irish looking.

Anyway, I sparred with this guy and he talks the entire way through it (he does it with every guy... he just does not stop talking), and I managed to pass his guard (although I'm pretty sure he gave me the pass) and was in his half-guard. He's saying "Oh there we go, you just passed my guard. But, the thing is, what if I said to you that I actually like this position? Would it surprise you?".

This guy then hits an "electric chair" (its a hip crank) submission on me. I tapped almost immediately it was so tight. It felt like my balls were gonna split haha!

As for videos, I like Garcia too, I like his fluidity and flexibility. I also like watching Eddie Bravo's stuff, because he has a lot of unusual techniques that I find work in the gym because they aren't necessarily taught in some gyms, you're able to catch guys out with things they don't see coming.

Check out the electric chair, I can't wait to start trying to work it into my game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pegu58bFyM

MIZjitsZOU
11-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks Dan. I like that video. I will try that out next week.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
11-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Sunday morning No-Gi is awesome because 80% of my training partners are hungover or still semi-drunk from the Saturday night and puking in the shower and it's always a breeze of a class. Not to be TOO much of a sadist, but I don't go for subs nearly as fast as I do say, on a Tuesday night, because I know they're dragging ass, so I'll sink hooks in from the top mount and just slowly turn the screws.

Fun stuff.

MIZjitsZOU
11-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Sunday morning No-Gi is awesome because 80% of my training partners are hungover or still semi-drunk from the Saturday night and puking in the shower and it's always a breeze of a class. Not to be TOO much of a sadist, but I don't go for subs nearly as fast as I do say, on a Tuesday night, because I know they're dragging ass, so I'll sink hooks in from the top mount and just slowly turn the screws.

Fun stuff.

Now that is great f'ing stuff.

Ever had anyone puke on you?

I was in mount (about a week and a half ago) and was sitting on the person with my left foot in their ear thinking arm or triangle. I went arm and accidentally let out a super fart. Still tapped them but it was a shameful submission.

Do you compete FG?

Fedorlei Gomipierre
11-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Now that is great f'ing stuff.

Ever had anyone puke on you?

I was in mount (about a week and a half ago) and was sitting on the person with my left foot in their ear thinking arm or triangle. I went arm and accidentally let out a super fart. Still tapped them but it was a shameful submission.

Do you compete FG?

Never got puke on me, most scurry away and we've got a trusty bucket for emergencies.

Started doing No Gi more now than I used to, find it alot more comfortable to the Gi, but also find that what I do is more freestyle/catch wrestling as opposed to BJJ, which I've got to stop relying on if I want to improve my technique(which is still darn good if I may say).

Don't really have time to do competitions. I went to a big one about a year ago as a spectator for my teammates and was really shocked to see what the guys at HW looked like from a certain BIG NAME MMA camp in Toronto. Let's just say, there's no way AT ALL the could've pissed clean(as there are alot of rumours about this particular camp around here) and they were blown up after the first round in puking in the streets. It was fucking ridiculous.

Dan
11-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Never got puke on me, most scurry away and we've got a trusty bucket for emergencies.

Started doing No Gi more now than I used to, find it alot more comfortable to the Gi, but also find that what I do is more freestyle/catch wrestling as opposed to BJJ, which I've got to stop relying on if I want to improve my technique(which is still darn good if I may say).

Don't really have time to do competitions. I went to a big one about a year ago as a spectator for my teammates and was really shocked to see what the guys at HW looked like from a certain BIG NAME MMA camp in Toronto. Let's just say, there's no way AT ALL the could've pissed clean(as there are alot of rumours about this particular camp around here) and they were blown up after the first round in puking in the streets. It was fucking ridiculous.

Hahaha, wish we had thought of the bucket at my school, because the mats were honking this week after one of the brown belts brought his boots up! I wasn't there to see it, but had the pleasure of rolling around on the mats after he'd left.

We don't get the chance to do that much no-gi training at my school, but I'd really like to get some experience pretty soon. I'm not a strong dude, so lots of the gi-dependent techniques (gi chokes etc.) are difficult for me to set-up, even from top position, and I've been incorporating a few of Eddie Bravo's techniques into my game recently, so it would be good to see how I fare against guys who focus mainly on gi-BJJ but are just in a rash guard.

This week I was drilling and sparring with a dude my size (5"10, 150lbs - most guys at my gym are around 180+) who has trained no-gi for around 9 months before moving to our school, where he has trained in the gi for the past 6. I've been training for around 7 months, so he's much more experienced than me.

I have flexible legs, so lots of rubber guard techniques work nicely for me, and as I don't have good arm strength, I'm able to use my legs as kind of back-up weapons. This week I managed to stall my opponent in my guard nearly every time, using rubber guard and then moving to crackhead control.

I then gave this a go - Bravo calls it the gag reflex - Gag Reflex from Crack Head Control - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6grBGUO0fpM) - and it worked a treat. It took me a while to position my hand and arm correctly to get the submission, and i kind of had to fiddle around re-positioning and pushing my fist in further to apply the correct pressure, but it worked, and I'm chuffed!

Hows training been for you guys?

MIZjitsZOU
12-26-2012, 11:07 PM
So, I went back to BJJ for the first time in about two months. I have been off because of laziness and I am a basketball coach. At the end of class I took it easy on our first live roll. Then the second five minute roll came and I was absolutely spent. Then on the third a new guy got me in an arm bar. I fought it for half a sec and then he through his hips in it like we were going for a NAGA belt. Holy shit I let out a verbal tap like nobodies business. Arm bent back and I am gonna be sore, but all be damned it felt good to get back on the horse!

Dan
12-27-2012, 04:39 AM
So, I went back to BJJ for the first time in about two months. I have been off because of laziness and I am a basketball coach. At the end of class I took it easy on our first live roll. Then the second five minute roll came and I was absolutely spent. Then on the third a new guy got me in an arm bar. I fought it for half a sec and then he through his hips in it like we were going for a NAGA belt. Holy shit I let out a verbal tap like nobodies business. Arm bent back and I am gonna be sore, but all be damned it felt good to get back on the horse!

Good on you Miz! I've been off training for around 5 weeks now (got a pretty nasty virus before Xmas, then a chest infection straight after!), but will be back on it from the New Year.
Ouch, sounds painful! Hope you haven't injured your arm, because I know how frustrating it is to not be able to train just when you're on a real motivational roll.

On Christmas Day, me and my brother (he's 26, I'm 23) decided to have a grappling match. It's been probably close to a decade since we had a good scrap, and I think I had quite a lot to prove haha! He was teasing me about jiu-jitsu saying "Rolling around with blokes will not make you a killer, it'll make you gay" and was winding me up saying it would be useless... Challenge accepted.

I was always on the rough end of a beating whenever we used to fight, and now he has even more of a size advantage (he's put on a lot of muscle mass, and I've lost a lot of weight), so I had to bring my A-Game!

He's very long and rangey and was shirtless (it sounds much more homo-erotic than it was - he always been shirtless when he's in the house, ever since we were little) so he was a nightmare to get hold of and control, and he did a good job of avoiding takedown attempts for a good few minutes, saying "I know what you're trying to do, but it's not happening".

When I finally managed to get hold of him, I jumped guard, let him try and pass my guard, and snuck out the back door and took his back.
I wanted to finish with my favourite finish - a rear-naked with body triangle - but he was actually defending it really well and I couldn't get the body triangle on. He started to turn towards me and was offering his arm for an armbar... so I took it. Boom! My first EVER victory over my brother in a fight, and it only took 23 years.

Funny thing is, I actually feel guilty!

MIZjitsZOU
12-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Good shit Dan. I know how your brother feels. I am the oldest and my brothers are both athletic. We usually wait till summer to wrestle. My brother has one of those above ground pools and we have some special rules. I am ten years your elder, so getting to old to all out fight without a mat, ha! I bet your brother goes and takes some classes in BJJ secretly to get you next year.

I think my arm is good to go. It felt great to get back in the saddle. I have about three more weeks of basketball and then I can dedicate myself to three bjj classes.

I really want to compete in a NAGA bjj event this year. I have competed Judo, but never BJJ. Have you competed yet? I will want to get to 160 before I do. This is my goal for this year.

CRisCO
12-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Good shit Dan. I know how your brother feels. I am the oldest and my brothers are both athletic. We usually wait till summer to wrestle. My brother has one of those above ground pools and we have some special rules. I am ten years your elder, so getting to old to all out fight without a mat, ha! I bet your brother goes and takes some classes in BJJ secretly to get you next year.

I think my arm is good to go. It felt great to get back in the saddle. I have about three more weeks of basketball and then I can dedicate myself to three bjj classes.

I really want to compete in a NAGA bjj event this year. I have competed Judo, but never BJJ. Have you competed yet? I will want to get to 160 before I do. This is my goal for this year.

Naga's are a lot of fun. Depending on where you live they can get very crowded. It's an all day affair for sure.

Dan
01-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Okay so I've been hitting the school hard this week, with a technique session on Thursday night, again on Friday, a conditioning session Saturday morning, followed by a sparring session straight after conditioning. Oh man I'm paying for it now, I ache all over... but it's nothing a bottle of wine won't fix.

These were my first sessions in around a month (I had a horrible virus/chest infection over Christmas), and man they were tough. Not a great week to be honest! We worked on clock chokes when our opponent is in the turtle (Hannette Staack - Clock Choke Details - BJJ Weekly #083 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TykCh94_TuA) - Skip to 2mins in) on Thursday and I felt like I was really nailing them, I had my grip really deep and didn't have to rotate much to get the tap in drills.

However, when we drilled them again on Friday I'm not sure what had changed but my partner (who was the same form Thursday) said that something was off and it was more of a crank than a choke.

I asked my teacher what was going wrong, and he said this was down to being in the wrong position on the back, and said I needed to move forward so that my head is almost touching the floor, but it didn't seem to make much difference. If anybody has any tips of this one I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Anyway, sparring didn't go too well (I didn't get one tap!) as all of the guys were either higher belts, or much closer to blue than I am, but hey, you win or you learn!

I'm quite a smallish guy - 5"10 and around 145-150lbs (when it isn't just after Christmas) and try to use my leg flexibility to my advantage (can get both behind my head) but I'd like to improve my mobility on the bottom a lot more. One guy I train with is around 5"7 and 135 at most and he's so fluid on the ground, he's constantly doing side-rolls and shrimps out of almost any position it seems. Are there are any exercises to do to improve this explosiveness, other than practicing just shrimps and siderolls?

MIZjitsZOU
01-06-2013, 09:54 AM
I enjoyed the clock choke video. I have never tried that one. I usually try to take the back or turn the person over to get into side control. I will try that one next open (free roll). I have not seen us practice that, so I might be able to get it unexpectedly on someone.

However, when we drilled them again on Friday I'm not sure what had changed but my partner (who was the same form Thursday) said that something was of

Were your hands in deep enough on the collar? I know when I have learned collar chokes from the guard you really have to open that initial collar up to get your hand in deep so that the "knife" of where your thumb meets your wrist is on their carotid artery. I did not see that Hannette keep turning either when her hips came through? Do you have to walk to the left if you are on their right?

Are there are any exercises to do to improve this explosiveness, other than practicing just shrimps and siderolls?

Do you have a heavy bag (punching bag)? If you have a big heavy bag I like to put it on top of myself and shrimp it off. I like to get my knee in between us and push at the opportune time when they don't have all their wait on me to regain full guard. I also like to run with a kettle ball for I feel it keeps my core really tight.

Here is something I have been working on. I really like getting into north south position. I watched this Marcello Garcia video. I wasn't having much success with it, but a higher belt showed me to not only turn my shoulder down into the choke but also walk and towards the choke a little. Here is the video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RkFHJHC58qc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Repenter
01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
i helped a new guy in town train a bit for an upcoming fight this morning. he kept throwing up a high underhook to get up every time i took side control, so i ended up d'arcing him 6 times. gotta learn, son!

Dan
01-11-2013, 02:37 AM
i helped a new guy in town train a bit for an upcoming fight this morning. he kept throwing up a high underhook to get up every time i took side control, so i ended up d'arcing him 6 times. gotta learn, son!

Hahah I'll definitely be sure to try and not make that mistake, because I know I'm very sloppy with getting my underhook positioning right, cheers for the heads up on what I'm leaving myself open for!

I enjoyed the clock choke video. I have never tried that one. I usually try to take the back or turn the person over to get into side control. I will try that one next open (free roll). I have not seen us practice that, so I might be able to get it unexpectedly on someone.

Yeah man, I really like that choke, it's quite easy to set-up, it just seems like there's a few details I'm missing that aren't making it as effective. My teacher is a blackbelt under Eduardo Telles, so he has a whole load of tricks when it comes to the turtle positioning, both riding the turtle, and when you're in the turtle. I'd definitely recommend checking some Telles videos out, he's a crafty dude - eduardo telles - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eduardo+telles&oq=eduardo+telles&gs_l=youtube.3..0l7.274.4899.0.5060.18.15.1.1.1.4. 577.3855.1j5j2j0j1j4.13.0...0.0...1ac.1j2.3dxeNwtj wtU)

Were your hands in deep enough on the collar? I know when I have learned collar chokes from the guard you really have to open that initial collar up to get your hand in deep so that the "knife" of where your thumb meets your wrist is on their carotid artery. I did not see that Hannette keep turning either when her hips came through? Do you have to walk to the left if you are on their right?

I first thought that my grip wasn't deep enough, and I was opening the collar up, but I think that it might have been the positioning of my hand, maybe I'm turning my hand?
Yeah you walk to the left when you're on their right, and at the moment I'm finding I have to walk quite far, whereas when I see other dudes do it they're only having to walk a little way before they get the tap. This does suggest that something isn't 'tight' enough, so I'll have to get somebody to look over my grip when I next do it.

Do you have a heavy bag (punching bag)? If you have a big heavy bag I like to put it on top of myself and shrimp it off. I like to get my knee in between us and push at the opportune time when they don't have all their wait on me to regain full guard. I also like to run with a kettle ball for I feel it keeps my core really tight.

I don't have one just yet no, but now you've said it I think I am going to get one. I know you can also get those grappling dummies, so I think I'll pick one of those up so I can do some training at home. I do have a kettlebell but to be honest I don't really know any exercises to do with it. I'll have to have a look on YouTube, but I like your idea as well man I'll definitely do that. Thanks for that man!

Here is something I have been working on. I really like getting into north south position. I watched this Marcello Garcia video. I wasn't having much success with it, but a higher belt showed me to not only turn my shoulder down into the choke but also walk and towards the choke a little. Here is the video.

Oh I like that a lot. I found the other day a couple of situations where I had side control and while I find it fairly easy to get to mount from side control (because my legs are very flexible - so I kind of surprise guys a little because I don't need to pull my toes over to get on top, I can kind of slink my foot over and keep it really close to my body and climb on) guys were obviously very aware that this is what I was looking for. However, I didn't want to move round to north-south because to be honest I have almost no attacks from that position because the north-south hadn't worked for me before, and I think that from watching this video it's because I wasn't dropping the shoulder or pinning my head like Marcelo.

I'm definitely going to look for that one at sparring next week man, I have training tonight but we don't always get a sparring part (it's a short session and it depends how many new guys are there), but if we do I'm going to look for that.

MIZjitsZOU
01-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Had a good open today. A guy from my club has an army combatives tourney next week, so he wanted to drill stand up grappling. Most people in BJJ don't want to drill this a lot (IMO), but me with my judo background loves this. He wanted me to pretend to be worried about a takedown so that I would just lock my arms out and put my feet backward. So myself and another guy who does Judo showed him how to fake with a foot sweep and then go in (and single or double leg, which I wouldn't do b/c I don't know how, b/c I do Judo but that is his game). We also worked on breaking grips and showed him how to do a double open grip (grabbing both wrists collars and going up to break grip) and then going in for the take down. It was fun b/c me and the other guy would go two minutes in then change guys to throw a new guy in and make him work.

Forgot how much stand up grappling is!

Dan
01-20-2013, 05:11 AM
Had a good open today. A guy from my club has an army combatives tourney next week, so he wanted to drill stand up grappling. Most people in BJJ don't want to drill this a lot (IMO), but me with my judo background loves this. He wanted me to pretend to be worried about a takedown so that I would just lock my arms out and put my feet backward. So myself and another guy who does Judo showed him how to fake with a foot sweep and then go in (and single or double leg, which I wouldn't do b/c I don't know how, b/c I do Judo but that is his game). We also worked on breaking grips and showed him how to do a double open grip (grabbing both wrists collars and going up to break grip) and then going in for the take down. It was fun b/c me and the other guy would go two minutes in then change guys to throw a new guy in and make him work.

Forgot how much stand up grappling is!

Awesome Miz, you must be a handy guy to have at the gym with your judo experience. I could have done with a few tips from you this week actually. I've only been able to train once this week (there's heavy snow here that stopped me training on Friday) but we were sparring from standing, and I felt pretty out of my depth as we've done so little drilling/sparring for takedowns.

Do you have any tips for nifty takedowns I can try out (to surprise some of the guys with in sparring) that maybe aren't too common or orthodox, but tend to work quite well?

We've got a judo black belt in our class (blue belt in BJJ) but I don't get much of a chance to roll with him, so if you have any tips that'd be great Miz!

MIZjitsZOU
01-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Hey Dan,

I would love to share some tips.

In Judo there are three parts to a throw (takedown in bjj/wrestling).

First break your opponents balance. Usually done with your grip.

Second step in.

Third Throw.

All this sounds easy, but you have to make it work simultaneously for it to work well.

Here are some Judo throws that I think work well for BJJ. They are low risk, meaning that they won't put you in to bad of a spot if you miss. (some throws can leave you open to chokes).

I will say the English way and then the Japanese. The throws I like are mainly foot sweeps for BJJ. They are major outer reap, major inner reap. minor outer reap, and minor inner reap. I also like major hip toss, body drop, inner thigh throw, sweeping hip throw. The corresponding Japanese names are o soto gar, o uchi gari, ko soto gari, ko uchi gari, o goshi, tai otoshi, uchi mata, hari goshi. O means major in Japanese. Ko means minor. Uchi mata is won of the prettiest, best, and hardest (to an opponent) throws that there is.

A lot of BJJ guys do that stiff arm, where they grab sleaves with the right hand and then grab the lapel with the left hand or vice versa. Then they hold you so it is hard to shoot in. I like to fake with my right foot to their left foot, like I am going to sweep, get them to move back and then attack their lead foot, or vice versa. This helps you shift their balance. Chaining o soto to o uchi (major outer to major inner) can really get them.

Here are some videos:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bPPigY8SxRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zGCn6_-9riQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mPmk5fmCHgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dan hopefully some of this makes sense. If it doesn't pm me and I will give you my phone number. I think I make better sense in person/phone.

MIZjitsZOU
03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Been training my Jits pretty hard. Think I am going to do the March 23 NAGA in St. Louis. Got a bunch of teamates going to Chicago this next weekend. I weight about 182 but would like to roll in the 168-169 weight division. I will be in the 1-3 year experience group. Plan on doing the gi and no gi division. Just gonna do it for the experience. Plus I am getting old and probably don't have to many horrahs in me.

I have been doing a lot of cross fit training. Never really did any of that (unless you count basic training), but it getting me in really good shape.

Anyone got any tricks to cut about thirteen pounds in 20 days? I was not a wrestler. I work out hard, but I don't eat very well, and I enjoy the occasional 1 (or 6) beers.

Saturday night we had a fundraiser for people getting ready to go and compete (gas money). One of the purple belts and blue belts demonstrated high risk maneuvers (cartwheel sweeps, flying triangles, gi chokes where you roll over). It was fun trying them.

Dan
03-09-2013, 02:59 AM
Been training my Jits pretty hard. Think I am going to do the March 23 NAGA in St. Louis. Got a bunch of teamates going to Chicago this next weekend. I weight about 182 but would like to roll in the 168-169 weight division. I will be in the 1-3 year experience group. Plan on doing the gi and no gi division. Just gonna do it for the experience. Plus I am getting old and probably don't have to many horrahs in me.

I have been doing a lot of cross fit training. Never really did any of that (unless you count basic training), but it getting me in really good shape.

Anyone got any tricks to cut about thirteen pounds in 20 days? I was not a wrestler. I work out hard, but I don't eat very well, and I enjoy the occasional 1 (or 6) beers.

Saturday night we had a fundraiser for people getting ready to go and compete (gas money). One of the purple belts and blue belts demonstrated high risk maneuvers (cartwheel sweeps, flying triangles, gi chokes where you roll over). It was fun trying them.

Hey Miz, I've not been on here much for the past few weeks, so sorry for the slow response to your last post. Those throws are awesome, and after watching the videos you posted I asked the Judo black belt that trains at my place to run through them with me, just so I could have a go at them. I love them man, and they're nice little surprises to have in your arsenal.

A few weeks ago I managed to pull off a (very messy-looking) Tai Otoshi on a guy in sparring from standing, and it was an awesome way of getting the takedown AND passing guard (I ended up straight in side control). Thanks a lot for that, man. I really enjoy the judo techniques and am thinking of trying to learn a few more, just because at the moment my size (being one of the smaller guys), double-legs can be quite hard to finish on a lot of dudes, and the throws and trips seem to work well for my body type.

Awesome news about wanting to compete, man, good on you. I wish I could offer more advice on weight cutting, but I'm sure there's a few wrestlers on here that could help with that. Maybe see if you could get a video of your performance for us to check out? Good luck my man!

Had a pretty awesome experience this past week at training. I went along on Thursday night expecting a normal training session, only to find it would be led by multiple-time world champion Fernando "Terere" Augusto Fernando "Terer" Augusto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_%22Terer%C3%AA%22_Augusto). Ah man, what an awesome experience.

We worked on passing from side control into mount, and setting up the kimura/armbar from side control. It was awesome to here some of his favourite little tricks and tips, and he was a real awesome guy (that famous smile is STRIKING in person - no homo). Just had to share, because it was a pretty awesome experience!

There's a regional championships next weekend which a whole load of guys form my school are competing in which I'll be going along to. I really just want to get a feel for the competition, see how it all works, and so I'm better prepared for competing at the next regionals :)

MIZjitsZOU
03-10-2013, 11:42 AM
That guy you got to see has some bad ass credentials. In 2004 he competed in the heavy division and got second (only losing to Werdum by points). It is always cool when you get instruction from someone who is world class good.

Man yesterday I was rolling with a buddy. I back mounted him and got a body triangle. He defended really well from my chokes. I stayed patient and he ended up belly down to the mat. I decided I would go back to having my back to the mat. I started to roll and I realized to late that my right foot/ankle was going to twist. I heard it pop and thought for sure I had really fucked it up, but fortunately it feels ok today (just minor soreness).

I will definitely get some video of my competition when I do it.

Here is a video I watched today. Looks like it would be bad ass to catch someone in this throw.

Jimmy Pedro - Judo for Jiu Jitsu - Fireman&#39;s Carry - BJJ Weekly #115 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEZXq6dSd8c)

NinjaShogunRua
03-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Here is some more judo for bjj from professor renato migliaccio:

Judo For BJJ by Sampa Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and MMA, Glendora, San Dimas, La Verne - YouTube (http://youtu.be/y32OSXU-1f8)

Enjoy!

MIZjitsZOU
03-22-2013, 07:47 AM
One more day until the St. Louis NAGA. My ankle hurts, but I am going to tough it out. Only straight ankle locks in my white belt division are allowed. I will tap very quickly if I get caught in a right straight ankle lock.

Unfortunately I haven't been watching what I eat or drink. I am in pretty good shape, but will have to just heart out some of it. This will be a good experience. They have another one in July, and I will be on summer break, so I can train more.

Either way I will try to have some video to post.

Dan
03-22-2013, 05:06 PM
One more day until the St. Louis NAGA. My ankle hurts, but I am going to tough it out. Only straight ankle locks in my white belt division are allowed. I will tap very quickly if I get caught in a right straight ankle lock.

Unfortunately I haven't been watching what I eat or drink. I am in pretty good shape, but will have to just heart out some of it. This will be a good experience. They have another one in July, and I will be on summer break, so I can train more.

Either way I will try to have some video to post.

Good luck Miz, it'll be a great experience and one that I'm sure you'll learn a great deal from. Let us know how you get on. I had been training a whole load these past few months, but last week I tore a ligament in my knee.

I'm waiting to see a specialist to see how badly torn it is, but it looks like its my ACL. Luckily I don't think it's a complete tear, so hopefully won't be out for too long, but all I want to do is train!

Being in my early 20s, and not having been particularly sporty before starting BJJ, I had never really had any injuries before this one, and being quite flexible, I guess I kind of took my body for granted a bit. I know I don't have a major injury, but it's definitely made me see the importance of proper supplementation and diet when you're doing something so physical like BJJ/grappling.

Can you recommend anything in particular that works for you to help maintain joints/bones? I take fish oil, and started taking glucosamine, but the GP (Doc) I went to see told me there's little evidence to suggest it actually does anything for your joints.

Ps: How did the NAGA go Miz? :)

MIZjitsZOU
03-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Can you recommend anything in particular that works for you to help maintain joints/bones? I take fish oil, and started taking glucosamine, but the GP (Doc) I went to see told me there's little evidence to suggest it actually does anything for your joints.

Ps: How did the NAGA go Miz? :)

Hey Dan, sorry to hear about the knee. I hurt my left knee a few years ago. I bought a cheap Mueller brace at Walmart. It protects it and gives me piece of mind. They say those Glucosamine/Condrotin (?) pills are good. If we could get Kidinside to come to this thread he would probably have an assload of suggestions (one of us should pm b/c I know he grapples as well). While your knee is still hurting I would suggest just to work on ground technique, because I always feel like the stand up is where you can hurt it.

As for the NAGA:

Great experience. I did not do particulary well. I went 1-3 overall. I weighed in at the 170-179 group. I did not cut weight beforehand, but showed up and weighed 180, so I ran around, pissed and dropped a pound.

No Gi- I went up against a really tough guy. I was defending the whole time and almost got side control. Unfortunately I didn't have an underhook and he took my back and RNC'd me. This left me one and done and out of the bracket.

In Gi my first match was against a four strip white belt with a scarry beard and just a really strong guy. I murdered him with side control, mount, and north south. He elbowed me and we had to stop to clean up my blood and put some gauze in. We started back and I road out the match in mount and won by points.

My next match was against the eventual winner. He mounted me and I spent the next three - four minutes trying to get back to half guard and avoid submissions. He damn near choked me out, but I toughed it out. I momentarily retained guard, but got swept and arm barred.

Unfortunately I had to go for the next match. My coach asked for a four minute break, but I was done. I did well in the match by getting side control and north south, but I tried to mount (really tired) and he got guard back and double arm barred my tired ass.

I am glad I didn't have to roll against my teammate who was in the same bracket.

It was a fun experience. We had two teammates win, and we all had fun. I learned that I need to train harder and lose some lbs for the next event in July. I got to meet Dan Hornbuckle and take a picture with him. He was really nice and said he had a championship bout in a few weeks in Japan. I also met Tyrone Woodley. I don't have any video tape, b/c it all happened so fast, and my family was not there. All in all it was a lot of fun.

disposableassassin
03-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Good on ya miz! I respect the effort. I wish I had a spot to train BJJ around here. I think I would be good. I have outgrappled guys who have military training in grappling. I've never had a lesson aside from the tape I study. I'm in the gym all the time now. At 6'5 and with good strength I could still cut to damn near 170! I'm strong as hell, but I am becoming extremely fit. I would love to learn jits and compete. Maybe one day......

TheKidInside
03-24-2013, 10:43 AM
First of, your doc saying there's "little evidence to support it" is absolute criminal negligence. You know why? Because IT'S A DIETARY SUPPLEMENT and unless he does immense blood, urine, stool and lymph samples to know the vast scope of your body's nutrient sustainability then he cannot speak on its efficacy WHATSOEVER.

Secondly, what is happening with your knee? I may have missed it in this thread. Where does it hurt, how did it happen, etc? Oh and I hope you've been icing. Besides reducing the swelling and inflammation it would make it feel better. Psychological angle is important.

MIZjitsZOU
03-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Spring break has been a great week for me. I got to train four straight days this week. I am going to rock the next tournament. I might do one in June in Springfield MO. I want to lose 10 pounds, so that I can compete at 160-170.

Kid - you got any tips for a guy who really likes to eat (and drink beer), but wants to lose weight but still feel satisfied?

TheKidInside
03-28-2013, 12:47 PM
the eating part: learn to make clean food taste great with marinating, stir frying in coconut oil/saute-ing and learn to enjoy it lol

drinking - apple cider :)

MIZjitsZOU
03-28-2013, 02:16 PM
the eating part: learn to make clean food taste great with marinating, stir frying in coconut oil/saute-ing and learn to enjoy it lol

Do you mean apple cider minus the alcohol, or the hard cider with alcohol? Why is it better for you?

Thanks!

TheKidInside
03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
hard cider. otherwise I'd say apple cider vinegar :P

no gluten, feels lighter, usually less empty kcals as well.

Dan
03-29-2013, 04:09 AM
First of, your doc saying there's "little evidence to support it" is absolute criminal negligence. You know why? Because IT'S A DIETARY SUPPLEMENT and unless he does immense blood, urine, stool and lymph samples to know the vast scope of your body's nutrient sustainability then he cannot speak on its efficacy WHATSOEVER.

Ahhh, I see. Have researchers not done those kinds of in-depth tests though? I would have thought it would have been thoroughly tested, but in all honesty I know very little about supplementation.

Secondly, what is happening with your knee? I may have missed it in this thread. Where does it hurt, how did it happen, etc? Oh and I hope you've been icing. Besides reducing the swelling and inflammation it would make it feel better. Psychological angle is important.

Hey Dan, sorry to hear about the knee. I hurt my left knee a few years ago. I bought a cheap Mueller brace at Walmart. It protects it and gives me piece of mind. They say those Glucosamine/Condrotin (?) pills are good. If we could get Kidinside to come to this thread he would probably have an assload of suggestions (one of us should pm b/c I know he grapples as well). While your knee is still hurting I would suggest just to work on ground technique, because I always feel like the stand up is where you can hurt it

Thanks a lot guys :) It's hard for me to really pin-point exactly where the pain is, but it's difficult to put much weight on that leg, and the doctor said its very stiff where she tried to bend my leg at the knee.

I've heard from a number of guys at BJJ that GP's here in the UK know very little when it comes to sports injuries, and really show themselves to be what they are...'General' practictioners; able to give you a general diagnosis about what you've injured, but lacking the knowledge to tell you much more than that. I'd agree with that, as the doctor told me I had likely torn a ligament, but referred me to a specialist who would tell me which ligament is torn, and how badly.

With us having the NHS (National Health Service) here, it's likely I'll be waiting another couple of weeks (I've already waited almost 2 weeks) until I get to see the specialist, so I'll keep you all up to date with that.

As for the NAGA:

Good effort at the NAGA man, to come away with a victory is great news, and you can only learn and become better from the losses. You know what they say; "You win or you learn", and I'm sure you won't make those mistakes again in future. Good on you!

TheKidInside
03-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Ahhh, I see. Have researchers not done those kinds of in-depth tests though? I would have thought it would have been thoroughly tested, but in all honesty I know very little about supplementation.

you cannot tests efficacy of dietary supplements. Science simply is nowhere near "advance" enough all these Big Pharm companies would have you believe.

As far as your knee, a. you should keep icing. If there's inflammation it would help to keep it down and b. take some of the pain/discomfort away. Also, keep it very tightly wrapped up. I'd not recommend a brace as it is too "general" (no pun intended hehe) but look up a few ways to wrap it up online and see which works best and hang in there :)

Dan
03-29-2013, 02:21 PM
you cannot tests efficacy of dietary supplements. Science simply is nowhere near "advance" enough all these Big Pharm companies would have you believe.

As far as your knee, a. you should keep icing. If there's inflammation it would help to keep it down and b. take some of the pain/discomfort away. Also, keep it very tightly wrapped up. I'd not recommend a brace as it is too "general" (no pun intended hehe) but look up a few ways to wrap it up online and see which works best and hang in there :)

Ah I understand. Can you recommend any particular foods/supplements that help joints? I'm not the biggest fan of fish, but force down a salmon steak or mackerel fillet about once a week, and usually eat steak once a week too. I know you're a real clean eater, and I am too, but my diet is very basic (grilled plain chicken breast and brocolli about 5 nights a week), so I'm open to any suggestions to help make it a little more interesting/beneficial for my joints!)

Thanks a lot for the advice, I've been wearing a brace for the last week or so, but I'm definitely going to take your advice about wrapping it up, especially when I train.

TheKidInside
03-29-2013, 06:07 PM
add other omega-3s; walnuts, flax, hemp seeds.

chondroiton/msm/glucosamine supplement. Mumijo if you can get it (from central Asia) amazing stuff...

Dan
03-30-2013, 06:28 AM
add other omega-3s; walnuts, flax, hemp seeds.

chondroiton/msm/glucosamine supplement. Mumijo if you can get it (from central Asia) amazing stuff...

Nice one, thanks man. My knee feels great today, I can put a lot more weight on it than before and it's not so stiff. I'm going to pick up some flax and hemp seeds later today and get the supplements too. Thanks for the advice man, really appreciate it :)

TheKidInside
03-30-2013, 11:28 AM
any darn time, my good neighbor from across the pond.

Repenter
04-06-2013, 12:29 PM
hard cider. otherwise I'd say apple cider vinegar :P

no gluten, feels lighter, usually less empty kcals as well.

kid's got it right on this one. cider is far superior to beer, but choose the much drier ones, as the sweeter ciders can leave you in a stupor for days and do serious damage to your body. my favorite is probably harpoon, which only has 7g of sugar per bottle. you'll find some of the sweeter ones like mcscrumpy's or whatever the shit it's called can have 30+. (for comparison, pepsi has 43g of sugar per the same volume).

and organic cider vinegar should be your go-to condiment all the time. throw it on a sweet potato, and you're havin a good day

TheKidInside
04-07-2013, 09:08 AM
apple cider vinegar is my morning shot with 32 ounces of water :)

MIZjitsZOU
04-07-2013, 10:13 AM
apple cider vinegar is my morning shot with 32 ounces of water :)

Do u drink the 32 ounces quickly? I like apple cider vinegar. My family puts it on broccoli. Always have.

On a bjj note: I have been going to wrestling practice on Wednesday nights, which has been fun. There is a submission challenge in kc that I might do next weekend.

Dan
04-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Do u drink the 32 ounces quickly? I like apple cider vinegar. My family puts it on broccoli. Always have.

On a bjj note: I have been going to wrestling practice on Wednesday nights, which has been fun. There is a submission challenge in kc that I might do next weekend.

Nice, you're going to be bringing a nasty top game to BJJ practice soon dude with that I'm sure, with your Judo background I can imagine you already have a solid base.

I'm still off of training, but I've finally got my referral with the specialist booked, but it's not for another month. The last week or so it's healed amazingly, and doesn't hurt at all, and hasn't fot most of the week. I'm actually going to start riding again, going back to work tomorrow, but I'll take it easy so as not to blow it out again.

I'm going to have another a week or so away from training, because I don't want to start putting stress on my knees again too early. I'm itching to get back to training, my diet has suffered from not exercising and losing motivation. But, I tend find it hard not to live in extremes when it comes to diet and exercise; If I'm exercising regularly, I'll eat great too; If I'm not exercising, my diet goes out the window and I am a MACHINE when I eat.

Sniggles
04-07-2013, 05:22 PM

How significant is the health difference between olive oil and coconut oil?

Repenter
04-07-2013, 09:59 PM
depends how you look at it. coconut oil is a saturated fat, but loaded with MCT's (mediumchain triglycerides) which are great for cognitive funciton, and can actually aid weightloss and metabolism of fats. olive oil is a monounsaturated fat (as are most all of the 'flavorful, seasoning' oil, such as walnut, sesame or pumpkinseed), and has a much more favorable omega 3-to-omega 6 ratio than polyunsaturated fats, (typically the neutral cooking oils, known for being clear, flavorless, and having a high smoking point. think soybean oil, vegetable oil, corn oil, etc. there is a lot of evidence that these oils are inflammatory, and they are avoided in the paleo diet).

TheKidInside
04-08-2013, 12:49 PM

I chug it yes, usually in one gulp...

I don't know why i recorded this but I did lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8T4qgZWPVlI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How significant is the health difference between olive oil and coconut oil?

aside from what Repenter said before; also coconut oil has the highest "boiling" point (which you want to avoid in cooking) so it's good for stuff that takes a bit to cook, like onions or garlic for example. Usually, the reason i like it is a. the flavor and b. i need to only apply it once to a pan or a wok and saute the onions, tofu stir fry then add spinach and garlic and never worry about adding more oil.

Also as a fuel source the coconut oil MCT is lauric acid, broken down quickly in the body for energy and which is actually anti-inflammatory if consume in virgin, cold pressed and organic coconut oil (most cholesterol studies were done in PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED coconut oil which is not the same thing).

depends how you look at it. coconut oil is a saturated fat, but loaded with MCT's (mediumchain triglycerides) which are great for cognitive funciton, and can actually aid weightloss and metabolism of fats. olive oil is a monounsaturated fat (as are most all of the 'flavorful, seasoning' oil, such as walnut, sesame or pumpkinseed), and has a much more favorable omega 3-to-omega 6 ratio than polyunsaturated fats, (typically the neutral cooking oils, known for being clear, flavorless, and having a high smoking point. think soybean oil, vegetable oil, corn oil, etc. there is a lot of evidence that these oils are inflammatory, and they are avoided in the paleo diet).

any source of omega-3 seems to hit the cognition very well. Even if ALA only, plant based. the process of conversion from ALA to DHA in the body is not clear.

Repenter
04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
on a quick tangent from what kid said about the 'boiling' point of oils, 'smoking point' is what he meant, and it's really something to avoid. when an oil reaches the smoking point, it begins to oxidize, and your body has to work very hard to process that shit. oils with high smoking points, (coconut, peanut, even avocado oil) are good for this use. cold-pressed oils, (a lot of the flavorful, monounsaturated 'finishing oils', think sesame and olive and nut oils), have a very low smoking point, and shouldn't be used for heated applications, though they're so much more expensive i can't imagine why you'd want to. and if you were wondering if you were consuming oxidized oils? ya know that superheated canola blend that sits in the fryer all day at buffalo wild wings? yeah... about that....

another quick tangent about something kid said: the legends about coconut oil being unhealthy are bogus because the original tests were conducted on partially hydrogenated oils. the quick math on that is that several oils (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated) are ripe for going rancid due to their molecular makeup. if there are 'open slots' on the molecule, it's easy for some random atom to bond on and turn the oil to shit, causing that nasty rancid oil smell. hydrogenation uses an extra hydrogen atom or two to 'saturate' the oils, thus filling up some of the empty electron openings, and greatly increasing shelf life. that's what crisco is... hydrogenated vegetable oil to increase shelf life.

some of this shit is also better known as 'trans fats', but that's an even longer story. prolix prolix!

TheKidInside
04-08-2013, 06:09 PM
that's why researchers say that all that "saturated fats are bad" research was done including trans fats not high quality saturated fat. so instead of using virgin, cold pressed organic coconut oil they were using what you and i are mentioned, the hydrogenated kind.

Repenter
04-08-2013, 11:46 PM
SONS of BITCHES!

MIZjitsZOU
04-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Repenter and kid: do you guys train bjj? Got any tips or vids? Dan and I are fairly new (under two years for both of us). Do either of you strength or circuit train? How much do you run?

TheKidInside
04-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I, inevitably, get involved in too many things. I been training BJJ for 5 years now, purple belt. But since I also do triathlons (just of last year) and endurance/obstacle races, I train specifically strength/conditioning wise for that. BJJ I truly believe in "drillers are killers" mantra and stick to that. I am lean and strong so that works for my weight class and i'd rather concentrate on technique and sweeps over being able to muscle out of something. I focus on cardio and lactic threshold for BJJ.

Repenter
04-09-2013, 12:34 PM
i've been training for five years as well, and am currently under donald park, (royler black belt). if you can invest in a private, (particularly with someone of your body type, as styles change drastically with small changes to the body), do it immediately. a one-hour private can open up an entire world to you that you didn't see before, and a 4-5 technique chain to drill over and over again can completely change your game.

as far as fitness goes, we've already gone on about diet... but my life approach is becoming more and more based on bjj by the day. i train 4-5 times a week unless i'm injured, i bike everywhere since i don't have a car, and i do a kettlebell circuit on days i won't be able to make it to the academy, typically 3-4 a week. if you don't have a kettlebell, invest in one. just with a kettlebell and a few bodyweight techniques, you can keep yourself in very good shape compared to the meatheads at planet fitness.

i'm about 185, (used to be 240), though i'm not as lean as kid. the functional strength you stand to gain from throwing yourself into this art is unparalleled.

*also, i very rarely, if ever, run. running is much higher impact on my body than biking, so i'll normally do that. and the cardio i get from drilling takedowns is typically a good place to start.

MIZjitsZOU
04-12-2013, 07:56 AM
I have been hitting classes as frequently as I can. I want to get better and I am trying to get improve not only technically but also physically. My question is: I am 33 with good strength, quickness, and ok stamina. When I go against people of fairly equal experience I feel that my guard is passed to easily and on top I am swept to easily. Some of it is technique but some of it I feel as if I am stuck in the mud. It's like I just feel like I am either just stalling or not exploding. I definitely like being methodical (as opposed to constant irradic movement) but I don't technically do it well.

I know I was pretty vague, but does anyone have any suggestions to improve my game.

Repenter
04-13-2013, 11:25 AM
alright, well, i guess the best way to mentally approach this is saying that your 'style' will look like an electrocardiogram for the first two years. almost everyone, when they start out, uses too much strength and commits too much in their positions, (a good example is severely compromising your base by reaching for americanas from inside the guard, or something that has such a small percentage chance of success that no experienced grappler would go for it).

in reaction to getting tapped 10,000 times in their first two months, a lot of people will sort of 'shut down' their offense, clam up, and concentrate on nothing but defense and positioning. this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it sounds like what you're going through, and it's a good thing to go through. every time you're swept, you have a chance to see what's compromising your game. weight distribution? knee placement? proper hip control? are you controlling their arms? etc etc.

as far as your guard being passed, there is no limit to what can go wrong here. developing a good, postured, closed guard is the first thing, able to withstand those hellbows from an opponent on the inside of the knees. the problem is, in order to do anything at all, (submissions, sweeps, repositioning), you have to open your guard. specifically ask the instructors for classes on opponent control from the bottom. there are infinite subtleties like lapel control, overhooks/underhooks, feet on the hips, and lockdowns they will both physically and mentally control your opponent. i'd also suggest finding a good submission you have a reasonable higher percentage of completion at and specialize in that from guard. there are so many armbars, triangles, collar chokes, omoplatas, and any combination the four. for me, i'll work the overhook on their right arm a lot, and hold down their body with the high skyhook of my left leg. this leads me directly into omoplata position for the sweep 80% of the time, and the submission the other 20%, which can easily turn into a triangle or an armbar. most importantly, the natural flexibility and strength of my body lends a lot of power to this specific move, something that's taken me years to develop.

do yourself a favor and have a higher belt or instructor watch you roll for ten minutes, so that they can really quantify the holes in your game to you. after that, concentrate on a move that seems to work for you, and get really good at it.

MIZjitsZOU
04-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Thank you for the advice repenter!

lwbrewer
04-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Nice advice enjoyed reading specially get a move that will exit or lead into a sub making the chance more in your favor. It's been over a decade since I've grappled forgot a lot and didn't know a lot either. Being Military Police grappling was better than striking as it did not look good and got you in trouble striking people on duty. Had one big advantage most of the time I was subduing a drunk that seemed to make my technique look better.lol. Also left no marks after a few minutes:)
I always enjoyed the practice and was a great way to stay in shape that I felt I was getting something from it.

Sniggles
04-15-2013, 05:26 PM
I always think of M*A*S*H when you talk about the military police, LW.

TheKidInside
04-16-2013, 09:37 AM
I have been hitting classes as frequently as I can. I want to get better and I am trying to get improve not only technically but also physically. My question is: I am 33 with good strength, quickness, and ok stamina. When I go against people of fairly equal experience I feel that my guard is passed to easily and on top I am swept to easily. Some of it is technique but some of it I feel as if I am stuck in the mud. It's like I just feel like I am either just stalling or not exploding. I definitely like being methodical (as opposed to constant irradic movement) but I don't technically do it well.

I know I was pretty vague, but does anyone have any suggestions to improve my game.

drill more :)

Repenter
04-17-2013, 12:19 AM
kid's right. drill drill drill. you need to get that muscle memory programmed. armbar defense needs to be reflex and natural.

TheKidInside
04-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Muscle memory is important and depending on your trainer he should be instilling theory to you as well. I think Ryan Hall in his videos does the best job at this. He explains spine alignment, angles, pressure, torque, etc so you understand lever mechanics of armbars and shoulder locks as well as why chokes work and don't work.

I adopted his approach to my game too and I remember at least two matches where I pulled off some retarded moves because I understand the physics/physiology/anatomy of it. One was like a one armed kimura from the bottom where I snaked my arm/hand around the back of the shoulder and sort of muscled but also had the leverage to push the opponents HAND (not focusing on his arm) up his back for the tap...another was a no-gi ezikiel haha that was cool.

Repenter
04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
wait... so that kimura... did it look like you were reaching up for a guillotine with your arm on the far side of the head, then hook under the arm instead? i can see that working.

MIZjitsZOU
04-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Appreciate the Advice guys. I have been drilling really hard. I have been working on maintaining my guard spider guard and passing the guard. I think one thing that I really need to work on like you guys said was having the proper alignment and having the proper positioning. I also have been really working on using my whole body So not just using my legs when I'm in my guard but also being able to use my head position my body hands and legs all to combat my opponent.
Thanks again for the advice.

Repenter
04-18-2013, 11:19 PM
i've been out for a week with ringworm on my leg. i've been doing kettlebell circuits almost every day, but have so much energy to get out.

TheKidInside
04-19-2013, 09:58 AM
wait... so that kimura... did it look like you were reaching up for a guillotine with your arm on the far side of the head, then hook under the arm instead? i can see that working.

he's in my guard, i use my right arm/hand to sit up for the guillotine then hook it around his left arm (armpit area) as a lever, then use my left hand to push HIS RIGHT hand back and up his back. Using my RIGHT hand/arm as a lever to transfer the pressure into the shoulder. I muscled it a bit but the tap came from the lever.

I was obsessed with a video I saw of Ryan Hall when he uses his fist to finish off a triangle choke by blocking the carotid artery and get the tap.

Miz, yep, just keep thinking about your body holistically and you'll get there.

lwbrewer
04-20-2013, 06:06 PM
2nd time back here Miz sound like you got some great advice from these two. I'll stay out of the advice side, but read on the apple cider you can bath with it as it will help draw the soreness out of your body quart in the tub. Great for the skin too.
Also liked hating running do to high impact. My boy runs but practices running a hr a day on the trampoline. It's funny watching him shovel the snow off to do it, but I can say we get our moneys worth out of them.
Keep it up and good luck fellows

Dan
04-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Good to see a few more guys jumping in on this thread, some cool stuff going on.

I'm still out of training, and can't wait to get back there. I've got a meeting with a specialist regarding my knee in just over a week or so, and I'm not sure whether to wait a couple more weeks until after my physio appointment, or if I should go along this week and give it a go. I'm not experiencing any pain any more, but i'm not sure how it'll hold up. Itching to get back training!!

Sniggles
04-21-2013, 04:35 PM
My doctor said I shouldn't even be running until I get my MRI done. The BJJ coach of a gym I went to said it would be better for me to wait as well.

June 4th.

From reading about knee injuries, it feels like torn meniscus due to how it slips (turning on an angle or foot landing on wrong angle) and the pain level (none at all unless it is very cold outside or if it slips).

TheKidInside
04-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Good to see a few more guys jumping in on this thread, some cool stuff going on.

I'm still out of training, and can't wait to get back there. I've got a meeting with a specialist regarding my knee in just over a week or so, and I'm not sure whether to wait a couple more weeks until after my physio appointment, or if I should go along this week and give it a go. I'm not experiencing any pain any more, but i'm not sure how it'll hold up. Itching to get back training!!

wrap it really well, isolate the knee (wrap some athletic tape about 2-3 inches ABOVE your knee, around your quad/tfl/itb/hamstring), this will keep the kinetic force from your upper body to travel completely down into your knee/patella tendon which is a great thing. Don't run too much and do some drills/guard work/ PASSIVE ROLLING none of that "let's go light :turns on 100%:" nonsense

OR

just freaking wait :)

Repenter
04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
back into training tonight. nothing wakes you up like tim kennedy's d'arce chokes.

TheKidInside
04-25-2013, 04:17 PM
How'd it go?

Dan
04-27-2013, 02:08 PM
My doctor said I shouldn't even be running until I get my MRI done. The BJJ coach of a gym I went to said it would be better for me to wait as well.

June 4th.

From reading about knee injuries, it feels like torn meniscus due to how it slips (turning on an angle or foot landing on wrong angle) and the pain level (none at all unless it is very cold outside or if it slips).

Oh dude that's such a shame, I hope it turns out alright, sounds painful!

wrap it really well, isolate the knee (wrap some athletic tape about 2-3 inches ABOVE your knee, around your quad/tfl/itb/hamstring), this will keep the kinetic force from your upper body to travel completely down into your knee/patella tendon which is a great thing. Don't run too much and do some drills/guard work/ PASSIVE ROLLING none of that "let's go light :turns on 100%:" nonsense

OR

just freaking wait :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I've decided to wait. I'm getting really frustrated about not being able to actively exercise though. I've back riding to work (not pushing hard, taking it easy riding), but no running or jits now for the past month. I've been far more 'relaxed' with my diet (I'm still a fat boy inside) and have put on 4 or 5 lbs (which I'm not bothered by, because I'll shed those pretty easy when I can run again) and am about 158lbs now.

I never thought I'd miss exercise, but living in the UK, half of the year is rainy and grey, so I tend not to run too much, but we're getting beautiful weather here now, so all I want to do is get out and run!

lwbrewer
04-28-2013, 02:45 PM
If you have access to a pool try running in chest high water you want go far but tire you out without shocking any of your joints, and maybe some hoties there too:)

MIZjitsZOU
04-28-2013, 09:21 PM
If you have access to a pool try running in chest high water you want go far but tire you out without shocking any of your joints, and maybe some hoties there too:)

This right here is great advice. When I had hernia surgery I did a lot of swimming to get back into shape.

Dan
05-01-2013, 06:11 PM

This right here is great advice. When I had hernia surgery I did a lot of swimming to get back into shape.

Thanks man, I'm going to go swimming Friday after my meeting with the specialist, good advice. There'll definitely not be any hotties there though, because the 'open pool' time there on a Friday is the time that the local care homes take the really old people down, they just clutter the pool up, they are SO... BLOODY... SLOW.

Sniggles
05-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Went on a 26km walk the other day with my knee slipping only once. Hah.

Dan
05-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Went on a 26km walk the other day with my knee slipping only once. Hah.

Oh dude, that sounds horrible! Does it hurt?
I've just got back from the meeting with the specialist, and she's referred me on to have a scan taken of the knee, to look at the joint to see exactly what's going on in there. No closer to knowing exactly what the issue is / how to stop it recurring, but I've also had a GAIT analysis today (where they look at how you run) and I overpronate a lot when I walk. I'm ordering new running shoes today and inserts for my shoes, which SHOULD correct a lot of the issues I've been having.

Bank holiday this Monday in the UK, so I'm having a cheat weekend and getting all of my cravings for bad food out of my system, to start running/jits again on Monday. Missed it a LOT!

Sniggles
05-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Oh dude, that sounds horrible! Does it hurt?
I've just got back from the meeting with the specialist, and she's referred me on to have a scan taken of the knee, to look at the joint to see exactly what's going on in there. No closer to knowing exactly what the issue is / how to stop it recurring, but I've also had a GAIT analysis today (where they look at how you run) and I overpronate a lot when I walk. I'm ordering new running shoes today and inserts for my shoes, which SHOULD correct a lot of the issues I've been having.

Bank holiday this Monday in the UK, so I'm having a cheat weekend and getting all of my cravings for bad food out of my system, to start running/jits again on Monday. Missed it a LOT!

Hope those inserts work out for you, Dan. My knee may slip occasionally, but not nearly as often as it used to before I upgraded to Asics. I am flatfooted so I need a high arch running shoe/inserts.

Love the cheat days but my stomach feels it the next day. Been trying to eat a raw diet lately, with some setbacks but I will get better with what I eat over time. Problem is that I get annoying urges for salty foods. Been filling that with nuts, especially pistachios.

Generally, my slips hurt for 2 minutes then I walk it off. My slip happened after 15 km when fatigue started to set in. The slippage generally happens due to lack of mindfulness of adhering to proper form, so I corrected my form and continued to walk regardless and things were fine. I have found proper footwear is extremely important, something I didn't have to worry about when I was younger.

Steadily getting my leg strength back with bikram yoga, elliptical, squats, jogging and walking but am shying away from running as it puts too much stress on my knee. I can feel the meniscus after heavy workouts and take the next days easier. Gotta get my cardio in but I must stay mindful that I am not 100%.

Repenter
05-06-2013, 12:50 AM
How'd it go?

heh, just saw this. we have monster rolling tuesday nights, and rolling with tim is always an enlightening experience. colton smith is hosting a grappling tourni on the 18th i'm competing in here in austin, so i'll be drilling with them this week. all of the normal crew, (yves edwards, tim kennedy, colton smith, kamal shalorus), have fights coming up soon, so their training is very regimented and pretty rough.

Dan
06-12-2013, 06:13 AM
Hey guys.

I finally (after 8 weeks off) went back to training last week. I took it easy last week and just trained once, but I've been twice this week. Luckily I haven't had any kind of twinges or aches and pains, and I'm due to have an MRI on my knee on Friday.

Training's been going surprisingly well actually! I was expecting to be really rusty, but I've been running through techniques in my head (and on my girl) so to be honest a lot of the second-nature stuff is still in there, and I'm not back at square one like I thought I would be.

I've been rolling with a mate that started at the same time as me, so he's a pretty good measuring stick as to how far I've dropped back, and this week I've been 3-2 in taps in sparring, catching him twice with armbars and once with a pretty messy triangle-armbar.

My natural leg flexibility is definitely starting to do me some favours now. A lot of the guys at the gym said it would come in handy, but it's only really now that I'm holding my ground a bit in the gym that I really see how.

I find that setting up the armbar, getting a good solid mount, then moving into s-mount and attacking the arm is really working well for me. I can keep those legs really tight around each of my opponents shoulders/upper arms, pin my head tight to the ground and get a really secure position to set up the armbar.

Also from reverse scarf, stepping over into mount is something I've been able to surprise a few guys with, because they block with their leg, so I hook my toes, bring my knee against my chest and towards my chin, and step over. For the first time I've really been feeling like I'm adding some nice tools to my toolbox, as up until now I've had a number of basic techniques to go to, but haven't really had any go-to moves, or ones that give me particularly good results in sparring.

TN94z
06-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Nice stuff in here!

@Dan, I recently had meniscus surgery in December '12. I know what you mean about the knee issues. I actually injured it in the gym in January. I started taking some ibuprofen and bought some knee sleeves and fought through it. Then I saw a buddy who is a PT and he worked with me and it got better for a little while. One night in BJJ, I pivoted wrong or something (don't really know when it happened) and after class I could barely walk to the car. I finally went to a specialist and had an MRI and it was a meniscus tear. I had to get the torn piece removed.

I just ran pretty much pain free last week. I have been going to my muay thai and boxing classes with no issues for the most part. To be honest, my knee feels more solid the day after class than it does when I don't train. I just started back in BJJ last week and everything is good there so far as well. HOPEFULLY, I am close to being back 100%.

I have also decided to compete in BJJ since my step son does now. I think it would be cool for us to compete at the same tournaments.

MIZjitsZOU
06-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Good deal tn9! Glad To hear the knee is doing better. It will be awesome for you and your son to compete together. I competed in march for the first time. It was a lot of fun.

Went to no gi class last night and had a blast. Rolled with this beginner who is 6'7" and skinny. Showed him some triangle set ups. If he learns how to use those long limbs he will be dangerous as fuck.

TN94z
06-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Good deal tn9! Glad To hear the knee is doing better. It will be awesome for you and your son to compete together. I competed in march for the first time. It was a lot of fun.

Went to no gi class last night and had a blast. Rolled with this beginner who is 6'7" and skinny. Showed him some triangle set ups. If he learns how to use those long limbs he will be dangerous as fuck.

Thanks. There is still something not right. My knee cap is tracking correctly or something because it constantly pops when I bend it. But I can live with that!!

One of our friend's kid is 16 and is tall and lanky like that (he's not 6'7" though...WOW!). He takes Muay Thai with me and just started BJJ. He is a beast in Muay Thai! He understands his range and how to use it. He's gonna be tough once he learns BJJ as well.

Sniggles
06-13-2013, 05:12 PM
So basically, my MRI results are back. My doctor phoned to make an appointment. Does not seem like good news.

Surgery for me probably.

TN94z
06-14-2013, 08:43 AM
So basically, my MRI results are back. My doctor phoned to make an appointment. Does not seem like good news.

Surgery for me probably.

Did he tell you it wasn't good news because they will call you in for an appointment to go over the results regardless...they get to bill for that.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious my man.

Well, last night I had to roll with a guy that was 282lbs (down from 314 in the past month). Needless to say, it wasn't too much fun as I am only 185lbs. But I did manage to sweep him once and defend the arm bar....he tried for a couple minutes to get it but I had it locked down. He did end up getting me in a kimura, but he was so big I couldn't do much with him.

My second match was with a girl that I hadn't seen in there in a while. She was a 3 stripe white belt. I moved to mount and tapped her with an Ezekiel.

My 3rd match was with a 2 stripe blue belt. He got me in an Americana the first go round. The second time I took him down but he got me in half guard and he had a TIGHT half guard. I tried to get out but couldn't. So I decided to put some pressure on him with the Ezekiel choke (I know, I wasn't in mount but I didn't know a lot to do from there and it was wide open). So my plan was to put the pressure on him there in hopes of his half guard loosening. Once I got it in place, it got tight to my surprise. He tried to block with his chin which started putting pressure on his jaw. All the while I'm trying to get out of half guard but man he had my leg locked down! He tried to sweep a few times with no success. I'm thinking "Man am I really going to tap this 2 stripe blue belt! I was getting excited. His chin popped out and I then had the neck and I was getting anxious....I was also wearing out. He finally swept me and the time was up. But he told me afterwards that had he not swept me that time, he was gonna have to tap!

All in all I think it was a pretty good night for me considering I just started. The big guy was killer though. I almost tapped because I couldn't breathe with him on top.

MIZjitsZOU
06-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Good shit TN! How the fuck did you sweep that big boy? Scissor sweep?

TN94z
06-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Good shit TN! How the fuck did you sweep that big boy? Scissor sweep?

Thanks! I had him in guard and he stepped one leg up like he was going to stand and hooked that leg and used it to roll him. Within that transition he did something with his legs (not sure exactly what he did) but instead of ending up in his guard, I passed and hit knee on belly to mount. Now, it didn't take him long to sweep me obviously because I don't weigh anything to him, but I did get him.

Sniggles
06-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Did he tell you it wasn't good news because they will call you in for an appointment to go over the results regardless...they get to bill for that.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious my man.

High-grade ACL and meniscus tear.

Gotta wait 6 months for an Orthopedic Surgeon then another 2 for surgery.

I think I am gonna pay my way to the top of the line.

Free health care has its downfall with the waiting line.

TN94z
06-19-2013, 08:44 AM
High-grade ACL and meniscus tear.

Gotta wait 6 months for an Orthopedic Surgeon then another 2 for surgery.

I think I am gonna pay my way to the top of the line.

Free health care has its downfall with the waiting line.

Wow 8 months!! That is nuts! I don't know about the ACL but the meniscus is only like a 30-45 minute surgery and pretty minor.

That sucks man...sorry to hear that

Sniggles
06-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Wow 8 months!! That is nuts! I don't know about the ACL but the meniscus is only like a 30-45 minute surgery and pretty minor.

That sucks man...sorry to hear that

I hope to be in BJJ in a year!

My physician told me to stop jogging and keep doing yoga and weight-lifting.

Repenter
06-19-2013, 06:03 PM
got to train with tim kennedy and a couple other guys he brought along last night. one of them was andrew craig, who is fighting chris leben at UFC 162. he has UFC wins over kyle noke and rafael natal. he and i rolled for 7-8 rounds together and stalemated a lot. it was a good night.

and then tim beat the every loving piss out of me before giving me a few pointers on my omoplata sweep

MIZjitsZOU
06-23-2013, 09:10 AM
got to train with tim kennedy and a couple other guys he brought along last night. one of them was andrew craig, who is fighting chris leben at UFC 162. he has UFC wins over kyle noke and rafael natal. he and i rolled for 7-8 rounds together and stalemated a lot. it was a good night.

and then tim beat the every loving piss out of me before giving me a few pointers on my omoplata sweep

That sounds awesome and scary all in one moment. I remember picking noke to beat Craig and then watching him maul the ever loving shit out of noke. I think leben might be in for a long night.

At our open I watched a blue belt work on a sweep. They said it is catching fire bc one guy was rocking it. It starts in guard wit bottom guy in butterfly I think. The guy the inverts while going around the back and holding the belt and takes the guys back. Pretty bad ass move! Might not have explained it well. Anyone seen it?

I am getting back in shape. Running morning and night and hitting classes. The month of July I won't be teaching so I can hit day classes! Got a guy in an arm triangle yesterday. Forgot to walk left to get to a 90 and just tried to muscle it. Won't make that mistake again.

Repenter
06-23-2013, 10:16 PM
I was shocked how easily I was taking his back and gaining position. It's reaffirming of all the time I've spent rolling over the past six years. And a good thing we didn't start standing up...

Dan
08-17-2013, 11:07 AM
I haven't been on the board much of late, but I've been training pretty hard, and I've really hit a stride as of late.

I've developed a really active guard and feel quite comfortable on my back now. I'm not necessarily triangling and armbarring guys left right and centre, but I've been working hard on setting up sweeps from De La Riva, setting up scrambles, and keeping my opponent off balance and uncomfortable in my guard.

I've got a couple of weeks to kill now before starting a teacher training course, so I'll be training almost every day. Can't wait :)

How's training/competing been for you guys?

TN94z
08-20-2013, 11:31 AM
I hope to be in BJJ in a year!

My physician told me to stop jogging and keep doing yoga and weight-lifting.

Weight lifting? Do you squat? Do you do leg extensions on the machine? The reason I ask is because I tore mine doing leg extensions. I kept lifting the rest of the year until it bothered me so much I had to get an MRI. I think that actually made it worse...so be careful. If I was doing squats, make sure you don't go past parallel and if you do leg extensions, I would do reverse leg extension with a band instead.

I haven't been on the board much of late, but I've been training pretty hard, and I've really hit a stride as of late.

I've developed a really active guard and feel quite comfortable on my back now. I'm not necessarily triangling and armbarring guys left right and centre, but I've been working hard on setting up sweeps from De La Riva, setting up scrambles, and keeping my opponent off balance and uncomfortable in my guard.

I've got a couple of weeks to kill now before starting a teacher training course, so I'll be training almost every day. Can't wait :)

How's training/competing been for you guys?

My training is steadily going. Just putting in my time at the bottom. De La Riva is pretty nice. I haven't messed with it much because I want to focus on my sweeps and defense, etc...before worrying too much with my guard. I don't have a lot of success stories lately. I rolled with a 4 stripe purple that pretty much took me to school the other night though....haha!! It seems like every 20 seconds I was like "what was that? How did you get me there?" It was fun though.

My step son wants me to compete with him in a NAGA event in November, so that may happen. I don't know....don't want to embarrass myself

MIZjitsZOU
08-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Tn, don't worry about the Naga. You will do fine in your division. I did it and it was ok.

I am now back at school so my training is in a depression, as is myself. I want to go, but then say fuck it at the last minute. Haven't been in two weeks, since I added a stripe. Just need to say "fuck it" and go. I am also moving next Monday. Same town different house, but that has my attention. Plus I got two whipper snappers.

I like De la riva. When I was going strong a couple of weeks ago I was really working on arm drags from guard and passing with shelving a leg from top guard (I might have made up terms, fuck it I'm tired) Hopefully my motivation regains itself.

Sniggles
08-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Weight lifting? Do you squat? Do you do leg extensions on the machine? The reason I ask is because I tore mine doing leg extensions. I kept lifting the rest of the year until it bothered me so much I had to get an MRI. I think that actually made it worse...so be careful. If I was doing squats, make sure you don't go past parallel and if you do leg extensions, I would do reverse leg extension with a band instead.

No. I can't squat heavy weights with my knee being as it is. I do Kettlebell squats with my 35 lb KB though.

Just reaggravated the knee and am hobbling around at the moment. Hahaha.

TN94z
08-22-2013, 09:15 AM
No. I can't squat heavy weights with my knee being as it is. I do Kettlebell squats with my 35 lb KB though.

Just reaggravated the knee and am hobbling around at the moment. Hahaha.

I feel you on that one man. I went through that all last year. I would also invest in some knee sleeves if you don't have any. They really keep the warmth in the knee to keep everything loose. I wear them religiously now. I even wear the one on my knee that had surgery in my MMA training. Good luck man! I hope everything works out okay on that knee

TN94z
08-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Tn, don't worry about the Naga. You will do fine in your division. I did it and it was ok.

I am now back at school so my training is in a depression, as is myself. I want to go, but then say fuck it at the last minute. Haven't been in two weeks, since I added a stripe. Just need to say "fuck it" and go. I am also moving next Monday. Same town different house, but that has my attention. Plus I got two whipper snappers.

I like De la riva. When I was going strong a couple of weeks ago I was really working on arm drags from guard and passing with shelving a leg from top guard (I might have made up terms, fuck it I'm tired) Hopefully my motivation regains itself.

Probably right. The only thing I was thinking about was not having enough old men competing in my division and ending up with the young Bravo and Irvin prodigies that are straight out of the military....haha!

I like the guard too but I haven't messed with it much. There is a nice transition to back from De La Riva that I like though.

MIZjitsZOU
08-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Probably right. The only thing I was thinking about was not having enough old men competing in my division and ending up with the young Bravo and Irvin prodigies that are straight out of the military....haha!

I like the guard too but I haven't messed with it much. There is a nice transition to back from De La Riva that I like though.

Yeah you are right about the not enough old person thing. I was in the same boat. I did fine in gi, but got raped in no gi by a guy who looked like he was on prison release for the tournament. No gi definitely had more of the young bucks and with gi you can negate some of that pure athletisim.

TN94z
08-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Well, looks like my BJJ run is over. My wife just got out of nursing school and took a job which has her working nights. So this throws my training schedule way off. I will still be in Muay thai and boxing but BJJ just falls on the wrong nights. I hate it but it is what it is. The most important thing to me is that my step son still continues to train. I mean, I'm 35....I'm not looking to be the next big thing...haha! I'll just continue to train with him and as he gets older, it will be just like being in class pretty much.

Dan
08-26-2013, 05:40 PM

Hey man. I've actually had the same lack of motivation recently, and have been lacking discipline with my diet. Need to get my ass back in gear!

Abigailkop
08-28-2013, 03:12 PM
010 10679 00 used appliance stores britax double stroller nightline tomatic water bowl chess 3d phillips cd recorders how to make a costume replacement touchpad chocolate favors ˩`` Х (http://www.daming-porcelain.com/vans.html) sc1938 jane eye zing th58px60u shipping envelope tomobile radios ᥬ rӋ (http://www.mingtang474.cn/omega.html) fish tank office 2003 professional pl716s perfumes online product idea evaluator outerwear jackets pumpkinseeds contour abs Lؔ (http://www.sfhkj.com/chloe.html) ph testing methods 2 cd jewel case olympus c740uz review drinking bowl send me an angel real life

aussie_mma
09-05-2013, 08:36 AM
I definitely find it hard to stay motivated with BJJ from time to time, gets monotonous. i find a few weeks away helps a lot, generally i come back with a different perspective.

TN94z
09-05-2013, 09:21 AM
I may have found a temporary solution to my problem. I have been talking with my step son's teacher and he has some mats at his house. He says that he is looking for someone to do some extra training with on the weekends. So I think I will end up doing that since I can't make it to the weekly classes anymore. He is a pretty good blue belt, so I actually think this may even be better for me. One on one rolling with a good blue belt at least 2 times per week.....AND it's free! Now obviously I won't be getting stripes or belts from him, but I'm not to caught up in all of that at the moment. My main focus is to just get better right now.

Which brings me to a question. I know one of the main guys that runs one of our schools. If I train with this blue belt for a while and say he tells me "Man you are probably ready to be promoted," is it unheard of to go to the school owner and test with him to get promoted even though I haven't been in "his" class? I assume I may have to pay a small testing fee or something, but does that happen? I've never really thought about it before. It would actually be cool to continue training while my other training partners think I have quit....then show up later on with the next belt...haha