PDA

View Full Version : Gunnar Nelson vs Gsp

TheGoose
06-25-2012, 04:11 PM
So the guys i work with promoting mma are involved with the club Gunnar Nelson trains with and apparently last year Gunnar and Gsp had a few grappling matches behind closed doors and Gunnar tooled him in every one . Do you guys think this is possible?

Fedorlei Gomipierre
06-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Totally possible, I don't know about TOOLED, but it isn't outside of the realm of possibility.

IMO, when you take away strikes and an audience where the combat is meaningful for someone on GSP's level, one has to consider that GSP isn't an Abu Dhabi champion. Everybody loses in training and exhibitions one time or another, so I wouldn't put too much stock in this.

TheGoose
06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
true. Plus Gunnar is a beast and a bit of inside info for you Gunnar has just been offered a UFC contract.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
06-25-2012, 05:03 PM
It's about bloody time. Truthfully, had it not been for those 2 year and a half layoffs, I think he'd probably be there already. Wicked upside. I just hope they don't throw him in the deep end too early.

TheGoose
06-25-2012, 05:20 PM
I hope he decides to join them his dad is notoriously pushy as his manager he turned a deal down a few years back.

Sniggles
06-25-2012, 07:44 PM
true. Plus Gunnar is a beast and a bit of inside info for you Gunnar has just been offered a UFC contract.

He has been offered several. He has turned them down so that he has more time to develop. His camp already knows he has the potential to be a world-beater. I think Gunnar has more of a future in MMA than Rory McDonalds does.

I think Gunnar will be competing in 185 in a few years.

This kinda belongs in MMA Dream Matches.

dbader08
06-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Damn, you guys have me extremely interested in this guy. I know I've heard the name before, but never looked into him. Gonna check out his fights...

Sniggles
06-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Damn, you guys have me extremely interested in this guy. I know I've heard the name before, but never looked into him. Gonna check out his fights...

Check out his ADCC career thus far as well. He is from my native Iceland! I'm half Icelandic which is why I hopped on his bandwagon 2 years ago. He took some time from MMA to develop his skillset so as to not put too many combat miles on himself before stepping into the spotlight.

Gunnar was manhandling people at ADCC at 20 years old.

Rise
06-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Can he take a punch or kick though much less deliver one ?

TheGoose
06-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Yeah Gunnar is a beast and can take a punch. he will struggle with wrestlers who can keep a strong base and land GnP .

Sniggles
06-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Check his record and watch his fights. The answer is yes. Not as well as he would like, which is why he took the 2 year hiatus. Gunnar wants to be well-versed at everything before jumping into the mainstream rather than just being a one-trick pony like Phil Davis as him and his father realize this career has the potential to feed him for the rest of his days.

rabidsponge
06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Totally possible, I don't know about TOOLED, but it isn't outside of the realm of possibility.

IMO, when you take away strikes and an audience where the combat is meaningful for someone on GSP's level, one has to consider that GSP isn't an Abu Dhabi champion. Everybody loses in training and exhibitions one time or another, so I wouldn't put too much stock in this.

i agree, for someone who has been at the top of his sport for so long and fought in front of some of the biggest crowds, maybe someone like gsp doesnt get all fired up for a grappling match in someones gym as he would if there was any real significance to the match

IceCold48
06-26-2012, 10:11 PM

i checked his record hes undefeated with 6 subs and 3 knockouts.

Sniggles
06-27-2012, 01:36 PM
i agree, for someone who has been at the top of his sport for so long and fought in front of some of the biggest crowds, maybe someone like gsp doesnt get all fired up for a grappling match in someones gym as he would if there was any real significance to the match

In practice, you lose to get better. :confusedsmilie: Practice is where you try things that you don't know are possible to learn new things. Practice is not competitive, if you think it is you are doing it wrong.

Every fighter has their own intricacies and way of doing things, which is why you train with other people. Both GSP and Gunnar probably learned much from each other that day. To label a practice session as a win or a loss is wrong.

TheGoose
06-27-2012, 01:55 PM
In practice, you lose to get better. :confusedsmilie: Practice is where you try things that you don't know are possible to learn new things. Practice is not competitive, if you think it is you are doing it wrong.

Every fighter has their own intricacies and way of doing things, which is why you train with other people. Both GSP and Gunnar probably learned much from each other that day. To label a practice session as a win or a loss is wrong.

Very true i've heard of Gunnar being on the end of some damage in boxing training too but he has always looked sharp come fight time