PDA

View Full Version : Five Things UFC Fans Hate About The UFC

XxChAoS32xX
06-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Pretty good read, judging is a big snub but overall not bad for a videogame website

Five Things UFC Fans Hate About The UFC

We love our sports, but there are always things we hate about them.

I'm around the UFC more often than not. Aside from all the reading and writing I do pertaining to the UFC I'm also a huge fan who has gripes just like the rest of you.

With my finger on the pulse of the UFC community, here are five things that you the fan have continuously told me you hate about the UFC.

Honorable Mentions:
UFC Referee Kim Winslow
Talks of Fedor Coming to the UFC
UFC on FOX Theme Music
Urijah Faber's "butt-chin"
Jon Anik (UFC/FOX Commentator)

5. Hearing Fans Boo When A Fight Goes To The Ground
I understand people throw down a ton of money to watch a UFC fight in person. Fans, both old and new, need to realize that every fight is not going to be a slugfest. Some of the best fights to watch are those in which the guys are countering each other on the ground.

If you are eight beers deep and can't see what's going on inside the Octagon then I understand why you're booing. It appears boring. You want the guys dropping bombs on one-another. However, for the fans that understand the sport you know better. You know when guys are just stalling on the ground and you can respect the art of the ground game when you see a battle for position.

More often than not, however, the crowd starts booing whenever a fight goes to the ground and stays there for more than two minutes.

Again, if nothing is going on then they should be stood up. Just remember, this isn't boxing, MMA is a very complex sport that has a ton of subtle arts to it which impact each fight greatly.

4. Comparisons To Boxing
This goes to both boxing fans and MMA fans.

On nearly every UFC sports story that hits a notable sports website, the comments always lead to why boxing is dying. There is no mention of boxing in the article, but some bonehead will post something mature such as UFC>Boxing. The whole conversation derails from the article and people go back and forth about what's better.

Breaking news: Both sports can co-exist and are entirely different. MMA is not going to kill boxing, if boxing does die it will because of its own doing.

The sport of boxing isn't going anywhere. Both sports will complement each other for many years to come.

3. Early Stoppages
Early stoppages infuriate fans and immediately provide a buzz kill to an otherwise exciting fight.

The best referees in the UFC are Herb Dean, Josh Rosenthal, Dan Miragliotta, Ives Lavigne, and John McCarthy (although McCarthy works UFC fights very infrequently nowadays).

If one of those five referees is not working a fight, the chances for some sort of bad stoppage increases exponentially. Heck, even with those great refs in the Octagon there is a chance we will see something that kills an otherwise great night of fights.

2. Pay-Per-View Fees
The cost to order a UFC PPV is now $60. If you order it in standard definition I think it's about $5 less expensive.

"Back in the day" when the cost to order the fights were less expensive and there weren't as many UFC events, it was justifiable to order just about everyone.

Now even the hardcore fans are having a hard time keeping up with the costs to order every UFC PPV event especially considering many times there will be two PPV's within the same cable/satellite billing cycle.

There are other options:
Head to your local Buffalo Wild Wings (or other sports bar) and pay a $10 cover.
If you aren't able to watch it live, don't order it and record. Just purchase it the following day and save about $12.
If you are lucky enough to have a UFC Gym near you (Los Angeles area and Hawai'i) you can walk in and watch the fights for free (as of this writing).
Of course you can always have friends over and split the cost how every many ways you can depending on who shows up.

1. Injuries
Injuries have plagued just about every card so far this year in the UFC. It has been so bad that last week Dana white encouraged fighters to lighten up a little bit in camp and not be so intense.

Injuries are so frequent that when a fight card is announced most fans reserve some excitement because they anticipate somebody to pull out due to an injury.

God help the UFC if either Anderson Silva or Chael Sonnen break a bone within the next week.

Sometimes it's hard to say you hate something about the sport you love. Here's your chance to vent. What do you hate about the MMA and the UFC?

Kimbo> Rampage
06-28-2012, 04:05 AM
have to agree with those. Judgeing should be mentioned as well, but that is also the sport of mma in general..

Early stoppages are a big one.

Y2JUBAE
07-02-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't think fans boo when it goes to the ground anymore as long as there is action, someone working for a finish rather than working on scoring points by controlling the opponent and not letting him move.

IceCold48
07-02-2012, 11:09 PM
why is jon anik therE? hes better than goldie and florian.

one thing that REALLY annoys me is that at some venues when they chant U-S-A when both guys are fucking American but one is of latino or asian decent.

also the lack of stalling calls and how could this article not mention the horribleness that is MMA judging?

it was a good read thouhg all of the top 5 things are very true however the booing when the fight hits the ground depending on the venue

Sniggles
07-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Judging is the number one issue. Fail!!!!

Pasha K
07-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Those things are valid except for the comparison with boxing, I do not care at all about that.

Things I "hate" about the UFC:

- Dana White, specially when he is talking about other orgs, fighters outside of Zuffa and overhyping B level fighters that are in UFC.

- Zuffa overhyping their cards saying that "This card is so fucking insane and great" when reality it is nothing special.

- Rogan's biase towards certain fighters.

- Overrated Arianny Celeste

- Zuffa's way of hyping events. Instead of hyping it as Martial Arts, they hype the whole thing as "These guys hate eachother, so this will be a war"

- Fans that scream and show their tongue like idiots having some dumb ugly blond chick next to them that is also screaming.

- Entrance music of 95% of the fighters.

-I also think that Lenne Hardt is better than Bruce Buffer but he is not bad.

Those are the main things.

The Donosaur
07-05-2012, 01:19 AM

one thing that REALLY annoys me is that at some venues when they chant U-S-A when both guys are fucking American but one is of latino or asian decent.

also the lack of stalling calls and how could this article not mention the horribleness that is MMA judging?

it was a good read thouhg all of the top 5 things are very true however the booing when the fight hits the ground depending on the venue

I also dislike the whole USA thing for 2 americans. For some reason it also bothers me when a guy has his countries flag with him post fight. I guess I thinl its disrespectful to the country that is currently hosting you, and allowing you to earn a paycheck. Not the most rational complaint, but a complaint none the less.

Sniggles
07-05-2012, 08:26 AM
I don't mind the flag thing. But I most certainly do not enjoy the patriotic chants and booing of fighters from other countries that is prevalent in American shows, as it is far, far more disrespectful then a symbolic piece of cloth. Sure, it does happen in other countries but to me it is a very low-brow form of pride which I do not like.

Ramma
07-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Did you just say Jon Anik is better than something? He's on the Gus Johnson level of sport knowledge. He's just as annoying too. The difference between Gus and Jon is that Gus will try to make you believe he is an expert. Anik is terrible. Florian as his partner doesn't help.

UFC on Fox/FX... That's what I hate.

SimpleJack
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
5. TUF - it's a product placement frat-party at best these days.

4. Dana White's attempts to make himself a bigger star than the guys doing the work and constant trashing of both "his" fighters and those from other promotions ("Do you wanna be a fucking fighter?" No, dickhead I just travelled all the way here and got my head pounded on for fifteen minutes so that you could come in here and give your stupid ass catch-phrase....can I go home now?).

3. The PPV business model- I know it is working and has worked...I get it. I just hate it. You're asking for $54.95 to watch 1-2 fights that are worth mentioning (even though I thought a few were solid cards). I hate it with boxing and I hate it with MMA. It gets even more annoying when the UFC brass bashes fans and says they don't know what they're seeing or talking about. Even if that's true in some cases, fans pay for a product.

2. The UFC's (and US rules in general) lack of a system to stop the "human blanket" approach. I'm sure some folks will absolutely nuke me for saying this but I still love the ring and yellow card system. It allows fans to see different techniques and REQUIRES fighters to constantly look for a finish or improvement in position.

1. A real ranking system; not the "flavor of the month club." I recently told Sakara that I didn't really care about having a clear title picture; that wasn't entirely true. I think the top 5 need to be clear and concise with title shots given to those deserving rather than those in favor. I love slugfests and catchweight battles but bringing in guys and giving them an immediate shot or after one fight, it's ridiculous (unless it's a reigning champion from another org. in a "unification" style fight like Reem, Shields, etc.)

KevoOnTheRadio
07-05-2012, 05:21 PM
UFC on Fox/FX... That's what I hate.

Bingo

disposableassassin
07-05-2012, 05:24 PM
In no particular order:

When people refer to refs as UFC refs. Like the UFC employs their own refs. These guys ref for every org. (not really the UFC's fault but it's irritating)

Drinking on tuf. Shut up and fight already.

Dan hardy losing four in a row and not being cut. Out grappled by GSP and AJ, out struck by condit, out struck and out grappled by Lytle.

The UFC hype machine and the people who subscribe to it.

That stupid theme song. Not only does the song just plain suck but the tag line "as real as it gets"?!?!?!? I beg to differ. War, mass genocide, fighting without; rules, coaches, cutmen, refs, time limits. That's as real as it gets.

Luc1an
07-05-2012, 06:43 PM
This would be my list i guess (if anyone cares)

-Gameplans: Guys used to go out there and just fight, sure youd try to stand up vs a bjj guy and try to put a striker on his back, but Condit vs Diaz was a fucking joke. That and every one of GSP last 5 or 6 fights.

-TUF: Enough already, you are scraping the bottom of the talent barrel, none of the winners of TUF since like season 3 or 4 have done crap in the UFC.

-Judging: nuff said

-Referees: nuff said

-Dana White: hypocrite and a weasely lil angry man.

-Too many PPV: 2-3 Per month is way too many. Fight cards used to be stacked with like 4 or 5 good, well known fights. Now were lucky to get one per card. (see ufc 149).
I like seeing up and coming talent but not when they are 2 or 3 of the 5 fights on the main card...

-Top fighters dont fight enough: with the exception of JJ, all big name fighters just fight like 2 times a year. (Everyone should be like Jeremy Horn haha)

-Greg Jackson: nuff said (also see #1)

Im sure ive got lots more but this is all i can think of right now lol

RearNakedStroke
07-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Decent list. I would replace early stoppages with the judging, which is actually more of a problem with the athletic commissions though it does effect the UFC.

I've always said I'd much rather see an early stoppage than a late stoppage. They can be kind of a bummer sometimes, but meh.

Pasha K
07-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Damn, how could I forget about the USA chants????

I mean, in the Fedor-Monson fight, fans were screaming "Russia!! Russia!!". It is as pathetic as chanting USA!! USA!!, but damn, it was the only fight where I have heard Russia chants.
In UFC it happens everytime an american fighter is fighting a foreign.

Now that I remember, during the Couture-James Toney fight fans were not screaming "Randy!! Randy!!", they were screaming "UFC!!! UFC!!!"

The Donosaur
07-08-2012, 09:46 PM
This would be my list i guess (if anyone cares)

-Gameplans: Guys used to go out there and just fight, sure youd try to stand up vs a bjj guy and try to put a striker on his back, but Condit vs Diaz was a fucking joke. That and every one of GSP last 5 or 6 fights.

-TUF: Enough already, you are scraping the bottom of the talent barrel, none of the winners of TUF since like season 3 or 4 have done crap in the UFC.

-Judging: nuff said

-Referees: nuff said

-Dana White: hypocrite and a weasely lil angry man.

-Too many PPV: 2-3 Per month is way too many. Fight cards used to be stacked with like 4 or 5 good, well known fights. Now were lucky to get one per card. (see ufc 149).
I like seeing up and coming talent but not when they are 2 or 3 of the 5 fights on the main card...

-Top fighters dont fight enough: with the exception of JJ, all big name fighters just fight like 2 times a year. (Everyone should be like Jeremy Horn haha)

-Greg Jackson: nuff said (also see #1)

Im sure ive got lots more but this is all i can think of right now lol

YEAH! Thinking is stupid!