PDA

View Full Version : Silva contemplating vacating middleweight title, move to welterweight to fight GSP

Cat--Smasher
08-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Anderson Silva contemplating vacating middleweight title, move to welterweight to fight Georges St. Pierre

Here's one way to solve the 185-pound problem the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is having -- have the champion vacate the title and move down to become a 170-pound problem.

That's apparently a move Middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva is considering now that the list of contenders in the weight class he's owned for six years now is less than appetizing. During a recent edition of Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer revealed a conversation he had with higher ups at the UFC who told him he could reveal a few possibilities that could play themselves out in the future, likely sometime next year.

This is all subject to change, of course, but apparently, "The Spider" is kicking around the notion of vacating the middleweight title and moving down to welterweight to challenge division champion Georges St. Pierre for a superfight we know the promotion is already hoping to put together assuming "Rush" is able to defeat Carlos Condit when they tussle at UFC 154 in November.

That would free up the middleweight strap to a whole host of contenders who would no longer be under the long shadow cast by Silva, the greatest pound-for-pound fighter of all time.

Interestingly enough, that could also be the reason Lyoto Machida came into his UFC on Fox 4 bout against Ryan Bader weighing just 201-pounds. He was a lean, mean ass-kicking machine and his knockout victory was so impressive, he earned a light heavyweight title shot with it.

But he may have his eyes set on the belt Silva currently has around his waist.

Now that Machida has earned a shot at the 205-pound title, plans have either changed or been put on hold. Assuming "The Dragon" loses to Jon Jones in a rematch, or Dan Henderson if he wins the belt at UFC 151 in Las Vegas, that would finally free him up to switch weight classes.

There's no telling whether or not any of that will happen, but it's something to consider.

Report: Anderson Silva contemplating vacating middleweight title, move to welterweight to fight Georges St. Pierre - MMAmania.com (http://www.mmamania.com/2012/8/7/3226663/report-anderson-silva-vacate-middleweight-title-welterweight-georges-st-pierre-fight-ufc)

disposableassassin
08-08-2012, 04:23 AM
WTF?!? A cut to 170? If he wins I bet he retires.

Cat--Smasher
08-08-2012, 04:27 AM
Sounds pretty crazy. That would be one hell of a weight cut...

But I am not to sure of the source yet hence why it was noob jacked. Meltzer's news letter also claimed Brock punched some WWE guy but wrestling fans say it is not true.

disposableassassin
08-08-2012, 05:02 AM
Yeah that would be nuts. I would def have to believe that if there is any validity to this story then this would be a one time deal. At his size and age I doubt his body could handle a cut like that too many times.

optimusjoel
08-08-2012, 05:19 AM
If he can make the cut and win the fight and retire, I will concede and declare him current Goat.

disposableassassin
08-08-2012, 05:24 AM
If he can make the cut and win the fight and retire, I will concede and declare him current Goat.

I might can concede to that. Maybe.......

ichibabythecancrushe
08-08-2012, 05:25 AM

me 2 i stiil dont understand why not go to lhw. now i believe he might be trying to pad the rest of his career

Cat--Smasher
08-08-2012, 06:19 AM

Shit imagine Anderson made the cut, won the fight, vacated the belt and took at shot at LHW champ (most likely Jones)... That would be one bad ass mutha fucka

Pasha K
08-08-2012, 06:50 AM
This may sound crazy but I think GSP has good chances of beating Anderson. He is an awesome wrestler and very very smart. In the stand up he would get tooled, but he may take Anderson down and hold him there for 5 rounds.

CtGreat
08-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Anderson's cardio would suffer terriably at 170....

Sniggles
08-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Shit imagine Anderson made the cut, won the fight, vacated the belt and took at shot at LHW champ (most likely Jones)... That would be one bad ass mutha fucka

That would be the best course of action for the UFC and his legacy. Those two fights would generate a minimum of 125 million dollars.

disposableassassin
08-08-2012, 08:57 AM
It would go a long way in making up for Anderson seeming uninterested in fighting his challengers. I didn't want to see GSP fight him at middleweight at all really. Anderson would be taking many risks cutting down to 170. IMO the only hole in his game is wrestling, like TDD. You know what Anderson is going to do. There will be no threat of a takedown. GSP mixes everything up so well. If st Pierre can survive the first two rounds, as ct said, I think the weight cut would factor in and Anderson would start to fade. Especially if he is fending off TD's.

Like someone else mentioned if he beat GSP at 170 and then jones at 205 and then retired that would indeed be badass. At that point I wouldn't see how anyone could argue GOAT status.

Sniggles
08-08-2012, 09:55 AM
GSP vs. Jon Jones!

Rise
08-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Though it's just more talk of a match that will likely never happen...

I'd be very surprised if Silva did make the move to 170 even though i think he can it's not in his best interest. GSP not having to bulk up if they met 185 lets him keep all of he athleticism he might lose otherwise which is a big part of his game.

YukonJordan
08-08-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure how a longtime dominant champion with no strong signs of being dethroned anytime soon vacating the belt and moving down a weight class can be viewed as career progression. What's he going to do after GSP, there's plenty more interesting fights at higher weightclasses for Anderson at this point.

KevoOnTheRadio
08-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Silva fears Weidman. Obviously.

I'm hoping Hendo beats Jones. I'd rather see them fight at 195 lbs rather then Silva go down to WW and beat smaller fighters.

CtGreat
08-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Silva fears Weidman. Obviously.

I'm hoping Hendo beats Jones. I'd rather see them fight at 195 lbs rather then Silva go down to WW and beat smaller fighters.

Silva fears Weidman but he's brave enough to cut 15 more pounds than usual and fight the greatest WW of all time at 170 even though he is 37? It seems way more risky to drop weigh and fight a cardio whore like GSP then it does to fight the still relatively inexperienced Wiedman.

MMAtt
08-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Silva fears Weidman but he's brave enough to cut 15 more pounds than usual and fight the greatest WW of all time at 170 even though he is 37? It seems way more risky to drop weigh and fight a cardio whore like GSP then it does to fight the still relatively inexperienced Wiedman.

I wouldn't consider choosing to fight a smaller guy coming off of major knee surgery brave, brave would be going up in weight and fighting the larger LHW fighters and someone in Bones who could end up as the GOAT(I hope not tho)

lwbrewer
08-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Kevo can speak for himself, but I took it as a joke and a good one from Kevo.
The way I see it Silva doesn't want to interfear with the dragon. Drop down theirs only one fight there, and thats GSP only after Machida fails at 205 again. Machida has a excellent chance at 185. For Silva beat GSP than move to 205 if Machida wins 185, and not fight Jones rightaway take a few other fights. I believe if Soares doesn't think Silva has great odds at beating Jones he won't risk it for his legacy

KevoOnTheRadio
08-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Kevo can speak for himself, but I took it as a joke and a good one from Kevo.

I thought the joke was obviously obvious.

disposableassassin
08-08-2012, 07:41 PM
I thought the joke was obviously obvious.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/ryans109/lol%20internets/well-obviously.jpg

roaddawg
08-08-2012, 10:39 PM

Being the best fighter in MMA should be good enough.

dan the man 67
08-08-2012, 11:33 PM
I don't get this talk of moving to WW at all............he's already fought very successfully at LHW twice, and it is a much more natural direction for him to go in.

I truly believe that Anderson feels he has a much better shot beating GSP at WW than he does beating Jones at LHW, why else would he keep talking about it?

As already mentioned in an earlier post, GSP has exactly the tools to beat Silva at WW. GSP's TDs are about as effective as Sonnens, which is to say the best in the business, but GSP's ground tools are so much better than Sonnen's.

Silva: less talk, more action. I don't think you are luring GSP up to MW or catchweight, so shut the fuck up and make your move.......... I am tired of reading about this topic already.

IceCold48
08-08-2012, 11:47 PM
He's scared of Weidman and wants only big money fights. I knew he'd do this hes been calling out Gsp forever and has stated in the past that he can make 170.

My thing here is that silva should not get an immediate title shot as Gsp hasn't cleared out the division by any means. I'd be all for silva vs Diaz.

IceCold48
08-08-2012, 11:51 PM

I do beleive he fears honing the sense that he sees it as a lose lose as it is a bad matchup vs a much younger stronger guy. If he wins no one will care if he loses everyone will care that's what I think he is afraid of.

Cat--Smasher
08-09-2012, 03:27 AM
Herman: Silva is ducking Weidman - Mixed Martial Arts News (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/415897/Herman-Silva-is-ducking-Weidman/)

"Anderson's trying to duck him. I think it's 'cause Weidman can beat him and everyone knows it. It sucks, there's politics involved, there's a lot of money on the line, and it's sad to see the No. 1 contender not get a shot because Anderson's camp is choosing who he wants to fight.

I'd like to see Weidman get a shot because I think he can take out Anderson Silva."

VimyRidge
08-09-2012, 04:15 AM

I don't think he is serious, just a ploy to get people to stop thinking/talking about him fighting/ducking Jones.

When I saw the start of the title, I thought he was moving up to LHW, I was impressed, but kept reading and... same old Anderson.

joeodd2
08-09-2012, 05:07 AM
I don't think it would be healthy for a man his age to do such a thing.....I sincerely hopes he doesn't. Win or lose, it could ruin him.

Scared of Wiedman?

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4944848039642897&id=acc246982fa9452b85ab5fc43acaec31

Oh Shit The Jigs Up!

roaddawg
08-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Silva: less talk, more action. I don't think you are luring GSP up to MW or catchweight, so shut the fuck up and make your move.......... I am tired of reading about this topic already.

Who is really doing the talking Silva or his camp?

Also so let me gets this straight lol... Silva who wants to fight GSP (whom many has considered GOAT and whose been equally dominant) makes him afraid of Weidman?

Lets also pretend that this isnt a fight that Silva's camp has wanted for years before anyone even gave a fuck about Weidman... Yall are too much lol...

Kimbo> Rampage
08-09-2012, 04:35 PM
He's scared of Weidman and wants only big money fights. I knew he'd do this hes been calling out Gsp forever and has stated in the past that he can make 170.

What if Weidman was a big money fight? I think it has more to do with him wanting a big fight than being "scared" of him. Sure he does have a nice stylistic clash with AS but it would be foolish to act as though he is scared of Weidman, then ask for a fight with GSP who is clearly more dangerous, no matter what way you cut it... Even being smaller.

dan the man 67
08-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Who is really doing the talking Silva or his camp?

I don't hear Silva coming out and disputing what his camp is saying. When you have representatives, and they communicate to the media on your behalf, should we now start to assume that the fighter doesn't really support what his own camp is saying?

hass
08-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Hmm...remember when Couture got older he went up in weight fighting guys bigger than him? And that was after he was getting beat at LHW. (Granted the HW division was weaker at the time). So then, remember when Royce Gracie was arguably the best in the world? He always fought guys bigger than him.

Fight the best - Bulk up, move up. I, for one, do not want to see an exhausted Anderson fighting at 170. Be the best by fighting the best. That's in the next weight class at LHW, not welterweight! I wonder what Bruce Lee would have done?

dan the man 67
08-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Fight the best - Bulk up, move up. I, for one, do not want to see an exhausted Anderson fighting at 170.

And I don't want to see an outsized GSP fighting someone who is 25lbs heavier than him on fight night........

Sniggles
08-10-2012, 12:00 AM
I don't hear Silva coming out and disputing what his camp is saying. When you have representatives, and they communicate to the media on your behalf, should we now start to assume that the fighter doesn't really support what his own camp is saying?

Silva doesn't speak English. Give him a break!

roaddawg
08-10-2012, 01:19 AM

What you shouldn't do is make assumptions and assume they are on the same page (it wouldn't be the 1st time Silva was at odds with his camp).

Either way you chop it up thinking Silva is taking an easy way out by fighting GSP over Weidman is just stupid especially when you consider the skillsets between Weidman and GSP (whose been a dominant champion for quite some time now). GSP is no cake walk nor is he even an easier fight.

Infact I think GSP would wipe the floor with Wiedman.

Dana strongly considered having these two fight along time ago anyways if both GSP and Silva beat their opposition... well guess what the only thing stopping that fight from happening is GSP losing to Condit.

Sniggles
08-10-2012, 01:31 AM
GSP would indeed trounce Weidman.

I don't think we will hear about Silva's next fight until after GSP/Condit.

IceCold48
08-10-2012, 01:35 AM
What if Weidman was a big money fight? I think it has more to do with him wanting a big fight than being "scared" of him. Sure he does have a nice stylistic clash with AS but it would be foolish to act as though he is scared of Weidman, then ask for a fight with GSP who is clearly more dangerous, no matter what way you cut it... Even being smaller.

my point is that there is a chance he loses to weidman its not a good matchup for him and a much tougher one then anyone in the past few years outside of sonnen.

therefore, since a fight with weidman isnt a big money fight it is pointless for him. if he loses it will be all over the news if he wins no one will care and he wont get nearly as much money as if he fights gsp regardless if he wins or loses against gsp.

silva is scared of the threat weidman poses and the risk reward factor is not in his favor. i guaruntee if dana said the only way you can fight gsp is if you fight weidman first he would still say no.

CtGreat
08-10-2012, 01:58 AM
And I don't want to see an outsized GSP fighting someone who is 25lbs heavier than him on fight night........

GSP vs Penn 2 says hi

roaddawg
08-10-2012, 05:29 AM
silva is scared of the threat weidman poses and the risk reward factor is not in his favor. i guaruntee if dana said the only way you can fight gsp is if you fight weidman first he would still say no.

Much like Shogun refusing to fight Glover, or Dan Henderson holding out to fight Jon Jones I can't say I blame Silva for holding out to fight GSP (which was a fight he wanted way before Weidman was even considered a contender).

If it don't make dollars it don't make (pun intented).

If I was Dana I would make Rashad fight Weidman and the winner fights the winner of Vitor vs Belcher. Weidman basically needs to beat a bigger name than Munoz.

VimyRidge
08-15-2012, 11:40 PM
If I was Dana I would make Rashad fight Weidman and the winner fights the winner of Vitor vs Belcher. Weidman basically needs to beat a bigger name than Munoz.

I actually agree with roaddawg on this one, Munoz is not that impressive a win, he got Ko'd by a guy Bisping out pointed.

Y2JUBAE
08-16-2012, 02:29 AM

I agree, and it would probably do the ppv buys a favor if Weidman fought someone with a bigger name to build his own. Put it as the main event or co-main event for a ppv, Rashad would be perfect, but he wants to get one more win at LHW before moving down I believe. Chael would have been great but he's moving up.

Fe1
08-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Anderson vacates the title, drops to welterweight, loses to GSP (or Condit) and retires with a blemished UFC record... Hey, a guy can dream right?

Y2JUBAE
08-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Not sure why so many give Melzer credit. he's no different than any other rumor website, if there is no news, he will make it up. He did with pro-wrestling, now he has leeched on to mma. Can't stand the guy.