PDA

View Full Version : Hopkins/Winky on at 170!

Afro
02-04-2007, 03:42 PM
http://boxingtalk.com/pag/article11202.html

JimmyMoore
02-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Damn Damn Damn I hope this fight happens! I'm so fucking tired of hearing about Winky Wright.

Afro
02-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Then why hope this fight happens? Winky is gonna take it.

Luis Cruz
02-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Yea i heard this a couple days ago, it might have been on FNF. It's not signed yet so i'm not getting excited. When it's inked and we have an official presser for it then i'll be more excited. If it happens, i hope (and actually fully expect) Hopkins to school him at 170lbs. I've always thought Winky was overrated because of his long armed defense. I never thought he was as great as they made him out to be. This fight will show everything. Hopkins is a master and will find a way around it. Their styles could be looked at as a borefest waiting to happen because no one will commit as they're both pretty good counter punchers. But i'm hoping the aggressive Hopkins that fought Tarver shows up so that don't happen.

JimmyMoore
02-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Then why hope this fight happens? Winky is gonna take it.

haha No sir. BHop is takin him to school son.

Afro
02-04-2007, 05:17 PM
haha No sir. BHop is takin him to school son.
I dont think so IMO he beat Taylor, and I think he will beat Bhop as well.. a prime Bhop woulda beaten a prime Winky, but as of right now IMO best finese boxer is Winky, not Bernard and Winky will win this but I cant wait for it I wanna see two finese boxers go at it its not boring to me. This is like a HW bout IMO, HWs of counter-punching ya know? if this doesnt get huge PPV buys that damn..

masque
02-04-2007, 10:44 PM
BHop is coming out of retirement? I thought he was done after beating Antonio Tarver.

Buggedoutnicy
02-05-2007, 04:40 PM
man b-hop is my idol homie said he retiring after 40 a promise he made to his momma. But if he fights winky that going to be an exciting match. i"ll give it to b-hop on this 1

JimmyMoore
02-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Hopkins has confirmed that he signed his half of the contract to fight Winky on July 21!

Punk Ass
02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I dont think so IMO he beat Taylor, and I think he will beat Bhop as well.. a prime Bhop woulda beaten a prime Winky, but as of right now IMO best finese boxer is Winky, not Bernard and Winky will win this but I cant wait for it I wanna see two finese boxers go at it its not boring to me. This is like a HW bout IMO, HWs of counter-punching ya know? if this doesnt get huge PPV buys that damn..

I agree 100% Hopkin's is too old, doesn't have the explosiveness any more and paces himself a lot more now.

I agree a prime Hopkins' would have beaten Winky in a very good fight, but not now.

People give Tarver too much credit and in turn overate Hopkins. Hopkins is one of the best fighters ever but that way he dismantled Tarver just shows how much RJJ's skills have depleated and the horrible state of the LHW division. Tarver was never that good and any of the better MWs can beat him.

I say that to say Winky is too good at this point to lose to a older, slower, allthough very skilled hopkins. Winky just doesn't lose :confusedsmilie:

Salvy_Mic
02-21-2007, 12:20 AM
The tagline for this PPV ought to be something like "Checkmate" or something chess-related, because that's what this fight is gonna be, a chess match.

Punk Ass
02-21-2007, 09:40 AM
The tagline for this PPV ought to be something like "Checkmate" or something chess-related, because that's what this fight is gonna be, a chess match.

Accually, i think this is going to be a war. Even though Winky has no power, he punches with intention. I think it's going to be an inside war with Winky barely winning small exchanges because of age.

Luis Cruz
02-21-2007, 10:53 AM
I think this could become a very boring fight depending on how Hopkins comes out. And until he shows me he's old i won't assume anymore that he will get old overnight, he keeps proving me wrong. He fought a good 12 rounds with Tarver and even though i always said Tarver was overrated Hopkins still brought and showed he can fight for 12 rounds. I think Winky is vastly overrated as well and i believe Hopkins will once again play spoiler in someone's career and expose him at 170lbs. I have never been a fan of Hopkins but respected his skills, if he owns Winky i will officially be a fan. lol

Punk Ass
02-21-2007, 01:23 PM
I think this could become a very boring fight depending on how Hopkins comes out. And until he shows me he's old i won't assume anymore that he will get old overnight, he keeps proving me wrong. He fought a good 12 rounds with Tarver and even though i always said Tarver was overrated Hopkins still brought and showed he can fight for 12 rounds. I think Winky is vastly overrated as well and i believe Hopkins will once again play spoiler in someone's career and expose him at 170lbs. I have never been a fan of Hopkins but respected his skills, if he owns Winky i will officially be a fan. lol

:blink: Winky overated? How? Don't get me wrong, I hate his style, it's boring, no pazazz, and he has no power, which was why he was reltively unoticed until he fought Trinidad, but the man handled Tito, arguably beat a prime Vargas, Kicked Shane Mosley's ass, went toe to toe with Taylor, beat snot out of Ike, and hasn't lost since 1999. what the hell does the man have to do??

If this was MMA, people would say he was the P4P best, like some do for a very less accomplished Chuck Lidell.

Luis Cruz
02-21-2007, 01:53 PM
:blink: Winky overated? How? Don't get me wrong, I hate his style, it's boring, no pazazz, and he has no power, which was why he was reltively unoticed until he fought Trinidad, but the man handled Tito, arguably beat a prime Vargas, Kicked Shane Mosley's ass, went toe to toe with Taylor, beat snot out of Ike, and hasn't lost since 1999. what the hell does the man have to do??

If this was MMA, people would say he was the P4P best, like some do for a very less accomplished Chuck Lidell.

He most definately is not p4p best by no stretch of the imagination. Floyd, Rafael Marquez, Taylor, and i could keep going. lol

He has GREAT defense, i will give him that and it's because he has those long arms which allow him to cover up his entire body and head, that's rare to see so that's more of a gift. He has a pretty damn good jab and then that's it. He beat a one dimensional straight forward Tito with a JAB. He just exposed on how to beat him, good win but nothing spectacular like people tried to make it. It was defense and jab all night.

He lost to Vargas, i don't care how much he cried about it. And Vargas wasn't a great fighter either, not even in his prime. Oscar exposed that.

He was just a hungry and aggressive kid with some power. He beat Shane the same as Tito except i will give him credit for that more because Shane is a really good boxer but once he gets frustrated it's over and that's what happened to him in the first fight. The second fight could EASILY be argued that Shane won or at best a draw. Fighters like Winky and Vernon are bad styles for Shane as was shown but he did very good in the first fight.

He did nothing with Taylor except sit back and tried to win the fight blocking punches but Taylor got through at times and was very aggressive while Winky tried to steal rounds with little pitty pat shots and holding arms up. I had Taylor winning that fight 115-113 if i remember correctly.

And Ike?!?! Come on now, he was a blown up Jr Middleweight fighting at 160lbs AND well past his prime.

Winky gets too much hype from HBO and that's why everyone thinks he's so great. He's just a guy with good defense which in turn makes him boring as you said. If Hopkins comes to fight like he did with Tarver and Winky handles him i won't ever call him overrated again. If they come out and have a stalemate borefest waiting for wach other my opinion won't change. If Hopkins comes out fighting for 12 and manhandles Winky, i'll say i told you so. :grinsmile1:

Afro
02-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Winky is Top 3 P4P in fact ill even say hes right under PBF

Taylor P4P better then Winky? im sorry I am not gonna watch that fight again cuz theres no question in my mind that Winky beat Taylor and didnt even need the 12th round to win that fight! on top of that Taylor is the most overrated boxer out right now, and Winky would beat him in a rematch

Im stickin with

1. PBF
2. Winky
3. Pacqiuao

and Winky will beat Hopkins IMO, and seriously I dont wanna hear Hopkins was old if Winky wins.

Punk Ass
02-21-2007, 02:24 PM
and Winky will beat Hopkins IMO, and seriously I dont wanna hear Hopkins was old if Winky wins.

Well, if B Hop puts on a good performance in a loss then that won't be too much of an issue with me, but the fact is, the man is 42 years old. No fighter in history has ever looked more prime. In actuality I don;t think he is prime, which is why I think Winky wins this, but BHop is only doing so damn well because he's just so much more skilled than most fighters period.

Here's something to think about. He is doing leaps and bounds better at his age than Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali, Forman, Duran, Ray Lenard, Tommy Hearns, Larry Holmes, the list goes on and on. People really underestimate him and he just may be, the most accomplished fighter ever. I'm not going to say the best, Roy jones proved that, but look where RJJ is now, and BHop is still kicking. I would love to drink the same water he drinks.

Luis Cruz
02-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Winky is Top 3 P4P in fact ill even say hes right under PBF

Taylor P4P better then Winky? im sorry I am not gonna watch that fight again cuz theres no question in my mind that Winky beat Taylor and didnt even need the 12th round to win that fight! on top of that Taylor is the most overrated boxer out right now, and Winky would beat him in a rematch

Im stickin with

1. PBF
2. Winky
3. Pacqiuao

Sorry bro, he did not do enough to win that fight. You can't win being defensive and coming out of that shell for 15 secs a round. To call Taylor overrated is absurd. Anyone who beats Hopkins twice being called overrated is nuts. And yea he beat him twice, the first being close but he still won, and the second by even more. If Winky felt he could easily win a rematch he should've taken it. Taylor offered it right away and Winky said no he didn't need it like he dominated him enough in that first fight, please, that's a copout if i ever seen one and tell me you think he made the right decision?! There's nothing to justify him being 2nd p4p but you can definitely try. lol He is not ahead of Pac, Taylor, Floyd, Marquez', Barerra, Hopkins, and so on. Outside of the first Mosely fight, he's done nothing but "hang" with Taylor. You're a fan....SAY IT SAY IT! lol

If he beats Hopkins, like i said, i'll give him his props and place him higher then. But until then i'll wait because to me he is very overrated.

Afro
02-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Sorry bro, he did not do enough to win that fight. You can't win being defensive and coming out of that shell for 15 secs a round. To call Taylor overrated is absurd. Anyone who beats Hopkins twice being called overrated is nuts. And yea he beat him twice, the first being close but he still won, and the second by even more. If Winky felt he could easily win a rematch he should've taken it. Taylor offered it right away and Winky said no he didn't need it like he dominated him enough in that first fight, please, that's a copout if i ever seen one and tell me you think he made the right decision?! There's nothing to justify him being 2nd p4p but you can definitely try. lol He is not ahead of Pac, Taylor, Floyd, Marquez', Barerra, Hopkins, and so on. Outside of the first Mosely fight, he's done nothing but "hang" with Taylor. You're a fan....SAY IT SAY IT! lol

If he beats Hopkins, like i said, i'll give him his props and place him higher then. But until then i'll wait because to me he is very overrated.
Burt Sugar claims Taylor is overrated too, im sticking with his opinion

and ya Winky turned down a rematch when he was angry at the decision, but you did see the interview that happened after the fight where he said he would fight him again right?

I still say hes 2nd P4P, I dont think Barrera, Taylor, Marquez, or Hopkins are better boxers then him.. JMO maybe Pacman.

Tons of boxing sites have him in the Top 3 though, and I agree with them hes the best finese boxer out there right now, and I believe he was screwed out of the Vargas fight and Taylor fight.. I watched that fight 3 times and dont see how he won.. ya coulda done more in the 12th but he sitll won the 12th! that 12th round is comedy to me.. people nag on how Winky shoulda went out there and took the 12th round, but ignore the fact that Taylor did a lot less then Winky did.

Punk Ass
02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Afro, who the hell is JMO?

Afro
02-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Afro, who the hell is JMO?
just my opinion

and another thing, I know Burt Sugar likes to claim fighters are overrated just because of there techincal flaws IE: Muhammad Ali but still I dont believe Taylor is that good.

Punk Ass
02-21-2007, 03:27 PM
just my opinion

and another thing, I know Burt Sugar likes to claim fighters are overrated just because of there techincal flaws IE: Muhammad Ali but still I dont believe Taylor is that good.

You know what, I agree. People like Ali, and RJJ, were so good because of natural ability. Hell, they were the best because of it, but without it, they just became very good boxers, but not great. I do think Tayor is good though. Hell, he won the gold metal in the olympics, obviously he's a very good boxer. Overwhelmingly by MMA standards.

Afro
02-21-2007, 03:30 PM
You know what, I agree. People like Ali, and RJJ, were so good because of natural ability. Hell, they were the best because of it, but without it, they just became very good boxers, but not great. I do think Tayor is good though. Hell, he won the gold metal in the olympics, obviously he's a very good boxer. Overwhelmingly by MMA standards.
Im not saying hes bad at all, Burt Sugar says hes an awful boxer lol but im saying he lost to Winky, some believe he should have a loss to BHop hes not in my Top 3 and I think he would lose to Winky in a rematch

Luis Cruz
02-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Burt Sugar claims Taylor is overrated too, im sticking with his opinion

and ya Winky turned down a rematch when he was angry at the decision, but you did see the interview that happened after the fight where he said he would fight him again right?

I still say hes 2nd P4P, I dont think Barrera, Taylor, Marquez, or Hopkins are better boxers then him.. JMO maybe Pacman.

Tons of boxing sites have him in the Top 3 though, and I agree with them hes the best finese boxer out there right now, and I believe he was screwed out of the Vargas fight and Taylor fight.. I watched that fight 3 times and dont see how he won.. ya coulda done more in the 12th but he sitll won the 12th! that 12th round is comedy to me.. people nag on how Winky shoulda went out there and took the 12th round, but ignore the fact that Taylor did a lot less then Winky did.

Bert is a boxing genius but there are times when i don't agree with him. Taylor can box, it's insane to say he can't and he beat Hopkins straight up and it's Hopkin's fault both times for waiting to start. While everyone likes to hang on to one round to determine a fight i always score the entire fight and am usually different than the judges for the most part. I had Taylor winning that fight and if i remember correctly he definitely won that last round. Winky did absolutely nothing but sit back and hold on to what he thought was a 'w'. Didn't the commentators and post fight reports even talk shit about him for laying back in a close fight? Taylor worked that last round whether he didn't land anything great, he fought so he wins, period.

And yea Winky said he'd fight Taylor again but being that he said that first and then Taylor said "yea let's do it" when asked about it is all good BUT the fact that he changed his mind AFTER he said that makes him look like a coward for saying 'i want a rematch' then when it starts being talked about he backs out with the excuse, "i don't have anything to prove i won the first fight." That's crap and you can't justify that no matter how hard you try.

Most sites do have Winky very high and that's why i said he's overrated, if they didn't then i wouldn't say that because then he'd be rated where he belongs. lol

I can't believe you said he's a better boxer than Marquez', Hopkins, or Barrera, that's just crazy talk. You're holding him too high because of his defense but as far as overall boxing skills he doesn't touch any of those guys and their past fights prove that. You can say he's one of the best defensive fighters in the game but that's it, you start talking about ring generalship, putting punches together, footwork, and all that, are you seriously gonna sit there and try to argue he's better than those guys?! lol Don't be a silly guy because that would be bias talking and you know that.

Afro
02-21-2007, 07:03 PM
and if he beats Bhop will that mean anything?

I hope theres a Vbookie for that fight cuz ima bet all my money on it, and I still disagree on him being a coward... you ask a guy thats pissed off about a decision if he wants a rematch how can you expect a straight answer? when he had his head on right and was asked the same question he said he would give a rematch I dont see how thats being a coward, and theres nothing biased about it.. I mean so many people have Winky in the Top 3 P4P are they all Winky fans too? I dont think so.. and I am not even rating him on his defense.. but Ill ask again whats gonna happen if he beats Bhop? hes still gonna be overrated?

sorry I still felt he beat Taylor, I feel hes gonna beat Bhop, he has wins over Mosley and Trinidad what more do you want?

Luis Cruz
02-21-2007, 08:33 PM
and if he beats Bhop will that mean anything?

I hope theres a Vbookie for that fight cuz ima bet all my money on it, and I still disagree on him being a coward... you ask a guy thats pissed off about a decision if he wants a rematch how can you expect a straight answer? when he had his head on right and was asked the same question he said he would give a rematch I dont see how thats being a coward, and theres nothing biased about it.. I mean so many people have Winky in the Top 3 P4P are they all Winky fans too? I dont think so.. and I am not even rating him on his defense.. but Ill ask again whats gonna happen if he beats Bhop? hes still gonna be overrated?

sorry I still felt he beat Taylor, I feel hes gonna beat Bhop, he has wins over Mosley and Trinidad what more do you want?

Damn dude you asked me twice in this post what if he beats bhop when i answered it like 3 times already. lol I said if he beats him i won't ever call him overrated again, then i'll be impressed, especially at 170lbs. AS LONG as it's not some snooze fest where neither guy does anything, that won't prove anything. But if he wins an actual bout with some good boxing and action where they both look like they're trying to win, i'll give the man his props for sure.

Oh and you're backwords bro, he first said he wanted a rematch when he was all pissed after the match. Then it was discussed and Taylor said he wanted it, then Winky backed down saying he proved himself already. So it wasn't directly after, he changed his tune. Hopefully they do it in the future again though, because i'll take Taylor again.

Afro
02-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Damn dude you asked me twice in this post what if he beats bhop when i answered it like 3 times already. lol I said if he beats him i won't ever call him overrated again, then i'll be impressed, especially at 170lbs. AS LONG as it's not some snooze fest where neither guy does anything, that won't prove anything. But if he wins an actual bout with some good boxing and action where they both look like they're trying to win, i'll give the man his props for sure.

Oh and you're backwords bro, he first said he wanted a rematch when he was all pissed after the match. Then it was discussed and Taylor said he wanted it, then Winky backed down saying he proved himself already. So it wasn't directly after, he changed his tune. Hopefully they do it in the future again though, because i'll take Taylor again.
Im still takin Winky, I had him beatin Taylor before there match and felt he did win and im not that much of a winky fan that I would blindly say he won a fight he didnt win, im pretty much a winky fan by default.. thats just how I saw the fight go.

Dork8503
02-22-2007, 05:39 AM
i thought winky won the taylor fight, it was close and was a little pissed at the draw but i believe he did enough to win. Taylor i believe is overrated, yes he is a good boxer, but not great, his last fight i thought he looked horrible and he should have finished that fight. As far as bhop and winky go im not sure im kinda stuck in the middle, maybe ill take a draw lol. Idk i like both guys and both guys have showed alot but i would have to go with winky because bhop is up there in age.

Punk Ass
02-22-2007, 09:10 AM
i thought winky won the taylor fight, it was close and was a little pissed at the draw but i believe he did enough to win. Taylor i believe is overrated, yes he is a good boxer, but not great, his last fight i thought he looked horrible and he should have finished that fight. As far as bhop and winky go im not sure im kinda stuck in the middle, maybe ill take a draw lol. Idk i like both guys and both guys have showed alot but i would have to go with winky because bhop is up there in age.

You know what's funny about this. What do you base a great fighter off of? I understand what your saying, but you arew talking about a man that had very good toe to toe fights with B Hop and Winky. It's obvious Taylor is arguably the best MW out there, with the exception of Winky. And he's a Olympic gold metalist.

By MMA standards, with Taylors skills, he would be the mahamed Ali of MMA went it comes to striking, wouldn't you agree?? Honestly, for him to even compete with that level of competition is pretty great to me. :confusedsmilie:

Dork8503
02-24-2007, 05:07 PM
no way im a saying taylor isnt a good fighter, he beat bhop somthing thats hard to do, but im saying in his last fight he didnt look good and from that i just believe he is a little over rated, i still think he is good, i cant argue with you saying he is one of the best mw, im just saying his last fight kinda pissed me off he looked sloppy and everything else, but cant deny his skills