PDA

View Full Version : Paul Heyman backs Brock Lesnar as UFC Hall of Famer, doubts return to octagon

Cat--Smasher
09-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Paul Heyman backs Brock Lesnar as UFC Hall of Famer, doubts return to octagon

"Of course he is [a UFC Hall of Famer]," Heyman told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)). "Listen, here's the thing: Look at the three that he lost to, number one. Number two, what if Brock Lesnar did what everyone else did and said, 'Feed me a guy every other month for three years so I'll get six victories a year. I'll be 18-0 before you put me in there with a Frank Mir, a former UFC heavyweight champion, or Randy Couture and the legends of legends in UFC.'"

"But he didn't do that. He walked in and said give me your best."

The case for Lesnar's hall of fame status is his four-fight UFC win streak a streak he began with a 1-1 record amassed in less than two years. It accounts for four of five career wins (and all his UFC victories). Lesnar is tied with Couture, the man he defeated for the belt at UFC 91 in November 2008, and Tim Sylvia for the UFC heavyweight record for title defenses (two). He first retained versus former UFC champion Mir, who holds the most victories in UFC heavyweight history. Then Lesnar submitted undefeated challenger Shane Carwin in the second round at UFC 116's mega-sized showdown in July 2010 to prove himself undisputed. Carwin's 4XL gloves nearly finished Lesnar in the first, but Lesnar persevered to emerge victorious to mirror his out-of-cage comeback from a grave diverticulitis scare.

"You saw the speed, the size and improvement in every fight, and then this disease took everything away from him," said Heyman, noting Lesnar's personal battle demonstrated his championship qualities best in his three-year UFC stint. "You can see just how fragile an athlete's life is and why athletes need to make so much money as fast as they can and never say, 'I have 15 years on the contract.' Because they don't have 15 years on the contract. You have today on the contract because if you get injured today, tomorrow ain't gonna happen."

Lesnar walked off the street and took the UFC title, Heyman asserted. That alludes to Lesnar essentially being an individual-discipline fighter like a futuristic throwback wrestle-only athlete in an era of well-rounded, complete combatants. Taking the trial-by-fire road less traveled through champions started with a loss to Frank Mir in his UFC debut at UFC 81 in February 2008. Less than 12 months later, he was champion. His career ended with back-to-back defeats to Cain Velasquez, who snatched the UFC belt from Lesnar in October 2010, and K-1/Strikeforce/DREAM titleholder Alistair Overeem in December 2011. Lesnar succumbed to strikes in the first round in the main event.

"Five and three?" asked Heyman of Lesnar's record. "But look at the five and look at the three."

Lesnar's name is currently attached to WWE headlining duties; however, his name is synonymous with UFC speculation. UFC President Dana White acknowledged on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" that an early summer meeting with Lesnar was fruitless. An octagon return for Lesnar, the man Heyman considers a sure-fire UFC hall of famer, is unlikely according to his mouthpiece.

"I think Dana White would love to have Brock Lesnar back," he said. "I think Lorenzo Fertitta would love to have Brock Lesnar back. Does Brock Lesnar want to go back? I don't think Brock has anything to prove in the UFC anymore. He's 35 years old. He made a lot of money in the UFC.

"His house and his farms and his cars and everything that he owns is paid for. Why would he go in and risk injury and concussions and risk any kind of physical damage when he doesn't need to? That's the thing you have to understand. How hungry can a fighter be when he has millions and millions of dollars in the bank? What's there for him to gain? Another run as UFC heavyweight champion? Why would he do that?"

Championship glory is matched with the appropriate dollars for a draw such as Lesnar. December's title rematch between champion Junior Dos Santos and Velasquez is a fight Lesnar has ties to should he consider reentering the UFC fold. Lesnar was scheduled to meet Dos Santos after coaching opposite each other on "The Ultimate Fighter 13" in 2011. Velasquez is one of two fighters on his ledger he never avenged.

Still, Heyman's question resonates, especially with Lesnar's career prestige resting on a spectacular first run a one-of-a-kind stint requiring real mettle to attempt to replicate or surpass. The success of Brock Lesnar stems from his intrigue as a freak competitor from Minnesota's NCAA Division I national champion heavyweight wrestler in 2000 to conquering WWE's scripted world then the UFC's reality fighting with unreal ascent.

"He's the baddest dude on the planet," Heyman said of Lesnar's lasting impression on his crossed audiences, "and he wasn't shy about letting people know about that."

Paul Heyman backs Brock Lesnar as UFC Hall of Famer, doubts return to octagon | MMAjunkie.com (http://mmajunkie.com/news/30553/paul-heyman-backs-brock-lesnar-as-ufc-hall-of-famer-doubts-return-to-octagon.mma)

Sniggles
09-08-2012, 07:57 PM
"He's the baddest dude on the planet," Heyman said of Lesnar's lasting impression on his crossed audiences, "and he wasn't shy about letting people know about that."

http://www.miserableretailslave.com/Simon%20Phoenix.jpg

The Demolition Man begs to differ, motherfucker.

JustinVoorhees
09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
http://www.miserableretailslave.com/Simon%20Phoenix.jpg

The Demolition Man begs to differ, motherfucker.

lol

Fe1
09-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Since when is Paul Heyman's opinion relevant? I always liked watching Lesnar fight but there is no way in hell that he deserves to be in the hall of fame.

Sniggles
09-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Since when is Paul Heyman's opinion relevant? I always liked watching Lesnar fight but there is no way in hell that he deserves to be in the hall of fame.

The UFC Hall of Fame isn't about the quality of your opponents, it's about how much money you made the company.

joeodd2
09-08-2012, 08:43 PM
yeah actually I think he should be in the hall of fame. Lets face it, how many pro wrestlers came into MMA and achieved what he did?

Flynnja
09-08-2012, 09:24 PM
UFC Hall of fame is a joke.

Ramma
09-08-2012, 09:35 PM
The UFC Hall of Fame has no legitimacy...I'm sure Brock will be next year's entry.

Seriously though...no, just no. The guy went 4-3...he had one truly dominant win in all 4 of those matches (over Herring). Lesnar was finished in all 3 of his losses in the first round. But yeah, he won a title so let's throw him in the Hall of Fame.

rivethead
09-08-2012, 10:03 PM

Forgive me my ignorance, but it's showing again. Who is Paul Heyman? Is he a professional wrestler?

rh

Ramma
09-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Forgive me my ignorance, but it's showing again. Who is Paul Heyman? Is he a professional wrestler?

rh

ugh...I hate talking about wrestling...even if I did love it as a kid in my early teenage years.

Paul Heyman was the owner of ECW, a rival of the then WWF (now WWE). ECW crumbled and WWF basically picked up the rights and all that jazz.

When Brock Lesnar entered the WWE, Paul Heyman was his manager. They became friends during their time together I believe.

Mac
09-09-2012, 02:17 AM
New Jack would totally wreck Lesnar.

roaddawg
09-09-2012, 02:24 AM
UFC Hall of fame is a joke.

However Brock Lesnar isn't... as proven.

Y2JUBAE
09-09-2012, 02:43 AM
He deserves it more than Mask. Not really sure how Coleman is in there either.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
09-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Considering the amount of new eyes Lesnar drew to the sport, the big time fights he was involved in and his massive success in such a short-time(title wins over Couture, Mir and Carwin), coupled with his crippling stomach issues that definately cut his career and ability short, I believe he's an HOFer, despite my stance that a UFC dictated HOF isn't totally credible.

roaddawg
09-09-2012, 03:07 AM
Perhaps one could argue that anything that isn't standardized could be looked at as subjective especially when it comes to topics surrounding P4P, G.O.A.T, HOF.

Ramma
09-09-2012, 03:13 AM
Considering the amount of new eyes Lesnar drew to the sport, the big time fights he was involved in and his massive success in such a short-time(title wins over Couture, Mir and Carwin), coupled with his crippling stomach issues that definately cut his career and ability short, I believe he's an HOFer, despite my stance that a UFC dictated HOF isn't totally credible.

Massive success? You'd go on record to say that Lesnar had "massive" success with his 2 title defenses? He won a close fight with Mir where he found himself in trouble, and won a one-sided ass-kicking up until the 2nd round. Hell, even against Randy, was it such a great victory?

What Lesnar did in MMA is impressive, but to put him in the Hall of Fame? Come on. The guy had an 8 fight, 4 year (3 year in the UFC) career, almost landing on 50/50 in the process. Credit goes to him for being able to have the success he did with such little experience, but still...

rabidsponge
09-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Massive success? You'd go on record to say that Lesnar had "massive" success with his 2 title defenses? He won a close fight with Mir where he found himself in trouble, and won a one-sided ass-kicking up until the 2nd round. Hell, even against Randy, was it such a great victory?

What Lesnar did in MMA is impressive, but to put him in the Hall of Fame? Come on. The guy had an 8 fight, 4 year (3 year in the UFC) career, almost landing on 50/50 in the process. Credit goes to him for being able to have the success he did with such little experience, but still...

i agree with most of what youre saying, but i disagree that the fight with mir was a close win... first round was all brock, and second round, sure mir caught him with an elbow and a knee but brock took him down right away and smashed franks face til it was stopped.

H0SS
09-09-2012, 03:36 AM

He is a former HW champion who had a big impact on the sport of MMA. That's enough to allow him into the HOF as far as I'm concerned.

roaddawg
09-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Has any other HW in the UFC accomplished what Lesnar has in the period of time that he was there?

Sniggles
09-09-2012, 05:49 AM

rh

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SaeEXJcolnI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey Sheldon!

http://4.cdn.tapcdn.com/images/thumbs/taps/2012/07/sheldon-cooper-meme-18-2a3712be-sz288x200.jpg

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/07/27/290983-sheldon-cooper-in-the-big-bang-theory.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6mw4whoHZ1ra2unso1_500.jpg

http://us12.memecdn.com/sheldon-cooper-logic_o_418932.jpg

http://www.stuffistumbledupon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/the-most-interesting-man-meme-sheldon-cooper-bazzinga-big-bang-theory-cbs.jpg

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/9574344.jpg

http://baconwrappedmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/sheldon-cooper-meme-11.jpg

http://baconwrappedmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/sheldon-cooper-meme-20.jpg

Mac
09-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Are people seriously arguing for Lesnar in HOF? You guys are just busting balls right? No one really thinks this is legit, do they?

subman
09-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Seriously? Paul Heyman got over 20 fucking responses on an MMA forum?!?!?

What a bunch of marks...

AnchorPunch
09-09-2012, 07:26 AM
You guys answered "who is Paul Heyman?" for me. Then I had to google "Sheldon Cooper."

I almost wish this was a Jon Jones or Michael Bisping thread.

Flynnja
09-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Are people seriously arguing for Lesnar in HOF? You guys are just busting balls right? No one really thinks this is legit, do they?

It actually feels like another dimension.

But with it being the UFC HOF, I wouldn't doubt it.

MMA Hall of Fame please.

roaddawg
09-09-2012, 07:35 AM

I think its about as legit as his accomplishments.

rivethead
09-09-2012, 08:50 AM
If the UFC HOF meant anything to me, I'd waste the time to explain why lesnar shouldn't be in it. But Mask is in it already, so they might as well put Rachelle Leah in there, and let lesnar ride her coattails.

He is a former HW champion who had a big impact on the sport of MMA. That's enough to allow him into the HOF as far as I'm concerned.
So, Tim Sylvia is a lock then, eh?

Hey Sheldon!
Is that guy in the WWE too? He looks so skinny!

rh

roaddawg
09-09-2012, 09:19 AM
If the UFC HOF meant anything to me, I'd waste the time to explain why lesnar shouldn't be in it. But Mask is in it already, so they might as well put Rachelle Leah in there, and let lesnar ride her coattails.

So, Tim Sylvia is a lock then, eh?

Is that guy in the WWE too? He looks so skinny!

rh

Paul Heyman is Brock Lesnars manager. He is a fat version of Jim Cornett (the mouthy nerd with the tennis racket). I believe he also managed Shelton Benjamin whom many claimed was in the olympics. I believe that was just a work unlike Kurt Angle whom actually went to the olympics and won a gold medal (he claims he did it with a broken neck).

Shelton Benjamin
Shelton Benjamin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelton_Benjamin#Championships_and_accomplishments )

Kurt Angle
Kurt Angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Angle)

- has expressed interest in MMA but I don't see it happening.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6t_J4nFO_b4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the WWE they were aligned with Kurt Angle (another olympian).

travtera
09-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Seeing how it's an organization HOF and given the criteria that they use, I wouldn't be shocked if they inducted Lesnar. He put a lot of eye balls on the UFC and put a lot of money in their pockets too. He had some of the most watched fights in UFC history against the top heavyweights of the time. His record surely doesn't give him the credit for the impact he had. If there was an MMA HOF, I'd say hell no. Since all we have is the UFC HOF, I don't have a problem. Kind of like the difference between a beloved player get his jersey retired by a sports team even if his numbers aren't good enough to make it into that sport's HOF.

Spyke
09-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Since when is Paul Heyman's opinion relevant?.

In this case it is about as relevant as the opinion of Ed Soares. Heyman has functioned/is functioning as a handler for Brock outside of professional wrestling as well.

Heyman is also a pop culture journalist who covers (among other things) MMA.

An interesting side note is that he's helped some athletes with their Mic skills, including Shane Carwin.

The Return Of......
09-09-2012, 05:55 PM
No. He had a good run for a couple of fights but no. Quitting when you start to get your ass kicked does not make you HOF material. Sure lets look at his 3 losses.....no lets look at his last 2. When he got to the top, he didnt win. Mir, while a good fighter, is not at the top of the HW division. And Mir did have Lesnar in trouble with the knee. The position in the cage saved Lesnar that fight. In the Carwin fight Lesnar was gone...but the ref didnt stop it and Carwin blew his wad. Lesnar received a gift.

Losing to the top guys does make someone HOF material, beating the top guys does.

Lesnar was an OK MMA fighter. Nothing more

Y2JUBAE
09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
No. He had a good run for a couple of fights but no. Quitting when you start to get your ass kicked does not make you HOF material. Sure lets look at his 3 losses.....no lets look at his last 2. When he got to the top, he didnt win. Mir, while a good fighter, is not at the top of the HW division. And Mir did have Lesnar in trouble with the knee. The position in the cage saved Lesnar that fight. In the Carwin fight Lesnar was gone...but the ref didnt stop it and Carwin blew his wad. Lesnar received a gift.

Losing to the top guys does make someone HOF material, beating the top guys does.

Same can be said about Coleman, only he lost to weaker fighters and got beat by Coture, someone Brock beat.

Also, Mask, never fought, yet he is in the UFC HOF.

Thus, my opinion is that all fighters are qualified to be in the UFC's lame ass HOF. It is nothing prestigious.

roaddawg
09-09-2012, 06:21 PM

Kinda like Fedor who also never beat any of the top guys that Lesnar lost to. But hey unlike Fedor at least he has a couple of title defenses against top guys under his belt.

I suppose you're right though both of these guys are just OK MMA fighters.... nothing more.

Cat--Smasher
09-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Despite obstacles overcome, Brock Lesnar's career not worthy of UFC Hall of Fame | MMAjunkie.com (http://mmajunkie.com/news/30561/despite-obstacles-overcome-brock-lesnars-career-not-worthy-of-ufc-hall-of-fame.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Fe ed%29)

Mac
09-10-2012, 03:07 AM
I think its about as legit as his accomplishments.

That's what I'm saying, he beat an old ass LHW, a mediocre HW and Carwin and Mir. Only in Bizzaro World is that worthy of HOF. This dude's accomplishments don't even qualify for honorable mention.

You guys are definitely busting balls. No body can be that stupid, can they?

roaddawg
09-10-2012, 03:23 AM
That's what I'm saying, he beat an old ass LHW, a mediocre HW and Carwin and Mir. Only in Bizzaro World is that worthy of HOF. This dude's accomplishments don't even qualify for honorable mention.

You guys are definitely busting balls. No body can be that stupid, can they?

What hw can you think of is deserving of HOF?

Mac
09-10-2012, 04:20 AM
What hw can you think of is deserving of HOF?

I'd have to give that a lot of thought but even if I didn't come up with one, Brock wouldn't get it by default.

beardown98
09-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Kinda like Fedor who also never beat any of the top guys that Lesnar lost to. But hey unlike Fedor at least he has a couple of title defenses against top guys under his belt.

I suppose you're right though both of these guys are just OK MMA fighters.... nothing more.

I believe if it wasn't already apparent you just cemented yourself as a highly functional, developmentally challenged, mouth breather that should be under constant supervision for fear of choking on your own tongue till death.

You do understand Fedor fought for much longer cementing a legacy of greatness. Yes he lost against some of the best towards the end of his career. A career that lasted 12 years not 4 i hope you can grasp this.

And Y2JUBAE you keep talking smack about Coleman but he is the father of ground and pound that paved the way and showed how you could perfect GNP while avoiding the subs of BJJ. If not for him we may have never had guys like Matt Hughes who early on copied Colemans recipe for success.

By no means do i think Coleman is the best ever i just think he was an inovator who has more of a right to the UFC HOF than Lesnar

rivethead
09-10-2012, 03:06 PM
By no means do i think Coleman is the best ever i just think he was an inovator who has more of a right to the UFC HOF than Lesnar

I was never a Coleman fan, but he's done more for MMA than lesnar has, by far. Bringing fans from WWE brings in revenue, but it doesn't innovate anything.

Coleman is one of many, many, many fighters who did more with less gifts than lesnar did.

That being said, I can't imagine lesnar doesn't get inducted, because the UFC HOF is a joke without a punchline. At least when lesnar gets in, it's can become a joke who turtles as soon as it takes a punch...line.

It occurred to me that a puff-piece article whose main interviewee has never had anything to do with an actual combat sport really should have ended up in noobjack, so I fixed this.

I live to serve.

rh

disposableassassin
09-10-2012, 03:23 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/19832075.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/529332_10150622075135146_631335145_9743051_1320816 085_n.jpg

Kimbo> Rampage
09-10-2012, 03:47 PM
I was never a Coleman fan, but he's done more for MMA than lesnar has, by far.
:huh:

Bringing fans from WWE brings in revenue, but it doesn't innovate anything.
$ and exposure to the sport... bringing it heights it hasnt seen in the past... being the biggest PPV draw ever... MMA being put in the spotlight when it often wouldnt have been in the past...

Oh but I forgot, Mark Coleman "Invented" GNP.... :grinsmile1:

Coleman is one of many, many, many fighters who did more with less gifts than lesnar did.

Yes, because Coleman was such a skilled guy(besides wresting)...

Shooting up, Lifting weight, and wresting with Randleman everyday...

Hammerouse innovated how MMA fighters trained... told them what not to do....

Winning a UFC title in 1996> Winning a UFC title in 2008?

beardown98
09-10-2012, 06:19 PM
:huh:

$ and exposure to the sport... bringing it heights it hasnt seen in the past... being the biggest PPV draw ever... MMA being put in the spotlight when it often wouldnt have been in the past...

Oh but I forgot, Mark Coleman "Invented" GNP.... :grinsmile1:

Yes, because Coleman was such a skilled guy(besides wresting)...

Shooting up, Lifting weight, and wresting with Randleman everyday...

Hammerouse innovated how MMA fighters trained... told them what not to do....

Winning a UFC title in 1996> Winning a UFC title in 2008?

If not for coleman your beloved Lesnar may have never made his way to MMA are you too short sighted to see that?

No one said Coleman was a world beater or the best all around fighter you just assumed.

Also lets look at the staying power of Brocks supposed bringing on a new fan base. I agree he was a big draw when he fought but those people did not tune back into the PPV's when he was not on the card. Lesnar VS Ubereem at UFC 141 garnered around 750,000 buys then UFC 142 got 225,000 UFC 143 around 400,000 and 144 around 375,000

Lesnars first PPV with the UFC his loss to Mir at UFC 81 got 650,000 buys

UFC 82 got 375,000 buys

Now lets look at the UFC before brock UFC 80 got 225,000 buys
UFC 79 600,000 buys UFC 78 400,000 you see a trend here

So your point that Lesnars fans stuck with MMA is crap and holds no water.

mma #1 fan
09-10-2012, 06:43 PM
The UFC Hall of Fame isn't about the quality of your opponents, it's about how much money you made the company.

Dan, KEN, ,Mask ,Colemn ,& Royce really did not make the ufc much cash

Mac
09-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Bottom line is Lesnar doesn't have enough time in the game to even be considered, 7 fights can't get you into the hall of fame, no way, no how. Not a legit hall of fame anyhow. I can't believe I'm even chiming in on this, it's so ridiculous. PPV buys as a consideration for HOF? Fucking stupid.

disposableassassin
09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
PPV buys as a consideration for HOF?

only in the UFC!

rivethead
09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh but I forgot, Mark Coleman "Invented" GNP....

Coleman's innovation to GnP is far more valid than lesnar being the "Biggest Draw" MMA has ever seen. The bulk of his career he was on stacked cards with opponents who were viable draws themselves.

Further, I don't see bringing in uneducated fans as temporary viewers as having a lasting impact, nor do I believe that "any publicity is good publicity" for an industry on the verge of becoming mainstream.

But as always, you are welcome to your opinion.

Bottom line is Lesnar doesn't have enough time in the game to even be considered, 7 fights can't get you into the hall of fame, no way, no how. Not a legit hall of fame anyhow. I can't believe I'm even chiming in on this, it's so ridiculous. PPV buys as a consideration for HOF? Fucking stupid.

To be fair, he has more fights than Mask.

but I really liked this part of the post and felt it could stand alone, specifically when referring to the UFC's interpretation:

HOF? Fucking stupid.

rh

opiumdeth
09-10-2012, 08:03 PM
UFC hall of fame is as legit as WWE Hall of fame. It would be nice to see an outside source create a MMA hall of fame. Brock could have been a great fighter if he had gotten into MMA when he was younger the man has some serious Wrestling (not wwe) skills but he didn't. Will he be in the UFC HOF who cares anyways it needs more Shamrock :)

disposableassassin
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
UFC hall of fame is as legit as WWE Hall of fame. It would be nice to see an outside source create a MMA hall of fame. Brock could have been a great fighter if he had gotten into MMA when he was younger the man has some serious Wrestling (not wwe) skills but he didn't. Will he be in the UFC HOF who cares anyways it needs more Shamrock :)

i dunno i think the WWE's hall of fame is far more legitimate than the UFC's.
:rw::rw:

Kimbo> Rampage
09-11-2012, 01:10 AM
I definitely wouldnt have Brock in the HOF... the UFC HOF is a joke, Dana's personal list...

But comparing Brock to Colman is very poor argument imo...

2 wrongs dont make a right... just because the UFC put Mark in there for some reason, doesnt mean they have to do the same with Brock... or hold that same precedent... because if they did, it would become packed and watered down quickly.

So your point that Lesnars fans stuck with MMA is crap and holds no water.

When did I ever say that... And the only way to prove if Fans stuck with the sport is to see if the PPV numbers he pulled were repeated without him?... right...:huh:

A lot of those were mindless Lesnar fans... but who knows how many stayed with the sport... hell even a few here and on other forums admit to coming to MMA because of Brock, and have become big fans ever since.

It is...

But compared to Coleman... Dont know how he got brought up in the first place...

Mark went 7-5 in the UFC.... If your basing Coleman's HOF bid on his HW title, than it isnt far fetched to put Brock in there as well.

Neither really deserve to be in a legit HOF imo... if you look at how they are set up in other respected sports.

beardown98
09-11-2012, 01:16 AM
But compared to Coleman... Dont know how he got brought up in the first place...

Mark went 7-5 in the UFC.... If your basing Coleman's HOF bid on his HW title, than it isnt far fetched to put Brock in there as well.

Neither really deserve to be in a legit HOF imo... if you look at how they are set up in other respected sports.

I don't think anyone ever said Coleman should be in there because of his record or title it has more to do with how he changed thy way people fought and trained for MMA. It was how he opened the door for other wrestlers to enter the sport. He showed the MMA world how Wrestlers could excel in the sport. That at least is why i feel he belongs in the UFC HOF.

Kimbo> Rampage
09-11-2012, 04:10 PM
I don't think anyone ever said Coleman should be in there because of his record or title it has more to do with how he changed thy way people fought and trained for MMA. It was how he opened the door for other wrestlers to enter the sport. He showed the MMA world how Wrestlers could excel in the sport. That at least is why i feel he belongs in the UFC HOF.

Good point.

I guess see a HOF needing higher standards... with the sport being so young it should be very empty at this point... Some guys may be put in there because there are so few members...

Mark was not the first wrestler, although he pave the way for wrestlers to come as you said.

Just didnt buy into the idea that he revolutionized and changed the GNP game in MMA, as some would say...

not knocking the guy by any means.

Spyke
09-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Dan, KEN, ,Mask ,Colemn ,& Royce really did not make the ufc much cash

No, but interestingly enough Dan, Ken, and Coleman have all done pro-wrestling as well. Ken and Dan in WWF no less. Seems like Brock would fit in after all.

Cat--Smasher
10-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Heyman: Why wouldn't White want Brock back?

Heyman: Why wouldn't White want Brock back? - Mixed Martial Arts News (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/427034/Heyman-Why-wouldnt-White-want-Brock-back/)

Arda Ocal: UFC President Dana White has actually said that if Brock Lesnar would ever want to return to the UFC, I would welcome him with open arms, I'd give him another fight. What do you make of that?

Paul Heyman: I make of it that Dana White is a business man and understands the PPV numbers that Brock can pull in and he's saying *whistles* I want a piece of that action. And I don't blame Dana White. Hey do you think if Brock Lesnar went to the NBA right now, I can dunk a basket ball, want to put me on a team? What teams gonna say no, we don't want the ratings you can bring in Brock, we don't want the numbers you can draw. You think if Brock Lesnar could hit a baseball out of a park that the New York Yankees, the Boston Red Sox, the Minnesota Twins wouldn't put him on the roster? And let him hit that ball out of that park, of course they would.

Dana White knows that Brock Lesnar can turn the Octagaon into the Brocktagon anytime he wants and his PPV numbers are going to go up, up, up up with Brock Lesnar. Why wouldn't Dana White want Brock Lesnar back?

rivethead
10-10-2012, 06:34 PM
so in other words, it's fine to be mediocre and get paid like you're elite, as long as you're bringing in viewers.

personally, I'm glad that the NBA, MLB etc...haven't stooped to that level.

rh

Kimbo> Rampage
10-10-2012, 09:42 PM
so in other words, it's fine to be mediocre and get paid like you're elite, as long as you're bringing in viewers.

personally, I'm glad that the NBA, MLB etc...haven't stooped to that level.

rh

Are you referring to lesnar?

because losing to the #2 and #3 HW's=Mediocre

rivethead
10-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Are you referring to lesnar?

because losing to the #2 and #3 HW's=Mediocre

If lesnar came back, he'd lose to more than the #2 and 3 HW's...and yet, he'd be paid more than all of them, more than likely.

I'm betting he was paid more than JDS.

That was the point you missed.

rh

TheKidInside
10-10-2012, 11:30 PM
RH is once again on point. The reason I am against it is basically everything he said. It takes a way from the Hall of Fame's point (and it's not the fame part of the name). In fact there need to be an independent HoF for MMA. Like, someone needs to seriously put one together using donations/funds and make it cool!

I remember when I was learning journalism/broadcasting, one of my professors who was really successful as a theater production company owner, said that if you don't like some awards show or some music/film festival, start your own! In a few years maybe you'll be attracting as many people as other local shows/festivals do (obviously not as big as Cannes, Toronto, etc but you get the picture).

Invite some old school guys like Dan Sevren, Done Frye, Frank and Ken Shamrock, some Japanese fighters perhaps, etc

Heyman is out of his mind if he thinks Lesnar is going to bring in numbers to the NBA. Analysts/coaches/managers/owners would probably rip him a new a-hole just for suggesting that some freak show is worth their time.