PDA

View Full Version : best way to work on ones cardio?

Steve88
02-07-2007, 01:37 AM
I've been training alot lately, well mostly working out to get in shape / compete at a low level :P, just curious what you guys have found / know of as the best ways to help your cardio. Also any general suggestions / tips you may have for a beginner to training / etc.

edit: wrong forum - sigh

Legend
02-07-2007, 01:52 AM
What I do is I get my ass on the treadmill. Now just running will help but not as much as what I am going to tell you to do. What you need to do is warm up first (a couples of minutes should do it) then you need to find what is a good jogging pace for you. You should keep at this pace for around 2 minutes then you need to kick it up to a fast running pace for around 30 seconds to a minute (whatever you can handle). Then drop back down to the jogging pace for another 2 minutes then back up to your running pace and so and so on.

Once you build your cardio up some what I like to do then is after I am done with my running pace (which should be up to a minute by then) I like to add a sprinting pace. I will run flat out for around 15 to 30 seconds before I drop back down to the jogging pace.

Like I said before just running will help but it is constantly changing levels that will build you cardio up. If you do this routine I guarantee it will greatly improve your cardio.

supermark21
02-07-2007, 01:55 AM
What I do is I get my ass on the treadmill. Now just running will help but not as much as what I am going to tell you to do. What you need to do is warm up first (a couples of minutes should do it) then you need to find what is a good jogging pace for you. You should keep at this pace for around 2 minutes then you need to kick it up to a fast running pace for around 30 seconds to a minute (whatever you can handle). Then drop back down to the jogging pace for another 2 minutes then back up to your running pace and so and so on.

Once you build your cardio up some what I like to do then is after I am done with my running pace (which should be up to a minute by then) I like to add a sprinting pace. I will run flat out for around 15 to 30 seconds before I drop back down to the jogging pace.

Like I said before just running will help but it is constantly changing levels that will build you cardio up. If you do this routine I guarantee it will greatly improve your cardio.
Franklin trains this way too

bigaxel123
02-07-2007, 03:46 AM
Truthfully, the best way to gain STRONG cardio is by doing this. You have to do this every other day, after 2-3 weeks you'll notice a difference, no question. On a treadmill, Walk for 1.5 miles at a speed of 3.0 mph, at 1.5 miles increase speed to roughly 5 mph, at 2 miles, increase to 7 mph. at 2.5 miles, decrease to 4 mph. Finish at 3 miles.

This build long term stamina. Extremely effective

baj54
02-07-2007, 04:22 AM
I agree too,alot of people plateau very quickly with cardio and dont realize it.In any type of lifting or cardio program it is best to have as many variables as possible.When using the treadmill dont forget to increase your variables at least once every two to three weeks.Now this can be done by changing your pace or even changning the incline of your treadmill.Just remember the key is to experiment with many variables.

Alwaysbelieve1
02-07-2007, 08:13 AM
One acronym: H.I.I.T.

Research that a bit and you will have your answer. :)