PDA

View Full Version : Episode 7....

FidgitUK
05-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Josh V Tait

How'd you guys score it or feel it went?

I definately would of preferd to see it go another round....

Anthony
05-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Even if it did go another round or not, Tait won that fight and would have won it in the 3rd round. I think the standup was tied, Tait won it on the ground and Tait won damage.

Other than all that, Jesse is back and from what Ive heard and read....Jesse wins his Semi-Final fight.

Ortizschoolhardknox
05-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Watching that fight was awesome, two guys just knocking the hell out of each other. Even though I didn't really like Tait I'd have to agree with him, he should have won that fight but hey you go on to fight another day right?

Matt Boone
05-20-2006, 01:21 AM
I'm glad the guys on my forum aren't retards. Sherdog posters seemed to think Haynes was robbed, which is just plain stupid.

I had it 20-18 for Tait, but could see how you could have it 19-19. Round one I GUESS was close, I personally thought Tait won it but I guess if you want to you could say Haynes won it since most of it was just slugging back and forth with nothing really big landing. Tait dominated in the clinch, while Haynes was better when there was distance. Thing is, there wasn't distance in either round for that long of a time at all.

Second round I don't see any way people gave it to Haynes, let alone two professional judges. Tait did better on the feet IMO (aside from the knockdown) and was clearly at an advantage on the ground, even off his back. As Shamrock said the triangle negated the knockdown. I'd take it a step further and say because it was a flash knockdown that didn't even look like it came from a really good punch, and the fact that as soon as Tait hit the ground not only had he recovered, but within seconds had Haynes in a fight-finishing position. It's like this, Haynes rocked Tait, Tait recovered and regained control immediately. Meanwhile, Haynes was stuck in a triangle and couldn't get out, he was saved by the bell. You tell me which was closer to finishing the fight? Exactly. Mix that with the fact that Tait was at the WORST "even" with Haynes on the feet in round two (like I said, I thought he did better standing than Haynes in the second) and you've got a clear cut round two going to Tait 10-9. Wasn't enough for 10-8, not at all, but a very clear 10-9 round for Tait.

The only two logical things that should have happened after round two is either a third round tie-breaker, or a decision victory for Tait. The fact Haynes got the decision 20-18 from two pro judges, just pathetic.

I really think UFC and MMA in general needs to do something about the judges they use. I know they're appointed by commissions, but something's gotta be done to change that. These guys simply are used to judging boxing fights, and either don't know enough about the ground, or simply pay too much attention to just strikes when they score fights.

I had GSP beating Penn, Bonnar beating Jardine, Forrest beating Tito, and Tait beating Haynes. While even the judges agreed with me on some of those, the scores were atrocious in almost all of them from either one or more judges scoring those fights.

hughesfan4lyfe
05-20-2006, 02:12 AM
i was hoping tait would win:mad:

djimprint
05-20-2006, 06:33 AM
I honestly don't see how ANY of the judges gave that fight 20-18 to Josh. 19-19 would have been fair, however I saw this fight as 20-18 Tait.

Josh did nothing in the clinch. He was dominated on the cage. His standup was decent against Tait, however Tait landed a few decent shots of his own on his feet. Nothing to rock Josh, but enough to stop him from closing in, and more importantly scoring points.

There has been some very questionable judging lately. Bonnar vs. Jardine was a disgrace. Ortiz/Griffin was closer than the scorecards said ( I saw that one 29-28 Tito, no way should there have been any score of 30-27 Tito).

They definitely need to revisit the scoring system, or at least change the judges that they use.

I'm looking forward to see Ed Herman fight next week.:)

Alvin
05-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Nah, this was definately an even fight & surely the judges got embarressed when even Herb lined up the fighters for a third round!

I thought Josh won the first, barely, but the slam & the escapes gave it to him IMO. Exactly how did he win the second?

I know everyone has their own opinions to fights (Tito Vs Griffin & GSP Vs Penn), but would it not be an idea for the UFC et al to get ex-fighters/trainers etc to judge fights. At least they know what they're looking for.

Saying that, we'll still argue tight decisions!

arashikagepunishment
05-20-2006, 03:30 PM
it's always a shame when the judges have to make the decision. i personally wanted to see them go another round. but i think in the end the decision was fair.

Matt Boone
05-20-2006, 09:31 PM
I hate to do it, arashikagepunishment, but I'm gonna have to ask you how you felt that decision was fair. Break down the fight as if you were a judge like some of us other guys did on here. I really want to see the point of view from someone like yourself who thought Haynes won because I simply don't see what you guys saw.

I'm also excited to see Herman next week. He's done a good job talking himself up, and Spike TV editors have done a good job building up anticipation for him to finally fight with the Ortiz stuff, and him talking in the sit down interview segments one on one with the camera, plus getting drunk and pulling the Leben shit from season one telling everyone he's the best here (plus bright ass red hair lol).

I like the idea of former fighters and trainers getting into judging. I think Couture should go apply to one of the main commissions damnit! He wouldn't let this crap happen.

Clint
05-21-2006, 05:16 AM
I personally wanted to see it go to round 3, but I think the decision was fair as well. Here is how I break it down:
ROUND1:
Striking - Haynes was landing the more damaging shots. Everytime Tait landed a jab, he would eat atleast one hook in the process, usually more.

Ground Fighting - Tait but barely. He didn't really have any sub attempts just plenty of setups. Neither had any takedowns, Tait just kinda flopped on his ass.

Octagon Control - Josh but again barely. He was backing up Tait more than the other way around and when it went to the ground it was usually because Josh followed Tait to the ground (regardless of the fact that he shouldn't have.

Aggression - This was about equal. Josh was more aggressive on the feet and Tait was more aggressive on the ground.

Damage - Neither guy dealt any real damage but if I had to pick one it would be Josh for his landed combos.

Overall - Haynes 10-9

ROUND2
Striking - I would say that the with the knockdown Haynes wins this but not by much. (Tait would have won the standup had it not been for the knock down)

Ground Fighting - Tait obviously. But I do want to point out that the triangle wasn't as tight as everyone makes it out to be. Haynes had his elbow pressed into Tait's thigh which is enough to take the pressure off of his neck on that side and thereby keep from being choked out. Even so Tait won this one.

Octagon Control - could go either way but I would say Haynes had the control because again he followed tait to th ground and he got back up off the ground and made tait get back up

Aggression - Tait seemed overall more aggressive with his attacks this round

Damage - This one could go one of two ways. Haynes was more bloodied up and the triangle at the end could be considered damage but on the other hand Haynes had the knockdown on Tait.

Overall - 10-9 Tait or Haynes depending on the damage decision

FINAL RESULT
Either a third round or a win by Josh. However this is all going by memory, so I could be biased since I was rooting for Haynes.

Matt Boone
05-21-2006, 06:48 AM
I think that's what it is, because octagon control would go to Tait in both rounds IMO. Tait was forcing Haynes to the octagon at will and able to close distance whenever he wanted. Once in the clinch, he was getting the better.

arashikagepunishment
05-21-2006, 05:55 PM
ROUND 1

they didn't start anything until 45 seconds in. tait controlled the first two minutes. they both worked the cage. Haynes came out swinging to no avail. they went back to the cage. tait tried a takedown. they went toe-to-toe for the last part of the fight.

ROUND 2

22 seconds in this time. they ref stopped the fight for a need to the stomach area at around 4:07/6. 21 seconds in from the time out. haynes did knock tait down. tait went for alot of submission attempts i counted about 6. tait also had a submission at the last 24 seconds or so.

so in conclusion i should of put my foot into the mouth before i said the decision is fair. but as we all know they always tell these guys to never let it go to a judges decision. cause anything can happen. i remember i believe the first two seasons where you got extra money if your opponent was submitted or TKO'd in the first, possibly the seond round. i think the fight was very even. i believe if Haynes didn't get that knockdown they fight would of gone to the third and final.

to just let you know i watched the episode back on youtube and took notes. i'm not an expert and my opinions are just that. i have only seen 4 pay-per-views before the first ultimate fighter season 1 began.

Matt Boone
05-21-2006, 09:42 PM
I think re-watching and admitting it was closer than you first thought when watching it live shows you definitely are understanding the sport quickly if you've only seen 4 MMA events, all UFC, prior to this. A lot of people jump the gun when watching something live, because of the shock of what happened. Stuff leaves a bigger impression when you watch it live as compared to going back and watching the tape. Because when watching the tape you remember the big stuff, so you can pay attention to everything else to get a good idea of what scored and what didn't from bell to bell.

I think they still get the bonus for finishing this season. As far as not letting it go to the judges, getting someone in a triangle and squeezing, throwing elbows at his head and squeezing some more til the bell rings. Can't do much more from that position to try and finish the fight with the amount of time he had.

killerinstinct
05-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Tait won the fight ,but I'm glad the judges gave it to Josh.Josh is definately a lot more deserving than that punk ass bitch Tait.I would've liked to have seen a 3rd round that was a pretty good fight.The best this season thus far.

Matt Boone
05-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Yeah the fight was pretty decent. They built it up to be a war with the commercials saying the best fight of the season blah blah, it wasn't really all that exciting in my opinion. Neither was Hatton-Collazo last weekend in my opinion, another fight (boxing) that everyone seemed to agree was this big action packed fight. I guess I'm not a big fan of in close swinging with no technique behind it other than rock-em-sock-em robot technique and not being able to tell what's landing cleanly and who's got the upper hand, etc.