PDA

View Full Version : Sam Peter vs James Toney In Sept!!

Luis Cruz
07-02-2006, 06:30 AM
Finally a Heavyweight bout worth watching!! I just seen this on ShoBox. On Showtime on September 2nd, James Toney is fighting Sam Peter in a WBC title eliminator. This could be good. Toney has never been ko'd but he has also never fought someone with the power of Peter, not even close. Toney is also getting up there in age and has been fighting a long time so he's not in his prime either as shown in his Rahman fight. I think Peter will take this with a chance of stopping Toney, but if not a clear unanimous decision to setup a rematch with Wlad in which Peter takes the title this time around. New trainer, better conditioning, better defense means better Sam Peter! This will be the beginning of the man i picked to own the Heavyweight division long ago to start.

Greenish
07-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Damn right it's worth watching :)

Toney better get his fat arse in shape or Peter will put an end to James's HW carrier at top level.

stalker
07-16-2006, 12:31 AM
first rocman made toney look good then tyler/wright was a draw!
boxing doesn`t deserve for me to even pay showtime for sept.....
peters can hit and has great heart but i`m going to wait and see if all
of boxing hits the bottom of the barrel rematches! showtime like hbo brass kicks ass and doesn`t promote boxing because they know the rappers
leading the boxers in the ring are going to on the front page....
as paying fans need a little help here brass! toney by ko if he trys

toosexi
07-17-2006, 05:42 AM
I honestly believe Toney will beat Samuel Peter and possibly KO him out because Toney has great defense, quick hands, and will have a counter punch for every punch Peter throws putting him in harms way. What are your thoughts on the fight?

toosexi
07-17-2006, 05:46 AM
Toney will win this fight on Sept. 2 for sure. He will expose Sam Peter's weaknesses by countering every shot he swings wildly. I guarantee Toney to chop Peter down like a tree that night with constant body shots and powerful counters. Mark my words. Toney will win!

Luis Cruz
08-06-2006, 04:26 AM
Under a month until this fight so i threw a poll up to see what some people thought. I'm taking Peter by TKO (ref or doc stoppage). I think he'll open a cut that will stop the fight or he'll have Toney rocked and unleash a barrage of punches to force a ref stopage. But either way i say he wins this fight clearly. Then again i could be wrong! :grinsmile1:

stalker
08-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Luis Cruz/toosexi you both could be right and both know your sh$t.

powerful counters!
a cut-

these two have power i only dream of and chin to match.
they have the head, the chin and a punch.
i hate being broke but i`m gonna be on the net for the pbp.
its to close for me to call, i have to backoff toney by k.o.

steelebone
08-09-2006, 07:48 PM
It depends on what kind of shape james is in. If he's in shape he could outbox Peter easily. If not he could lose a dec. Peter wont stop him though. Tony is a great defensive fighter who is hard to hit real clean. Take away the flash knockdown versus Roy Jones and Tony has never been down.

Afro
08-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I went with Peter by decision, Toney's chin is too strong for Peter to KO him but I think Peter is gonna win the fight of course im hoping for a KO cuz thats what I wanna see but I doubt it happens

Luis Cruz
08-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Just because Toney has never been ko'd doesn't mean he won't get ko'd. Like i said in a previous post he never fought anyone with the kind of power Peter is bringing, Toney hasn't been at Heavyweight all that long and comparing Peter to Middleweights or Cruiserweights is no comparision at all. And with his new trainer Peter is going to be better than he ever was. His weaknesses should've been worked on a lot and while Toney is a very slick boxer and very good defensively, all it takes is one shot to start the punishment or even end it and Toney DOES get hit. Especially now at Heavyweight. I'm also expecting him to come in halfassed shape because he doesn't seem to care that much anymore about his weight. So with the pressure Peter is going to bring, Toney will definately slow down in the mid rounds and then gas in the later ones. He doesn't have the power to hurt Peter at Heavyweight either and i know he won't be busy enough that it'll be from an accumulation of punches either. Toney's on his way out, Peter is still very young and hungry, this is a very bad matchup for Toney and it'll show.

Lance Roid
08-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Toney looks like he doesn't like to train. But he sure knows how to drop the hammer.

toosexi
08-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Toney will win.

Afro
09-03-2006, 04:44 AM
time to see Peters whoop dat ass

Luis Cruz
09-03-2006, 05:52 AM
time to see Peters whoop dat ass

The one thing worrying me is Peter coming in the heaviest he's even been, not good. BUT he is lucky Toney's cardio isn't that great either. I think i predicted a ref stoppage in this fight. It's hard to get the round but i'll say it ends like this, round 8 Toney gets caught and rocked hard. Peter unleashes a barrage of punches and the ref steps in. When Toney gets his wits back he'll bitch to no end about the stoppage for the next few months but everyone else will know it was a good stoppage........then again i could be WAY off. lol

Afro
09-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Im praising Peter wins though, his personallity.. his KO power, he could be a star in the HW division.. Boxing needs Peter to win this one!

im a Toney fan but hes at the end of his career.. even with all the crap Toney talks, its entertaining and hes a great boxer.. im a big fan, but I like Peter in this one.

Afro
09-03-2006, 06:22 AM
Peter with a huge round! exciting one too

Afro
09-03-2006, 07:03 AM
I dunno... I thought James Toney won

bigc
09-03-2006, 07:31 AM
toney i think will win hes to smart in the ring and a lot of people say that toney fights better when he is tired better hope that peters dosent catch him though

toosexi
09-03-2006, 07:32 AM
TONEY won the decision at all judges at ring side. I had him winning 115-13 with the pt deduction.

Luis Cruz
09-03-2006, 07:37 AM
I couldn't clearly judge the 1st 3 rounds because of my damn phone continuesly ringing but from 4 on from what i seen 116-111 was a bit crazy. I thought it would be a close scored fight so i'm going to have to go back and rewatch it on my tivo and score it myself from beginning to end. Peter had him hurt a few times, i wish he would've jumped on him more. I knew his weight would be an issue, that was my only concern and i also said he might be saved because Toney's cardio is also hurtin most times. Peter needs to cut down to 240-245 max, so he needs a new and top nutrisitionist to get him where he needs to be so he can be effective for 12 rounds without gassing. Hopefully they key on that. I could see the difference in him having Reid though, he boxed a hell of a lot better and even counter punches a lot better. There's nothing he could do for speed because Toney was going to win that battle no matter what trainer he had. He looked pretty good imo, i just wish he had a little more of a killer instinct when he had him hurt. Maybe he was worried he wouldn't finish him and punch himself out, who knows. Anyways i'm also glad he won, he's still young and has time to mature as a boxer still. Toney can still make for some entertaining fights with other guys at heavyweight. I think he can take the belt from that big goof who was in attendence tonight, Valuev. I would love to see that, he would be at an over 1 foot disadvantage but watching him completely school Valuev would be great.

Liahkovich might be losing his newly won title when he fights Briggs in November. Peter should beat Oleg so two titles won't be in "russian" hands anymore. The other two should be successful with their defenses.

Luis Cruz
09-03-2006, 07:39 AM
TONEY won the decision at all judges at ring side. I had him winning 115-13 with the pt deduction.

Those aren't judges, those are just press row, people like you and me scoring. lol The judges gave the fight to Peter. Definately should've been a closer score.

toosexi
09-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Yea

subman
09-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Those aren't judges, those are just press row, people like you and me scoring. lol The judges gave the fight to Peter. Definately should've been a closer score.

I just watched the fight AGAIN, and I cannot figure out how ANYONE saw that 116-111 Peter, let alone PRO JUDGES. A close fight, fine, but Toney (IMO) clearly got robbed. I can't wait to see the round by round scoring.

Boxing is worse than WWE; At least wrestling admits it is pre-determined. This scoring was shameful, and the Showtime announcers setting us up from round 6 on with "this is tough to score" rings FAKE FAKE FAKE.

TheBonger
09-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Alright it was a very close fight i would prolly go 114-113 Toney but it was a close fight and when you leave it to the judges at that point anythign can happen. Fighters especially boxers know that can happen. I think after watching Toney's postfight interview, all i got to say is SHUT THE FUCK UP JAMES. I think his post fight actions are completely out of line. All the shit he said and especially the no respect part then trying to start a melee its just uncalled for. Even Tyson didnt do shit after the fight was over, all his crazy shit happened before and during fights. After the fight is over you gotta show respect, if not just walk out and dont say shit. To make a complete ass of yourself on SHO after the fight and do the shit he did, he should never be on PPV or SHO,HBO ever again I tired of his mouthy ass. Ats all a fucking act to try to draw interest to himself because he is washed up and has no real draw. He just wants to try to be a Tysonesse guy and sell tickets with his mouth. I for one will stick to MMA, where the worse we got is Tito, only free boxing for me (HBO,SHO) that is until Floyd and Oscar.

Afro
09-03-2006, 05:20 PM
it was 116-111 because there was a whole lot of close rounds damn dont trip out about it.. I know it sounds like a ridiculous score for a fight that looked like Toney should of won, but there was a LOT of close rounds so that score doesnt mean it wasnt close. Subman I dont know what your ranting about lol that fight could of gone either way.

Luis Cruz
09-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Toney's antics are definately old. At least give respect to your opponent, i hated the way they kept trying to seperate them when the fight was over. That makes it look worse. They were going to shake and the people were trying to stop them, idiots. Toney should've at least gave credit where it's due and say Peter hits hard as shit because he was obviously rocked numerous times in that fight. Whatever time to move on, it's not the first time judging will be critized in boxing, that's why the sport gets bashed.

Afro
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Alright it was a very close fight i would prolly go 114-113 Toney but it was a close fight and when you leave it to the judges at that point anythign can happen. Fighters especially boxers know that can happen. I think after watching Toney's postfight interview, all i got to say is SHUT THE FUCK UP JAMES. I think his post fight actions are completely out of line. All the shit he said and especially the no respect part then trying to start a melee its just uncalled for. Even Tyson didnt do shit after the fight was over, all his crazy shit happened before and during fights. After the fight is over you gotta show respect, if not just walk out and dont say shit. To make a complete ass of yourself on SHO after the fight and do the shit he did, he should never be on PPV or SHO,HBO ever again I tired of his mouthy ass. Ats all a fucking act to try to draw interest to himself because he is washed up and has no real draw. He just wants to try to be a Tysonesse guy and sell tickets with his mouth. I for one will stick to MMA, where the worse we got is Tito, only free boxing for me (HBO,SHO) that is until Floyd and Oscar.
he isnt tryna be a tysonesse guy, Toney has always ran his mouth from day 1 hes just a smack talker plain and simple, but he can stil box.. he looked good yesterday I still think he won the fight but it was real close.

toosexi
09-03-2006, 07:02 PM
The two judges that had the fight 116-111 were blind as hell.

Salvy_Mic
09-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Samuel Peter winning this fight, in all reality, was probably the best thing that could have happened to the heavyweight division. He's a hardworking, hardhitting KO artist who can put on exciting fights, and he's still very young.

Anyone know when Calvin Brock is going to fight next?

Afro
09-05-2006, 02:41 AM
Samuel Peter winning this fight, in all reality, was probably the best thing that could have happened to the heavyweight division. He's a hardworking, hardhitting KO artist who can put on exciting fights, and he's still very young.

Anyone know when Calvin Brock is going to fight next?
your right it is the best thing to happen to Boxing, it was a close fight theres no disputing that too.. and we will probably see Toney-Peters 2 which will keep the HW division interesting for awhile, plus if its for a title that makes it even more interesting cuz I believe Peters goes on to be champ.

Calvin Brock will be fighting nov. 11th

Luis Cruz
09-05-2006, 02:54 AM
I believe Brock is fighting Wladimir Klitschko on November 11th for the IBF title. Wlad was suppose to fight Briggs but that fell through for whatever reason and now Brigg's is fighting Lyakhovich for the WBO title November 4th or at least that's what's being talked about (Briggs by KO in round 4 or 5). I'd rather have seen Brigg's and Wlad fight because i think Brigg's would beat him, but Brock is too small to deter Wlad from coming in and putting him on his ass. I see Wlad winning by KO in about the 6-7th round. Peter will be fighting Maskaev so that should be two of the 4 belts being taken from the "Russians". lol Valuev will probably hold on to his when he fights Barrett in October. Eventually Valuev will face someone decent and lose and Klitschko will run into Briggs or Peter again and lose, so this domination of the Heavyweight division will be shortlived by them. Not that it bothers me whose champ (except for Valuev) but i'm just being realistic.

subman
09-05-2006, 09:57 AM
it was 116-111 because there was a whole lot of close rounds damn dont trip out about it.. I know it sounds like a ridiculous score for a fight that looked like Toney should of won, but there was a LOT of close rounds so that score doesnt mean it wasnt close. Subman I dont know what your ranting about lol that fight could of gone either way.

Dude, watch the fight again. I recorded it, and watched it back again right after the fight, to see if I had missed something. I can accept "close rounds" but there is no WAY 2 judges should have the fight 116-111, especially with Peter getting a point taken away. That would make it a 117-110 fight for two of the judges. That is a joke.

I agree that Peter is much better for the heavywieght division, which makes the scoring smack even worse. Toney was acting like a dick the whole fight (end of every round, doing some stupid "hold me back" crap for example), but score the FIGHT. That is why I say it is worse than pro wrestling any more. Watch the fight again, and tell me how you score it 117-110 without the point loss.

Peter is young, power punching, and amiable. Toney has made a ton of enemies, is 38, and doesn't have exciting fights. So the decision is like a pro wrestling "who is more popluar" decision.

I'm done with this, but boxing just sucks any more...

Afro
09-05-2006, 01:56 PM
ok then dont watch it

Punk Ass
09-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Just like the other dude said Toney has always been a trash talker, thats what he does. He doesn't respect anybody because he thinks he's the greatest and you know what, he is one of the P4P best in boxing today. the only problem is these guys are to big for him to hurt.
You said Toney doesn't draw a crowd? You must be crazy. Toney is a legend he has cleaned out divisions came up from middleweight and competes in the heavyweight division, he is the only fighter to ever do that. He obviouly has better skills than any heavyweight out there and if those punches he landed could move these dudes, everybody he fought would of been KOed

Afro
09-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Toney def outboxed Peters who alot of people feel is the future of the HW divsion. But I guess the judges didnt feel Toney outfought him

that double jab that Toney hit early is somethin a boxer would love to imitate.

Luis Cruz
09-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Just like the other dude said Toney has always been a trash talker, thats what he does. He doesn't respect anybody because he thinks he's the greatest and you know what, he is one of the P4P best in boxing today. the only problem is these guys are to big for him to hurt.
You said Toney doesn't draw a crowd? You must be crazy. Toney is a legend he has cleaned out divisions came up from middleweight and competes in the heavyweight division, he is the only fighter to ever do that. He obviouly has better skills than any heavyweight out there and if those punches he landed could move these dudes, everybody he fought would of been KOed

Nah i believe Sugar Ray Robinson came up to Heavyweight but failed to capture a title. Roy came up and captured the WBA from Ruiz and made history. Toney has yet to win a title at Heavyweight and even if he did Roy's already done it so he wouldn't be the first. He would've had the WBA also had he not used steroids.

Punk Ass
09-08-2006, 01:50 AM
Nah i believe Sugar Ray Robinson came up to Heavyweight but failed to capture a title. Roy came up and captured the WBA from Ruiz and made history. Toney has yet to win a title at Heavyweight and even if he did Roy's already done it so he wouldn't be the first. He would've had the WBA also had he not used steroids.

True but Toney did accually beat the same person Roy beat and he didn't have to run around the ring to do it.

If Toney fought Roy Jones now who do ya'll think would win?

Luis Cruz
09-08-2006, 01:59 AM
True but Toney did accually beat the same person Roy beat and he didn't have to run around the ring to do it.

If Toney fought Roy Jones now who do ya'll think would win?

Yea they both beat Ruiz but Roy didn't juice to do it. He respected Ruiz's power which he should've or he could've been ko'd he doesn't have a chin like Toney.

Today Toney would massacre Roy, especially at Heavyweight. He's just done better with age, Roy's age caught up to him a lot faster and harder.

Punk Ass
09-08-2006, 02:14 AM
Yea they both beat Ruiz but Roy didn't juice to do it. He respected Ruiz's power which he should've or he could've been ko'd he doesn't have a chin like Toney.

Today Toney would massacre Roy, especially at Heavyweight. He's just done better with age, Roy's age caught up to him a lot faster and harder.

It was said that a Docter injected Toney with it to heal his injury and Toney didn't know. Though honestly I don't think that played a part in Toney winning that fight.

But your right about that Toney beating Roy thing. But did you see the first fight with them? Roy made him look stupid.

Luis Cruz
09-08-2006, 03:04 AM
It was said that a Docter injected Toney with it to heal his injury and Toney didn't know. Though honestly I don't think that played a part in Toney winning that fight.

But your right about that Toney beating Roy thing. But did you see the first fight with them? Roy made him look stupid.

Athletes always blame doctors, don't buy that for one second.

I remember the first fight, Roy clowned him bad and that's when they were both prime Middleweights.

Punk Ass
09-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Athletes always blame doctors, don't buy that for one second.

I remember the first fight, Roy clowned him bad and that's when they were both prime Middleweights.

The good ole dayz, nobody today could be either one of them at that time. Not even Hopkins, even though that was a bold statement.

TheBonger
09-08-2006, 08:05 AM

I didnt say toney didnt have a draw but i mean that his mouth and antics are most of his draw at this point. Toney back in the day was good figher but at this point the only reason he is a contender at HW it because the division is as weak as it has prolly ever been. And i still dont see him winning the HW title, like you said he doesnt really have heavyweight power which puts him at a big disadvantage. I just think he likes the attention of making himself a spectacle, his is dispectful to other fighters and to the sport itself. Im for one am tired of the bullshit. Maybe Holyfield makes a combact and wins a couple belts what a story that would be. Dont see it happening but the HW division needs something quick. Im not sure but i think i read somewhere that the Rahman/Maskaev title fight only had 70,000 buys. Not cutting it for a HW title fight.

Afro
09-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Toney can and will hold one of the HW belts, bank on that he is still a good boxer.. I wouldnt give him the edge over Kltischo cuz its hard to outbox Wlad when ur at a reach advantage, but the others.. ill take Toney over them any day.

Punk Ass
09-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Toney can and will hold one of the HW belts, bank on that he is still a good boxer.. I wouldnt give him the edge over Kltischo cuz its hard to outbox Wlad when ur at a reach advantage, but the others.. ill take Toney over them any day.

Agreed, as long as he does it quick, he aint getting no younger.

Salvy_Mic
09-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Age always hurts the more dynamic and/or brawling fighters more than it does other kinds of fighters. Roy Jones was a flashy, lightning fast fighter, and unfortunately for him, one of the first things to go was his mobility. Compare that to someone like Bernard Hopkins, more of a thinking man's fighter who seemingly only got better with age because his style wasn't heavily affected by age. It also has to do with your conditioning, and considering Hopkins' monastic lifestyle and training, he was always going to be near peak condition even if he got older.

Punk Ass
09-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Age always hurts the more dynamic and/or brawling fighters more than it does other kinds of fighters. Roy Jones was a flashy, lightning fast fighter, and unfortunately for him, one of the first things to go was his mobility. Compare that to someone like Bernard Hopkins, more of a thinking man's fighter who seemingly only got better with age because his style wasn't heavily affected by age. It also has to do with your conditioning, and considering Hopkins' monastic lifestyle and training, he was always going to be near peak condition even if he got older.

Well said

WandAXE
09-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I hope Peter wins I thought he would be good for the HW division in boxing, but he got beat a while back . So hopefully it becomes a good fight and better than that bullshit fight between Rock vs Toney, that was a joke.