PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Match up.

killerinstinct
07-02-2006, 11:04 AM
If you could make any match you wanted.Bring back any fighter you wanted Rocky Marciano in his prime,Ali in his prime,Tyson in his prime and build a dream match.What match would you choose and why?

Afro
07-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Rocky Marciano vs Mike Tyson

Marciano had more power as a boxer then anyone by far, but the new generation of boxing fans would say Mike Tyson.. so I would want to see this fight even though it would most likely end shortly by KTFO via Marciano's fist meeting Tyson's face.

killerinstinct
07-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Rocky Marciano vs Mike Tyson

Marciano had more power as a boxer then anyone by far, but the new generation of boxing fans would say Mike Tyson.. so I would want to see this fight even though it would most likely end shortly by KTFO via Marciano's fist meeting Tyson's face.
Rocky would kill Tyson.Tyson was extremely over rated.anytime he fought anyone with any talent what so ever he lost.

Afro
07-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Rocky would kill Tyson.Tyson was extremely over rated.anytime he fought anyone with any talent what so ever he lost.
I agree he was overrated but then again he was mentally insane, when he was normal the guy actually made a lot of good points on the mic other then that he was the most entertaining fighter to listen to bar-none! overrated though.. a lot of KO power for a small dude but no real skill.

killerinstinct
07-02-2006, 08:15 PM
I'd like to see rocky fight Larry Holmes.Holmes once said that Rocky couldn't carry his jock.I'd disagree with that and I think it would be a very exciting fight.

Greenish
07-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Come now, Tyson had pleanty of talent, he just wasn't one of best ever like he was hyped to be at end of 80's. And to be honest Rocky's opposion wasn't top quility either.

Afro
07-04-2006, 01:38 AM
Tyson had plenty of talent as a KO artist, but when it comes down to pure boxing he wasnt THAT Skilled.. solid at best, but he has had some of the sickest KOs and delivered some of the cleanest hits in boxing.. but like Killer said when he faced guys that were better boxers then him he couldnt do nothin.

Alvin
07-04-2006, 07:41 AM

The problem with this type of thread is you can only base your opinions on fight records cos there is no way on Earth that Marciano's fighting style would work (or be permitted!) in today's game or in the days of Tyson.

Alvin
07-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Tyson had plenty of talent as a KO artist, but when it comes down to pure boxing he wasnt THAT Skilled.. solid at best, but he has had some of the sickest KOs and delivered some of the cleanest hits in boxing.. but like Killer said when he faced guys that were better boxers then him he couldnt do nothin.

Sometimes I'm not sure if you two are are the same page as everyone else (KI & AS)?!

Better boxers than Tyson:

Pinklon Thomas KO'd
Travor Berbick KO'd
Bonecrusher Smith Unanimous Dec
Tony Tucker Unanimous Dec
Tony Tubbs KO'd
Tyrell Biggs KO'd
Larry Holmes Ko'd (alright, I'll concede an over the hill Holmes)
Mike Spinks KO'd
Carl Williams Ko'd
Razor Ruddock beaten twice

Now you could argue that none of these fighters were an Ali or Lewis, but at the time they were the best in the HW division & Tyson whooped them all. Tyson only started getting beat when Robin Givens got her disgusting claws in him & fucked up his head.

With that said I've always thought that a Ali in his prime Vs Lennox Lewis in his prime would have been an awesome fight.

Afro
07-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Sometimes I'm not sure if you two are are the same page as everyone else (KI & AS)?!

Better boxers than Tyson:

Pinklon Thomas KO'd
Travor Berbick KO'd
Bonecrusher Smith Unanimous Dec
Tony Tucker Unanimous Dec
Tony Tubbs KO'd
Tyrell Biggs KO'd
Larry Holmes Ko'd (alright, I'll concede an over the hill Holmes)
Mike Spinks KO'd
Carl Williams Ko'd
Razor Ruddock beaten twice

Now you could argue that none of these fighters were an Ali or Lewis, but at the time they were the best in the HW division & Tyson whooped them all. Tyson only started getting beat when Robin Givens got her disgusting claws in him & fucked up his head.

With that said I've always thought that a Ali in his prime Vs Lennox Lewis in his prime would have been an awesome fight.
Buster Douglas, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield.. outclassed by all 3

then he comes back crazy as ever and loses to Danny Williams and Kevin McBride granted he was over the hill.. there still loses.

Alvin
07-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Buster Douglas, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield.. outclassed by all 3

then he comes back crazy as ever and loses to Danny Williams and Kevin McBride granted he was over the hill.. there still loses.

Do you really think that if Givens wasn't a factor Tyosn would have lost to Douglas????

So you's say that Berbick, Holmes & Leon Spink where better than Ali cos they beat him at the end of his carreer????

Or maybe Ruiz, Bryd, Donald or Toney was a better fighter than Holyfield???

You'll be one of a very few my friend!

Afro
07-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Do you really think that if Givens wasn't a factor Tyosn would have lost to Douglas????

So you's say that Berbick, Holmes & Leon Spink where better than Ali cos they beat him at the end of his carreer????

Or maybe Ruiz, Bryd, Donald or Toney was a better fighter than Holyfield???

You'll be one of a very few my friend!
Im not sayin those guys are better then him, well let me rephrase my original post I shouldnt of said BETTER boxers, I should of said Good to Great instead.. is that NOT true? he didnt beat Holyfield or Lewis, how many great boxers has Tyson beaten? or how many very good ones? not many at all IMO and loses no matter at what stage in your career can tarnish your legacy. You dont think those loses hurt Ali at all? they didnt kill his legacy but left a little scratch. I am not sayin McBride is better then Tyson either just saying Tyson couldnt beat them.. nor could he beat good boxers like Lewis and Holyfield.

Alvin
07-04-2006, 07:30 PM
There you are again.

I have to assume that you never followed boxing during Tyson's emergence. At the time Pinklon Thomas was an excellent boxer, as was Tony Tubbs, Tony Tucker, Tyrell Biggs, trevor Berbick & Mike Spinks. 6 boxers who in today's game would probably be world champions.

Lewis & Holyfield were the changing of the guard from the era of Tyson. McBride & Williams beat a has-been.

Let me put it this way. Who would your money be on in an mma match between Bas Rutten & Minotauro today?

I would be shocked if you (hand on heart) thought Rutten would win. Was Rutten a poor champion? No.

Afro
07-04-2006, 07:45 PM
There you are again.

I have to assume that you never followed boxing during Tyson's emergence. At the time Pinklon Thomas was an excellent boxer, as was Tony Tubbs, Tony Tucker, Tyrell Biggs, trevor Berbick & Mike Spinks. 6 boxers who in today's game would probably be world champions.

Lewis & Holyfield were the changing of the guard from the era of Tyson. McBride & Williams beat a has-been.

Let me put it this way. Who would your money be on in an mma match between Bas Rutten & Minotauro today?

I would be shocked if you (hand on heart) thought Rutten would win. Was Rutten a poor champion? No.
so your basing this on the times? sorry but I Dont think Tubbs, Biggs, Berbick, or Tucker are that good.. Spinks yes, Buster Mathis yes.. the rest there solid at best IMO

Alvin
07-04-2006, 07:54 PM
so your basing this on the times? sorry but I Dont think Tubbs, Biggs, Berbick, or Tucker are that good.. Spinks yes, Buster Mathis yes.. the rest there solid at best IMO

Right, they were just handed their world titles!?!?!?
(Although, I admit I thought Biggs (I know, never a WC) was very overrated myself!)

Afro
07-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Right, they were just handed their world titles!?!?!?
(Although, I admit I thought Biggs (I know, never a WC) was very overrated myself!)
bein world champ means that there good? thats not always the case.. I just dont like boxers that have lost 10 times to guys that have lost 12 times. Tyson has beaten his fair share of good boxers.. but he hasnt beaten or was not near as dominate to be considered Top 10-20 worthy which you hear a lot of people saying he is thats why I think hes overrated, he was a power puncher with short reach.. when facing a great boxer he got beat plain and simple.

Alvin
07-04-2006, 08:04 PM
bein world champ means that there good? thats not always the case.. I just dont like boxers that have lost 10 times to guys that have lost 12 times. Tyson has beaten his fair share of good boxers.. but he hasnt beaten or was not near as dominate to be considered Top 10-20 worthy which you hear a lot of people saying he is thats why I think hes overrated, he was a power puncher with short reach.. when facing a great boxer he got beat plain and simple.

No, you're quite right. Being a world champion does not make you good!!!!!!!

Seriously, what planet are you from?

There are thousands & I mean thousands of boxers in every weight class around the world. Only 3 (I'll concede 4 with the WBO, but I ain't counting all the other shit around!) can be world champion at one time & a lot of them get unified. So whether you or I rate them or not, they HAVE to be good to get a title shot & they HAVE to be good to win a world title.

Anyways I'm bored now. We obviously have different opinion on this topic.

Afro
07-04-2006, 08:19 PM
No, you're quite right. Being a world champion does not make you good!!!!!!!

Seriously, what planet are you from?

There are thousands & I mean thousands of boxers in every weight class around the world. Only 3 (I'll concede 4 with the WBO, but I ain't counting all the other shit around!) can be world champion at one time & a lot of them get unified. So whether you or I rate them or not, they HAVE to be good to get a title shot & they HAVE to be good to win a world title.

Anyways I'm bored now. We obviously have different opinion on this topic.
so if someone is champ in a weak weight class that makes them a Great boxer then right? sorry just dont agree with that.. its not about the title, its about who you beat and lose to IMO.

WandAXE
07-13-2006, 06:51 AM
Buster was just a man that saw a chance to win and took it, other than that Buster sucked wasnt even on a real boxing level. Such as Evander a real boxer that Tyson did not want any part of in his prime. On the other hand would have beat down Rocky, Tyson, and Evander. But if you should all know Ali the best ever. In three fights Ali would beat anyone .