PDA

View Full Version : What do you pay for your BJJ membership?

Sniggles
02-22-2013, 02:20 AM
I am shopping around BJJ gyms and wondering what a reasonable price in your eyes for a monthly membership.

Thanks! :dancingsmile:

MIZjitsZOU
02-22-2013, 02:24 AM
50 bucks. I get 2 classes and an open. Pay five bucks extra a class when I can go to more. I think it is 70 a month at my gym for unlimited classes and opens.

MIZjitsZOU
02-22-2013, 02:29 AM
You should be able to try gyms for a week for free. Go do that and decide which instructor will be the best for you. How many gyms are there where you live?

Dan
02-22-2013, 11:02 PM
I pay 45 per month for unlimited classes. That includes drill classes, sparring sessions, open mat times, conditioning and seminars. 45 is about $70, around the same as Miz, and it's pretty reasonable.

Sniggles
02-24-2013, 04:27 AM
50 bucks. I get 2 classes and an open. Pay five bucks extra a class when I can go to more. I think it is 70 a month at my gym for unlimited classes and opens.

Half a dozen. The quotes I am getting are 100-200 a month and was wondering what others pay.

MIZjitsZOU
02-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Half a dozen. The quotes I am getting are 100-200 a month and was wondering what others pay.

Not sure what you are referring to? Half a dozen?

Oh, I get it. Half a dozen gyms.

If you know you won't be there every day see if they will do a deal for two classes and a open, or whatever.

I live in Missouri. Stuff is probably cheaper here. It is also probably more expensive if you go with a Gracie school, or a big name school.

Try a couple out. You should be able to do a week free. Find a gym you feel comfortable at.

Sniggles
03-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Not sure what you are referring to? Half a dozen?

Oh, I get it. Half a dozen gyms.

If you know you won't be there every day see if they will do a deal for two classes and a open, or whatever.

I live in Missouri. Stuff is probably cheaper here. It is also probably more expensive if you go with a Gracie school, or a big name school.

Try a couple out. You should be able to do a week free. Find a gym you feel comfortable at.

Right on. Thanks.

Knee MRI appointment in June. Yes, it does take 9-12 months to a year to get a MRI in Canada.

My knee has been slipping and buckling alot recently.

mmawolverine
03-02-2013, 01:45 AM
best of luck with the knee problem

ive been checking out places in VA DC area lately nothing under 100/month bucks around here

only one place i really found interesting, twice a week bjj think it was 140 per month no contract and 120 if you agree to a 6 month contract, funny the adults always seem less willing to learn than the teens, im 28 now and i cant seem to find adults my age that are serious about bjj and i dont want to and cant take classes with teens unless its the "open" period

Sniggles
03-02-2013, 08:05 AM
best of luck with the knee problem

ive been checking out places in VA DC area lately nothing under 100/month bucks around here

only one place i really found interesting, twice a week bjj think it was 140 per month no contract and 120 if you agree to a 6 month contract, funny the adults always seem less willing to learn than the teens, im 28 now and i cant seem to find adults my age that are serious about bjj and i dont want to and cant take classes with teens unless its the "open" period

My guess would be that adults are less willing to fail to succeed than teens due to programming and life experience. That would be how I used to be.

Dan
03-03-2013, 10:57 AM
My guess would be that adults are less willing to fail to succeed than teens due to programming and life experience. That would be how I used to be.

So true, man. Kids don't seem to have any inhibitions, but I'm constantly trying to convince my friends to come along to BJJ, but it just seems like the second you suggest to a friend that they come and try it, a wall comes up and the excuses start. I just wish I could make them see that taking up grappling will change their life, in one way or another.

Ramma
03-03-2013, 03:51 PM
I pay 75 a month for 2 classes a week (all I can make right now), or 100 a month for 3 classes a week (or you can do $120 for unlimited). Great school. East Coast.

Best thing you can do is find a smaller, privately owned school with a good instructor.

$175-200 is a rip off unless you're going to a very high caliber school or there is something else special about it. I was in a combined Muay Thai/BJJ school (1 business with two separate owners doing separate things. Not like a hybrid shit school) for 6 years (only left because I moved too far away), and I got a deal to train in both schools for $150 (originally $120, but inflation is a bitch). Both were very good instructors. Pretty much training every day, any time. And I live in NJ. One of the most expensive areas in the country.

So for anywhere between $150-200, you better be getting something special.

Can't hurt to find some reviews on the schools you're looking at.

NinjaShogunRua
03-20-2013, 09:05 PM
$150 is about the average if you have a quality black belt instructor. We have 7 black belts, so the rate is a little higher. Don't know where you guys live, but some of the rates I'm hearing sound really low.

0mega1
03-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Right on. Thanks.

Knee MRI appointment in June. Yes, it does take 9-12 months to a year to get a MRI in Canada.

My knee has been slipping and buckling alot recently.

:huh:

are you kidding me? Id be pissed if I had to wait 9 days. That is straight up BS right there.

on topic: I really want to start taking BJJ classes but I have little to no time on my hands as of right now.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
03-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I pay $300 every three months and that allows me as many classes as I want to attend(7 days a week, several Gi and No Gi classes a day until 11pm, Wrestling fundamentals and occasional muay thai training if there's enough interest, MMA sparring for guys who are going that way and then there's the advanced MMA class that will utterly fuck you up if your cardio isn't 100% raging...

Obviously, when we bring in special guys for seminars, it is more money, but I like the facilities and trainers and the variety of Gi and No Gi is very nice.

KevoOnTheRadio
03-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Fuckin Christ I'm poor. I'll never be able to afford BJJ classes.