PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Hatton vs. Jose Luis Castillo in June

Salvy_Mic
02-21-2007, 12:32 AM
This is one of the big fights of the first half of this year, and even though Hatton unfairly got stripped of his IBF title, he still has more meaningful Ring title to defend against Castillo, and arguably, the biggest fight of Hatton's career. If Hatton wins, I don't see much else for him to do at 140 honestly. He's already said he won't fight fellow Brit Junior Witter, and the other titlists, Souleymane M'Baye, Lovemore N'Dou, and Ricardo Torres, don't bring money to the table. For Hatton, all the big fights are at welterweight, and unlike the first time he moved up, against Collazo, he can prepare himself better. The only thing Hatton can really do at Jr. Welterweight after a win over Castillo would be to wait on Diego Corrales or wait for Demetrius Hopkins to become a champion and/or star soon. As for Castillo, should he win, he would probably have no problem taking fights against the other titlists, but the most logical thing would be to wait for Corrales, to have the final match of their trilogy, The Battle of the Bulge if you will.

As for the fight itself, it should be hard hitting and action-packed. Both Castillo and Hatton have similar styles, which should make for a highly entertaining, possibly even FOTY-worthy, match. In the end, I think Hatton's youth will overtake Castillo's experience in either a close decision or a very late round stoppage, and especially for Ricky Hatton, make the winner a big star.

Afro
02-21-2007, 12:42 AM
this has already been a great year for boxing on paper

Punk Ass
02-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately, I think Hatton is too fast and unrelenting for JLC

Luis Cruz
02-21-2007, 10:48 AM
This is one of the big fights of the first half of this year, and even though Hatton unfairly got stripped of his IBF title, he still has more meaningful Ring title to defend against Castillo, and arguably, the biggest fight of Hatton's career. If Hatton wins, I don't see much else for him to do at 140 honestly. He's already said he won't fight fellow Brit Junior Witter, and the other titlists, Souleymane M'Baye, Lovemore N'Dou, and Ricardo Torres, don't bring money to the table. For Hatton, all the big fights are at welterweight, and unlike the first time he moved up, against Collazo, he can prepare himself better. The only thing Hatton can really do at Jr. Welterweight after a win over Castillo would be to wait on Diego Corrales or wait for Demetrius Hopkins to become a champion and/or star soon. As for Castillo, should he win, he would probably have no problem taking fights against the other titlists, but the most logical thing would be to wait for Corrales, to have the final match of their trilogy, The Battle of the Bulge if you will.

As for the fight itself, it should be hard hitting and action-packed. Both Castillo and Hatton have similar styles, which should make for a highly entertaining, possibly even FOTY-worthy, match. In the end, I think Hatton's youth will overtake Castillo's experience in either a close decision or a very late round stoppage, and especially for Ricky Hatton, make the winner a big star.

Hatton was stripped or actually gave up the titles both times because he didn't want to fight the mandatories or he decided to move weights. It was deserved, he can't hold on to titles if he's not going to fight in that division. When he went to 147 it was a wakeup call, he had plenty of time to prepare. He's good at 140 but the guys at 147 will be too big and too strong for him, he won't be able to muscle them around as he did at 140. He won't even crack the top 5 if he stayed at 147. Junior Witter has been dying for a fight with him and begged for a big showdown in England but Hatton refuses which to me if someone wants to fight you and it would be a huge payday at your home and you say no, then you're ducking them. What if Americans didn't fight Americans or other countries doing the same? We would barely have a sport so that's a shitty excuse for him. Diego is fighting at 147 in his next fight, he's skipping right over 140, so that won't happen unless they talk him down to weight or Hatton goes up. But i think that's a real bad move for Corrales and he's going to get beatup jumping up so far in weight at this point in his career.

I agree this Hatton/Castillo fight could be FOTY caliber, but i think Castillo could pull this off. Hatton hasn't seen someone who fights like him with hard body punching, that could be very bad for him while Castillo has been in wars with some of the very best in the sport so Hatton won't be anything new to him. I don't think anyone will win by stoppage but the decision could go either way. If Castillo's rough career has caught up to him, then it'll be a long night for him but if he brings his A game it'll be a long night for Hatton. A very good fight on paper either way, i can't wait.

Hypergit
02-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Junior Witter has been dying for a fight with him and begged for a big showdown in England but Hatton refuses which to me if someone wants to fight you and it would be a huge payday at your home and you say no, then you're ducking them. What if Americans didn't fight Americans or other countries doing the same? We would barely have a sport so that's a shitty excuse for him.

Nonsense.

Hatton has dominated the UK for years, and is moving on to the bigger paydays, opponents and fame in the US before retirement. It has nothing to do with him ducking, and the 'what if Americans didn't fight Americans' analogy sucks hard because (a) it is the polar opposite scenario and (b) he's fought plenty of Brits (and indeed the rest of the world less the US). Shame on you. ;)

Luis Cruz
02-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Nonsense.

Hatton has dominated the UK for years, and is moving on to the bigger paydays, opponents and fame in the US before retirement. It has nothing to do with him ducking, and the 'what if Americans didn't fight Americans' analogy sucks hard because (a) it is the polar opposite scenario and (b) he's fought plenty of Brits (and indeed the rest of the world less the US). Shame on you. ;)

That was a counterargument from a fan. I didn't just say the American fighters, i also said other countries. Yes he did make a living fighting nobodies in England but why didn't he ever step up and fight Witter. Witter didn't just start calling him out yesterday, he's been. But Hatton kept taking fights with has beens and no names in England. He took on washed fighters that went over there instead of a real threat like Witter who would have made him more money than any other person he faced with the exception of possibly Tszyu. And thanks for helping my point, HE said he didn't want to fight another countryman but spent his whole career doing it?? Make sense, i think not. He has one of the most padded records in boxing, that is fact. He did come to the U.S. NOW to make a name here and this is the first fight he's actually facing an opponent people see as a threat to him even though Castillo hasn't looked too stellar as of late, i still think it'll be a good fight. A fight with Witter in England is a HUGE payday if they fought over there don't kid yourself, those arenas are huge. He seems like a really cool guy outside the ring and he's a humble and respectful fighter before and after, that i like. But his career is nothing even close to calling great and his picks for fights are very VERY suspect, the proof is in his resume.

Punk Ass
02-21-2007, 01:11 PM
That was a counterargument from a fan. I didn't just say the American fighters, i also said other countries. Yes he did make a living fighting nobodies in England but why didn't he ever step up and fight Witter. Witter didn't just start calling him out yesterday, he's been. But Hatton kept taking fights with has beens and no names in England. He took on washed fighters that went over there instead of a real threat like Witter who would have made him more money than any other person he faced with the exception of possibly Tszyu. And thanks for helping my point, HE said he didn't want to fight another countryman but spent his whole career doing it?? Make sense, i think not. He has one of the most padded records in boxing, that is fact. He did come to the U.S. NOW to make a name here and this is the first fight he's actually facing an opponent people see as a threat to him even though Castillo hasn't looked too stellar as of late, i still think it'll be a good fight. A fight with Witter in England is a HUGE payday if they fought over there don't kid yourself, those arenas are huge. He seems like a really cool guy outside the ring and he's a humble and respectful fighter before and after, that i like. But his career is nothing even close to calling great and his picks for fights are very VERY suspect, the proof is in his resume.

I agree. Not only that, this is a very bad style match up for JLC. I think Hatton's people know this. JLC is slow. He's a good, hard nosed fighter, like most Mexicans but he gets hit a lot, and is not very ring savy. Perfect for someone who throws many punches and stays in your face. I don't think we will see Hatton fight Casamayor or PBF. I think they would box rings around him.

Afro
02-21-2007, 01:24 PM
I got Hatton by TKO

Salvy_Mic
02-21-2007, 07:12 PM
I honestly think Hatton should fight Witter at some point, to shut him up at the very least. At some point, it'll get to the point where Witter'll become a big enough name to get Hatton's attention, and Hatton'll have no choice but to fight him, if he wants to save face. But the lure of the real big money fights at 147 will probably be too much for Hatton just to stay at 140 his whole career. He'll definitely be the smallest of the big-name welters, at only 5'6", whereas I know for sure Margarito, Cintron, Mosley, Cotto, and Mayweather have more than at least 2 inches of height on him, and fighting Williams would be like fighting Lennox Lewis for Hatton. He'll go up, there's too many names for him not to go up and make a superfight.

Dork8503
02-22-2007, 05:25 AM
PBF said after oscar he is going to fight hatton to shut him up

Hypergit
02-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Witter didn't just start calling him out yesterday

But could it be that Hatton has chosen the path of greater reward rather than the path of less risk? Because if so then that would not be 'ducking' imo, but making the correct decision.

HE said he didn't want to fight another countryman but spent his whole career doing it?? Make sense, i think not.

Maybe he was tired of fighting his countrymen and wanted to move on having now made a decent name for himself in the US after Tszyu. Makes sense to me.

A fight with Witter in England is a HUGE payday if they fought over there

Sure, but he wants the big fights in America. That's where the real superfights are with international prestige as well as ultimately more $. He's already a multi millionaire anyway, so to understand his motivation you gotta look beyond single paydays.

Punk Ass
02-22-2007, 01:04 PM
But could it be that Hatton has chosen the path of greater reward rather than the path of less risk? Because if so then that would not be 'ducking' imo, but making the correct decision.

Maybe he was tired of fighting his countrymen and wanted to move on having now made a decent name for himself in the US after Tszyu. Makes sense to me.

Sure, but he wants the big fights in America. That's where the real superfights are with international prestige as well as ultimately more $. He's already a multi millionaire anyway, so to understand his motivation you gotta look beyond single paydays.

I don't really care about any of this shit. If he is willing to fight Joel Casamyor, Frietas, PBF, or even Margarito, then I'll finally be able to prove he's not as good as people think he is :devil:

Hypergit
02-22-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't really care about any of this shit. If he is willing to fight Joel Casamyor, Frietas, PBF, or even Margarito, then I'll finally be able to prove he's not as good as people think he is :devil:

lol yeah - you will have totally proven it. Btw, who have you seen actually predict he would beat PBF?

Hatton has fought is it now 5 champions in a row and he annihilated the seemingly invincible Tszyu yet he still gets thoroughly disrespected and dismissed. Last undefeated champ I saw receive such a lack of respect was Calzaghe. Wait, he's British too... :confusedsmilie:

Punk Ass
02-22-2007, 02:06 PM
lol yeah - you will have totally proven it. Btw, who have you seen actually predict he would beat PBF? Sorry I thought you might have figured as much.

[/QUOTE]Hatton has fought is it now 5 champions in a row and he annihilated the seemingly invincible Tszyu yet he still gets thoroughly disrespected and dismissed. Last undefeated champ I saw receive such a lack of respect was Calzaghe. Wait, he's British too... :confusedsmilie:[/QUOTE]

He's good, don't get me wrong, but a little to one dimensional for my tastes. He's a very bad match up for many fighters because he only knows one speed (forward.) I honestly doen't see him beating Casamayor and think that would be a great match up, and very good boxing lesson. Isn't Casamayor the rightful 140lb Champion??

Hypergit
02-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Isn't Casamayor the rightful 140lb Champion??

Na - Hatton beat the man, so he's the man to beat.

Punk Ass
02-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Na - Hatton beat the man, so he's the man to beat.

Your right. Joel is at 135. 140 really isn't that good of a division I just looked at the rankings. I would say, at this point the only good fight for Hatton would be D Hopkins (B Hops Nephew)