PDA

View Full Version : Pop

Metalhead
02-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Just curious as to what you guys think of Coke Zero and Fresca. Sugar free and calorie free drinks. Is it possible that they're not really that bad for you? I find that I like to have a drink besides water or milk with lunch but I dont' know what to have. Fresca and coke zero seem like a good idea. Thoughts?

Clint
02-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Naturally water is your best option but any of the calorie free sodas will be fine as long as it's in moderation. One or two a day won't hurt.

Also make some green tea - iced tea with some splenda. I drink a ton of green tea on a daily basis.

Rufio
02-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I drink orange juice or ready-made protein shakes throughout the day, myself. Isopure and ABB Blue Thunder taste awesome, though they're expensive.

Clint
02-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I drink orange juice or ready-made protein shakes throughout the day, myself. Isopure and ABB Blue Thunder taste awesome, though they're expensive.

I would watch the orange juice, it typically has a ton of sugar in it, which is bad except postworkout.

Metalhead
02-21-2007, 03:16 PM
yeah, I was drinking these "no sugar added" juice in a can for lunch, but they dont' really taste good and they've gotten boring. I also think they probably have a lot of natural sugar. That's why I'm leaning towards a fresca or coke zero at lunch. I just want to make sure that no sugar and no calorie is truthful and doesn't have something else added in there that is not good.

Clint
02-21-2007, 03:49 PM
The sodas and the flavored waters are going to have chemicals in them that aren't neccisarily good but as long as it's in moderation, they shouldn't be a concern.

As for sodium, as an athlete, as long as you aren't looking to cut weight in the near future it's fine for you.

liddell316
02-22-2007, 11:20 PM
You can find flavored water that are fairly low in sodium.

Warchief
02-23-2007, 10:28 AM
The sodas and the flavored waters are going to have chemicals in them that aren't neccisarily good but as long as it's in moderation, they shouldn't be a concern.

As for sodium, as an athlete, as long as you aren't looking to cut weight in the near future it's fine for you.
Clint i just read this in flex magazine year ago, a bodybuilder named jay cutler... half an hour before he lift weights, he drink one glass of coke mix of whey protein...what can say about that?

Clint
02-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Clint i just read this in flex magazine year ago, a bodybuilder named jay cutler... half an hour before he lift weights, he drink one glass of coke mix of whey protein...what can say about that?

Well the first thing that comes to mind is ewww but what I think he was going for is your postworkout shake should have a ratio of 2:1 of high GI sugars to whey protein and alot of people claim that taking the postworkout shake 1/2 before you workout and 1/2 after works better than taking all of it after.

The problem is that the sugars in Coke are the wrong sugars. They are mostly High Fructose Corn Syrup and what you actually want are Dextrose or Maltodextrin. What would be better is gatorade and whey protein.

Warchief
02-23-2007, 11:38 AM
gatorade and whey protein.
I will try these, thanx

supermark21
02-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Just curious as to what you guys think of Coke Zero and Fresca. Sugar free and calorie free drinks. Is it possible that they're not really that bad for you? I find that I like to have a drink besides water or milk with lunch but I dont' know what to have. Fresca and coke zero seem like a good idea. Thoughts?
the problem with diet sodas is the phosphoric acid. I read a study in US News that the acid makes women 8x more likely to develop osteoporosis. Studies on men are taking place now. It's only long term but still bad.

Clint
02-23-2007, 02:18 PM
the problem with diet sodas is the phosphoric acid. I read a study in US News that the acid makes women 8x more likely to develop osteoporosis. Studies on men are taking place now. It's only long term but still bad.

That's why I said that they have to be in moderation. It causes a calcium deficiency over long term but then again people don't intake enough calcium as is. It's also an issue in the sense that your body being alkaline is preferable and it's an acid but this is managable if you are eating the number of veggies that you should be.

supermark21
02-23-2007, 07:38 PM
That's why I said that they have to be in moderation. It causes a calcium deficiency over long term but then again people don't intake enough calcium as is. It's also an issue in the sense that your body being alkaline is preferable and it's an acid but this is managable if you are eating the number of veggies that you should be.
True. 2004 was the first year documented where milk wasnt the #1 caloric intake for drinks. Soda took it over so there's a double wammy for you.

Metalhead
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM

Are Fresca and Coke Zero basically "Diet Citrus" and "Diet Coke that tastes more like Coke?"

Clint
02-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Are Fresca and Coke Zero basically "Diet Citrus" and "Diet Coke that tastes more like Coke?"

Yeah they are all basically diet soda. Although some don't even have the phosphoric acid. Just look at the ingredients and see (although like I said it's not that big of a deal in basic moderation)

Noob
02-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Especially with soda you shouldn't have any real concerns if it's in moderation. When you start carrying around those old-school Big Gulp containers and you've used it so often that the emblem on the front has worn off, then you should worry. High fructose corn syrup is nasty stuff if you're not active and it is present in a lot of what you eat.