PDA

View Full Version : Adware/Spyware

Boo
02-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Hey, do you guys realize the forum is loaded with adware/spyware now? I run a program to get rid of it every time I'm on on the site now. If anyone's computer is slowing down, I suggest you check for adware/spyware.

BTW, I did make sure by cleaning off the adware/spyware before I came on the site and then immediately after. The longer you are online, the more you get.

Hypergit
02-23-2007, 09:33 AM
I noticed this, but I gave up complaining about adds etc because nobody with sufficient authority seems to give a fuck.

Clint
02-23-2007, 09:38 AM
I haven't noticed them but I'll PM Cruz and see what he knows. Neither of us really have any power over the adds. That's all under the umbrella of the guy that owns the site.

Boo
02-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Well at least this should make people aware. "Ad-Aware" seems to catch all of them, at least from this site. You can download the program for free.

Hypergit
03-16-2007, 02:02 PM
The popups are getting increasingly agressive now, y'know the ones that whatever you click it tries to install shit. I think it's starting to take the piss to be honest. I've probably done a dozen accidental clicks now, and it fucks me off that someone is making money from deliberately wasting my time and computer resources.

Noob
03-16-2007, 11:22 PM
I don't know what combination of programs it is that I'm running that does the trick, but I don't have any popups or banners or hyperlinked words anywhere on the site. I've noticed the stuff when I log-in from other computers, but my home PC I don't see anything. No popups, no banners, nothing.

Luis Cruz
03-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Same with me. I have the preimum norton so i don't see anything, even annoying banners are blocked completely. If there is a windows installer when you open a page on the forum that should not be there. That stuff drives me absolutely crazy because it's completely uncalled for to mess with people's pcs and i doubt anyone gets more enraged than i do when it happens/happened to mine. But they weren't suppose to be on here, the owner was getting ads and telling them no windows installer crap with them but apparently if some of you are still getting it, those ad idiots aren't listening. We'll have to let him know and get that taken care of.

Doghouseboxing just started this shit with windows installer and popups and banners like crazy, i don't even go there anymore to read news because of it.

Matt Boone
03-17-2007, 03:11 PM
I've got nothing but google blocker and I don't see a f'n thing. Once every 10 pages (just a guess on the amount) I see a normal TribalFushion pop up window that's easily closable with one click. Aside from that and blue links, I haven't seen anything on the forums.

Matt Boone
03-17-2007, 03:13 PM
MattBoone 4 2 0: do we got spyware on the forums again
Infamous**: not that i know of
MattBoone 4 2 0: got complaints started up in a new thread
Infamous**: ill look into it
Infamous**: shouldnt be on there

That's the owner. We'll keep you updated.

Steve88
03-17-2007, 05:16 PM
using firefox smashes any popups / adware.

firefox for life, IE is shit.

Hypergit
03-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Firefox catches most of them, but I still get some nasty ones slipping through the net. Hopefuly Infamous will sort it now.

Noob
03-17-2007, 05:53 PM
using firefox smashes any popups / adware.

firefox for life, IE is shit.

Firefox is awesome. I'll never switch back to ie. :angrrry:
Git, you can equip firefox with some extra pop-up blockers, make sure even the most clever ones don't get through. Works for me, I've never gotten a popup on this forum.

Matt Boone
03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
"Infamous**: well if i get an email saying "Hey, CPX interactive is serving a spyware ad" then there is something i can do"

AKA - he needs a specific example. He says from his end he don't see nothing about spyware on the forums. So basically there shouldn't be. I haven't seen any myself ever so I can't give him examples. If anyone out there can, he says he'll go further into it and fix it. If we don't get examples he said there's not much he can do.

Hypergit
03-27-2007, 11:06 AM
"Infamous**: well if i get an email saying "Hey, CPX interactive is serving a spyware ad" then there is something i can do"

AKA - he needs a specific example. He says from his end he don't see nothing about spyware on the forums. So basically there shouldn't be. I haven't seen any myself ever so I can't give him examples. If anyone out there can, he says he'll go further into it and fix it. If we don't get examples he said there's not much he can do.

Ok, here's an annoying (and illegal?) popup that I've had a couple of times (with Firefox blocker running). Dont know if this one actually installs anything but it certainly wants to lol - just got it again today:

First a windows type box comes up saying something to the effect of, "your computer is infected, would you like to run a system scan?" with boxes for 'Ok' and 'Cancel'. There is also a cross to close the box at top right. Anything you press takes you here and closes mmanews.com:

http://www.errorsafe.com/pages/scanner/index.php?aid=scienceyt_uk_en_ed2&lid=keyin&ex=1&p=4&ax=1&rdbl=0&h=&affid=

closing this then leaves you with another windows style box saying (paraphrased again), "You haven't completed the scan blah blah, would you like to download our software?" Again with 'Ok' and 'Cancel' boxes. This time it is possible to get rid of it.

Boo
08-18-2007, 01:10 AM
I thought this needed to be bumped just to illustrate how long ago I was complaining about the adware. It hasn't got any better.

neonatural45
08-18-2007, 01:16 AM
I thought this needed to be bumped just to illustrate how long ago I was complaining about the adware. It hasn't got any better.

to be honest I think that even with the great new admins the suggestions/feedback forum is a lost cause

Boo
08-18-2007, 01:20 AM
to be honest I think that even with the great new admins the suggestions/feedback forum is a lost cause
Neo, I saw in another thread a comment that it was the first Boone had heard of Adware/Spyware on the forum. Although I understand he doesn't have much control over the problem, it was disingenuous to say that.

neonatural45
08-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Neo, I saw in another thread a comment that it was the first Boone had heard of Adware/Spyware on the forum. Although I understand he doesn't have much control over the problem, it was disingenuous to say that.

well im willing to give him the benefeit of the doubt, this thread was made when I had like 10 posts lol. He might have forgotten

but saying that I imagine I wouldnt be in the same mind set if i got some viruses

Boo
08-18-2007, 01:47 AM
Probably the thing that bugs me the most is the insinuation that the problem is mine and that I just need to switch browsers. I've used the same browser (updated) for at least 15 years. I've got it customized exactly the way I want it with 100s of favorites organized just right and the last thing I want to do is switch so I can frequent ONE website. I don't have this problem elsewhere. See what I mean?

No one is holding a gun to my head to come here though. I got fed up and stayed away, but I've been bored lately and missing some of the folks..... so here I am. I certainly can leave when it pisses me off enough. One poster plus or minus won't make any difference. That's life, can't have everything my way. In fact, the more I think about it, I should have just left well enough alone.

neonatural45
08-18-2007, 01:52 AM
Probably the thing that bugs me the most is the insinuation that the problem is mine and that I just need to switch browsers. I've used the same browser (updated) for at least 15 years. I've got it customized exactly the way I want it with 100s of favorites organized just right and the last thing I want to do is switch so I can frequent ONE website. I don't have this problem elsewhere. See what I mean?

No one is holding a gun to my head to come here though. I got fed up and stayed away, but I've been bored lately and missing some of the folks..... so here I am. I certainly can leave when it pisses me off enough. One poster plus or minus won't make any difference. That's life, can't have everything my way. In fact, the more I think about it, I should have just left well enough alone.

well its unfortunate becuase your a very good poster but ya the situation kind of sucks. I must be doing something right becuase I have no spyware or anything and I come here alot, but if I did I would probably be in your shoes

Boo
08-18-2007, 01:59 AM
well its unfortunate becuase your a very good poster but ya the situation kind of sucks. I must be doing something right becuase I have no spyware or anything and I come here alot, but if I did I would probably be in your shoes
You are running Ad-Aware, I hope?

Maybe Canadians are exempt? That's it, the ads only hate Americans...lol.

Legend
08-18-2007, 02:15 AM

Well there are two things I would tell you. First you don't have to switch browsers completely. Just use Firefox for this particular site. Kinda a pain but it's better then having to run scans every time you come here. Secondly, get Trend micro. Bare none the best all around security system out there imo. I have to frequent some forums are are completely infested with spyware and addware so I can get my fellow TTR members bootlegs. And Trend micro keeps my pc clean. But yeah having this bullshit on the forums in the first place is messed up and Boone is full of shit saying this was the first time he had every heard of the spyware issue in that other thread.

Storm442
08-18-2007, 02:28 AM
Wow, I remember this thread from 6 months ago !!

(I use FireFox with Flash-block so it doesn't affect me ... but I see Boo's point)

Boo, what exactly is ad-aware reporting to you?
cookies? javascript? exe's?

I'm curious.

~Storm

Boo
08-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Wow, I remember this thread from 6 months ago !!

(I use FireFox with Flash-block so it doesn't affect me ... but I see Boo's point)

Boo, what exactly is ad-aware reporting to you?
cookies? javascript? exe's?

I'm curious.

~Storm
I sent you a PM with a picture of the list. I'm sure it will mean a lot more to you than to me.

Well there are two things I would tell you. First you don't have to switch browsers completely. Just use Firefox for this particular site. Kinda a pain but it's better then having to run scans every time you come here. Secondly, get Trend micro. Bare none the best all around security system out there imo. I have to frequent some forums are are completely infested with spyware and addware so I can get my fellow TTR members bootlegs. And Trend micro keeps my pc clean. But yeah having this bullshit on the forums in the first place is messed up and Boone is full of shit saying this was the first time he had every heard of the spyware issue in that other thread.

There's a thought. Thanks for the suggestion Legend.

By all around security system do you mean it covers viruses, adware, spyware, and phishing? How about a firewall?

Legend
08-18-2007, 05:32 AM
There's a thought. Thanks for the suggestion Legend.

By all around security system do you mean it covers viruses, adware, spyware, and phishing? How about a firewall?

Yes all of that. And it has a great firewall.

Storm442
08-19-2007, 06:40 PM
OK, the screenshot Boo sent me was of cookies on the computer... kind of a low-medium risk (not as bad as javascripts or .exe's that are being loaded.)

---------------

I will assume you're using Windows XP - IE-5.0/6.0 (Microsoft's Internet Explorer) --I haven't loaded IE7.0 yet, so I'm unsure if the directions are the same or not.

You can easily defeat these from getting on your machine by changing your settings to prompt you before accepting cookies.

Try: TOOLS--> INTERNET OPTIONS --> PRIVACY--> ADVANCED.
From there, change both radio buttons to "Prompt" and check the box allowing session cookies.

What this will do is force a box to come up everytime a site (or a site's ads) try to place a cookie on your machine. It takes a little work at first, but after a while you'll have a collection of cookies that you WILL allow and some you won't. Not all cookies are bad, you need them for legitimate sites like airlines/ebay/amazon/mmaworld.org ...etc. A cookie can store useful information about your last visit and remember who you are for ease of logging in everytime.

When you the box comes up prompting you check the box to make the decision permanent, then either "allow" or "deny" the cookie. (deny all the ones that you see in the screenshot that you sent me.)