PDA

View Full Version : Working Out at Work

Clint
02-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Does anyone else try to get atleast a little exercise in while at work? If so, what do you guys do?

Here is my situation, I'm a software developer part time at a small/mid sized company while I finish my EE degree. Then I am full time when not in school (and will be after I graduate). That correlates to 8 hours a day (atleast 3 days per week) in a computer chair, so I try to find subtle ways to exercise (they are rather open as a company but they would probably frown on pushups or something like that)

Here is what I have/ am considering:
* I have some Heavy Grips grippers that I play with (150lbs and 250lbs)
* I have a powerball that I use when there aren't too many people in my section of the office
* I bought one of those exercise bikes that just has the pedals, so that you can put it under a desk and pedal while typing and shit, but my fiance loves using it at home so I'm gonna have to buy another one for work

Anyone else do anything like this?

AudieMurphy1
02-26-2007, 03:58 PM
me and some co-workers go for a walk during lunch occasionally but uits more stress relief than work out:confusedsmilie:

Clint
02-26-2007, 04:10 PM
me and some co-workers go for a walk during lunch occasionally but uits more stress relief than work out:confusedsmilie:

That's one of the things I like about the grippers, when the program I am writing pisses me off I can just squeeze the fuck out of one of them. That's generally when I get the closest to closing the 250lb one.

I'm also tempted to buy some jumpstretch bands both because they would be nice to use to workout with at home without weights and I could use the smallest ones for some isolation type exercises at work: (hold it down with my foot and curl it, sit on it and do triceps). If I just sit too long, I feel lazy and then I don't want to do anything.

EDIT: I figure I should note that most of this stuff isn't going to give me any sort of serious workout, but I figure it should be enough to burn some extra calories/keep my metabolism going and it just makes me feel better. The exception might be the grippers, those fuckers are tough on your grip strength.

AudieMurphy1
02-26-2007, 04:25 PM
i honestly wish i had more time at luch for stuff like this, i'd love to squeeze in a few minutes of jumping rope or something, but i gotta wear a suit and tie and there aint no shower here so i'm kinda screwed when it comes to working out at work:banghead:

Clint
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
i honestly wish i had more time at luch for stuff like this, i'd love to squeeze in a few minutes of jumping rope or something, but i gotta wear a suit and tie and there aint no shower here so i'm kinda screwed when it comes to working out at work:banghead:

Yeah depending on where I get put on contract a shirt and tie will probably be required. That's why I try to find stuff that's good but not too intense. I don't want to spend all day sweaty.

Metalhead
02-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Personally I don't work out at work although I could. I really don't want to get a sweat on.

The one thing I do though, is get up at least every half an hour and walk around for a bit. Stand while talking on the phone or watching youtube vids :devil:

AudieMurphy1
02-26-2007, 08:01 PM
i been thinking about bringing a rupture proof ball to sit on at work.....but everyone will probably look at me like i'm crazy.....oh, wait, i am crazy:blink:

Warchief
02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Me i before i go to work i give my time for at least one hour to work out...then while i rest for about 30 minutes before i take a bath i eat some food and taking vitamins for recovery...in my day off, i exercise or trained 2 hours wether weight lifting or cardio, it's important that you have a time management.

Clint
02-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Me i before i go to work i give my time for at least one hour to work out...then while i rest for about 30 minutes before i take a bath i eat some food and taking vitamins for recovery...in my day off, i exercise or trained 2 hours wether weight lifting or cardio, it's important that you have a time management.

Again this isn't supposed to be my only workout, this is just supposed to keep my metabolism up while I'm sitting all day except for the stuff like Grip work which I can actually do pretty hard while at work.

Anyways I have to be at work at 9:00 and it takes an hour to get there. So working out before work would be tough without getting up at 5 am.

Noob
02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Again this isn't supposed to be my only workout, this is just supposed to keep my metabolism up while I'm sitting all day except for the stuff like Grip work which I can actually do pretty hard while at work.

Anyways I have to be at work at 9:00 and it takes an hour to get there. So working out before work would be tough without getting up at 5 am.

I've been thinking about doing the grip-training thing during the day. You feel like it benefits your grip strength practically, or is it purely stress-relief?

Recommend any particular grip trainers?

Clint
02-26-2007, 09:09 PM
I've been thinking about doing the grip-training thing during the day. You feel like it benefits your grip strength practically, or is it purely stress-relief?

Recommend any particular grip trainers?

I think it's helped my grip, but not as much as stuff like fat grip farmers walks but the grippers definatly help. Brand wise I would say go with Captain of Crush (COC) or Heavy Grip. You can usually get sets of the Heavy grip ones on Ebay for a decent price. I would say with a 150lb and a 200lb if you grip strength is about average.

Also it would be a good idea to buy one of those little stress balls to use for some active recovery and warm up along with the grippers. That way you don't get tard-hards an drop stuff all day.

I was thinking about filling an 8" peice of 2" outside diameter pipe with old ball bearings and lead and then using that for timed holds since it would be small enough to keep in my desk but heavy enough to work but then I realized that it would look like I'm bringing a pipe bomb to work. So I might see if I can find a used heavy dumbell on craigslist and cut the heads off and hold them for time.

Noob
02-26-2007, 09:14 PM
I think it's helped my grip, but not as much as stuff like fat grip farmers walks but the grippers definatly help. Brand wise I would say go with Captain of Crush (COC) or Heavy Grip. You can usually get sets of the Heavy grip ones on Ebay for a decent price. I would say with a 150lb and a 200lb if you grip strength is about average.

Also it would be a good idea to buy one of those little stress balls to use for some active recovery and warm up along with the grippers. That way you don't get tard-hards an drop stuff all day.

I was thinking about filling an 8" peice of 2" outside diameter pipe with old ball bearings and lead and then using that for timed holds since it would be small enough to keep in my desk but heavy enough to work but then I realized that it would look like I'm bringing a pipe bomb to work. So I might see if I can find a used heavy dumbell on craigslist and cut the heads off and hold them for time.\

Haha, yeah the pipebomb could negatively affect your upward mobility career-wise. Not a bad idea if you hate your job though. Thanks for the recommendation, I've been half-thinking about something like that for a while and I may just go ahead and pick some up. Appreciated.

Warchief
02-27-2007, 05:48 AM

That's what i always do clint i trained at least 1 hour before i go to work...believe me or not, i already get used to it.

Clint
02-27-2007, 06:34 AM
That's what i always do clint i trained at least 1 hour before i go to work...believe me or not, i already get used to it.

See I can't I've tried getting up early and working out but I have no motivation that early so my workouts aren't intense at all (plus I like to have at least one meal in before lifting), so I have to wait until after work. Thats why I try to keep active enough at work that I still feel good and not like I've sat around for 8 hours.

Metalhead
02-27-2007, 06:20 PM
When you walk around the office focus on contracting you calf muscles. Also, is it true you can get a work out by just flexing your muscles.

Clint
02-27-2007, 06:52 PM
When you walk around the office focus on contracting you calf muscles. Also, is it true you can get a work out by just flexing your muscles.

Yeah I think isometrics are underrated/overlooked by alot of people. They aren't going to make you super strong but you can still throw them in throughout the day.