PDA

View Full Version : Why is Oscars name not among the greats?

Afro
03-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Oscar has beaten some great, great boxers

hes been one of the biggest names in boxing for a long, long time

now im not an oscar fan so I dont give two shits about where he ranks among the best

but I always found it odd knowing his track record, and who hes beaten that he is nothing more then an honorable mention

Discuss.

Dork8503
03-12-2007, 03:27 AM
did you see iton a website or somthing, but i concider him one of the greatest boxers, he has beaten the best fought the best, and has been a huge draw so if that doesnt make you one of the greatest of all time then i dont know what does

Afro
03-12-2007, 03:28 AM
ESPN Top 22 Best Boxers

im sure if I looked up the Best Boxers list I wouldnt see his name either

hell hes missed out on a lot of honorable mentions too

Noise Chopped
03-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Hello Afro Samurai - figure we'd talk about boxing again, :wavesmile:. Seriously though:

22 Best Boxers, of every weight class, in all the history of boxing? You'd put him in that list? Keeping in mind ALL weight classes, in ALL the years of boxing? Don't know, but to me it ain't a tough call. He doesn't belong in that list. He definitly would if it were his weight class alone, but all the weight classes in the history of boxing; I can't put 'em there.

Why? Well, through NO fault of Oscars, there's just been so many greats. It speaks to the greatness that is boxing, more than it does how great a champion Oscars' been. And I like boxing, and I consider him to be one of the greatest ever - But not top 22 greatest, sorry, hah.

He's promoted himself great in the past, and present, and future (?). He's been a huge fuckin' star for a long time, probably moreso than a lot of the guys on that twenty two greatest boxers list. What can you/I say? He's charming as fucking hell, he's got the fanbase, and the skill - I don't see it as a bad thing at all.

Sorry Oscar, but again - In all the weight classes in all the history of boxing? Definitly not in my top 22 (and that's NOT an insult, believe me).

Afro
03-12-2007, 03:55 AM
I wouldnt put him in that list, no sir im just saying the way hes talked about.. the guys hes beaten, the publicity you would think he'd make some sort of list but no.. I could think of 25 better then Oscar.

Hell I can think of someone who isnt Top 25 that is better then Oscara and will prove it May 7th. :grinsmile1:

Punk Ass
03-12-2007, 04:28 AM
I wouldnt put him in that list, no sir im just saying the way hes talked about.. the guys hes beaten, the publicity you would think he'd make some sort of list but no.. I could think of 25 better then Oscar.

Hell I can think of someone who isnt Top 25 that is better then Oscara and will prove it May 7th. :grinsmile1:

Uhhh, no he wont lol

Anywayz, is this the list you got it from? http://ezinearticles.com/?TOP-TEN-Pound-4-Pound-Best-Boxer-Ever&id=25070

I really don;t like what they said about Roy because "they must have forgot" how he cleaned out divisions and beat JT and BHop easily but they did give him a very high spot so thats good.

Afro
03-12-2007, 04:36 AM
I got it from a ton of lists and ESPN

but I like that rankings cuz they are spot on about Rocky Marciano

Salvy_Mic
03-12-2007, 07:40 AM
As impressive as Oscar's been in his career, and as big a fan as I am of his to begin with, Oscar does have a hard time cracking a top 25, because any of the guys above him have accomplished more and accomplished it in more dominating fashion. If Oscar had gotten the W in the Trinidad fight (which he deserved) and the second Mosley fight (which he also may have deserved), then his case for top 15 status is easy.

Anyway, I have a top 10 P4P list:
1. Muhammad Ali
2. Sugar Ray Robinson
3. Joe Louis
4. Marvin Hagler
5. Sugar Ray Leonard
6. Roberto Duran
7. Julio Cesar Chavez
8. Willie Pep
9. Jack Dempsey
10. Rocky Marciano

Dork8503
03-12-2007, 08:03 AM
can someone give me a link to the lists thanks, i cant wait for may to get here to see pbf get a beating

Noise Chopped
03-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Glad someone mentioned that Trinidad fight - 'Cause I'm still mad at him for having done what he did in those last rounds. REALLY fucking mad. So much so that, even though I think he won, I'm glad he didn't. That was complete and utter bullshit, and a shame 'cause he could have solidified an even higher rank if he'd just kept at Trinidad. He deserved the W, but he sure as hell didn't go after it.

Afro
03-12-2007, 09:58 AM
As impressive as Oscar's been in his career, and as big a fan as I am of his to begin with, Oscar does have a hard time cracking a top 25, because any of the guys above him have accomplished more and accomplished it in more dominating fashion. If Oscar had gotten the W in the Trinidad fight (which he deserved) and the second Mosley fight (which he also may have deserved), then his case for top 15 status is easy.

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Sugar Ray Robinson
3. Joe Louis
4. Marvin Hagler
5. Sugar Ray Leonard
6. Roberto Duran
7. Julio Cesar Chavez
8. Willie Pep
9. Jack Dempsey
10. Rocky Marciano
ehh id have Jack Johnson and Henry Armstrong in My Top 10.. just me

Punk Ass
03-12-2007, 04:55 PM

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Sugar Ray Robinson
3. Joe Louis
4. Marvin Hagler
5. Sugar Ray Leonard
6. Roberto Duran
7. Julio Cesar Chavez
8. Willie Pep
9. Jack Dempsey
10. Rocky Marciano

I don;t see how Jack Johnson is in there. They really had no defense back then. They fought with their hands down, and Jack Johnson would have whipped Dempsy's ass. I could also make an argument for Sweet Pea to be in the top 10. And why no Tyson or RJJ?

Afro
03-12-2007, 05:31 PM
I don;t see how Jack Johnson is in there. They really had no defense back then. They fought with their hands down, and Jack Johnson would have whipped Dempsy's ass. I could also make an argument for Sweet Pea to be in the top 10. And why no Tyson or RJJ?
Jack Johnson is the original though, gotta have him in there

I dunno about Tyson, but RJJ u can make a case for.. def case for the most underrated boxer to walk the earth PERNELL WHITAKER!

best finese boxer ever, better then Wille Pep IMO

Salvy_Mic
03-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Willie Pep won an entire round without throwing a single punch. That probably gets votes for top 5 status right there. Just that in and of itself makes Pep the greatest finesse boxer of all time, with Sweet Pea a close 2nd. As for Tyson or RJJ, the opposition hurt them, and also, it's just my opinion that Dempsey (who beat absolutely everyone good back in his day) and Marciano (who retired undefeated) deserved to be in the top 10 a bit more. I suppose if I had to extend from 11-15, I'd go: 11-Jack Johnson, 12-Henry Armstrong, 13-George Foreman, 14- Joe Frazier, 15- tough, either Pernell Whitaker, Roy Jones, Jr., Bernard Hopkins, or Mike Tyson.

Bear in mind, this is my opinion. Make your own list if you disagree with me.