PDA

View Full Version : post workout nutrition

djpowers33
03-13-2007, 02:43 AM
I just got done reading a lot of the info on the links on this site, very useful. I lift weights, run, and play sports on a pretty regular basis and have always just tried to eat more protein in the meals following strennous workouts. I see the error of my ways now and understand i need a liquid with a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein in order to rebuild broken down muscles efficiently and effectively. So my question is what product should I buy to use as my post workout recovery drink? There are so many out there and I am a bit overwhelemed in how to go about choosing one and don't want to get ripped off either.

Clint
03-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Biotest Surge is a high quality product but kind of expensive.

Another choice is to make a cusotm blend at www.trueprotein.com or www.proteinfactory.com. I would suggest something like this:
30%: Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, High Grade
30%: Dextrose (aka d-glucose; a short-chain insulin-spiking carbohydrate)
30%: Maltodextrin (the glucose polymer; a medium-chain insulin-spiking carbohydrate)
5%: Creatine Monohydrate
5%: Branched Chain Amino Acids
30%: Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, High Grade
30%: Dextrose (aka d-glucose; a short-chain insulin-spiking carbohydrate)
30%: Maltodextrin (the glucose polymer; a medium-chain insulin-spiking carbohydrate)
5%: Creatine Monohydrate
5%: Branched Chain Amino Acids
Price: $5.83 per lb and adjust your serving to the amount of protein you need

Your last and cheapest choice is to just use gatorade (which surprisingly has the right carbs in it) and whey protein.

Rufio
03-13-2007, 03:14 AM
I've actually heard that the carbs aren't all that important immediately afterward if the protein you're taking is whey. So I dunno. I usually take ABB's Blue Thunder, which has both high and low glycemic carbs, along with whey protein isolate. Then after I get home, I take Gold Standard's stuff which is whey isolate, along with 1% milk. I was taking Isopure, but that's expensive as hell. I may just start ordering it online. Along with that, I just eat instant oatmeal or bagels which both have high glycemic carbs. I'm gaining mass at a steady rate, although my strength gains have slowed since I've been taking fat loss supplements and doing more cardio.

djpowers33
03-13-2007, 03:24 AM
I"m going to try gatorade/whey first since it's cheapest and see how it works for me. Once I start working I'll upgrade and see if I can tell the difference. Thanks for the help gents!

p.s. the FAQ part of the nutrition forum was really thorough and well done IMO, thanks for the hard work

Clint
03-13-2007, 03:43 AM
I"m going to try gatorade/whey first since it's cheapest and see how it works for me. Once I start working I'll upgrade and see if I can tell the difference. Thanks for the help gents!

p.s. the FAQ part of the nutrition forum was really thorough and well done IMO, thanks for the hard work
No problem. I actually have to finish up the FAQ sometime when I get some more free time (and get inspired to work on it some more)

djpowers33
03-13-2007, 03:54 AM
I decided to go with the mix from trueprotein. 30 bucks for about 30 uses probably isn't bad, way cheaper than gatorade/whey in the long run.

Clint
03-13-2007, 05:48 AM
Yeah a dollar a day for a post workout drink isn't bad at all.

liddell316
03-13-2007, 09:02 PM
So if you're taking protein drinks like Whey, you drink it before or after your workout? Or both?

Clint
03-13-2007, 09:34 PM
The jury tends to be split on that one. Best would probably be 1/2 before 1/2 after but honestly I doubt the difference is enough to matter.

Rufio
03-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Speaking of that FAQ, one thing goes against what I've read: that you can't burn fat and build muscle at the same time. Granted, you gain muscle or burn fat FASTER if you work specifically for each (a ton of calories and little cardio for muscle; a lot of cardio and reduced calories for fat burning), but it's entirely possible to do both at the same time. It just occurs at a more gradual and steady rate. The trick is to keep the amount of energy you expend very close to that you take in.

At least that's what I've read, and it seems accurate in my experience.

Clint
03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Speaking of that FAQ, one thing goes against what I've read: that you can't burn fat and build muscle at the same time. Granted, you gain muscle or burn fat FASTER if you work specifically for each (a ton of calories and little cardio for muscle; a lot of cardio and reduced calories for fat burning), but it's entirely possible to do both at the same time. It just occurs at a more gradual and steady rate. The trick is to keep the amount of energy you expend very close to that you take in.

At least that's what I've read, and it seems accurate in my experience.

The problem though is you have to have excess calories to build muscle and you have to have a calorie deficit to burn fat. Naturally you can't have both of those so what happens when you stay right around where your at a caloric zero (calories in = calories out) is that you end up fluctuating back and forth where some days you are over and some days you are under.

So effectively you are still only doing one or the other at one time, just in shorter cycles. Which is fine. I'm all for that kind of strategy since it allows you to keep your body guessing a little more but for most people it requires more planning and constant adjustment than they can really deal with. I should probably actually clarify all of that in the FAQ.