PDA

View Full Version : Sit-ups and Push-ups

Afro
03-15-2007, 11:45 PM
How many Sit-ups and Push-ups would be a good amount to do per day or every other day?

What kind of Sit-ups and Push-ups are the most effective?

Rufio
03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
I only do pushups when I can't get to the gym. As for sit ups, according to a Jeff Monson-sized personal trainer I've talked to, 30-something situps is good. Stay away from resistance ab machines since you don't want your abs BIG -- just defined. It's best to do your situps slowly and concentrate on using all the muscles.

Afro
03-16-2007, 12:01 AM
just 30 regular situps?

Rufio
03-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Actually, I usually do 35 straight up crunches, slowly and making sure my abs bend at both points (people usually just use their top abs when doing fast situps), then I do 35 going to my left and 35 going to my right. My abs are sore as hell after that. Sometimes I use one of the decline benches at the gym for a better range.

Just raising my knees up high in jogging works for my lower abs.

KENO5366
03-16-2007, 01:04 AM
You dont want to over do it with the push ups. You can do a good amount though and be alright. I wouldn't do push ups every day, I just mix them in with my benchpressing. Sit ups I like to think army, lots of reps. I use the ab-roller, and do cruches and leglifts.

Rufio
03-16-2007, 01:43 AM
I tend to do abs on the same day as legs. When I do my upper body, I try to get it all done fast, as I've heard that after an hour, your body's cortisol level has risen and it's much harder to get gains from the additional work you do. At least according to some people, over an hour is overtraining.

Clint
03-16-2007, 10:32 AM
It depends on what you are doing them for:

Pushups are great for endurance training but suck for strength gains (since your not increasing the resistance), so for endurance do as many of them as you can in circuit fashion: Pushups, Situps, Rows, Shadowbox, repeat or something of that fashion

Situps are again good for enurance but do heavier things if you are looking to strengthen your core.

Rufio
03-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Strength gains aside, do you know how much pushups help with regards to adding definition to your muscles?

Clint
03-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Definition is more related to having a lower bodyfat percentage. So they will help but more as a side effect of the endurance work.

Rufio
03-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I know lack of body fat is the main thing, but I thought that some excercises "shape" your muscles more than others.

Clint
03-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Some do but honestly not all that much, so I don't really factor it into my exercise choices. Especially since a push up isn't really all that different from a bench press.

That being said I really like one handed medicine ball pushups where you do pushups with one hand on the floor and the other on a medicine ball held all the way out from your body so you can only really use it for balance.

strife
03-17-2007, 08:42 PM
If I were you I wouldn't just focus on sit-ups and push-ups unless you only want an upper body physique to impress people at the beach. When I was training I would do Frank Shamrocks "100's workout" 2 times a week.

100 squats, 100 sit-ups, 100 push-ups, 100 shots, 100 srawls, 100 bridges, 100 elevators, and 100 stand-ups. Taking a 20-second break in-between each exercise before moving onto the next.

Since you seem like you just want it for personal gains and not so much training I'd cut out the shots, sprawls, elevators and stand-ups. Change the 100 squats to 100 jump squats and you have a pretty good core exercise to do at least 3 times a week. Try it out and add the other exercises if you want. This should help build muscle endurance and work your cardio as well.

Monsterman
03-18-2007, 04:36 AM
You can gain streght with doing only push ups. Easy way to increase resistance is to put a box under your your feet, the bigger the box the bigger percent of your bodyweight is on your arms. When you feel strong and comfortable doing push up with the box under your feet, you can take the next step and put smaller boxes under your hands. That makes the movement longer and much harder to do.
This was just an exercise you can do instead of bench press, with my english it would take a week to tell you about training the whole body. But you can become stronger without going to gym, by doing one legged squats, pull ups, push ups, sit ups etc. With little changes you can make the movements either hard or easy, depending how many reps you want to do.
And donīt worry about the numbers, do as many reps as you can do with good technique, and donīt do sets to the absolute end.

Metalhead
03-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Do as many as you can whether it's 5 or 500 then do ten more.

WMP
03-21-2007, 08:44 PM
I do push ups on my fists, on my fingertips and I do Hindu Pushups. I also do pushups with my feet elevated on my bed and my hands on the floor.

I do sit ups without any momentum. I leave my hands by my side and just sit up and got back down.

I also do this exercise...it's me in the pic...

http://geocities.com/zao_wmp/CCBridge3.JPG