PDA

View Full Version : Need help losing weight.

Punk Ass
03-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi, I would like to shed about 30 lbs. I'm 6'1 220 and I have a beer belly. What exercizes should I do that will be the most effective in losing weight and how much should I do? (take note that I barely work out at all.)

Also, I was thinking of changing my eating habbits. What kinds of foods are the healthiest to eat and how do I know how many calories a steak has if the package doesn't say? Also, how many calories is good per day when trying to lose weight?

Clint
03-17-2007, 01:39 PM
First worry less about the number of calories and more about getting the right foods. Eat every 3 hours and make sure that there is a protein source and a serving of veggies at EVERY meal. Also try to avoid non fruit or veggie carbs except for post workout. Once you've got that under control, then worry about calorie numbers otherwise you just end up overwelhmed.

As for exercise. Do weight lifting 3 days per week to help maintain your muscle mass and try for cardio 3 to 5 days per week. Do interval training if you can but if you're not up for that yet try walking and jogging.

Check out the FAQ sticky at the top, there are quite a few solid links in it that should help.

Rufio
03-17-2007, 03:29 PM
I'd also eat more boneless skinless chicken instead of ground beef or steak. And drink tons of water.

Punk Ass
03-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks for yours help guys.

matto
03-17-2007, 07:51 PM
yes grilled boneless skinless chicken tastes great but way better for you then fried or broasted chicken. iv seen guys that dont look fat anywhere on their bodys but have a pot belly, rather then being fat throught their body, i would presume that it is a beer belly, is that right?

strife
03-17-2007, 08:29 PM
If you are just looking to shed inches off your waste and get rid of a beer belly I'd honestly buy one of those gay 8 min abs tapes and do those, along with some leg raises 4 times a week. Or you could join a BJJ gym and train BJJ, it's a great way to lose weight.

Highlander
03-17-2007, 10:20 PM
If you are just looking to shed inches off your waste and get rid of a beer belly I'd honestly buy one of those gay 8 min abs tapes and do those, along with some leg raises 4 times a week. Or you could join a BJJ gym and train BJJ, it's a great way to lose weight.

Since you brought up bjj. I was wondering where you live and where you train? This way you could tell me how much it cost for a membership. I've been thinking about joining a bjj gym for a while now, but the closest one to me is about 5 hours away.

Clint
03-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Honestly the 8 moinute abs things will be a waist of time since you can't burn fat off of a specific region. The time would be better spent doing something like tabata squats (hell 4 minutes is all I can handle for them)

BJJ is a great way to get in shape though since you're more likely to stick with a martial art than working out, in the long run. Muay Thai is also a good choice (and even more of a calorie burn)

Monsterman
03-18-2007, 04:43 AM
Best way to burn fat is to walk or jog with empty stomach right after you wake up, then you have no carbs in your body so you must use bodyfat for energy, and your hormonal state is good for burning fat right after sleep.

matto
03-18-2007, 08:08 AM
yes striking like muy thai or kickboxing would let you burn a lot more calories then in bjj or ground martial arts where u stay on the ground most of the time, thought it does provide with a good workout and the gi's r very hot.

matto
03-18-2007, 08:12 AM
honestly the best way to lose weight is to eat healthy and get on the treadmill a lot. raise the incline all the way and go at almost a jogging pace for an hour a day, and then go at a jogging pace without the incline for 2 minnutes and every 3rd minnute raise it up to a sprint and then back down for u to recover. that will do wonders for your cardio and endurance, but for pure calorie burnage raise the incline a lot.