PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Section

Howie
03-22-2007, 03:12 AM
i like this idea. i think we should put ideas together and move forward with it. its a really cool idea

Noob
03-22-2007, 04:22 AM
I'm for it. I think we should make sure that the bulk of most conversations stay in the Generall MMA arena, but I like the idea of having a separate area for the vets. I think post count should be taken into consideration, and a general vote-in. So some combination of the two should determine entry.

Ubermensch
03-22-2007, 04:50 AM
I am normally not an elitist but I think this is a good Idea only because after every PPV there are a bunch of new Fans or members trolling or putting up uninformative rebuts to a normal conversation about the fight. I really don't want to post after a fight because of some Anus is speaking from a nonsense point of view and the persistent arguing that ensues. Just my two cents.

Noob
03-22-2007, 07:00 AM
I am normally not an elitist but I think this is a good Idea only because after every PPV there are a bunch of new Fans or members trolling or putting up uninformative rebuts to a normal conversation about the fight. I really don't want to post after a fight because of some Anus is speaking from a nonsense point of view and the persistent arguing that ensues. Just my two cents.

I hadn't even thought about that but it's a very good point. I hate having to avoid this place for a good three or four days after an event. Yet if I'm daring enough to try and post it sucks having to slog through 18 pages of nonsensical arguing by ChuckRulesTitoDrools, MikeSwickChamp, or MelvinGuillard=DreamBoat23.

I'm a little uneasy about this site becoming overly-elitist, but I really do like this idea so long as we can trust everyone to be mature about it and not abandon the General MMA and other high-volume portions of the site.

Someone please make this happen.

Legend
03-22-2007, 07:03 AM
I think the idea is ok. If it was set up, I think post count, vote in, and length of membership should all be considered when giving people access to the section.

Hypergit
03-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Would be cool I suppose, although I don't see a real need for it. I also foresee problems with entry criteria. For example:

Post count - we would have to let in people like Palma and other post whores. It would also encourage post whoring.

Vote - cool dudes like me would not be let in. Also, who would want to do a boat load of votes all the time?

Length of membership - people who joined ages ago but never post would get in, and more recent but valuable additions to the forum wouldn't.

Basically, I don't think it could work (not fairly anyway) and don't really think it's necessary either. nice idea though.

Legend
03-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Would be cool I suppose, although I don't see a real need for it. I also foresee problems with entry criteria. For example:

Post count - we would have to let in people like Palma and other post whores. It would also encourage post whoring.

Vote - cool dudes like me would not be let in. Also, who would want to do a boat load of votes all the time?

Length of membership - people who joined ages ago but never post would get in, and more recent but valuable additions to the forum wouldn't.

Basically, I don't think it could work (not fairly anyway) and don't really think it's necessary either. nice idea though.

I also do not really think it is necessary but for fun let’s discuss your worries. The possible problem with the criteria you brought up can be worked around. I was thinking you would have to meet all three requirements. For example you would be required to have at least 1,000 post, be voted in by the mods (Boone, Cruz, Clint, and Bullock), and have been an active member for at least 6 months. But that is just crap off the top of my head so whatever. Just a thought. As for not working fairly. Well nothing is every 100% fair all the time.

P.S. You better watch it or Palma is going to rip you a new asshole.

AudieMurphy1
03-22-2007, 07:54 PM
iagree with ubermench and i also think git raisedsme reall greatpoints about the criteria

Hypergit
03-22-2007, 08:15 PM
git raisedsme reall greatpoints

Thanks.... are you on drugs?

I was thinking you would have to meet all three requirements.

I don't think that significantly negates the unfairness of the criteria. It may even exasperate it as anyone who falls foul of 1/3 would not qualify.

Just a thought. As for not working fairly. Well nothing is every 100% fair all the time.

That is true, but unnecessary situations that simply cannot be fair should be avoided imo.

You better watch it or Palma is going to rip you a new asshole.

That's ok. It sounds like fun, plus you can never have too many assholes.

AudieMurphy1
03-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks.... are you on drugs?

lol...yes

killerinstinct
03-22-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm just nervous I wouldn't reach the requirements.:sadsmile1:

Noob
03-23-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm just nervous I wouldn't reach the requirements.:sadsmile1:

Lol.

Howie
03-26-2007, 10:30 PM
i guess its something the mods will need to take a look at...

Afro
03-27-2007, 02:56 AM
You mean like a Premium section of the forum? please god make this happen, the trolls are getting annoying

Howie
03-27-2007, 03:32 AM
i totally agree

Anthony
03-27-2007, 05:52 AM
I dont like the idea. No one is better then anyone else.

Howie
03-27-2007, 11:30 PM
im better than you :)

Noob
03-27-2007, 11:40 PM
im better than you :)

But Tom is better than all.

Steve88
03-27-2007, 11:52 PM
My post count is sad, and I haven't been here a long time but I'd like to think I don't make retarded posts..

Boo
04-03-2007, 09:09 AM
No you probably don't Steve88. Most new people don't. It's just the explosion after every UFC event. If 100 people register, and five are idiots that make 100 posts in two days, it tends to run the regulars off. Before I had another forum to escape to I just avoided this forum after an event for several days.

Like I said, I really don't need an escape hatch anymore, but I can understand why you guys would want one.

Howie
04-12-2007, 05:45 AM
i think this needs to be re thought

Hypergit
04-12-2007, 06:05 AM
i think this needs to be re thought

Why? And how do you think it could be actioned fairly?

Boo
04-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Who said life is fair?

Legend
04-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I do not think it will be necessary if we get some new mods to help keep this place troll/bullshit free.

AudieMurphy1
04-12-2007, 05:24 PM
I do not think it will be necessary if we get some new mods to help keep this place troll/bullshit free.

I nominate you for douche patrol :grinsmile1:

Hypergit
04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Who said life is fair?

Life not being fair is adequate justification for doing unfair things?

Jza
04-12-2007, 11:34 PM
In the eyes of many Git that is what they believe yes.
Otherwise we'd all still go to church on sundays instead of sinning :p

Clint
04-13-2007, 07:54 PM
There is actually a reputation system on here that would work well for this, especially since you can only affect someone's reputation if your reputation is high enough. Once I read more about it and get things all figured out I'll try something out. Maybe I'll figure out a setting that only people with a certain rep or higher can make new threads and implement it right around PPV time on the general MMA forum.

Clint
04-13-2007, 08:50 PM
okay here is how I have it set up at the moment. If you have a reputation of 100 OR (100 posts and have been here atleast 60 days) then you will change from a registered user to a thread starter. Around the time of an event I will set it so that regular users can do everything as normal, except make new threads.

There are also safegaurds to prevent people from misusing the reputation system. I'll try it out and see how it goes next event.

Clint
04-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Is that the littel green bar under our post count?
Yeah, I was expecting a number though. I wonder if that's changable

Clint
04-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Meh the reputation system is this beautiful setup on the back end but the front end sucks. You don't even notice it.

NixHex
04-14-2007, 06:00 AM
I was wondering what that green thing was. Then ya had me thinking if it's been there the whole damn time lol, I thought I smoked myself retarded.

TapOut27
04-14-2007, 07:10 AM
I think it is a good idea...but for someone like me for instance, does not have a huge post count, but contributes to the forum on a daily basis.

Howie
04-14-2007, 07:34 AM
good idea. very good idea actually

Boo
04-15-2007, 01:59 AM
Life not being fair is adequate justification for doing unfair things?
No it's not, I was being flippant (sp?).

strife
04-15-2007, 05:57 AM
Honestly git....a vote isn't hard at all. You simply click a little circle that says "yes" or "no". A vote is the only way to do this accurately.

Noob
04-15-2007, 08:40 AM
So what's the deal with this idea, is anything ever going to happen with this?

Noob
04-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Let's put it to a vote.

Clint
04-15-2007, 08:48 AM
I think with a veterans section we would lose out on good debates in the regular forums. I think instead if we limit thread starting during events (and once the kinks are worked out possibly all of the time) then we can have the discussions on the main forum without all the moronic threads overtaking everything.

Noob
04-15-2007, 09:10 AM
I think with a veterans section we would lose out on good debates in the regular forums. I think instead if we limit thread starting during events (and once the kinks are worked out possibly all of the time) then we can have the discussions on the main forum without all the moronic threads overtaking everything.

That's probably a good compromise. Did you put that thread-starting rule into effect tonight? I saw someone with 8 posts start a thread. It's still on the main page of the General forum. Something about Chuck Liddell.

http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=8096

Boo
04-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Honestly git....a vote isn't hard at all. You simply click a little circle that says "yes" or "no". A vote is the only way to do this accurately.
Oh for crying out loud, it's that easy? I've been avoiding these poll things because they are SO intimidating. P.S. How is your recovery going Strife? Can you drive yet or are you still all cooped up?

Sounds good to me Clint.

Clint
04-15-2007, 07:26 PM
That's probably a good compromise. Did you put that thread-starting rule into effect tonight? I saw someone with 8 posts start a thread. It's still on the main page of the General forum. Something about Chuck Liddell.

http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=8096
Nah for the time being I am only going to implement the restriction the day and and maybe the day after big events. Then once I have that implemented I might make it a small requirement for thread starting anytime and then a more stringent requirement for event time.

Noob
04-16-2007, 01:05 AM
Nah for the time being I am only going to implement the restriction the day and and maybe the day after big events. Then once I have that implemented I might make it a small requirement for thread starting anytime and then a more stringent requirement for event time.

That sounds good. See how it plays out, and then work from there. Good thinking.

Highlander
04-16-2007, 02:18 AM
I lkie the idea of the veteran's section, if I was able to use it, I wouls still talk on the general forum and the other ones.