PDA

View Full Version : Jermain Taylor vs. Cory Spinks

Matt Boone
03-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Just heard on Friday Night Fights that this one is coming up soon...what do people think of this match up?

Punk Ass
03-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Terrible match up. Taylor is way to big for Spinks and Spinks has no power. I say Taylor by KO in round 6.

Salvy_Mic
03-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I think Edison Miranda had it right. If Taylor beats Spinks, he officially becomes the best Jr. Middleweight in the world. Unfortunately, he's the Middleweight champion. Oh well, what can you expect, they wanted him to fight Mora, but that dumbass pulled out, so a fight against Spinks is a good regional matchup between a champion from Little Rock and a champion from St. Louis. I agree with harlemhustla though, Jermain Taylor is much too big for the feather-fisted Cory Spinks, and Spinks can get knocked out. Really, what Spinks has going for him is a so-called boxer's chance...he's gonna have to thoroughly outbox Taylor in order to win, and he is a better technical boxer than Taylor, so that's not entirely out of the question.

The fight could be interesting, but this card is held together by the incredible undercard matchup of Edison Miranda and Kelly Pavlik in a title eliminator for the next crack at Taylor. That should be everything that Miranda/Green was supposed to be. Hopefully, Taylor won't try to duck the winner of this fight, because Miranda and Pavlik are both much harder punchers than Taylor, and in case of a Taylor/Pavlik fight, Taylor for once will be at a size disadvantage.

Matt Boone
03-25-2007, 09:56 PM
It's risky match-making to me, much like his last fight against Kassim Ouma. Even though he handled Ouma, it was a risky match-up where to the public - even if he wins he doesn't gain much. Same thing here. Cory Spinks might be smaller, but he's a crafty dude and could be a style problem for Taylor. I'm not predicting that he will be, but if you look at the risk-reward, it's leaning towards more risk than it is potential reward, as a win over Spinks will likely be similar to the win over Ouma - it won't mean much.

Salvy_Mic
03-26-2007, 05:45 AM
It's the only big fight available at the moment, seeing as how Miranda and Pavlik were already slated to face each other when Taylor's people were still trying to hammer out the details of the potential fight with Mora. Wright is facing Hopkins in either June or July, so that fight is out, so he was left with Cory Spinks, who had been calling him out for a little while. At least Taylor hasn't been fighting bums since he won the title, Hopkins and Wright are future HOFers, and Spinks and Ouma are well-known to the public as tough opponents for anyone.

Other than Spinks, the only other thing Taylor could have done is unified his titles with that of Arthur Abraham, but Abraham won't fight outside of Germany, seemingly, unless the price is right. A Taylor/Abraham fight in L.A. would be good though, L.A.'s got a huge Armenian population that rabidly supports any of their own when they get famous. The Armenian turnout for Vic Darchinyan's last fight in L.A. was quite impressive.

Matt Boone
03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
What's wrong with Castillejo, Soliman or Sturm? This is two fights now against fighters who aren't even ranked at Middleweight.

Punk Ass
03-26-2007, 11:41 PM
What's wrong with Castillejo, Soliman or Sturm? This is two fights now against fighters who aren't even ranked at Middleweight.

Sturm is probably the bigest fight out of them all, only because he gave DLH a run for his money. All the rest would be a pretty easy win IMO and casual fans dont know them.

rockernhb
03-27-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't see Spinks pulling this one out, Tayor is the man right now. Taylor by KO in the 3rd or 4th...

Afro
03-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't see Spinks pulling this one out, Tayor is the man right now. Taylor by KO in the 3rd or 4th...
this aint MMA, Taylor aint KOin him in the 3rd or 4th and damn Taylor is overrated.