PDA

View Full Version : John Duddy - someone school me

Matt Boone
03-24-2007, 03:56 AM
He's 19-0 with 16 KOs I believe, coming off the win over The Contender star (and Cruz's favorite fighting father) Anthony Bonsante.

Cruz or someone, school me on this guy. Is he a legit contender? Someone break him down for me. I've only seen HLs of his fight with Bonsante and it seemed like a war. He's got a flawless record and they were building him up on FNF like he was a big deal.

valheruking
03-24-2007, 05:48 AM
He's definately being treated like a big deal man.
I havent really made up my mind on Duddy yet but i know that he wasnt exactly a world title contender in that match with bonsante.
His fight/win over Yori boy Campas was impressive though but the age of Campas has to be considered.
I believe his fellow irishman Andy Lee probably deserves the hype more ( i know hes more popular in ireland, hes just behind another irsh boxer named Bernard Dunne in popularity in ireland)
But as Jonathan Banks said- Duddy is better looking and has a stronger accent so he is the choice of the media

Afro
03-24-2007, 05:56 AM
I just wish he were a Heavyweight

Punk Ass
03-24-2007, 03:12 PM
He hasn't fought anybody of worth yet IMO. It's too early to really gage how good he is but if I had to, I would say he's a young Micky Ward and that's not saying much.

Salvy_Mic
03-24-2007, 09:58 PM
They're moving Duddy along at a decent pace, and fighting guys like Campas and Bonsante is where he ought to be at this point in his career before they start to step him up to beating fringe contenders and former champs. Duddy needs to work on his defense more, he gets hit way too much, and as good a chin as he does have, he's only going to get bashed by power punchers like Miranda and Pavlik. Otherwise, I like him, he's a young, exciting fighter who puts on a show every time he goes out.

Matt Boone
03-25-2007, 09:59 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Bonsante isn't some big name or highly ranked fighter - and it seemed like it was a close war those two had (again, judged strictly off HLs - never saw the fight). If that's the case he can't be THAT damn good, as they were making him out to be.