PDA

View Full Version : Post workout soreness

Metalhead
03-29-2007, 01:16 AM
Is there anything that will help the muscles feel better after working out. You know how they can get sore for a day or so, well sometimes I'm sore for like 4 days even if it wasn't a killer workout. Even pulled muscles and shit like that, is there any vitamin or something tha will help with soreness?

djpowers33
03-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Is there anything that will help the muscles feel better after working out. You know how they can get sore for a day or so, well sometimes I'm sore for like 4 days even if it wasn't a killer workout. Even pulled muscles and shit like that, is there any vitamin or something tha will help with soreness?

There is some useful info that will help you out under the subtitle "Recovery" in the FAQ section of nutrition. Vitamin E, C, and beta carotene are antioxidants that help repair your cells when they're damaged.

From personal experience, drinking a protein shake with a 2:1 ration of carbs to protein right after I'm done working out and stretching in the shower really seem to help with soreness.

I guess I didn't need to quote that since I'm the first responding....

Palma
03-29-2007, 02:27 AM
If you have pulled muscles then you are doing something wrong. You are either using bad technique or too much weight per rep.

Soreness is a good thing though. Lactic acid builds up over the layer of torn muscle. I'm not exactly sure how it works though.

Best was is to massage that area until the acid breaks up. Sometimes when my legs are sore and a massage won't help I will take a very hot bath or a spa if I can find one. If you stay in long enough you surely will lose a decent amount of the soreness.

If you are working out with the same routine and you aren't getting sore then you need to change up the routine or add more weight to your reps. It is the best indication that you are tearing the top layer of your muscles, which is what you want.

Clint
03-29-2007, 03:07 AM
* PWO shakes will help
* Some people swear by glutamine (other say it does nothing)
* Contrast baths help (Hot and then Cold)
* 15-20 minutes of light to moderate cardio after working out has been shown to remove close to 90% of the lactic acid buildup
* This will sounds weird but put a shot of Apple Cider Vinegar in your PWO shake. It will help.

dudefella
03-29-2007, 03:44 AM
* PWO shakes will help
* Some people swear by glutamine (other say it does nothing)
* Contrast baths help (Hot and then Cold)
* 15-20 minutes of light to moderate cardio after working out has been shown to remove close to 90% of the lactic acid buildup
* This will sounds weird but put a shot of Apple Cider Vinegar in your PWO shake. It will help.
It's basically proven to do nothing. Your body doesn't absorb free-form glutamine.

To me, soreness just tells me that I'm lifting hard enough. Some of my muscle groups get sore more often; chest is always sore after my chest workout, triceps won't be sore no matter what I do, legs most of the time. As long as it's not unbearable, and you don't start getting hurt/lethargic/sick all the time, you're not overtraining, and should be fine.

I'd like to see you do some cardio after 5 sets of full, heavy squats :P

Palma
03-29-2007, 04:05 AM

Are you retarded? He didn't mean after every lifting session. Obviouslly legs will wipe you out too much to run or crosstrain, but it's not like you should do legs more then once a week anyways.

Clint
03-29-2007, 02:41 PM
It's basically proven to do nothing. Your body doesn't absorb free-form glutamine.

To me, soreness just tells me that I'm lifting hard enough. Some of my muscle groups get sore more often; chest is always sore after my chest workout, triceps won't be sore no matter what I do, legs most of the time. As long as it's not unbearable, and you don't start getting hurt/lethargic/sick all the time, you're not overtraining, and should be fine.

Trust me a 20 minute walk around the block or 20 minutes on the elliptical machine afters squats or deads are much better than not being able to move the next day.

Legend
03-29-2007, 03:04 PM
I take allot of vitamins and ones like C & E (which I do take) help with the recovery process. But the major thing for me personally is when I feel really sore it is bc I have not eaten enough. So I eat allot of clean food and 2 to 3 protein shakes a day. Plus just getting enough rest. But I am just trying to put on bulk so that is why I need to eat so much.

SimpleJack
03-29-2007, 03:56 PM
How long have you actually been working out? If you are relatively new, you may need to cut back on the number of sets or amount of weight until your body has acclimated to the beating its taking. No supplement in the world will help if you are overtraining. If you've been at it for a while, take a long look at your diet. Particuarly calcium, potassium, C and E. Then look into a BCAA that contains Glutamine. THAT WILL HELP. If it persists, see a physician and invest in Tiger Balm and a jacuzzi.

Metalhead
03-29-2007, 06:14 PM
I didn't mean pulled muscles from working out. I meant post work out soreness AND when you pull a muscle doing whatever.

It may just be my body getting used to it. My lacrosse team is doing intense core/bodyweight workouts. I feel amazing afterwards, but some soreness lingers around. It's amazing how good it works without even touching weights.

DeVanteSwing
04-07-2007, 10:23 PM
i take glutamine for recovery
also stretching before and after workouts