PDA

View Full Version : The Fedor of Boxing?

valheruking
04-05-2007, 05:38 AM
I was just thinking about the history of both mma and boxing and i started to think of Fedor's dominance in mma,
Some of you guys know a lot about the history of boxing so i thought i should ask you a question i had, which is simply...
Has there been a boxer as dominant as Fedor in the boxing world,
I know that Rocky Marciano was undefeated, but i dont know much about his fights, maybe him?
I know its a hard question as his career isnt over but both Liston and Tyson were really feared until they were defeated and fedor could still lose so who do guys think matches up best with fedors presence in mma, he can be from any weight class or whatever.

Afro
04-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Thats a long list man

ill just name two Roy Jones Jr, Mike Tyson

valheruking
04-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Thats a long list man

ill just name two Roy Jones Jr, Mike Tyson
Yeah man i thought there would be a good few, I was thinking Tyson alright but not RJJ (not that i disagree).
Do you know anything about Marciano, he was undefeated, but i get the impression he was fighting in an easy era, not sure though.

Afro
04-05-2007, 06:42 AM
Marciano was dominate cuz the asshole was the only guy (I dont think anyone does this today either) that made his own damn punching bag that weighed 300 lbs, and he started pushin that around

he has some solid wins on this record, but nothing spectacular.. most of the greats he beat were passed there prime

RJJ Cleared out divisions in his prime, didnt lose a fight until past his prime.. dude was truly dominate, one of the best ever

Tyson was extremely feared and DOMINATE in the 80s

Hagler was feared, Foreman, Frazier, Ali.. large list

Salvy_Mic
04-05-2007, 07:54 AM
If you're talking about a long, dominant title reign in the Fedor mold, especially when his first loss was early in his career, then look no further than two names from the 80s: Marvin Hagler and Salvador Sanchez. While Hagler definately put the fear of God into a lot of men, Sanchez thoroughly dismantled any of the great boxers they put in front of him and asides from a loss very early in his career, Sanchez ruled the featherweight division during the early 80s, beating greats like Wilfredo Gomez, Azumah Nelson, Danny Lopez (twice), Juan Laporte, and Ruben Castillo. All that, and he dies at 23 in a car crash, I firmly believe that Sanchez would have been a top 5 P4P fighter of all time if he hadn't died. Even a lot of Mexicans believe that he would have eventually fought, and beaten, Julio Cesar Chavez, who won his first title at jr. lightweight the year after Sanchez died.

Sanchez had everything you could possibly want in a boxer: hand speed, footwork, knockout power in either hand, technique, good defense, solid chin, intelligence, discipline, aggression, and heart. He fought well on the inside as well as he fought on the outside and he was exciting.

Punk Ass
04-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Salvy makes a good point about Sanches but I would dare to say Joe Luis. He had the bum of the month club because he was so dominant. No one could beat that man until he was old. They just threw fighters at him every month so he could meet a quota at the end of the year lol.

IMO Rocky Marciano couldn't beat him, Luis was well past his prime.

You could also make a argument for Roberto Duran. Many say he was the best LW ever. Fast and very very strong for his size in the LW division. He was so good that he was one of the best at MW and has a very strong chin.

Salvy_Mic
04-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah, definitely Duran and Louis, both men put the fear of God into their opponents. At their peak, they were practically untouchable.

I'd also say Sugar Ray Robinson at welterweight, he's still considered the greatest welter of all-time, and guys like Napoles, Leonard, Hearns, Benitez, De La Hoya, Whitaker, Trinidad, Mosley, and Mayweather have been welterweight champions since then.

Luis Cruz
04-07-2007, 04:02 PM
If we're comparing Fedor now, i'm sorry but no one in boxing history stacks up to what he's currently doing in MMA. This is mainly because he is undefeated and hasn't even come close to losing aside from that one punch that rocked him in a fight he domnated. I don't count that crap cut loss that should've been a no contest. What i'm looking at is opponents and he destroyed Mirko and Nog (x3). The boxers mentioned all lost early in their careers aside from Roy's crap loss that was a DQ. Ray got beat early, Marvin got beat twice early, Tyson didn't have exactly the greatest comp and neither did Roy, Sanchez lost early on in a close one (although if he was still alive he very well could have made a great argument but his career was too short), Rocky was, like someone mentioned, beating people past their primes, Duran early loss and Louis (Schmeling loss hurt him). Now i say this because Fedor is currently destroying everyone in his path and looks like he will continue too. I think he will lose and all this will change and then they can be compared. There are definitely some notables, i'm not saying no one is close to him, Ali would be a great one cause of his comp but he lost to Fraizer. Louis definitely but the Schmeling fight ruined that for now. Sanchez if he was around longer. Roy if he had better opponents. And when i say better opponents i'm comparing anyone he fought to Nog or Mirko and there isn't any on his list. I'm sure in 2 years or so this conversation will be totally different and i'll be saying Fedor is like Ali or Ray Robinson or something like that. Depends what he does in the near future and the rest of his career.

matto
04-12-2007, 04:09 PM
ali and tyson pre buster fight.

kokaine
04-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Mr. Bernard Hopkins

stood his ground against a prime ROY jones jr..... defends his title 19+ times .....

puts on a clinic making antonio tarver look like a retard.

KILLS DE LA HOYA
KILLS TITO TRINIDAD

..... loses 2 times unconvincingly to a forced "prospect", it was setup to give a young guy the passed torch to the sport..... but b-hop is a legend and still at 41 hes probably gonna end up fighting wright.....

dylan5252
04-17-2007, 06:29 PM
It hard to find a Fedor of the boxing world i would say sugar ray robinson because he fought at a bunch of different weightclasses, Marciano was like the lennox lewis of his time because he was a great fighter at a time when he was the only great fighter i see his fight against Joe Louis as Lennox's fight with a way past prime Mike tyson. today's "fedor of boxing" Would have to be PBF because he really has been dominant over everyone not because he is the best fighter but because he has the best boxing skills by far.

bradlee180
04-17-2007, 08:07 PM
You guys are off-base with your suggestions. Fedor is the best MMA fighter in the world, and that covers ALL weight classes. Sugar Ray Robinson, Hagler, Hopkins, Sanchez, were all tops in their respective weight classes, but any top 10 heavyweight boxer would've FLATTENED any of those guys!

The best fighter in the boxing world across the board was the Brown Bomber, the Great Joe Louis. Heavyweight champion for 12 years (1937/1949) and a record 25 title defenses, a record that still stands today! Personally I think a prime Jack Dempsey of 1918 or 1919 would've beat a prime Joe Louis, but Dempsey was an inactive champion. You gotta go by the accomplishments. Go to YouTube and search Joe Louis Unbelievable for a good compilation of his devastating Knockouts.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9598/df02joelouiscrusheswladpl7.png (http://imageshack.us)

By the way, comparing frail hands mayweather to Fedor is utterly laughable. Any guy from Middleweight and above would KILL little Floyd. We're talking who's the best in a real fight here, not this pound-for-pound nonsense; pound-for-pound is a figment-of-the-imagination. I think if I grabbed hold of that little b@$t@rd floyd in the street, I could shake him up like a cat. Fedor however, in the ring, the cage, or the street, I wouldn't bet against Fedor.

Afro
04-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Pound for pound is a figment of the imagination? you have to explain that.

dylan5252
04-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Sugar Ray Robinson (175-19 with 110 KOs in both middleweight and welterweight classes)
Marvin Hagler (62-3 with 52 KOs in the middleweight division)
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (37-0 with 24 KOs in 4 weight classes)
Now just because these guys weren't heavyweights doesn't mean they weren't the best boxers. I would regard PBF as the Fedor of boxing because he has the best technique of any boxer today. Fedor is not the best raw fighter in the world he is the best technical mixed martial artist, that is what makes him the best in the world. In just talking about the Heavyweight Class i would say that Joe Louis is probably the best fighter in the heavyweight division ever. In fact in terms of Heavyweights i would say that Fedor is the Joe Louis of MMA, but not the other way around.