PDA

View Full Version : Why wouldn't you want to be on Jen's Team?

Masscore
04-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I know the main answer is everyone thinks that BJ Penn is some MMA god. Yea, dont get me wrong this guy is exteremly talented and has passed Pulver by, but his camp is no where near MFS.

Lets think abou it, yea it is Penn and Pulver, they also have coaches from their respective camps. And in no way is Penn's camp any where close to being as good as MFS. Just think of the guys that Pulver can call up and have work out with these guys. Hughes, Franklin, Fisher, Miletech(sp?) and I would not be surprised at all to see at least one of them make an apperance during this show. Who can Penn call for help??? DeSouza.... Yea, I will take MFS any day of the week over BJ Penn's MMA.

So while Penn is the overall better fighter, I can see guys getting more out of training with Pulver.

Afro
04-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Maybe because all Pulver knows is striking?

Penn can teach them BJJ, Striking, Takedown D.. so who cares who Pulver can bring in.. the majority of the coaching comes from him and he cant teach them as much as Penn can

and have you ever seen Penns camp train or know anything about his camp?

blah
04-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I know the main answer is everyone thinks that BJ Penn is some MMA god. Yea, dont get me wrong this guy is exteremly talented and has passed Pulver by, but his camp is no where near MFS.

Lets think abou it, yea it is Penn and Pulver, they also have coaches from their respective camps. And in no way is Penn's camp any where close to being as good as MFS. Just think of the guys that Pulver can call up and have work out with these guys. Hughes, Franklin, Fisher, Miletech(sp?) and I would not be surprised at all to see at least one of them make an apperance during this show. Who can Penn call for help??? DeSouza.... Yea, I will take MFS any day of the week over BJ Penn's MMA.

So while Penn is the overall better fighter, I can see guys getting more out of training with Pulver.
agreed. penn may have more knowledge, but he can't necessarily pass it on. pulver also has more resources as you mentioned

cant hit bombz
04-06-2007, 07:25 PM
and remember last year when everyone wanted to be on Ken's team because he was a legend. we all know how much that worked:ahh:

and what is Penn going to teach them? how to come into a fight out of shape and gas out in 2 minutes?

Masscore
04-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Maybe because all Pulver knows is striking?

Penn can teach them BJJ, Striking, Takedown D.. so who cares who Pulver can bring in.. the majority of the coaching comes from him and he cant teach them as much as Penn can

and have you ever seen Penns camp train or know anything about his camp?

Thats only Penn though. Penn is just one guy and if you know anything about coaching it takes way more then one guy to really coach a team. He would not have the time to show each guy everything he knows and make sure they know how to do it. Thats why they have assiasnt coaches in all sports, ones that can specialize in certain places or wieght classes. And it just seems to mean that the amount of talent Pulver can bring in to help far execceds the amount Penn can.

BTW, I know about Penn's camp, but come on they are no were near as talented and as knownledgable as MFS.

Afro
04-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Thats only Penn though. Penn is just one guy and if you know anything about coaching it takes way more then one guy to really coach a team. He would not have the time to show each guy everything he knows and make sure they know how to do it. Thats why they have assiasnt coaches in all sports, ones that can specialize in certain places or wieght classes. And it just seems to mean that the amount of talent Pulver can bring in to help far execceds the amount Penn can.

BTW, I know about Penn's camp, but come on they are no were near as talented and as knownledgable as MFS.
But your makin it seem like Pulver brought in Matt Hughes and others as his assistants, yes Pulver can bring in MFS guys.. but Penn can bring in people outside of his camp! and the people he has with him are good coaches, same with Pulver and overall.. Penn is a better coach then Pulver is cuz he knows more and can teach more, and runs a camp where as Pulver is just part of a camp.

strife
04-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Penn is the better fighter, sure they have already fought once and Jens won a decision but in my opinion that doesn't mean much. Pulver has fought a lot of good fighters, so has Penn. Penn just has the better credentials and is more well-rounded than Pulver is. He has a wealth of BJJ knowledge and one of the best striking games in all of MMA IMO. Pulver just doesn't seem like a coach to me, guess we will see as the show progresses.

chungt79
04-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I love how some of you go against the grain here and argue against the fighters who obviously know more about MMA training than any of us here. These are the guys who does this for living and they chose BJ Penn. There action speak louder any argument you guys can come up with here.

Zenshotokai
04-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I love how some of you go against the grain here and argue against the fighters who obviously know more about MMA training than any of us here. These are the guys who does this for living and they chose BJ Penn. There action speak louder any argument you guys can come up with here.

Penn is NOT going to instill enough knowledge to make a difference with these guys in just a few weeks. There are not enough training hours for him to work with all his guys. Both coaches will do their best to build on each fighters strengths and attempt to help any area of weakness that they might have. If a fighter is weak in BJ, do you think that in a couple of weeks that they will make a great change? I don't think so.

TheBigKahuna
04-07-2007, 04:38 AM
I thought it was ironic that so much was made over the one guy being 22 pounds overweight. Penn is the softest lightweight I've ever seen. He's pushing 175 himself.....he's nowhere near 155 right now.

strife
04-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I thought it was ironic that so much was made over the one guy being 22 pounds overweight. Penn is the softest lightweight I've ever seen. He's pushing 175 himself.....he's nowhere near 155 right now.

Yes, but is he fighting on the Ultimate Fighter for the opportunity of a career in the UFC? No, he's a fucking coach and has a fight at 155 in June. Penn has never had problems making weight....don't be stupid.

Palma
04-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Yes, but is he fighting on the Ultimate Fighter for the opportunity of a career in the UFC? No, he's a fucking coach and has a fight at 155 in June. Penn has never had problems making weight....don't be stupid.

He has no choice but to talk that way. Retard is the only language he speaks.

Beowulf
04-07-2007, 10:38 PM
i dont think its that they didnt want to be on jens team, im sure if they werent on this show and jens asked them to come train with him they all would, but would you really pick training with jens over bj

Krellek
04-08-2007, 08:45 AM
i dont think its that they didnt want to be on jens team, im sure if they werent on this show and jens asked them to come train with him they all would, but would you really pick training with jens over bj
I would. Penn is an ass. i don't like him

dizzle1973
04-08-2007, 12:10 PM
ok i haven't read all of the replies yet but i have to comment on the overall title of this first. Bj penn is a freak of nature. his flexability is second to none and that gives an advantage on his back no one else has. The only reason he hasn't won every fight he's been in is he seems to train lazy. obviously i don't know this for a fact but when you can talk more about surfing then how hard you've trained that's a tell for me. i think the drop to 155 is paramount to his succsess and his legacy. the drop forces him to train hard because he has to lose pounds to make 155 and works his cardio way more . if bj didn't gas out he could take almost anyone near his wieght class. i respect jens alot but i really think his only chance is to get bj so mad that he comes out like a bat out of hell and gases out if jens can weather the storm then it's time to let the hands go. if bj just listens to one coach even one smart fan he's got this hands down. then again i thought serra didn't even stand a punchers chance.
dizzle out

dizzle1973
04-08-2007, 12:19 PM
i just realized that all i talked about was the fight at the end. look while i think that bj is the better fighter, i think that as an up and coming fighter jens would have more to offer as a coach. first off he's studied hard in his ufc absence he's had great coaches and at the very least can just repeat what they taught him. Bj is more a freak of nature that fights his own way. that's imposible to teach. don't get me wrong i'm sure he's got alot of knowledge to pass on but his succes is largely due to the gifts he was born with. if i had the choice i don't know what team i'd pick. it would be worth while just to get into the head of bj pen but i think you would learn more technique from jens. once again just me.(side note i can't beleave that bj didn't bring up..how are you going to beat me when you got ko'd by a guy i didn't even pick first overall.....would have been good trash talk i think.)

dizzle1973
04-08-2007, 12:49 PM
one thing everyone seems to be forgeting is that bj is selfish(don't get me wrong i love him.....let's go on vacation and surf and then i'll stop off and try to pound someone...unreal).....he's the last mma fighter on the planet that would open his own school to pass on his knowledge.

Bigstu31s
04-09-2007, 03:37 PM
and remember last year when everyone wanted to be on Ken's team because he was a legend. we all know how much that worked:ahh:

and what is Penn going to teach them? how to come into a fight out of shape and gas out in 2 minutes?

Harsh but true

Afro
04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
one thing everyone seems to be forgeting is that bj is selfish(don't get me wrong i love him.....let's go on vacation and surf and then i'll stop off and try to pound someone...unreal).....he's the last mma fighter on the planet that would open his own school to pass on his knowledge.
Dizzle, Penn has had a school and has been passing on his knowledge for years now.

808botz
04-09-2007, 08:18 PM
1st of all it depends on the fighters style. But also Jens trains with MFS. BJ runs his own fight team. When he’s not fighting he’s teaching people. Sure Jens trains with Matt and Rich. But there not there. Plus Bj MMA team is no push over also. Tony D is very good and BJJ and Charuto is a world class fighter. Plus MFS is OVER RATED any way. Just because you’re a good fighter doesn’t mean you can be a good teacher. (Just remember Rich telling Serra to start the fight on one Knee). HAHA

808botz
04-09-2007, 08:22 PM

Looks dont mean shit. BJ Soft for 155. haha..Take a look at Fedor. Dont think he's going to be in any Muscle Mags anytime soon!

AudieMurphy1
04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Looks dont mean shit. BJ Soft for 155. haha..Take a look at Fedor. Dont think he's going to be in any Muscle Mags anytime soon!

there not refering to his look, there refering to the multiple times he's gased in the ring

808botz
04-09-2007, 10:45 PM
there not refering to his look, there refering to the multiple times he's gased in the ring

As for Gasing in his fights. Why do people keep saying that. He gased in the Gsp fight. Thats one time. He got hurt when he fought matt the 2nd time. Other than that there no other time he gased..

strife
04-10-2007, 01:46 AM
As for Gasing in his fights. Why do people keep saying that. He gased in the Gsp fight. Thats one time. He got hurt when he fought matt the 2nd time. Other than that there no other time he gased..

I'm a huge Penn fan (favorite fighter). He does have cardio trouble if his fights go past the 2nd round. Although people blow it way too far outta proportion when talking about it. Penn gassed in the Pulver fight really badly, if he hadn't he would of had that fight. Same thing against Uno in their draw. Haven't seen the Machida fight. He didn't gas as bad against GSP, but he still gassed. People bringing up the Hughes 2 fight are just reaching for shit the rag on him for, and it gets old.

808botz
04-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Yea dont get me wrong he's not a cardio freak. But common everyone gets a bit tired. And yea true his cardio trouble is blown up too much. Well the Machida fight was allright. But he moved up to heavy Wt. ITs on youtube if you wanna check it out.

Afro
04-10-2007, 05:13 AM
3 fights out of 14, aint that bad

subman
04-10-2007, 09:32 AM
You do relize that the show was filmed what Two months ago at least, I think they wraped at the beggining of march, so maybe longer than two months ago..

Penn is a little heavy now, as of last week at Ultimate Fight Night as well. Still plenty of time to get to 155, but I bet it is the last time we see him fight at that weight.

DEADMAN
04-10-2007, 05:35 PM
If I remember correctly the guys on the show were bitching about not wanting to be on Pulver's team because "he seems like he would do too much cardio"

If thats the case personally those guys seem like they are giving up on themselves already. They probably will end up gasing out in the second round.

And I wouldn't think "technique" would be a big issue considering each coach carries a retinue of people who are versed in those various areas.

AudieMurphy1
04-10-2007, 06:32 PM
If I remember correctly the guys on the show were bitching about not wanting to be on Pulver's team because "he seems like he would do too much cardio"

If thats the case personally those guys seem like they are giving up on themselves already. They probably will end up gasing out in the second round.

And I wouldn't think "technique" would be a big issue considering each coach carries a retinue of people who are versed in those various areas.

i agree

808botz
04-11-2007, 02:49 AM
It was a joke. Im sure. This is a once is a life time for these fighters. If they are serious its a shame. But besides that Looking at pulver Eye every day would piss me off.

2mcgrath
04-15-2007, 10:48 PM
i saw on the preview for next week he is bringing in jeremy horn to help out with the coaching

da@LARGE
04-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Have any of you guys read Jens' book "Little Evil"? I thikn any guy who goes through the kind of childhood that he did must have a lot to pass on about the emotional side of fighting.

Since I read his book, I can't cheer against him. I don't care how exciting a fighter Penn is.