PDA

View Full Version : Eggs

Metalhead
04-10-2007, 12:04 AM
I've heard that people put eggs into their protein shakes and whatnot, but I was thinking, aren't you supposed to cook eggs? We've all seen Rocky Balboa drinking 5 or so eggs first thing before a work out, but we're supposed to cook them to prevent salmonella poisoning. So do you cook your egg before put in a powershake, or are they actually safe raw?

supaflya3
04-12-2007, 02:57 AM
They are fine raw. I always drunk them raw before a boxing match.

Clint
04-12-2007, 03:07 AM
Not only do you risk salmonella, most of the protein is indigestable until the egg is cooked.

Metalhead
04-12-2007, 09:53 PM
So you cook the egg before it goes into a shake?

Clint
04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
So you cook the egg before it goes into a shake?
Yes. Personally I would just drink the shake and eat the egg seperatley

Metalhead
04-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks Clint.

Warchief
04-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks Clint.
I remember you already make this kind of thread here. :confusedsmilie:

Metalhead
04-14-2007, 01:15 AM
On not cooking eggs?

Metalhead
04-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Now that I look back a couple pages I did post in a Raw Egg thread. My quesiton was a little difference in how do you add eggs into a shake if you have to cook them?

Warchief
04-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Now that I look back a couple pages I did post in a Raw Egg thread. My quesiton was a little difference in how do you add eggs into a shake if you have to cook them?
If you want to add egg in you're shake without the risk of salmonela, just buy any brands of pure white egg shake protein and salmonela free...i cant remember the name of those product but you can ask the place where you can buy that kind of stuff...like GNC (general nutrition center).

Clint
04-14-2007, 08:19 PM
If you want to add egg in you're shake without the risk of salmonela, just buy any brands of pure white egg shake protein and salmonela free...i cant remember the name of those product but you can ask the place where you can buy that kind of stuff...like GNC (general nutrition center).
Do you mean like the 100% egg white in the cartons. Those are actually safe since they have been pasturized. But still much of the protein is indigestable.

Warchief
04-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Do you mean like the 100% egg white in the cartons. Those are actually safe since they have been pasturized. But still much of the protein is indigestable.
Ya...their plastic bottle is like whey but inside of it is pure egg white, not only for mixing on whey protein but it can be used for cooking purposes, if you going to cook a tuna covered by egg white you can used that and they are 100% safe from salmonela and some of them are digestible...i already forget the name of the product.

Clint
04-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Ya...their plastic bottle is like whey but inside of it is pure egg white, not only for mixing on whey protein but it can be used for cooking purposes, if you going to cook a tuna covered by egg white you can used that and they are 100% safe from salmonela and some of them are digestible...i already forget the name of the product.
Ahhh the powdered eggs whites. I've seen them before. I think that they are digestable as is since they are freeze dried (I think that is enough to denature the protein)

Warchief
04-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Ahhh the powdered eggs whites. I've seen them before. I think that they are digestable as is since they are freeze dried (I think that is enough to denature the protein)
Yea...and some of those are liquid and should always keep chilled (refrigerator)...if you going to cook a fish tuna or skinless chicken you can used them for marrined.

Warchief
04-14-2007, 09:26 PM
AAHHH, This is what im talking about...

Pure Egg White.com

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/warchief2007/276_large_image.jpg

MichaelK
05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
If you want to be sure that you are completely safe, just take the egg(s) and stick them in boiling water for 20-30 seconds. The heat will retard the bacteria thus making it safe to eat the raw egg.

Ramma
05-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Doesn't Hulk Hogan eat 2 dozen Eggs a day? Those farts must be epic

SimpleJack
05-07-2007, 04:27 PM
His beef must be strong.

I just use Whey. I've heard all of the negatives, but it does really well for me. Soy protein tastes terrible and I'd rather just eat some boiled eggs if I need the egg protein.

Clint
05-07-2007, 05:55 PM
His beef must be strong.

I just use Whey. I've heard all of the negatives, but it does really well for me. Soy protein tastes terrible and I'd rather just eat some boiled eggs if I need the egg protein.
The negatives? There should be practically no negatives to whey protein.

strife
05-07-2007, 08:42 PM
His beef must be strong.

What negatives have you heard Don?

Is there really any truth to Hogan eating 2 dozen eggs? That's epic if true.

Rufio
05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Does anyone still use soy protein other than old women?

Clint
05-08-2007, 12:02 AM
What negatives have you heard Don?

Is there really any truth to Hogan eating 2 dozen eggs? That's epic if true.
He's a mighty big dude. When he was actually wrestling it wouldn't surprise me.

Does anyone still use soy protein other than old women?
They are the only people that should use it unless you wanna grow some tits. Soy is packed with phytoestrogens which you body so wonderfully converts directly into estrogen

killerinstinct
05-08-2007, 02:39 AM
I've drank raw eggs before ,I think you're probably safe to drink them ,I mean people drink raw eggs all the time and are fine ,I've never heard of anyone getting salmonella poisoning from it,I'm sure it's possible ,but I don't thinks it's as likely as people make it out to be ,besides egg have more protein raw ,every food loses proteins when it's cooked.

Clint
05-08-2007, 03:44 AM
I've drank raw eggs before ,I think you're probably safe to drink them ,I mean people drink raw eggs all the time and are fine ,I've never heard of anyone getting salmonella poisoning from it,I'm sure it's possible ,but I don't thinks it's as likely as people make it out to be ,besides egg have more protein raw ,every food loses proteins when it's cooked.
Not true at all. most foods don't lose protein, it is just broken into amino acids (which your digestive system does anyways) and the whites in eggs are undigestible raw because your body cannot break some of the bonds in them.

SimpleJack
05-08-2007, 04:44 AM
The negatives? There should be practically no negatives to whey protein.
This is part of what I've learned in my research...
"When you eat a serving of whey protein, its digestion in your gut results in a very rapid, but short-lived, surge of amino acids into your bloodstream (Boirie et al., 1997). Casein, by comparison, yields a slower, more sustained release of amino acids (Boirie et al., 1997). Importantly, casein’s slower absorption profile seems to better promote a positive protein balance (Boirie et al., 1997) -an essential requirement for building bigger muscles.

Recall from above that one way of estimating your protein balance is by measuring your body’s balance of a particular amino acid, such as leucine. A positive leucine balance indicates a state (i.e., increased availability of leucine inside your muscle cells) that supports protein anabolism. Conversely, a negative leucine balance indicates conditions favoring protein catabolism.

Ironically, whey protein marketers have been known to cite the Boirie study (Boirie et al., 1997) as evidence with which to support whey’s ‘superiority’ as a muscle-building protein. Contrary to what their ads and articles (‘advertorials’) imply, however, Boirie et al. found that casein -not whey- produced the most positive leucine balance when fed to healthy young humans. In fact, whey actually produced a negative leucine balance."

I can go on with more stuff, but this about sums it up.

Rufio
05-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Actually Clint, from what I've read it takes an INSANE amount of soy protein to have any significant effect on estrogen levels. In general from my reading it's safe to eat some soy protein. The only problem is that it's not very high on the protein absorption scale. Whey, cassein, eggs, and meats are really the only worthwile proteins.

SimpleJack
05-08-2007, 05:13 AM
I agree. But, I prefer my protein from solid sources, usually poultry. I try to avoid pork because of its effect on my digestive track and red meat tends to slow me down a little.

Clint
05-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Actually Clint, from what I've read it takes an INSANE amount of soy protein to have any significant effect on estrogen levels. In general from my reading it's safe to eat some soy protein. The only problem is that it's not very high on the protein absorption scale. Whey, cassein, eggs, and meats are really the only worthwile proteins.
Yeah eating soy is generally okay but supplementing with it would be ingesting quite a bit of soy cumulatively

Metalhead
05-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I was reading awhile back on menshealth.com that soy protein does not grow you tits or affect anything like that unless you eat a tonne of it. They actually said soy is underrated by most men.

Clint
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
This is part of what I've learned in my research...
"When you eat a serving of whey protein, its digestion in your gut results in a very rapid, but short-lived, surge of amino acids into your bloodstream (Boirie et al., 1997). Casein, by comparison, yields a slower, more sustained release of amino acids (Boirie et al., 1997). Importantly, casein’s slower absorption profile seems to better promote a positive protein balance (Boirie et al., 1997) -an essential requirement for building bigger muscles.

Recall from above that one way of estimating your protein balance is by measuring your body’s balance of a particular amino acid, such as leucine. A positive leucine balance indicates a state (i.e., increased availability of leucine inside your muscle cells) that supports protein anabolism. Conversely, a negative leucine balance indicates conditions favoring protein catabolism.

Ironically, whey protein marketers have been known to cite the Boirie study (Boirie et al., 1997) as evidence with which to support whey’s ‘superiority’ as a muscle-building protein. Contrary to what their ads and articles (‘advertorials’) imply, however, Boirie et al. found that casein -not whey- produced the most positive leucine balance when fed to healthy young humans. In fact, whey actually produced a negative leucine balance."

I can go on with more stuff, but this about sums it up.

There are simple enough ways to slow the absorption (and there are times where rapid uptake is good anyways)

SimpleJack
05-08-2007, 07:37 PM
There are simple enough ways to slow the absorption (and there are times where rapid uptake is good anyways)
True enough, but why would you want to slow absorption when you can use a slower releasing source? Whey is good pre-workout for me.

Clint
05-08-2007, 08:46 PM
True enough, but why would you want to slow absorption when you can use a slower releasing source? Whey is good pre-workout for me.
Just because casein is more expensive (and the stuff I have doesn't mix worth a damn :angrrry: )

Rufio
05-09-2007, 06:15 PM
I just drink a whey shake with milk and eat cottage cheese to get the best of both worlds. Immediately post-workout you NEED fast absorbing protein anyway. Occasionally I also drink ready-made shakes or bars containing cassein.

Metalhead - That's exactly what I was talking about. Clint has a point though in regards to buying soy powder. I wouldn't seek out soy protein since it really sucks compared to other protein sources, but I don't freak out when something I'm eating has a bit of soy protein in it.