PDA

View Full Version : Merchant on his way out at HBO

smoogy
04-14-2007, 02:40 AM
Greg Leon first broke this story a month ago at Boxingtalk, but since no other big news sites reported it, I wrote it off as just another rumor. Yesterday, Michael Marley all but confirmed its truth with the headline “HBO Boxing Voice Larry Merchant Out After 29 Years, Mad Max Promoted!!”

Marley is an old-time Boxing writer who goes way back with Larry Merchant. Marley wrote for the New York Post at about the same time Michael Katz was scribing for the Daily News. Long before the Internet, those guys, along with Jon Saraceno of USA Today, were the writers I read the most. I’d buy those New York rags religiously in the eighties just to read their columns. I’d read the articles extra slow in order to make them last as long as possible. Boxing news was much more scarce in those days. But I digress…

Not that Greg Leon isn’t a solid source, but hearing this news from Marley struck me a little more deeply. And if you hadn’t guessed, I am a fan of Larry Merchant and will be disappointed to see him go.

And it looks like the HBO has decided that the Merchant of Venom is at the finsh line. What started as faint drumbeats the past few months has gone from a discernable whisper to a ear-spliting scream. Word around boxing is that HBO is negotiating out a buyout of Merchnt’s contract and that he will be replaced by young Mad Max Kellerman who will be promoted from the HBO “Boxing After Dark” series to full-time service on HBO Championship Boxing and on the network’s PPV shows.

A source familiar with the negotiations told me that Merchant has accepted his professional fate like the consummate professional he is and that he is working out an amicable “divorce” from the broadcast giant.

“You will see Larry alongside Jim Lampley for the May 5 Las Vegas Super Fight between Mayweather and De La Hoya and the May 19 Jermain Taylor-Cory Spinks middleweight title bout in Memphis. Merchant may also work the Bernard Hopkins-Winkly Wright fight July 21 in Vegas. But HBO wants to return to the airwaves in September with Mad Max Kellerman sitting alongside Lampley in Merchant’s 29-year role,” the source said. (More…)

If HBO Boxing wants to capture a younger demographic the move makes sense. Larry Merchant just does not appeal to the youth of today. Hopefully he will return to writing once his days as a commentator are over.

http://www.fightreport.net/?p=1016

This is good news, Kellerman might seem like a bit of a dick but he is really knowledgeable and cares about the fighters, unlike Lampley who really is a dick and cares about himself only. Also, this would save some face for HBO if the UFC deal actually goes through.

Matt Boone
04-14-2007, 02:42 AM
Lampley? Did you read the article lol...it's Merchant who's going.

Noob
04-14-2007, 02:44 AM
Lampley? Did you read the article lol...it's Merchant who's going.

Lol, I was confused too. Took me a minute to realize that he had it backwards.

bradlee180
04-14-2007, 02:46 AM
The name on your thread is wrong "Lampley on his way out at HBO" because your quote is all about abrasive senile Larry Merchant being shown the door, NOT ignorant colleague and woman-beater Jim Lampley.

HBO should get rid of both those ignorant dicks.

Noob
04-14-2007, 02:48 AM
The name on your thread is wrong "Lampley on his way out at HBO" because your quote is all about abrasive senile Larry Merchant being shown the door, NOT ignorant colleague and woman-beater Jim Lampley.

HBO should get rid of both those ignorant dicks.

I love your av. I look forward to your posts just to see her.

And yes, I think they're both outdated and imo there are better announcers out there, especially for a younger audience.

Matt Boone
04-14-2007, 03:07 AM
I hate how Lamply always talks for the fighters. "He hits him...almost as if to say, I'M STILL HERE....I WANT THIS AS BAD AS YOU..." etc. Stop that shit.

Merchant just needs to stop talking like he's writing a fantasy novel intro or something. Max Kellerman, I liked the guy on ESPN but he seems to be a wannabe young version of Merchant, whether done purposely or via suggestion - but still, no one can handle a post-fight interview like Larry Merchant.

I feel like Peter Griffin telling people what really grinds my gears.

Nate_Deezy
04-14-2007, 03:15 AM
I hate how Lamply always talks for the fighters. "He hits him...almost as if to say, I'M STILL HERE....I WANT THIS AS BAD AS YOU..." etc. Stop that shit.

Merchant just needs to stop talking like he's writing a fantasy novel intro or something. Max Kellerman, I liked the guy on ESPN but he seems to be a wannabe young version of Merchant, whether done purposely or via suggestion - but still, no one can handle a post-fight interview like Larry Merchant.

I feel like Peter Griffin telling people what really grinds my gears.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/Nate_Deezy/grinds_my_gears.jpg

You know what really grinds my gears? That Lindsey Lohan...dancing around with your little outfits...

Punk Ass
04-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Why isn't this in the Boxing forum?? It could use some good threads there :confusedsmilie:

Matt Boone
04-14-2007, 03:18 AM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/Nate_Deezy/grinds_my_gears.jpg

You know what really grinds my gears? That Lindsey Lohan...dancing around with your little outfits...

LOLOLOL

Punk Ass
04-14-2007, 03:19 AM
ANywayz, this is great. I've been following Max Kellerman before he was ever famous. He started on public access here in Manhattan and I loved the guy. He keeps it real, says what's on his mind, and knows everything about boxing.

kokaine
04-14-2007, 03:35 AM
max kellerman is a cool commentator... i mean he can tell what the outcomes gonna be before it happens better than most boxing commentators.... his interviews he speaks loud as fuck ... bu during the fight .... he is barable......

better than having an alcoholic during a fight- larry merchant slur through the entire fight lol

JimmyMoore
04-14-2007, 04:49 AM
So happy to hear this...
I fucking HATE Larry Merchant and his babbling old man stories of what some dumbfuck said in 1932 and how that relates to Andrew Golota hitting Bowe in the nuts 14 times in a fight. Also, when he constantly contradicts Manny I wanna curb stomp his senile ass.
Max Kellerman is a perfect replacement. Young and really knows his shit. I met him a couple years back and shot the shit with me for a couple mins. He's exactly like he is on TV in person. Constantly spitting out statistics, and comparisons to fights from 50 years ago, youve never even heard of. Well done HBO.

smoogy
04-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Wow how did I misread that? I think I had a rib injury coming into this thread or something. Thanks for moving this, that was embarrassing.

Salvy_Mic
04-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Well, out with the old, in with the new. Merchant probably had another year or so anyway before he'd retire anyway, so no big deal. Still, an HBO telecast isn't gonna be the same without Merchant pissing off the boxer he's interviewing or the other commentator. Besides, he's been sounding drunker than ever, it's like his static Blood Alcohol level went up another.04%. But yeah, I'll miss the arguements he always had with Manny Steward and George Foreman.

ThaSandman
04-14-2007, 09:07 AM
This is some of the best news I've heard in a long time. I usually mute the TV when the fights go on just so I don't have to listen to this guy ramble. I don't think he knows where he is or what day it is half the time and he has cattepillers for eyebrows. They really need to get rid of Lampley too he has the worst story telling during the fights adn it really gets on my nerves. Also, it doesn't help that all Merchant did was rip on MMA and talk negative of the sport any chance he could.

UFCfanatic
04-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Everyone seems to agree that this is a good move for HBO. I feel the same way as most of you about Merchant. He always tries to make such a dramatic statement......and it always makes NO SENSE AT ALL! Maybe if HBO would've made this move 5 years ago, I would still watch all the boxing matches they show.