PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Weight Sets

BIG FLO
04-15-2007, 05:04 AM
Hey everyone,

I am looking to get a bench press, along with a few other things. I am looking for a bench, preferably one that can adjust to the incline position, and that comes with a 45 pound bar (the norm). Does anyone know a good website, or store where you can get this, along with a set of weights (45s, 35s, 25s, etc.) for a reasonable price? Also, I'd like to find a set of dumbbells, preferably that bow-flex set that goes from 5 to 52.5 pounds. Anyone know any good resources to get some cheap, but sturdy weights? Just wondering; any help would be appreciated.

Dork8503
04-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Better off going to some sporting goods store or somthing like that because shipping something like that with a few hundred pounds in weights is going to cost a little bit. I live in Michigan so we have stores like Dicks and Dunums which both carry good deals. Also try wal-mart they sell just about everything.

BIG FLO
04-15-2007, 05:18 AM
Yeah, I think you're right. That's probably the best idea. Thanks for the tips.

Dork8503
04-15-2007, 05:26 AM
Depending on where you are from you will have different sporting good chains and things like that. But like i said if you order online your best bet would to just get everything but the weights but when i bought mine, mine came with 2 of everything so i do not know how it would work.

here is walmarts thing for there weights
http://www.walmart.com/search/browse-ng.do?ic=12_0&ref=125872.126367&catNavId=4134

Dicks Sporting goods
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2622932&cp=2367453&clickid=topnav_exercisedrop_13

BIG FLO
04-15-2007, 05:33 AM
Alright, cool. Thanks a lot for those links. I have Dicks and Walmart around where I am from (Massachusetts), so I think I am going to visit those stores in order to avoid the large shipping costs. I appreciate your help.

Noob
04-15-2007, 05:33 AM
If you're ordering enough stuff though, you may be able to get a deal on shipping. In the past, when I've bought large items online, I've always looked for free shipping when the total dollar amount of the purchase is over a certain amount.

Good luck.

BIG FLO
04-15-2007, 05:39 AM
I see what you are saying. I will look into that also. I am moving to an apartment in Boston, so right now I am attempting to get some key weights so that I can make a routine where I can workout at home, rather than needing to pay gym fees and trying to make it to the gym every night, which will be tough when I am first starting out on my first real job after college graduation. So I figure a bench press, some dumbbells, chin-up bar, along with doing dips, push-ups, etc. should be sufficient. That along with some good cardio (running) should get my ass in shape.

Clint
04-15-2007, 05:41 AM
The bowflex dumbells are nice but fucking pricey for the amount fo weight you get. Instead I would just buy some Dumbell Handles (or make some out of pipe and hoseclamps/collars) then you can just put the weight on that you need.

BIG FLO
04-15-2007, 05:44 AM
The bowflex dumbells are nice but fucking pricey for the amount fo weight you get. Instead I would just buy some Dumbell Handles (or make some out of pipe and hoseclamps/collars) then you can just put the weight on that you need.

Yeah, I checked the link Dork sent to me and when I saw the price tag (almost 400 bucks) right away I knew I wasn't getting that. It would be way cheaper to just buy some individual dumbbells at different weights or make my own like you said.

Clint
04-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Check out the FAQ thread there are a ton of links for homemade equipment.

400 is way too high. My parents got a set for around 200 or 250 but never used them, so then I took them. Damn I love when they buy exercise equipment, it all eventually becomes mine.

Dork8503
04-15-2007, 07:16 AM
wish i would have known you 3 months ago, i just sold a brand new boxflew for 250, i know thats a crack head price but i was moving and had no room for it at all so it jhad to go. If you look at Dicks weblink i put some of that shit has free shipping. But i will tell you before you go pay for weight, not the bench just weights in general, they got for about 50 cents a pound, dont pay that much more then that. Some places charge almost a dollar a pound because they dont think people really care.

Dork8503
04-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Also until you save up more money or until your sure about what you want, go to your local gym or college and get a membership, sometimes they can be costly but there worth it because you can do it all you want. Like i pay 70 every 4 months but they have everything you can think of. Its at my college, they have racket ball and tennis courts and a seperate place with punching bags and all that good stuff to train for mma or karate. So that might be something worth checking out.

BIG FLO
04-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Hey Dork,

I have been lifting for a long time at a local gym, so I know all of the types of equipment and all that stuff. The thing is, I am moving to a new place and starting a job and all that, and it would be more convenient for me to have my own set of weights so that I am able to work out at home rather than having to pay for the gym membership and being in a crowded gym (I hate waiting to use equipment). I'll be able to create a good routine and incorporate all the major muscle groups with the use of a bench, some dumbbells, and also a chin-up bar and maybe a few other things. With that equipment along with going running consistently, I'll stay in shape. I'll probably head to Dick's in the near future and check out the equipment there. This is the first time I will actually be buying my own equipment, so I'm glad you told me about the 50 cent per pound thing. I'll remember that.

Dork8503
04-15-2007, 08:01 AM
i just bought 2 95lbs curls and one place wanted 90 dollars for each and i was like screw that, but ended up paying 54 for each

Clint
04-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Hey Dork,

I have been lifting for a long time at a local gym, so I know all of the types of equipment and all that stuff. The thing is, I am moving to a new place and starting a job and all that, and it would be more convenient for me to have my own set of weights so that I am able to work out at home rather than having to pay for the gym membership and being in a crowded gym (I hate waiting to use equipment). I'll be able to create a good routine and incorporate all the major muscle groups with the use of a bench, some dumbbells, and also a chin-up bar and maybe a few other things. With that equipment along with going running consistently, I'll stay in shape. I'll probably head to Dick's in the near future and check out the equipment there. This is the first time I will actually be buying my own equipment, so I'm glad you told me about the 50 cent per pound thing. I'll remember that.

I'm not sure what your goals are but you might want to consider a power rack so that you can safely do squats and whatnot by yourself. It also makes benching by yourself easier.

Another option entirely would be to get Never Gymless and use the methods in it to keep in shape. This is effectively what I am doing since I will also be moving into an apartment in the city, although I am adding some stuff because I can. So I have decided that all of my equipment must fit in out coat closet. Here is what I am taking (or buying):
For Never Gymless:
* Power bands - http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/ is the cheapest but these can still get a bit pricey but not bad compared to weights and benches and whatnot

* A Chin up bar - I'll be getting one that doesn't fuck up your door since I'm renting

* An 8lb Medicine Ball - For some of the circuits

* A Jump rope

Not needed for the plan but I'm taking anyways:
* My bowflex dumbells - I have them why not

* A Semi-Homemade Sandbag - Cheap, Effective, and fun

* A homemade dragging sled - I made mine out of a snow saucer and a stap with an 's' hook

* Grippers - I like grip work

The book explains how to progess in strength using the equipment I listed and increasingly difficult bodyweight exercises like 1 handed pushups, 1 legged squats, 1 handed chin ups (god I hope to be able to do these one day), etc