PDA

View Full Version : Jens Pulver to coach tuf 5?

killerinstinct
07-11-2006, 04:40 PM
here's an article from www.mmaweekly.com

Multiple sources have confirmed that former UFC lightweight champion Jens Pulver has been signed to coach the Ultimate Fighter Season 5 on Spike TV.

Pulver just recently signed a contract to bring him back to the Octagon where he was the one and only 155-pound champion that the company has ever known. While it still hasnít been announced as to when Pulver will actually fight, the placement for him to be a coach is a sign that the UFC is committed to showcasing the lightweights from here on out.

It would also lend credence to the speculation that Season 5 is set to feature lightweight fighters for the first time in the history of the series. Stocking the show with the lightest class in the UFC has long been rumored, but bringing Pulver in as a coach would seem to make those rumors much more concrete.

The history of the show could lend some insight as to whom the other coach may be as a showdown with Pulver being the end result. The list of fighters who could possibly step in as the other coach could include B.J. Penn, who has also signed with the UFC and has a history with Jens Pulver.

Another possibility could be the winner of the proposed match-up featuring Sean Sherk and an as yet unnamed opponent that is rumored for the August 26th show. This could explain why the UFC was so fast in attempting to put together a fight between the former top-ranked welterweight and Ultimate Fighter Season 1 veteran Kenny Florian.

No official announcement has been made for a time or date for the debut of Season 5, but Jens Pulver will anchor down one coaching spot with the other still left to fill.

Alvin
07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah I read he was back & coaching in TUF5, but come on we've only just finished watching TUF3!!

Any ideas when they're recording TUF5 or what the format of this will be?

killerinstinct
07-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah I read he was back & coaching in TUF5, but come on we've only just finished watching TUF3!!

Any ideas when they're recording TUF5 or what the format of this will be?
I think they'll go back to the original format with LW's and some other weight class.They'll have the 2 coaches fight at the end of the season.

Purely speculation.

huyner
07-11-2006, 06:01 PM
i have never really enjoiy watching the lightweight matches.i just dont see how people say that the lightweights are the best to watch

killerinstinct
07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
i have never really enjoiy watching the lightweight matches.i just dont see how people say that the lightweights are the best to watch
There always the most exciting fights.What are you talking about?

#1taz
07-12-2006, 04:48 AM
If you want speed and agility then the lightweights are awesome...if you want methodical brutal pounding then the the heavyweights are for you.

I guess it's just a matter of what type of fight you want to see.

But don't sell the smaller guys short....they have had some real good entertaining matches.

I have also personally seen a couple of them get into it with much larger guys out of the ring...and they are definitely genuine tough guys.

And the look on the bigger guy's face when it happened was pretty priceless...lol

Alvin
07-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Watch the first Uno Vs Penn fight or the Pulver Vs Lewis fight in the UFC. The LW's have speed, submissions, KO's....i could go on.

Also watching the recent Stevenson Vs Edwards fight they can frickin' bleed a lot as well!!!!!!!!

killerinstinct
07-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Watch the first Uno Vs Penn fight or the Pulver Vs Lewis fight in the UFC. The LW's have speed, submissions, KO's....i could go on.

Also watching the recent Stevenson Vs Edwards fight they can frickin' bleed a lot as well!!!!!!!!
the Matt Wyman/Spencer Fisher is another good recent one.

killerinstinct
07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I've never heard anyone say that Jens,Penn,Gomi,Yves,Fisher,Joaquim Hansen,Vitor Ribeiro,Marcus Aurelio,Hayato Sakurai,Josh Thomson,Kenflo,soon to be Sherk,Hermes Franca,and a lot of others aren't exciting to watch.

NinjaShogunRua
07-12-2006, 03:44 PM
I've never heard anyone say that Jens,Penn,Gomi,Yves,Fisher,Joaquim Hansen,Vitor Ribeiro,Marcus Aurelio,Hayato Sakurai,Josh Thompson,soon to be Sherk,Hermes Franca,and a lot of others aren't exciting to watch.

listen to this guy, he knows! except it's Thomson with no P. LW rule!

killerinstinct
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
listen to this guy, he knows! except it's Thomson with no P. LW rule!
yeah my mistake it's Thomson.The list goes on.The LW's are usually the fastest,usualyy have the best conditioning and are usually the most exciting fights on the card.You don't see a whole lot of LW fights where the 2 fighters are just circling around each other(like you see the HW's do all the time).LW's get after it.

NinjaShogunRua
07-12-2006, 04:37 PM
exactly man. LW always bring it. Fast paced action with submissions and knock outs. Hardly ever see a boring LW fight. With the HW it is either a quick exciting fight, or a long boring fight most of the time. I'm so glad that UFC brought the LW division back. Hopefully they can sign some of the top LW around the world that aren't already signed to Pride or K-1 Hero's.

Alvin
07-13-2006, 01:57 AM
What's the weight limits for a LW fighter?

I thought 155 was the low end of WW & LW's were 145 to 154.5. If so Uriah Faber & Rob McCullough could be an option, but this weight is already getting pretty stacked with Franca & Pulver returning & Sherk dropping.

ArMnHC
07-15-2006, 05:06 AM
i heard that supposedly BJ was gunna be the other coach for TUF 5, and he and Pulver would fight at the end of the season...how sweet that'd be huh?:grinsmile1:

Metis Machete
07-19-2006, 11:09 PM
They'll have the 2 coaches fight at the end of the season.

Purely speculation.

I remember reading somewhere that BJ Penn will be the other coach.

gsp06
07-25-2006, 10:19 PM
isn't there rumors out there though that Bj is saying he wants nothing to do with the LW division. Ive heard this a couple of times, but I'm not gonna come out and say this is true. can anybody give any info on this?

AJL416AZ
07-26-2006, 12:19 AM
i've mainly been hearing that the winner of Sherk-anyone would be the other coach

and i wholeheartedly agree, the LW division has some of the most phenomenal fighters, in the best condition. no LW Ricco's.