PDA

View Full Version : Boxing gloves

Highlander
04-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Alright, I wasn't sure if I should put this in the traing section, but I don't train boxing. I have Everlast gloves, but they keep tearing. I have exchanged a pair before. I had a pair, which ripped near the bottom of the gloves. Then I exchanged them for another pair. I boxed with two of my friends Frriday night (I won both fights) and this pair ripped as well (near the top of the glove). I was wondering if I could do anything for them to not tear (some kind of tape to cover it) or if there are gloves out there that are better. I just don't understand how everlast is so famous, but produces such bad quality. Thanks.

Clint
04-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Alright, I wasn't sure if I should put this in the traing section, but I don't train boxing. I have Everlast gloves, but they keep tearing. I have exchanged a pair before. I had a pair, which ripped near the bottom of the gloves. Then I exchanged them for another pair. I boxed with two of my friends Frriday night (I won both fights) and this pair ripped as well (near the top of the glove). I was wondering if I could do anything for them to not tear (some kind of tape to cover it) or if there are gloves out there that are better. I just don't understand how everlast is so famous, but produces such bad quality. Thanks.
Are they cheap gloves, if so they are probably cheap materials. I always just duct taped my gloves good. "Gorilla Tape" is a good choice, it is tough as hell.

Highlander
04-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Are they cheap gloves, if so they are probably cheap materials. I always just duct taped my gloves good. "Gorilla Tape" is a good choice, it is tough as hell.

No ,they're not cheap, they're everlast. Wouldn't duct tape cause more cuts when you hit someone in the face? Wouldn't it make it more rough? What's gorilla tape? Would hockey tape work?

Ubermensch
04-15-2007, 11:29 PM
No ,they're not cheap, they're everlast. Wouldn't duct tape cause more cuts when you hit someone in the face? Wouldn't it make it more rough? What's gorilla tape? Would hockey tape work?
Everlast arn't very good. Get some Twins, Fairtex, Windy, or Combat Sports International. Everlast are some of the worst gloves out there and don't buy century either.

Highlander
04-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Everlast arn't very good. Get some Twins, Fairtex, Windy, or Combat Sports International. Everlast are some of the worst gloves out there and don't buy century either.

I thought everlast was the best company out there. Don't boxers use them? I thought they were famous for their quality.

Noob
04-15-2007, 11:47 PM

Agreed. Century and Everlast are both awful for boxing gloves. I'm not sure about the rest of their products, but their boxing gloves are not good.

I recently went through the process of buying a new pair of gloves, and went ahead and bought a pair of Fairtex. If you don't mind the money, they're the way to go imo. I love them, they're great for bag work, sparring, whatever.

If you don't want to spend near $100 for a pair of gloves, I would recommend either Twins or Windy City. I've used Twins and they're a very good brand, and a more cost-effective. A good pair will probably run you about $50-60 or so.

Good luck. If you upgrade from Everlast you will definitely love any of these other brands, they should all be a step up in quality for you.

Highlander
04-15-2007, 11:51 PM
I bought my everlast gloves at wal-mart for 30$ Canadian (about 34$ american). !00$ for gloves sounds really expensive.

Noob
04-16-2007, 12:14 AM
I bought my everlast gloves at wal-mart for 30$ Canadian (about 34$ american). !00$ for gloves sounds really expensive.

Lol, I said the same thing when I was looking for gloves. If you arenīt willing to spend at least $50 dollars (U.S.), you really won't be able to get quality stuff.

Twins has good stuff for about $50, I think that would be your best bet.

Highlander
04-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Lol, I said the same thing when I was looking for gloves. If you arenīt willing to spend at least $50 dollars (U.S.), you really won't be able to get quality stuff.

The thing is that I really don't box often. I don't train, I box for fun with my friends, but they don't like to box with me. I'll probably box the shit out of these, then when the're no good, I'll buy some good gloves. Thanks for all the help guys.

Clint, can you answer my questionn from before regarding the duct tape and the "gorilla tape" please? Thanks.

Ubermensch
04-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Combat Sports International... more boxers I know like them. Everlast Suck they were good I heard back in the 70's but what does that matter?

Highlander
04-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Combat Sports International... more boxers I know like them. Everlast Suck they were good I heard back in the 70's but what does that matter?

No, i just thought most boxers (nowadays) use everlast, so I was wondering my everlast gloves suck so much.

Ubermensch
04-16-2007, 12:32 AM

Yup Twins are the gods of gloves.. more a Kickboxing glove (my kind of glove) but who cares if you are just sparring and practicing with them.

Clint
04-16-2007, 12:54 AM
I never noticed any problem with the duct tape but then again we wore head gear alot of the times since we were usually drunk and in my basement boxing. Gorilla tape is just a really strong brand of duct tape. I imagine hockey tape would work decently. It's worth a try.

Clint
04-16-2007, 12:55 AM
No, i just thought most boxers (nowadays) use everlast, so I was wondering my everlast gloves suck so much.
I think the everlasts that boxer use are more expensive than the basic ones you get at the sporting goods store.

Highlander
04-16-2007, 01:12 AM
I never noticed any problem with the duct tape but then again we wore head gear alot of the times since we were usually drunk and in my basement boxing. Gorilla tape is just a really strong brand of duct tape. I imagine hockey tape would work decently. It's worth a try.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Noob
04-16-2007, 03:21 AM
I think the everlasts that boxer use are more expensive than the basic ones you get at the sporting goods store.

Yeah, they are. They have a boxing catalog that you can order that has their good stuff. They make some good stuff, just not the stuff you find in sporting good stores.

12oz
04-16-2007, 03:00 PM
i have 3 pairs of twins 12,14,16oz aswell as their mma gloves.cant see past them..in the uk everlast are considered a boxercise/low use glove,not really for hard use..i get my twins stuff from thailand, but your prices in the states might be just as competitive.

www.muaythaiart.com

Metalhead
04-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.