PDA

View Full Version : i need help finding a good regimen

mjs159
04-18-2007, 08:45 PM
hello,
i am new to this site and i was wondering if anyone could give me good advice on any mma workout regimens. I am 16 and I am just starting to get involved in mixed martial arts. if anyone has any suggestions on a good workout routine, i would greatly appreciate it.

thank you.

Noob
04-18-2007, 09:08 PM
hello,
i am new to this site and i was wondering if anyone could give me good advice on any mma workout regimens. I am 16 and I am just starting to get involved in mixed martial arts. if anyone has any suggestions on a good workout routine, i would greatly appreciate it.

thank you.

I'm sure a number of people will respond in more detail than me, but a rough approximation of a good regimen imo would include weights (if it's your preference, though it is certainly not necessary), interval training, a fair amount of cardio, some body-weight exercises, resistance band and maybe some kettle-bell training. A lot of it is up to you and your personal preference.

If you're just getting started, nothing beats just going and practicing MMA. All of these other things will make you faster and stronger and give you more endurance, but none of that means much if you don't have the tools to put them to.

My humble advice, train for 6 months before you worry about heavy conditioning. Take that time you would spend in the gym, and go drill your takedowns, ground work, and do some pad work or sparring.

Either way, good luck.

Rufio
04-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Hell, MMA training alone would probably do it for the cardio. By the time you've got some skills, chances are you'll have decent stamina and low body fat. Then you could just add lifting and concentrate on a protein/carb based diet.

mjs159
04-18-2007, 10:00 PM
ok guys thank you

Clint
04-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Hell, MMA training alone would probably do it for the cardio. By the time you've got some skills, chances are you'll have decent stamina and low body fat. Then you could just add lifting and concentrate on a protein/carb based diet.
I think you will need cardio training in addition to MMA training but I agree with Noob that right now your primary concern should be your MMA training.

What is your current conditioning like (have you played many other sports?) and how often is your MMA training/what does it involve?

Also right now your diet will be very important. It will make sure you body is getting the nutrients you need. What does it look like and are you taking any supplements.