PDA

View Full Version : Did Hughes seem rather humble tonite?

Steel
04-27-2007, 08:32 AM
With the exception of the BJ comments of course, I wonder if Dana told him to start sweeping to come of as a down to earth guy.

Just seemed weird to me, despite the Jens relationship.

Was good to see him minus the BJ comments.

mcdev88
04-27-2007, 08:37 AM
yeah him and jens seemed like brothers like they said. he is a down to earth guy, he just hypes up his fights by talking.

SimpleJack
04-27-2007, 08:54 AM
For once, I think Matt acknowledged that it was someone else's time to shine......that's kind of odd for him, but he came across well. God bless PR and Video editors.

SimpleJack
04-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I agree. But, I'm sure he spouted off a few times that weren't caught. They all do. They've also used a pretty good PR muzzle on old Jens.

NinjaShogunRua
04-27-2007, 09:08 AM
There's a TUF forum for this kind of stuff. Yoohoo Mods, wakeup.

SimpleJack
04-27-2007, 09:11 AM
There's a TUF forum for this kind of stuff. Yoohoo Mods, wakeup.
Isn't it ironic that I was talking to a mod?

gtijla
04-27-2007, 09:43 AM
With the exception of the BJ comments of course, I wonder if Dana told him to start sweeping to come of as a down to earth guy.

yea the BJ comment was about how his team probably isnt motivated, it really had nothing to do with anything involving hughes and penns relationship. thats not to say that he didnt say crap off camera about BJ but this particular time it was about the team.

Steel
04-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree Sundance..I would really like to see Hughes come back.

I do wonder how much editing went into the episode though:)

captonion
04-27-2007, 03:09 PM
I do wonder how much editing went into the episode though:)

Same here.

sneakybastaad
04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
I really don't see Matt Hughes getting anywhere fast. His next fight is against Matt Serra, and I really don't see him winning that. Not because Serra beat GSP, but because Hughes can't beat him standing up or on the ground...all he can do is lay and pray.

Ramma
04-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Matt behaved himself last night.. I would give him a rep point if I could

Howie
04-27-2007, 06:02 PM
haha...hughes is still a dick no matter what TV shows ya. let em have his moment in the sun again after TUF6 . it'll feel just as good as last time watchin GSP KO him :)

TriangleChoke
04-27-2007, 06:27 PM
You underestimate Matt Hughes.
exactly what i was thinking..look at the second frank trigg fight.. look at the first gsp fight..in the trigg fight hughes came back from almost being stopped and slammed the hell outta trigg and sub'd him. in the gsp fight i felt he was getting beaten until he got a sloppy takedown. he didnt really do much from there..u can even see gsp posting up against the cage looking into his corner with a facial expression like "he's not hurting me. he's not doing anythign," but out of NOWHERE he taps him via armbar with one second left in the round..i know many hate matt hughes, but he is a BADDDDD MAN at 170 lbs..i'm not saying he will beat gsp again, but i do think he will be champ again

Beatts35
04-27-2007, 06:31 PM
they didn't show enough of hughes to come up with anything one way or the other. him mopping the floor was funny.

billwilliams70
04-27-2007, 06:56 PM

Well, what exactly did he say about BJ Penn? Basically, (from what I heard) he said that Penn's team wasn't training the way they should.........and were they? No they weren't. Penn told Wang what to do, but he didn't coach him in how he was supposed to do it.

Later.

AudieMurphy1
04-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, what exactly did he say about BJ Penn? Basically, (from what I heard) he said that Penn's team wasn't training the way they should.........and were they? No they weren't. Penn told Wang what to do, but he didn't coach him in how he was supposed to do it.

Later.

exellent point about pen and his wang....lol...sorry i had to word it that way

Afro
04-27-2007, 08:58 PM

Later.
He didnt coach him in how he was suppose to do it??

They ran thru what Wang was suppose to do over and over again from what we saw and Wang did the exact opposite of what he did in practice.

Ramma
04-27-2007, 09:36 PM
exellent point about pen and his wang....lol...sorry i had to word it that way

lol

billwilliams70
04-27-2007, 09:44 PM
He didnt coach him in how he was suppose to do it??

They ran thru what Wang was suppose to do over and over again from what we saw and Wang did the exact opposite of what he did in practice.
Yeah, telling him what to do over and over again is different than the way Mendoza was shown going through defenses with Matt Hughes. Granted, the episode is an hour long and that footage of Penn actually coaching (hands-on) Wang might be on the cutting room floor.

Not all great fighters make great coaches, Penn looks to be one of them.

Later.

Afro
04-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah, telling him what to do over and over again is different than the way Mendoza was shown going through defenses with Matt Hughes. Granted, the episode is an hour long and that footage of Penn actually coaching (hands-on) Wang might be on the cutting room floor.

Not all great fighters make great coaches, Penn looks to be one of them.

Later.
Ok so how do you know he wasnt coaching him hands-on?

and no Wang would not of been the one cutting room floor, hes 5-6 going into the show.. Melendez had been trainign with Jeremy Horn most of his career, with a better record. Wang didnt do what he was coached to do, how can you pin that on Penn?

billwilliams70
04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Ok so how do you know he wasnt coaching him hands-on?

and no Wang would not of been the one cutting room floor, hes 5-6 going into the show.. Melendez had been trainign with Jeremy Horn most of his career, with a better record. Wang didnt do what he was coached to do, how can you pin that on Penn?
Argh, you're killing me Sam, killin' me! Maybe it wasn't shown on the air, maybe it'll make the special features on the DVD, but there wasn't much shown of Penn actually hands-on coaching Wang for this fight. Sure, he told him what do do, and we all saw that, but we didn't see him doing any hands-on coaching.

I'm not pinning Wang's choice to disregard what he was told (he obviously has a history of that) on Penn, but at 0-4, I do question Penn's ability to coach his team. I agree that Wang blew it, Penn's a great fighter and he gave the right advice.....Wang just disregarded it.

All I was saying is that it was perceived (due to editing and what's ended up on the cutting room floor) that Penn didn't do much hands-on coaching of Wang. It's all a matter of perception my friend.

Later.

Afro
04-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Argh, you're killing me Sam, killin' me! Maybe it wasn't shown on the air, maybe it'll make the special features on the DVD, but there wasn't much shown of Penn actually hands-on coaching Wang for this fight. Sure, he told him what do do, and we all saw that, but we didn't see him doing any hands-on coaching.

I'm not pinning Wang's choice to disregard what he was told (he obviously has a history of that) on Penn, but at 0-4, I do question Penn's ability to coach his team. I agree that Wang blew it, Penn's a great fighter and he gave the right advice.....Wang just disregarded it.

All I was saying is that it was perceived (due to editing and what's ended up on the cutting room floor) that Penn didn't do much hands-on coaching of Wang. It's all a matter of perception my friend.

Later.
Well fact is, all 4 guys that lost were not the better fighters going into the show, you cant name one fight where the better fighter didnt win so pinning it on the coach is bullshit

and another thing these fighters are asked to train within WEEKS of a fight, which is damn near impossible for one thing, it takes months to train for a fight and they got to do this shit within weeks so you should knock down your expectations just a little bit.

The whole point of the show is to stir drama, there gonna show what they want to show you cant assume that Penn isnt doing this and that unless they show EVERYTHING.

From what I saw, Wang knew what he had to do going into the fight so Penn OBVIOUSLY did his job, but you cant blame Penn for Wang's decision to disregard what he did in practice.

NixHex
04-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Maynard, Wiman, and Lauzon will all win their fights for Penn's team. Pulver has just had his best guys (Diaz, Manny) pick off lesser skilled fighters. Though I do think Emerson was one of Penn's better guys.

Afro
04-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Maynard, Wiman, and Lauzon will all win their fights for Penn's team. Pulver has just had his best guys (Diaz, Manny) pick off lesser skilled fighters. Though I do think Emerson was one of Penn's better guys.
Emerson has a 6-6 record in MMA though, he was a good fighter but Pulvers picking the teams and gave him a bad matchup and will continue to do so.. I mean Gabe could win a fight for Team Penn but hes facing Corey Hill whos a good wrestler, good striker, and Gabe has a weak chin.. another bad matchup. I dont see ANY PROBLEMS in EITHER of the Coaches there both doing a great job, but Pulver did a much better job of picking teams, and is doing a better job of playing the game and setting up the matchups.

billwilliams70
04-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Well fact is, all 4 guys that lost were not the better fighters going into the show, you cant name one fight where the better fighter didnt win so pinning it on the coach is bullshit

and another thing these fighters are asked to train within WEEKS of a fight, which is damn near impossible for one thing, it takes months to train for a fight and they got to do this shit within weeks so you should knock down your expectations just a little bit.

The whole point of the show is to stir drama, there gonna show what they want to show you cant assume that Penn isnt doing this and that unless they show EVERYTHING.

From what I saw, Wang knew what he had to do going into the fight so Penn OBVIOUSLY did his job, but you cant blame Penn for Wang's decision to disregard what he did in practice.
You mean shenanigans right?

Anyhow, what's shown is shown and what's not is not......and if the whole point of the show is to stir up drama, then it brings me back to my original post in defense of Matt Hughes.....he was stiring up drama.

Although each team has to prepare, in the time that they have for the opponent that they have to face. My expectations are not high.

Penn can do no wrong in your eyes. Every single one of his fighters could lose (won't happen though) and you'll say that Penn had nothing to do with it. Oh well.

Later.

Afro
04-27-2007, 10:23 PM
You mean shenanigans right?

Anyhow, what's shown is shown and what's not is not......and if the whole point of the show is to stir up drama, then it brings me back to my original post in defense of Matt Hughes.....he was stiring up drama.

Although each team has to prepare, in the time that they have for the opponent that they have to face. My expectations are not high.

Penn can do no wrong in your eyes. Every single one of his fighters could lose (won't happen though) and you'll say that Penn had nothing to do with it. Oh well.

Later.
Its not that Penn can do no wrong, its that hes not doing anything wrong and yet your calling him out on it because of what Hughes said.. I actually dont really care that Hughes feels that Penn isnt coaching right, Franklin came on TUF and gave Serra horrible advice! the point of the show is to stir drama.. but fact is, Penn did better for these fighters cuz they were not suppose to win there fights the fact that they actually lasted this long against there opponents shows you that Penn isnt taken them lightly.

I think some of you hate the fact that BJ has a lot of fans, and jump on any opportunity to put him down no matter how ridiculous it is.

billwilliams70
04-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Its not that Penn can do no wrong, its that hes not doing anything wrong and yet your calling him out on it because of what Hughes said.. I actually dont really care that Hughes feels that Penn isnt coaching right, Franklin came on TUF and gave Serra horrible advice! the point of the show is to stir drama.. but fact is, Penn did better for these fighters cuz they were not suppose to win there fights the fact that they actually lasted this long against there opponents shows you that Penn isnt taken them lightly.

I think some of you hate the fact that BJ has a lot of fans, and jump on any opportunity to put him down no matter how ridiculous it is.
I'm not basing my "judgement" of Penn on what Matt Hughes said. That really has nothing to do with it.

Regardless of who fought whom, do you think that Penn is doing a better job at coaching these guys than Pulver? Honestly.

I don't hate the fact that Penn has a lot of fans. He should, he's a fantastic fighter. Shamrock has a lot of fans too and he did a terrible job coaching TUF 3. Am I telling the truth or am I taking the opportunity to put him down because he has a lot of fans?

Later.

Afro
04-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm not basing my "judgement" of Penn on what Matt Hughes said. That really has nothing to do with it.

Regardless of who fought whom, do you think that Penn is doing a better job at coaching these guys than Pulver? Honestly.

I don't hate the fact that Penn has a lot of fans. He should, he's a fantastic fighter. Shamrock has a lot of fans too and he did a terrible job coaching TUF 3. Am I telling the truth or am I taking the opportunity to put him down because he has a lot of fans?

Later.
But you cant compare Shamrocks coaching to Penns coaching! Shamrock obviously didnt try nor did he care

I cant tell you whos the better coach, nor does it matter! I can tell you that Pulvers guys would of won those fights regardless if they were on the show or not, I can tell you that neither coach is doing a bad job cuz there not! both are doing a good job coaching whats it matter if one is better then the other?

all im saying is that its flawed to say that Penn didnt do this or didnt do that when you dont know that for a fact.

billwilliams70
04-27-2007, 10:54 PM
all im saying is that its flawed to say that Penn didnt do this or didnt do that when you dont know that for a fact.
Everything we say about this show is based upon what we see. I didn't see it, so I said it. What's done is done, let's move on and quit crying over spilled milk.

:ahh:

Later.

Afro
04-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Everything we say about this show is based upon what we see. I didn't see it, so I said it. What's done is done, let's move on and quit crying over spilled milk.

:ahh:

Later.
but theres nothign wrong with what you do see either lol

billwilliams70
04-27-2007, 11:04 PM
but theres nothign wrong with what you do see either lol
lol, Sam, and then some......

Later.

TriangleChoke
04-28-2007, 12:42 AM
could this be because bj was apathetic in picking his team? He was too busy crying about how he thought the fighters should get to choose what team they want to be on instead of thinking about which fighters had the most skill/potential.

:lmfao: that is almost the most absurd shit i have ever heard in my life. I think the reason some hate bj penn is because he could give 2 shits about training and supposedly hasnt taken fighting seriously..he won the title from matt hughes and then ran home with his belt like a little bitch. I am not saying bj is like this now..i'm a huge bj penn fan, but come on..."people hate the fact that bj has a lot of fans???" for once, take bj's nuts out of your mouth and dont ever say something ignorant like this again, PLEASE

Afro
04-28-2007, 12:44 AM
could this be because bj was apathetic in picking his team? He was too busy crying about how he thought the fighters should get to choose what team they want to be on instead of thinking about which fighters had the most skill/potential.

:lmfao: that is almost the most absurd shit i have ever heard in my life. I think the reason some hate bj penn is because he could give 2 shits about training and hasnt taken fighting seriously..he won the title from matt hughes and then ran home with his belt like a little bitch. I am not saying bj is like this now..i'm a huge bj penn fan, but come on..."people hate the fact that bj has a lot of fans???" for once, take bj's nuts out of your mouth and dont ever say something ignorant like this again, PLEASE
Thank you for explaining why that was ignorant.

TriangleChoke
04-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Thank you for explaining why that was ignorant.
YOU are being ignorant for saying people dont like the fact that bj has a lot of fans....YOU are apparently ignoring that bj won his belt and ran off like a little bitch and he was a little brat on the first episode of tuf because dana wouldnt let the fighters choose the team they wanted to be on. It also seems that you are ignoring that bj doesnt/didnt give 2 shits about his conditioning..at least care enough to prepare yourself for 3 ROUNDS. like i said, i'm a huge bj fan, but there are a number of reasons y some dont care much for bj penn...and I HIGHLY doubt his fan base is one of those reasons. I dont have time to get in a flame war with you right now, the lady's on my ass.
peace

Afro
04-28-2007, 12:51 AM
YOU are being ignorant for saying people dont like the fact that bj has a lot of fans....YOU are apparently ignoring that bj won his belt and ran off like a little bitch and he was a little brat on the first episode of tuf because dana wouldnt let the fighters choose the team they wanted to be on. It also seems that you are ignoring that bj doesnt/didnt give 2 shits about his conditioning..at least care enough to prepare yourself for 3 ROUNDS. like i said, i'm a huge bj fan, but there are a number of reasons y some dont care much for bj penn...and I HIGHLY doubt his fan base is one of those reasons. I dont have time to get in a flame war with you right now, the lady's on my ass.
peace
Its not ignorant to think that considering most people bash BJ because he has a lot of followers, thats a fact why do you think most BJ threads turn into arguments?

How am I ignoring the fact the BJ won his belt and ran off like a little bitch? that has nothing to do with this thread

How am I ignoring the fact that he doesnt give a shit about this conditioning? AGAIN NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD

this is the dumbest post ive ever read im not even gonna continue, go kill yourself if you hate life so much that you gotta come on a forum and start throwing insults around for no reason.

Bullock
04-28-2007, 01:01 AM
^^^LOL

About the thread subject:

Hughes is a humble guy for the most part. Sure he says asshole shit sometimes, but so does everybody.

Plus, he was w/ Jens' team, so of course he's gonna be super nice compared to when he was on TUF4 w/ GSP and Serra and a bunch of other WWs who wanted a shot at his title at the time.

TriangleChoke
04-28-2007, 01:23 AM
Its not ignorant to think that considering most people bash BJ because he has a lot of followers
now THIS is the dumbest post i have ever read...

How am I ignoring the fact the BJ won his belt and ran off like a little bitch? that has nothing to do with this thread
How am I ignoring the fact that he doesnt give a shit about this conditioning? AGAIN NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD
well you sure as hell didnt acknowledge the fact that bj won his belt and ran.........That has to do with you being ignorant to this issue

this is the dumbest post ive ever read im not even gonna continue, go kill yourself if you hate life so much that you gotta come on a forum and start throwing insults around for no reason.
haha you got spunk, kid. Whether it's a good reason or not, the reason i was hurling insults your way was because of your undying man love for bj penn....u r usually pretty good about not blatantly insulting someone on this forum, but u come off as a dick in MANY of your posts...but hey i do too..that's what the internet's for, slandering others anonymously. you seem to like to make people feel like their thoughts and opinions are inferior to yours..i find you hilarious cuz i think u are just a punk kid with a little too much time on his hands, but what do i know? anyway, my advice to you is to get a tissue and wipe your nose/eyes. getting flamed on is nothing to cry about :fingersmilie:

Afro
04-28-2007, 01:55 AM
now THIS is the dumbest post i have ever read...

well you sure as hell didnt acknowledge the fact that bj won his belt and ran.........That has to do with you being ignorant to this issue

haha you got spunk, kid. Whether it's a good reason or not, the reason i was hurling insults your way was because of your undying man love for bj penn....u r usually pretty good about not blatantly insulting someone on this forum, but u come off as a dick in MANY of your posts...but hey i do too..that's what the internet's for, slandering others anonymously. you seem to like to make people feel like their thoughts and opinions are inferior to yours..i find you hilarious cuz i think u are just a punk kid with a little too much time on his hands, but what do i know? anyway, my advice to you is to get a tissue and wipe your nose/eyes. getting flamed on is nothing to cry about :fingersmilie:
ok, no one gives a shit

TriangleChoke
04-28-2007, 02:01 AM
ok, no one gives a shit
maybe not, but i still find it quite hilarious. u getting mad, kid?

Afro
04-28-2007, 02:01 AM
maybe not, but i still find it quite hilarious. u getting mad, kid?
not at all :grinsmile1:

TriangleChoke
04-28-2007, 02:03 AM
not at all :grinsmile1:
glad to see you dried up all your tears :devil: